Quicken for Mac 2015 v2.9 Release

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
We're releasing Quicken for Mac 2015 v2.9 today.  Please post any issues with version 2.9 in this forum post.  This release has a lot of new stuff and will require that you convert to a Quicken ID to continue downloading transactions.  Here are the release notes.

Version 2.9.0 (Critical Free Upgrade)

To prevent service interruption, update now.

As part of Quicken's separation from Intuit, we will be migrating a number of services from Intuit to the secure, Quicken Cloud. If you are not on the latest Quicken version by September 30th, you will lose the ability to...
  • Create a new file
  • Make changes to your account
  • Download transactions
  • Use the mobile app
  • This is a free update
Version 2.9 has a number of feature and stability improvements.
  • NEW: The biggest change is the move to the new Quicken ID and Quicken cloud. After launching Quicken, you will be asked to create a new Quicken ID. You should be able to use the same email address and password that you used for your Intuit ID.
  • NEW: Quicken Connect transactions will now be delivered via the Quicken Cloud. Quicken will set up your accounts so your transactions continue to download without having to re-enter your banking credentials. This only affects Quicken Connect accounts.
  • NEW: As part of this change, Quicken Connect accounts will now download transactions in the background meaning you can continue to use Quicken. Direct Connect accounts including all investment accounts do not currently download in the background.
  • NEW: Moved stock quote updates to download in the background.
  • NEW: Added support for multiple Cloud accounts using the same Quicken ID. This means you don't need different IDs for each file.
  • NEW: There's a new mobile app. You will need a new Quicken mobile app to continue seeing your data. Go to the app store associated with your mobile device to get the latest Quicken mobile app.
In addition to Quicken Cloud features, we also made improvements throughout the product.

A brand new Reconcile experience
  • We've completely revamped the Reconcile feature. The new Reconcile feature calculates the beginning balance based on all uncleared transactions which is what Quicken Windows and Quicken 2007 does. This will result in a more accurate reconcile experience that makes sure your Quicken balance actually matches your online or statement balance. In the previous reconcile feature, your Quicken balance was not actually used in the reconcile process and could result in errors. This may mean that the first time you use this new feature you'll discover discrepancies that have always existed but weren't obvious when using the old reconcile feature. To quickly fix this, click on the gear icon to Start Fresh or Add an Adjustment.
  • NEW: Choose to reconcile against an online balance or paper statement.
  • NEW: Display only uncleared transactions.
  • NEW: Check or uncheck all transactions with one click.
  • NEW: Added payment and deposit columns in the Reconcile register.
  • NEW: Added payment and deposit totals in the reconcile screen.
  • IMPROVED: Clear column renamed to Clr so that the column can be narrowed.
    When this feature was introduced in Quicken for Mac 2016, it caused a lot of pain for customers because the old reconcile allowed transaction errors to be introduced in the file. We wrote a detailed explanation of how Reconcile works in a forum post called Quicken Mac v3.5 Reconcile Troubleshooting.
12-Month Budget Data Entry
  • NEW: You can now enter and create a 12-month budget. In 2015, you will still only be able to see one month at a time but you can plan for an entire year.
  • NEW: Now customize your budget with one-time-only, periodic and recurring monthly expenses.
We added a new feature and fixed a number of Portfolio View issues:
  • NEW: Portfolio Time Machine (As Of Date)
  • See the historical value of your portfolio and individual holdings at a particular point in time.
  • Track your investment performance over the past days, weeks, or years.
  • Gain deeper learning and insights for future investing.
  • IMPROVED: Greatly improved portfolio view performance. Most are seeing at least a 200% speed increase.
  • IMPROVED: Changed investment portfolio so that the number of shares display up to 6 decimal places. (This was a request from kelly1, smayer97, rgw2012, jacobs, billp, canuckguy, and m.c.crockett in Quicken Live Community).
  • IMPROVED: Quicken will automatically add price history for buy and sell transactions if there isn't current quote data for a particular day. This should result in improved charting.
  • IMPROVED: Portfolio view can now expand and fill the entire width of the screen.
  • BUG FIX: Fixed an issue where the security name would overlap the disclosure triangle if the name was really long.
  • BUG FIX: Fixed an issue in Portfolio View where the disclosure triangle would open multiple securities when in investment, brokerage, retirement or education views.
  • BUG FIX: Improved an issue where the chart would show spikes or dips due to stock splits or purchases.
  • BUG FIX: Fixed an issue where short sells and covered calls didn't appear in reports. (Thanks to Mr. Cribb for tracking this down and working with us to fix the issue.)
  • BUG FIX: Fixed the day change value for mutual funds when using Update All (Thanks to jtarver for bringing this to our attention).
We continue to make improvements and stability fixes throughout Quicken:
  • NEW: Now, finally, you can convert your Quicken Windows files (.QDF files) to Quicken Mac without Windows! The Windows to Mac conversion and file import now happens seamlessly on your Mac. No need to have access to a Windows computer or create a transfer (.QXF) file. All you need is your Quicken Windows (.QDF) file.
  • NEW: Now you can export Category Summary and Tax Schedule reports to a CSV file (compatible with Excel, Numbers and other spreadsheets). We've received a lot of requests for this one. Enjoy!
  • NEW: Added ability to create Quick Category and Tag reports by right clicking (CTRL+Click) on a transaction and selecting Report [Category or Tag].
  • IMPROVED: Dramatically reduced file size by eliminating unused data backups stored in the file.
  • IMPROVED: Eliminated width restrictions in reports so they can now expand and take up the full width of the screen.
  • IMPROVED: Updated Category, Tag, and Action screens to be consistent with Payee and Securities.
  • IMPROVED: Added an ability to easily fix a 324 dead account issue. Simply click Setup in Account Status window to fix your account.
  • FIXED Made a number of general stability improvements.
Updates

