Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2017
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

Paul, are you aware that if you right-click on a transaction, there are options to Report on (payee name) and Report on (category name)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

I can't figure out how split works. I've read the manual, I think I understand the theory, but in practice it seems to work in creative ways whose logic I cannot understand.

EXAMPLE 1
    1. Create a new transaction
    2. Enter a category, for example Gift (this is the season) and an amount, for example -100,60
    3. Click Split
    4. Go to the second split line (it is empty)(the first line is the Gift of -100,60)
    5. Enter a category, for ex. Transfer, then an amount, for ex. -39
    6. The total is changed to -139,60, WHICH IS NOT want I want or assumed. My expectation is the total would keep constant and the first Split line would become -61,60

7. If I delete the first Split line, or the Second, or both, things get weirder. Sometimes QM asks me if I want to adjust the total, sometimes not. I cannot understand the logic between the two different behavior. 

So I tried this instead:

EXAMPLE 2
    1. Create new transaction
    2. Don't enter a category or amount, but to directly to the Split screen
    3. Enter Transfer and -39 on the first Split line
    4. Go to the second Split line. But I know only the total of -100,60, NOT the difference (-61,60) ! (and I don't want to compute it)

The behavior that I am expecting is as follows:
    1. Create a new transaction, enter the total (which I know from the receipt), for example -100,60
    2. Go to the first Split line, enter an amount, for ex. -39 (which I read from the receipt also)
    3. Go to the second Split line, enter a second amount, for example -10 (which I read from the receipt also)
    4. Automatically, the third Split line is changed to -51,60 (= -100,60 - 39 - 10) (which I don't know for the receipt because it is a sum of many small items, which I don't want to compute manually. Using the diff is much faster)

Splitting Transactions

Please reference the new conversation here: Split Transactions
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Marcus, is there any reason why the register toolbar is not present for Mortgages like it is for other account types? It would be handful to have the usual buttons available to, for example, press Reconcile (which I know you can get through other ways, but it has become a habit).

Hi John,  did you select the account you want to Reconcile before doing Accounts>Reconcile? If you didn't that's probably why Reconcile is greyed out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    Please fix the problem that when you export the .csv file on an report that had a column for check numbers, and then you import that .csv into Excel, YOU LOSE THE CHECK NUMBERS! It comes up "null". This is obviously really serious when you run large reports. Also, where is the ability to click on a transaction in a report where it would open the appropriate register to the transaction in question. Also pretty key functionality that is lost from prior versions of Quicken for Mac.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

I need some advice regarding loan management and maybe there is a bug (or feature).

I have created a new loan, with an opening balance of 120k€. I have also created an asset account to track the asset for the loan. At first, I entered a standalone transaction in the account for the asset to track the value of the asset.

But then I thought these were really the same transaction and should be linked, so I changed the Loan Opening Balance to a Transfer to the asset account. This quickly became a Split in order to record further details. And I also updated the date of LOB.

Probably a bad thing because Quicken promptly created a Balance Adjustment transaction and now my loan doubled in value. (In the database, hopefully not in the real world.)

Is this how Quicken is supposed to behave? Am I doing something wrong? Is changing the LOB transaction not supported yet?

BTW, my attempts at changing the LOB were partially inspired by:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-track-refinanced-loan
    I know this was written for Quicken Windows, but it should work similarly -eh, better!- on the Mac, shouldn't it?

Hi John, 

You could try the following:
    1. Create Asset
    2. Create Loan
    3. Edit Loan terms (with or without scheduled transaction)
    4. When that is done, edit the loan's Loan opening balance transaction, and change the category from "Adjustment" to "[Asset]" (that would be Transfer:[Asset] if long category names is on).

We are working on new features that will make this process easier, building in the linking of asset/loan accounts to the creation of either one. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Please fix the problem that when you export the .csv file on an report that had a column for check numbers, and then you import that .csv into Excel, YOU LOSE THE CHECK NUMBERS! It comes up "null". This is obviously really serious when you run large reports. Also, where is the ability to click on a transaction in a report where it would open the appropriate register to the transaction in question. Also pretty key functionality that is lost from prior versions of Quicken for Mac.

