Error Invest: unable to login Quicken Windows but can login to web(Oops, something went wrong)

Options
skr
skr Member ✭✭

Summary:

This is totally not a "network issue". There is a bad coding in Quicken's code which is used for generating UA data. But it caused error on framework level.

Currently not yet found any method to solve UNLESS the quicken developer see this forum and update it ASAP.

This error case seems will only happen on windows computer which the original installation copy is non-English or the display language is non-English. Only tried on Win10 Pro CN.

Error Malfunction:

The Quicken software will always show "Oops, something went wrong" and require login again after enter password. The password is right, the Quicken is online(can login to Quicken Web), the network is good, all solve process given by the staff not work, reinstallation not work. But you maybe able to login on another computer.

This error exists 2 years ago at the first time I tried quicken. But I can use Quicken in my VM(in the same physical computer). I have contacted support many times but they always let me "reinstall". So I am enough and try my self to figure why.

I found there is an error in QuickenAuthorizationLog.txt:

qw PID(21076) TID(1) 27.1.55.15 3/19/24 10:49:50:495 PM ERROR Quicken.Services.Authentication.OAuth2Service "System.ArgumentException: Specified value has invalid Control characters.
Parameter name: value

and an error in QCSLog.txt:

INFO:SubscriptionClientService::ExportProductInformationRequest - Webmethod call didn't succeed and the failure response is: - AuthHeader is missing

Absolutely it means cannot download the license. However, after using wireshark, I found there is success login data. That means my logins are always succeed.

So I use dotPeek to decomplied the related dll and check why this error happened. At QAM.Authorization.AuthorizationClient.SignInWithWebAuthorizationResponse, the software will create a web client. During this process, the Quicken code will generate a custom UA header. The part of this info is from EnvironmentInfo.Instance.WindowsDisplayName.

However, this const will return some non-Unicode data, if your Windows is not in English, now or during the installation. If the second case, it wont be fixed even if you change everything to English. In my computer, even if my OS is English mode, this const will still return "MicrosoftWindows10专业版".

The non-English word will cause System.Net.CheckBadChars throw an exception and stop web client creating. However, The Quicken seems doesn't do anything and just return a general error message.

Solve:

I still havent solve it. Maybe I can try using cheat engine to force change the UA in memory. But I am not sure if I have to do this each time. Or re-install the entire OS. This is a big work.

The only way to solve this error is let QUicken Developer Team fix their years-old mistake.

I hope any offical staff can help solve this. Just remember, reinstall Quicken is useless and waste time. Never ask others "reinstall" if they said they already did. I have re-installed at least 50 times under your "support"

Related:

https://www.quicken.com/support/unable-sign-%E2%80%9Coops-unknown-error-or-%E2%80%9Ccheck-internet-connection%E2%80%9D-message-quicken-windows

Comments

• skr
    skr Member ✭✭
    Options

Well if the staff dont come here i will help myself. I re-complied the QAM.Authorization.dll and delete the related code. The system works now.

It is at QAM.Authorization.Internal.EnvironmentInfo.WindowsDisplayName. Delete the get method code and return any ASCII string you like. Dont forget to change the PubKeyToken.

• skr
    skr Member ✭✭
    Options

I am not sure if I publish my modified dll here is allowed by policy. If it is allowed please let me know otherwise I wont publish here.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited March 26
    Options

Hello @skr,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

I forwarded this issue to the proper channels to be further investigated. In the meantime, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.    

(CTP-9545)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.