9/27 - Released Version 2.9.1 - This fixed a bad crash that would affect users who were still running MacOS 10.9.

9/29 - Released Version 2.9.2:
  • FIXED: Fixed an issue that would cause categories on linked transfers to be lost.
  • FIXED: Fixed an issue where deleted splits weren't getting propagated to the Quicken Cloud.
  • FIXED: Improved reliability of a fix for an MFA issue where customers received an MFA code but didn't have a screen to enter the code in.
  • NEW: Created a special Create Quicken ID screen for macOS Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) customers.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    BTW, you have one small mistake...you reference Version *3.6...you probably mean 2.9 ;-).

In fact the more I read this, the more it looks like a lot of details for QM2016 Release notes. Is that intentional?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    When I updated, suddenly I could no longer connect to my 403(b) account at Voya.  It sent me an error message, so I deactivated, then tried to reactivate, and was told Quicken can't connect to Voya.  Please help!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    After installing the update,  during the "updating your Quicken data" I am getting an error saying that a backup couldn't be copied because I do not have permission to access "backups".  It seems every time there is an update there are issues and I send all day fixing it to where the product works.  This is so frustrating.
  • QUserPaul
    QUserPaul Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

When I updated, suddenly I could no longer connect to my 403(b) account at Voya.  It sent me an error message, so I deactivated, then tried to reactivate, and was told Quicken can't connect to Voya.  Please help!

Exact same thing happened to me on Windows version Home and Business 2017 R15 (build 26.1.15.12)
  • QUserPaul
    QUserPaul Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

I opened a case with Voya and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Voya Institutional Plan Services, LLC.  We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry.  We are aware of similar reports of Quicken connection problems.  Voya is working on this issue, and we hope to have it resolved soon.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,
    Voya Email Services"
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks for your posts.  I've had a hell of a time getting Voya to fix Quicken errors on their part in the past--once it took 2 months--so it's good to know it is a "global" problem and that they're working on it.
  • Jay McAlevy
    Jay McAlevy Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    updated and now i can not update my online accounts in this new version. just does nothing. why oh why do i do this upgrade stuff.
  • Bruce Nelson
    Bruce Nelson Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I update to 2.9 and all looked good except in my checking account there was no info in the balance column. It was fine in all other accounts, credit card, savings, etc. I reset the filters, didn't work, closed & opened Quicken app. Not sure what I ended up doing but it finally showed balance.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    This release has completely borked the Status field. All my previous "blue dots" that indicated a reviewed item are clear. I can't change the status of any of the items.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017
    After updating I can not synchronize any accounts.  It gives me an error that it can't connect to the servers. I also get a notice that 2.9.1 is available but there is no file to download.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

This release has completely borked the Status field. All my previous "blue dots" that indicated a reviewed item are clear. I can't change the status of any of the items.

I have the same issue - so annoying.  Changing status does nothing and you have to go to a submenu to get to it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

After updating I can not synchronize any accounts.  It gives me an error that it can't connect to the servers. I also get a notice that 2.9.1 is available but there is no file to download.

2.9.1 was available this morning but I still have the same sync error.  Very annoying!

"Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers.  Try again later. If the error persists, contact Quicken Support."

