Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

191011121315»

Comments

• Paul Walker
    Paul Walker Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    DougM said:

I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug

Thank you Quicken Marcus.   I appreciate the open discussion about Quicken, which as been very much lacking.

Also appreciate the enhancement of Quicken for Mac.  However, one function lacking is greatly beneficial to us retired folks, is the retirement Planning subroutine in the Windows PC version.  Are there plans incorporate such into the Mac version?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    DougM said:

I would just like to express my appreciation to the current staff and management at Quicken for the progress they have made in making Quicken for Mac a much better product than it had been under the ownership of Intuit. I have been a Quicken Premier for Windows user for decades and had repeatedly tried to migrate to the Mac version to relieve myself of the need to maintain a Windows virtual machine on my Macs which was frankly just a pain and expensive too. I never expected the Mac versions to have all of the incredible functionality of the very mature Windows versions but with each new release of Quicken for Mac I would try it for a while just to see if I could "live with it." Up to this point the answer was always no and I would continue using the Windows editions. I believe that with the release of Quicken for Mac 2017 that answer has finally changed.

There is no question that the depth of functionality, reporting, tracking, graphing, planning, and the like of Quicken for Mac is far less than the Windows versions but the major bookkeeping and bill paying functions are now largely in place with this latest Mac version and can only get better from here. From the perspective of the consumer, Intuit always treated the Mac version of Quicken as something of a **** step child and never seemed to make much investment in its refinement and enhancement. With the splitting off of the Quicken product from Intuit I am hopeful (and if this latest release is any indication rightly so) that Quicken for Mac will now be on the path to the sort of functionality I have come to expect from the Windows versions. For the first time, even with some definite sacrifices, I am going to stick with the Mac version and leave Windows behind.

I would also like to commend "Quicken Marcus" for dedicating the time and patience to monitoring this forum and answering questions and complaints. That is no easy task and I know from personal experience that it is hard not to take some of the customer comments personally. Marcus is doing a great job and I am grateful that there is actually some customer service behind the Quicken product now, something that was a major gripe under the Intuit ownership. 

So...to the team at Quicken I want to say thank you and keep up the good work. There is a long way to go and lots to be done, but you have made some significant strides with this Mac release, so much so that I am actually going to stick with it this time. Keep going!

Cheers,
    Doug

I too appreciate the new pace that Quicken is being updated, and I am willing to pay for the service by paying for major upgrades -- the developers and new investors must be paid to keep it going.
  • Paul Schopf
    Paul Schopf Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    DougM said:

Cheers,
    Doug

I am (almost) in agreement with Doug's post, and today I have removed Quicken 2007 for Mac from my toolbar, and made the commitment to Quicken 2017.  The reports are not yet done, but overall, the product seems workable.  Much better than iBank (aka Banktivity) - which I had tried on and off, but never for more than a week.  

There is still much to do, but it looks like the new attitude is busy at work, and that I can trust my records to this new generation of software.  Given that Quicken 2007 will not work under Sierra, I feel that I am forced to find a new finance app.  I can (and would) hang on to El Cap' for several years, but the writing is on the wall - eventually there will be no hardware that will run Quicken 2007.

I have used Quicken since the last century, and I have been able to trust it as an archive of everything financial.  It looks to me like this version has the promise that I have been waiting for.
This discussion has been closed.