Hi Emily,

Can you tell me what types of reports (Summary, Transaction, Comparison etc) were you trying to export to CSV as well as testing the ability to open the appropriate register for a transaction? Please attach screenshots of the reports (especially where you see the check numbers).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

@quickentanushree: The first problem with the check numbers has been reported here before and is easy to reproduce:

Go to New Reports > Transaction > Subtotal By Category.
    Click Customize once the initial report is displayed.
    Click Columns.
    Select Check #
    Click Accounts.
    Select None, then select just a checking account (to keep the report simpler)
    Click OK

Note that the report now shows check numbers, where present on transactions.

Now click Export > Export to CSV file.

Open the .csv file in Excel or another spreadsheet program. Look for any transaction which on-screen has a check number in the report, and in the Excel file, that value shows as "(null)".

The second issue is something that product manager Marcus acknowledged was a known limitation of version 5.4 when in the first post of this thread: "We are temporarily losing the ability to drill down to the transaction in the register but we'll add this back in the next update." That was back about 6 weeks ago now, so I guess the underlying question being asked is how long will we be without this important feature which was removed in version 5.4?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

I concur. I can reproduce the export issue where the check number is replaced by "(null)".
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I reported this problem a month or so ago when 5.4.3 was released.  Quicken Marcus acknowledged the issue but it was not fixed in 5.4.4.  You will also find that the check numbers do not print if you try to print the report.  I don't know what other column data also fails in this way as I have not tested all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Looks like we've fixed the issue with the "null" check numbers in the Transaction Report csv export as part of the fix for the missing check numbers in the printed report reported by Craig in ER. These fixes will be included in the upcoming 5.5.0 release.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    rangersix said:

I just upgraded to Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x and now I get this error all the time. This account does not to be updated it's just the value of my house and I input that manually.

To follow up Balance discussion, we've changed it to always appear in the 5.5 beta and it now matches QWin so people can see how it works.  I just read through this thread and it sounds like most people would like us to not change this behavior so let us know what you think in the beta.  I think most of you who commented are beta customers.  I personally like it on when filtering the transaction list so I can have Quicken do the math for me for each transaction but I also understand the argument against it for different column sorts.  I spoke to Quicken Care and they said there was a similar debate for QWin but after turning it on and after people understood it was a calculated field they haven't really had any calls on it whereas we get a lot of calls on QMac for the balance missing.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    rangersix said:

if you go this route, any chance of making it optional?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018

I reported this problem a month or so ago when 5.4.3 was released.  Quicken Marcus acknowledged the issue but it was not fixed in 5.4.4.  You will also find that the check numbers do not print if you try to print the report.  I don't know what other column data also fails in this way as I have not tested all.

The issue is fixed in 5.5 but it was too big of a change to bring over to the 5.4 release.  When we do a small release like 5.4.4 we don't like to change too much because the more we change the higher likelihood of causing major issues.  We can only do targeted fixes.  We originally planned on having 5.5 out before Christmas but we didn't get everything finished in time so we decided to do a small update with just the low-risk fixes.  We are always working on the next version so when I say we've got a fix for the issue, I'm talking about the next major update and not the small updates.  The way our numbering system works is that the first number designates the release year.  In our case 5 represents the 2018 release.  The next number is the major changes for that release.  So we've had 4 major changes since the 2018 product launch.  The 3rd number represents the small bug fix releases.  We've had 4 small bug fix releases for the 5.4 release which is why the version number is 5.4.4.  I hope that helps explain how the version numbering works.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018
    Zoolook said:

When are you going to fix the multi-currency migration issue we spoke about at launch, and when is Quicken Mac going to have useful reporting? It’s a very expensive product to only have basic list reports - almost every other Mac based financial management application has far superior reporting.

