Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Comments

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

I have come across a few bugs around scheduled transactions with a non-monthly schedule... Maybe the refactoring currently in progress will be an opportunity to fix these? Details below.

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new scheduled transaction in Bills & Income
    2. Set schedule to be twice a year, for example on 20 July 2017 and 20 December 2017
    3. Save
    4. Reopen the scheduled transactions : the schedule has been converted from twice a year to yearly.

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Do the same as above, but from one of the registered account this time.
    2. Save.
    3. Reopen from Bills & Income : the transaction shows as yearly instead of twice a year.

BUG 3
    1. Do the same as bug 2, but reopen the transaction from the register this time.
    2. Save.
    3. The transaction disappears and a dialog shows: "Transaction cannot be displayed in this filtered view." But there are no filters currently in place ! The transaction also no longer appears in Bills & Income. Has it been deleted completely? It is still lurking somewhere?

No, the register had no filter set, i.e. date was set to All Dates.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

There is also a formatting issue in reports for All Transactions. Notice below how HTML spaces ( ) are visible :

Usually, right after he posts about a new release, Marcus checks back in here a few times over the next few days. After that, he rarely posts here, and it's hard to say whether he or someone on the dev team is reading the comments here. (Someone from Quicken has said they do see them, even though they don't reply, but I've seen multiple instances where something reported as a bug in one of these threads comes up months later in a new release thread, and Marcus reacts like he hasn't been aware of the issue.)

My suggestion: in the few days after a new release, post here if it's an issue related to the new release (e.g. it's about a feature in the new release, or the new release seems to have broken something that was recently working.) Otherwise, go ahead and post here, but also submit a report (copy and paste) via the menu option inside the program.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

There is also a formatting issue in reports for All Transactions. Notice below how HTML spaces ( ) are visible :

5.4.2's pie chart on the Home Screen is totally different:

I like the enhancement. 

~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017

Until you get to the end of the month....and there are so many slices the descriptors can't be read.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I have come across a few bugs around scheduled transactions with a non-monthly schedule... Maybe the refactoring currently in progress will be an opportunity to fix these? Details below.

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    2. Set schedule to be twice a year, for example on 20 July 2017 and 20 December 2017
    3. Save
    4. Reopen the scheduled transactions : the schedule has been converted from twice a year to yearly.

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    2. Save.
    3. Reopen from Bills & Income : the transaction shows as yearly instead of twice a year.

BUG 3
    1. Do the same as bug 2, but reopen the transaction from the register this time.
    2. Save.
    3. The transaction disappears and a dialog shows: "Transaction cannot be displayed in this filtered view." But there are no filters currently in place ! The transaction also no longer appears in Bills & Income. Has it been deleted completely? It is still lurking somewhere?

No...that last one has to do with the account setting:

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017

@John Morrow... as jacobs suggests, do both (easy with copy/paste). If you have time, it would be great if you also called Quicken Support, but I understand there can be long wait times.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Bobalaska said:

I have a couple questions about IRR and ROI.
    1.  Are these only generic values, i.e. for the given holding period for the YTD, 1 and 3 year periods specified? Or are they specific to the individual investor?  For example, if I were bought GE a week ago, would the YTD value reflect GE's performance from January 1 until today, or from one week ago until today?
    2.  Either way, is any consideration being given to adding an option of being able to display ROI and/or IRR in the Portfolio Value view, so a user doe not have to use the drop down menu and go to Performance? I would prefer one window for sure.

Thanks.

Sorry.  We screwed up a configuration file.  Everything should be fine now.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

Having a discussion over here (in the SU Lounge) about the handling of monthly scheduled transactions that occur on the 29th, 20th or 31st of the month...

QM2018 handles this by pushing any of those dates to ALWAYS be the LAST DAY OF THE month...Not elegant.

QM2007 on the other hand gives a warning that not all months end with that date and gives the option to skip those months or to make then all the Last Day of the Month. Better but also not most elegant.

QWin on the other hand simply automatically assumes you mean the last day of the month and goes to the Last Day of the Monthly ONLY on months where that date does not exists, e.g. if the schedule is monthly on the 31st, on months that have less days, QWin makes it the last day (30th, 29th, 28th) for THAT month ONLY, then resumes on the 31st...(likewise for 30th and 29th).