I tried 3 chat sessions yesterday and was never connected to an agent.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

It doesn't seem to matter whether the transaction is marked as reviewed or not reviewed. There's an orange pencil icon that just stays there for all new transactions while all old transactions have the blue dots gone. Are you having the same issue?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

Exact same issue. All old statuses are gone, most are blank, new transactions marked with pencil. Trying to change status does nothing.

I tested Quicken 2017 briefly and it has the same issue.
  • Marika Young
    Marika Young Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017

Same here
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Tried to update last night due to the dire warnings and impending deadlines.  I had to change my password to conform to new standards.  All seemed well until I tried to re-enter.  My data file is gone.  It is nowhere on my computer.  Moreover, the new password nor the old one is recognized.  What a total mess!  As I write this, I've been on chat for over 4 hours and still not response.  As someone who's used Quicken for 20 years, and has been a beta tester for them in the past, this is unbelievable.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Roy said:

Tried to update last night due to the dire warnings and impending deadlines.  I had to change my password to conform to new standards.  All seemed well until I tried to re-enter.  My data file is gone.  It is nowhere on my computer.  Moreover, the new password nor the old one is recognized.  What a total mess!  As I write this, I've been on chat for over 4 hours and still not response.  As someone who's used Quicken for 20 years, and has been a beta tester for them in the past, this is unbelievable.

Clearly the wait times are not based on any real info...surprised? :-\

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

and same here.  I hope they fix this, and soon!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

BTW, you have one small mistake...you reference Version *3.6...you probably mean 2.9 ;-).

In fact the more I read this, the more it looks like a lot of details for QM2016 Release notes. Is that intentional?

Thanks for catching my typo. 

smayer97, you're quite perceptive.  2015 and 2016 are basically the same app now so 2015 customers kind of get a free upgrade to 2016 but we turned off a few of the big-ticket items like bill pay and 12-month budgets.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

After installing the update,  during the "updating your Quicken data" I am getting an error saying that a backup couldn't be copied because I do not have permission to access "backups".  It seems every time there is an update there are issues and I send all day fixing it to where the product works.  This is so frustrating.

We make a backup copy of your file so if something goes wrong you can always go back to your backup.  The error that you're mentioning doesn't sound like a Quicken issue.  For whatever reason, the macOS is telling Quicken that it can't write to your backup location.  Is your backup location locked or read-only for some reason?  Are others getting this issue?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

updated and now i can not update my online accounts in this new version. just does nothing. why oh why do i do this upgrade stuff.

Did you create a new Quicken ID?  If you don't create a Quicken ID, nothing will work.  We are no longer part of Intuit and are being forced to move everyone off of Intuit's technology infrastructure.  We don't have a choice so you don't have a choice.  You must create a Quicken ID or this won't work. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

I update to 2.9 and all looked good except in my checking account there was no info in the balance column. It was fine in all other accounts, credit card, savings, etc. I reset the filters, didn't work, closed & opened Quicken app. Not sure what I ended up doing but it finally showed balance.

Weird.  Thanks for reporting this.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2017

This isn't broken but the behavior is slightly different.  The way this works now is that if you see a blue dot it means it's an unreviewed downloaded transaction.  If it's reviewed there is no dot.  If you mark it as unreviewed again the dot should reappear.  The orange pencil identifies manually entered transactions.  When they are auto-matched with a downloaded transaction they will turn into blue pencils.  We changed this because a number of customers didn't want to see any icon when the transaction was reviewed.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

Did you create a new Quicken ID?  If you don't go through this process, no connected services will work.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

Marcus, it is broken. I’ve tried all 4 options. No change. I don’t sync with bank account and do everything manually, if that is a helpful hint for your eng team.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017
    Roy said:

There is no way Quicken deleted your file.  What does re-enter mean?  Are you saying when you relaunched Quicken?  When you launch Quicken and go to File : Open Recent what do you see?  Also, I don't think we pop-up the Sign In screen unless we're trying to open a file so there must be a file there.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017

I used to sort using that column for various reasons, but now it'll sort the hand-entered transactions separately from the downloaded.  But why do I care?  I'm more interested in reviewed or unreviewed, not whether it's hand-entered or not.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

To be clear, I cannot change the status of any transaction. This is a bug.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2017

Saty, you're right.  I was only thinking of the connected account situation.  I'm assuming you're seeing the orange pencil with no way to dismiss the pencil?  Let me know if you're seeing something else.  Barbara, you can filter by Not Reviewed.  Possibly that would help now that the sort has changed.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2017

Yes, I created a new id as part of the process I was walked through by the upgrade process.
This discussion has been closed.