Are you asking about the Linked Transfer issue when opening a Quicken Windows file?  This is fixed in 5.4.4.  In terms of reports, please state which reports you want.  smeyer also has a page where all the reports are being voted on so definitely go there to vote for the report you want.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018
    Batman said:

When selecting the Investing tab, the portfolio view takes about 30 seconds to display with the spinning beach ball. The 2017 version of the portfolio view displayed around 5 seconds. The portfolio is unusable with this delay. Also, Quicken 2018 for windows displays the portfolio instantly running VMWARE.

Try adding the "Day Gain Loss " and "Day Gain Loss %" columns to the "Performance" table view. No results display. Works when these columns are added to the "Portfolio Value" view.

Thanks for reporting this.  I'm able to reproduce it and will get it fixed.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Batman said:

When selecting the Investing tab, the portfolio view takes about 30 seconds to display with the spinning beach ball. The 2017 version of the portfolio view displayed around 5 seconds. The portfolio is unusable with this delay. Also, Quicken 2018 for windows displays the portfolio instantly running VMWARE.

Try adding the "Day Gain Loss " and "Day Gain Loss %" columns to the "Performance" table view. No results display. Works when these columns are added to the "Portfolio Value" view.

Marcus I believe you are aware that the column width adjustment is still  an issue, I find  myself continuously adjusting the column withs in multiple accounts.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018

Drag & Drop transactions between Brokerage (and other?) accounts.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Add shares into an investment account
    2. Dup transaction
    3. Drag and Drop to another account -ah, does not work yet alas!

ALTERNATIVE 1
    3. Select Brokerage in the side bar
    4. Change account for transaction 2. above -does not work either

ALTERNATIVE 2
    3. Get Info
    4. The account is not displayed and thus cannot be changed

It's so cool to be able to d&d with checking accounts and so sorely missing with brokerage accounts !

Thanks for the suggestion John.  It makes a lot of sense.  I don't know how hard it would be to do it but it would make sense to work that way given that checking works that way.  The reason it doesn't is the simple fact that the drag and drop stuff between checking accounts was done by the original Quicken Essentials team back in 2010 which didn't have support for investment transactions.  When we added support for investment transactions in 2015, we didn't do the extra work to make dragging and dropping work.  It's a matter of priorities.  If we do drag and drop for investment transactions it means we don't do Loans or more reports or something else.  To me, there are bigger needs from the Quicken Mac community which is why this still hasn't happened.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  

Interesting discussion.  I'll create a ticket for us to consider adding the ability to search for items in hidden accounts at least as an option someone can turn on.   In my opinion, our search needs a lot of work.
  • RickO
    edited January 2018
    rangersix said:

Yeah, like a preference "Always Show Balance in Register", default to unchecked.

Marcus... I'm curious how your case of a filtered register would work. If you have the register filtered down to say just a few transitions of a single payee, does the calculated running balance start at zero? Something else? You can already get the total of the transactions simply by selecting them. Isn't that enough? 

What about if you sort by Payee. Does it start at zero with "A" or "Z"? What happens when you get to the Opening Balance transaction and there's a huge jump? It just feels like it's going to lead to tons of confusion.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Can this be FIXED soon?

When entering QM2007 investment transactions, there are four fields that are entered in the register - number of shares, $ amount of transaction, commission, and share price. The share price is back-calculated from the first three parameters. Occasionally if one of the first three fields is edited during the transaction entry, the share price does not get updated properly and the transaction ends up being entered with this field having an incorrect value (i.e. it is not consistent with the shares/$/commission fields). This is no big deal because this share value doesn't seem to be used for much in QM2007.
       However, when importing this faulty transaction into QM2018, the total transaction cost is calculated from the number of shares, commission, and the (possibly incorrect) share price. This results in the transaction $ amount being incorrect, and the account cash balance starts to diverge from that in the QM2007 register.
    You are correct. But it doesn't take an "incorrect" share price to trigger the problem.

When entering investment transactions in Quicken 2007, number of shares, share price, commission, and total cost are equally important. Enter any three numbers and Quicken will calculate the other value. 

And, Q2007 will accept a transaction if the math works with rounding. For example, consider a mutual fund purchase of $5,000, where the closing NAV was $48.74. The mutual fund company will take $5,000 divided by $48.74 equals 102.5851, which the fund company rounds to 102.585 shares. Quicken would allow the transaction to be entered as Buy 102.585 shares at $48.74, for $5,000 total.