Conclusion, it would be nice if QM2018 handled it the same way as QWin...or a combination of QWin and QM2007 (warning you and giving the option of what it will do).

Thanks for the pointer to the thread.  What we'll be working on is improving the UX and supporting editing a single instance.  To do this requires changing a bunch of things under-the-hood.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

There's an issue with the bills and income screen.  Notice it in the screenshot below: 
    See how the upcoming transactions view only takes a small portion of screen real estate below the graph.  Please fix this.  

I'm not able to reproduce that issue.  Can you tell me how you got into that state?  Is anyone else seeing this?  Do you have 2 monitors or a single monitor?  Did this happen when resizing the graph?
  • Stephen Tecot
    Stephen Tecot Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Marcus, I recently converted from Quicken for Mac 2007, then to 2017 and now 2018. All of my bonds came over as stocks. I need to be able to convert stocks to bonds.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Jeff said:

Is anyone else having QuickenCloud issues since upgrading to 5.4.1?  I am getting it every time I try to update my accounts.  I've waited longer than the hour and rebooted and tried multiple things but I'm still getting the error.

We always automatically backup your file before we update it for this very reason.  Under the file menu, you can use the Show Backups in Finder menu item to see all of the backups.   The ones we create when you upgrade start with "BACKUP ( Pre-Update)".  Unfortunately, we keep running into issues with the release which is why we stop upgrading people.  Most recently is an issue with the password dialog after the financial institution tells us a password change is required.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    Jeff said:

Is anyone else having QuickenCloud issues since upgrading to 5.4.1?  I am getting it every time I try to update my accounts.  I've waited longer than the hour and rebooted and tried multiple things but I'm still getting the error.

We always automatically backup your file before we update it for this very reason.  Under the file menu, you can use the Show Backups in Finder menu item to see all of the backups.   The ones we create when you upgrade start with "BACKUP ( Pre-Update)".  Unfortunately, we keep running into issues with the release which is why we stop upgrading people.  Most recently is an issue with the password dialog after the financial institution tells us a password change is required.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

Just downloaded the update 5.4.2. Looks like the column width modification appear to be working. Quicken is indeed remembering the widths I selected. Wondering if Marcus had a chance to review some of the bill & income issues RickO, QPW & I discussed a few weeks ago.  

The Portfolio View columns work sometimes but there are times when they will be reset.  This is why I didn't mention that they were fixed. They aren't fully fixed yet.  The columns in reports is a much bigger deal.  It was designed to work the way that it does so that it matches the printed output.  I personally think the screen report can be different than the printed version but was curious what others think? 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    jlgg said:

I just downloaded 5.4.2.  I know Marcus stated we would temporarily lose ability in Comparison Reports to drill down to register, but I noticed we also lost the ability to automatically show memos when clicking on categories. I can customize to show memo/notes but I have to do it each time I select a category.  Moreover, memos from split transactions don't appear at all.  For me, individually, the old Comparison Report was more useable.

Great feedback.  I'll take this back to the team.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Snoopy FC said:

There's an issue with the bills and income screen.  Notice it in the screenshot below: 
    See how the upcoming transactions view only takes a small portion of screen real estate below the graph.  Please fix this.  

I think it showed up after marking bills as paid/income as deposited under the projected balances tab.  I'm only using the built in monitor on my iMac.  I don't recall it happening when resizing the graph.  In fact resizing the graph has not affect on it.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    jacobs said:

I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 

Thanks for bringing this feature to my attention again.  What I'm wrestling with is whether to move forward with new reports or continue to refine the reports we have and adding more of the functionality like the one you described.  I'm inclined to keep improving what we've got especially as we work to replace our legacy reports with the new architecture.  There are always trade-offs.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017
    jacobs said:

I'm happy to see the ongoing incremental improvements in reports, but I continue to be frustrated with the report architecture that displays/prints subtotals on TOP of the data it totals. This is unlike any financial software I've ever used, and the reports are therefore unlike any financial reports I've ever read. Marcus, I hope moving subtotals below data (or at least an option to do so) is on your development roadmap. 

Thanks for bringing this feature to my attention again.  What I'm wrestling with is whether to move forward with new reports or continue to refine the reports we have and adding more of the functionality like the one you described.  I'm inclined to keep improving what we've got especially as we work to replace our legacy reports with the new architecture.  There are always trade-offs.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

Entering a *credit* transaction with cents, the cents portions is discarded upon entry. This is a rather annoying bug.

