Why is Quicken asking for my password every time I start it?

This has been discussed before, many times, but the discussions keep getting closed, so I'll start another.

I've been putting up with this for years, over several releases. Frankly, I think your software security people are a bit paranoid; I'm using a licensed version confirmed with a security key at install as well as logging in to the Quicken web site, yet every few weeks I'm asked to log in again, a somewhat tedious process as Quicken doesn't talk to my password manager so I have to switch to my browser, copy it, switch back and paste it in. Only, this week it's decided that I need to enter it EVERY TIME I launch it. Perhaps I should just change it to abcde - would that be more secure?

Please, stop doing this. I doubt it really cuts down on possible pirate copies - it's likely just driving away your customers.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @sheamuspatt,

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)

Keep in mind that the sign-in pop-up dialog may continuously keep popping back up throughout this process, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time it pops up until you reach the full sign-in screen.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• cdennett
    cdennett Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭

I get asked every single time I start Quicken and try to do anything, even check the preferences. Yes, I've done the sign in as different user many times, along with validate and super validate and nothing ever works. I too wish Quicken was able to interface with my password manager (Bitwarden in my case). It's been going on for months. I just wish Quicken would fix it. It's a giant pain.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @cdennett,

Thank you for adding to this discussion, though I apologize for the trouble you experienced.

If the above steps provided by Jasmine failed to resolve the issue for you, then we advise that you please contact Quicken Support instead, for further assistance and possible escalation if they see fit.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

I've logged out and back in to my Quicken account many times - I discovered, after several weeks of being unable to import bank transactions into Quicken, that it solved that problem, so have done it as necessary. (See my other discussion

I still need to log in at unpredictable times, sometimes daily it seems, or maybe weeks apart. It's just a nuisance since I have a licensed copy. I wonder if perhaps their algorithm is noticing a changing IP address - like most home users I don't have a static IP so it will change at unpredictable times.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if perhaps their algorithm is noticing a changing IP address - like most home users I don't have a static IP so it will change at unpredictable times.

How is your laptop / PC connected to the internet? Are you using an Ethernet cable from your laptop to the network router? Or are you using WiFi?

If you're using WiFi and you reconnect after having put your laptop to sleep or hibernate with Quicken open all the time, your router still should recognize and reconnect you using the same local IP address … unless your household uses many WiFi - connected devices constantly competing for IP addresses.

In my home, my laptop is connected using an Ethernet cable. The WiFi interface in Windows has been turned off.
    When I'm done using Quicken for the day, I shut Quicken down and create a backup of my data file. At night the laptop is set to hibernate. Haven't been prompted for my Quicken ID and password in many weeks.

BTW, to make sure that Quicken is allowed to update and save its configuration files please check if Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If it is, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in

I'm guessing that this might be why you're getting so many Quicken ID password prompts.

• sheamuspatt
    sheamuspatt Member ✭✭✭

I use WiFi on the desktop where I run Quicken but there aren't that many devices on the network; I'm pretty sure the local IP address is stable. It's the global network IP that I think might be changing more often, since it's assigned by our ISP (Bell Fibe).

We run McAfee anti-virus, so Windows Defender settings shouldn't be relevant.

• cdennett

My desktop is always on and is assigned a static local LAN address. My cable modem has had the same WAN IP address for longer than I can remember. I get asked every time for my Quicken ID and password. I've tried the "sign on as a different user" more times than I can count. At least in my case it is not due to a different IP address with LAN or WAN. Nor is it an anti-virus issue. I'm actually running Quicken on my Linux server using software that allows me to run Windows software. No anti-virus involved.

• UKR

OK, so I think we can say, it's not the IP address.
    But your statement

I'm actually running Quicken on my Linux server using software that allows me to run Windows software.

is bringing up an interesting point.
    I remember another discussion about running Quicken under a VM on a Mac, with an interesting solution … take a look and see if that helps.

• cdennett

Thanks for the pointer but I'm not running a Windows VM. It's a software package called WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) that allows me to run Windows software. I actually buy a license for a commercially supported version of this from Codeweavers.com. Works great!

• UKR

And what do WINE and Linux do with respect to blocking (or not) certain TCP/IP port numbers?

Have you looked?
    Is there a Linux security log file showing blocked IP traffic, etc.?

• cdennett

I've looked. I'm a retired UNIX/Linux system admin and have looked into all the logs and everywhere else I can think of. I do not have a firewall as my router provides that function. I've run network snoops and come up empty.

• UKR

come up empty.

Same here. Sorry, but I've reached the end of the line. I have no ideas on how to solve your issue.

I can only hope that someone else chimes in here with more ideas. I'm all out.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @cdennett,

Due to the nature of this issue, I recommend that you contact Quicken Support directly for further assistance as they have access to tools that we on the Community can't access and they're able to escalate the situation as needed.  The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

I apologize that I could not be of more assistance! 

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.