In Quicken 2016 and later, the share price is a derived field: transaction cost divided by number of shares gives the share price, to 6 decimal places, far more than the stock market actually supports. In Quicken 2018 you can't even enter the share price in a transaction. If the above transaction were originally entered in Q2018, it would calculate $5,000 cost divided by 102.585 shares equals $48.740069 share price.  

What is happening on the import is bizarre:
    1. The import completely ignores the total transaction cost that was entered in Q2007.
    2. It calculates a new, bogus total transaction cost: number of shares times the share price that was in the Q2007 transaction.
    3. Then it takes the total transaction cost that it fabricated, which may not match the actual transaction, and uses that to derive a new share price: total transaction cost divided by number of shares, to 6 decimal places.
    In the example above, it would first calculate a transaction cost of 102.585 shares times $48.74 equals $4,999.99. Then use that to derive new price: $4,999.99 divided by 102.585 is $48.739972. Which isn't even the share price that the same transaction would calculate if it were originally entered in Q2018!

The major error here is that Quicken is forgetting that total cost should be sacrosanct on the import, since that's what determines your cash balance. So if you have an account with a lot of history, the errors accumulate, until the account balance is wildly off.

Quicken Marcus, this issue keeps being asked about...see also here:
    Import of QM2007 Investment Transactions Needs a Bug Fix

Any info on addressing this issue?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Marcus, is there any reason why the register toolbar is not present for Mortgages like it is for other account types? It would be handful to have the usual buttons available to, for example, press Reconcile (which I know you can get through other ways, but it has become a habit).

Hi Tanu, the account IS selected indeed, but there is NO Menu Bar and NO reconcile option for Debt accounts. This does not seem logical and I need to reconcile such accounts as well. It's all the more intriguing/frustrating that the "Loan opening balance" transaction is marked as reconciled by QM.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Top categories are either "Expenses" or "Income", but there are cases when one would like to regroup sub-categories of both Income and Expense types (I have several such cases, personally). Quicken disallows this for customers, but, under the hood, it uses it in a number of occasions : Investments, Transfer, etc.. I would like this possibility to be opened up to us mere mortals.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Create a new top level category
    2. There is a choice only between Income and Expense types, and NOT "either"

This is likely going to be controversial. No flames please! 

Any feedback on this one? I really would like to be able to have top-level income/expense categories, just like you do. ;-)
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Account > Reconcile shows incorrect balances of downloaded transactions.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Edit account
    2. Setup transaction download
    3. Select Web Connect
    4. Update, then reconcile account
    6. The Online Balance is shown as -1,00 €, even though the QFX ledger and available balances are  -606.98 €  (see example below)

<LEDGERBAL><BALAMT>-606.98<DTASOF>20171216
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL><BALAMT>-606.98
    <DTASOF>20171216</AVAILBAL>

@marcus, I've found the origin of the bug that has frustrated me for so long. It's a bug in the Quicken QFX/OFX parser. When (at least) the QFX currency is set to EUR, QM expects the BALAMT field to be comma-formatted. This by the way is not quite conferment to the OFX spec.
    OFX 2.2, section 3.2.9.1 Basic Format
    Amount: Amounts that do not represent whole numbers (for example, 540.32), must include a decimal point or comma to indicate the start of the fractional amount. 
    There is no such issue with the TRNAMT field. It is always parsed properly, whether the transaction amount is dot or comma-separated. The fix should thus be relatively simple.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download or create a QFX file where the currency is EUR.
    2. Format transactions as comma or dot-separated.
    3. Format the balance as dots-separated
    4. Import the QFX file.
    5. QM displays the online balance is -1,00 €.

6. Format the balance as comma-separated.
    7. Reimport.
    8. QM displays the online balance properly as 5 132,26 €.image
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

I need some advice regarding loan management and maybe there is a bug (or feature).

I have created a new loan, with an opening balance of 120k€. I have also created an asset account to track the asset for the loan. At first, I entered a standalone transaction in the account for the asset to track the value of the asset.