Steps to reproduce:
    0. Change currency to EUR and regional format to French.
    1. Create a new transaction.
    2. Set the amount to, for example, +3000,12
    3. Press enter. The transactions is registered, but the amount has been converted to (green) 3000,00

Oh gosh, that's a good find.  The weird thing is that -3000,12 appears to work fine.  It's only when you place the Plus in front of it.  Thanks for reporting this.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Just downloaded the update 5.4.2. Looks like the column width modification appear to be working. Quicken is indeed remembering the widths I selected. Wondering if Marcus had a chance to review some of the bill & income issues RickO, QPW & I discussed a few weeks ago.  

I believe in WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get, an Apple philoshophy since Macs were created)...QM2007 had no trouble with this. It even has a simple option (for user to select, not necessarily to implement) called Shrink Wide Pages to Fit...

The way it works is quite simple in concept...you can adjust your columns on screen as you see fit, for any report...the option simply tries to make all the columns fit on a page by changing the SCALE of the Page Setup...

The algorithm shrinks the scale but if it goes beyond a minimum, therefore it considers the scaling too small, it simply gives an error that it cannot be done and reverts the setting...

Always works...never had a problem...why not leverage those algorithms and implement that?

For those interested, you can add your VOTE to Report Formatting Options (another closely related one is Freeze left column for scrolling and shrink report for printing).

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    3. Save

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    2. Save.

BUG 3
    2. Save.

John, Thanks for the clear repro steps.  I'm able to reproduce the issue and have filed a ticket.  We'll see if we can get it fixed in the next big release.  In other words, not 5.4.x but 5.5.  I agree with smayer97 that the filter that is in place is the one in the Account Settings.  This is terrible UX and very hidden.  In QWin it's in the register and we should probably move this there as well but just haven't done it yet.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    jacobs said:

As much as I am really needing to see new report formats, especially columnar-type reports, which is the basis of so many reports, I am more inclined to say fix what is there first to get a complete set of features defined and working that should exist in a report, then replicate all the features into each new report. These include the following List of Requests for Report Related Features. 

If the reporting engine is designed correctly, the latter should be easy(ier) since all the report related features should be available in the engine, and should be a matter of activating them as necessary (more or less).

My thinking is that moving forward with new reports with features still left out means that all reports will appear half-baked...Just my opinion...

• Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

There is a formatting issue for Mortgages when the currency is Euro. See for example below the gibberish character next to the Principal and Interest amounts.

imageimage

Another good bug. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

I would put issues in my launch forum posts.  I or my head of test will go through these forums and write up tickets.  He rarely responds in the forum but he will review the comments in these posts and write up bugs in our bug database. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited December 2017

I would put issues in my launch forum posts.  I or my head of test will go through these forums and write up tickets.  He rarely responds in the forum but he will review the comments in these posts and write up bugs in our bug database. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    jacobs said:

@smayer97: Ha ha, that's exactly what I was thinking in response to Marcus' comment, but I was afraid you'd yell at me that you need them to implement new reports!  ;)

As Marcus says, both are needed, but it does seem to make sense to fill out the feature set first and then roll out that improved report system to more new reports.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    jacobs said:

lol...nice...we're on the same page  :-)

I am more inclined to say get it right first, then replicate...I find that to be more efficient from a leverage perspective...

So it seems at least the three of us are in agreement :-) 

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

BUG 1
    Steps to reproduce:
    3. Save

BUG 2
    Steps to reproduce:
    2. Save.

BUG 3
    2. Save.

Thanks Marcus, good to hear. smayer97, ah yes, I forgot about this damm hidden option !
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Marcus, is there any reason why the register toolbar is not present for Mortgages like it is for other account types? It would be handful to have the usual buttons available to, for example, press Reconcile (which I know you can get through other ways, but it has become a habit).
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Actually, Accounts > Reconcile... is greyed out in the Menu bar... Any reason why?
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017

Marcus, is there any reason why the register toolbar is not present for Mortgages like it is for other account types? It would be handful to have the usual buttons available to, for example, press Reconcile (which I know you can get through other ways, but it has become a habit).

Actually, Accounts > Reconcile... is greyed out in the Menu bar... Any reason why?
This discussion has been closed.