But then I thought these were really the same transaction and should be linked, so I changed the Loan Opening Balance to a Transfer to the asset account. This quickly became a Split in order to record further details. And I also updated the date of LOB.

Probably a bad thing because Quicken promptly created a Balance Adjustment transaction and now my loan doubled in value. (In the database, hopefully not in the real world.)

Is this how Quicken is supposed to behave? Am I doing something wrong? Is changing the LOB transaction not supported yet?

BTW, my attempts at changing the LOB were partially inspired by:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-track-refinanced-loan
    I know this was written for Quicken Windows, but it should work similarly -eh, better!- on the Mac, shouldn't it?

Thanks Tanu. I've found and fixed the issue. QM does not like you to change the date the "Loan opening balance" transaction. If you don't, but only create a split, things work as expected.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Drag & Drop transactions between Brokerage (and other?) accounts.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Add shares into an investment account
    2. Dup transaction
    3. Drag and Drop to another account -ah, does not work yet alas!

ALTERNATIVE 1
    3. Select Brokerage in the side bar
    4. Change account for transaction 2. above -does not work either

ALTERNATIVE 2
    3. Get Info
    4. The account is not displayed and thus cannot be changed

It's so cool to be able to d&d with checking accounts and so sorely missing with brokerage accounts !

@marcus, I understand. Something to keep in mind though as it's one of the things that set you apart from competition. Drag & Drop for transactions, wow !
  • RickO
    edited January 2018

Top categories are either "Expenses" or "Income", but there are cases when one would like to regroup sub-categories of both Income and Expense types (I have several such cases, personally). Quicken disallows this for customers, but, under the hood, it uses it in a number of occasions : Investments, Transfer, etc.. I would like this possibility to be opened up to us mere mortals.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

John... my guess (no flames please)... this would take some significant development work. There are so many other needs and this is not an often asked for feature, so I doubt it will get attention any time soon. But, perhaps you will want to create a separate IDEA post for this and see how many votes it gets. The dev team does look at those idea posts.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

When will amounts/transactions included in hidden accounts be searchable and included in graphs?  With more than 20 years of Quicken data, I've got more than a few accounts that I need data from but don't use regularly (closed accounts).  The only way I know of now to have the transactions of these accounts (particularly investments) reflected in graphs is to maintain them as active on the left sidebar.  Can we add something to the following screen to allow access/updates from these accounts for searching all transactions and presentation on the investment graphs?
    It's a pain to activate the account only to allow searching within that account.  Maintaining these as active on the desktop only clutters the account list on the left sidebar.  

Marcus, you can also check out what I'm talking about in the data file I sent you yesterday.  There are 2 issues here: 1) the ability to search for transactions in hidden accounts in all transactions, and 2) the ability to hide investment accounts in the left sidebar while allowing that data to be displayed in the big picture/composite graphs for investments, retirement, education.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

John, If I understand correctly what you are suggesting, I too have experienced situations where not having a non-Income or Expense choice was annoying. I've learned to ignore the imprecision, but would like to see another choice. 

My suggestion is to start a new discussion. This one has gotten too labyrinthine for me to follow. Also, an IDEA post to see if others would find this useful.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Account > Reconcile shows incorrect balances of downloaded transactions.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Edit account
    2. Setup transaction download
    3. Select Web Connect
    4. Update, then reconcile account
    6. The Online Balance is shown as -1,00 €, even though the QFX ledger and available balances are  -606.98 €  (see example below)

<LEDGERBAL><BALAMT>-606.98<DTASOF>20171216
    </LEDGERBAL>
    <AVAILBAL><BALAMT>-606.98
    <DTASOF>20171216</AVAILBAL>

What I meant by the fix should be relatively simple is that the following lines should be changed from:
    case <TRNAMT>: decode_amt(input);
    case <BALAMT>: decode_bal(input);
    to:
    case <TRNAMT>: decode_amt(input);
    case <BALAMT>: decode_amt(input);
    or something similar.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Loans, I now have 2 scheduled transactions for the same loan ! This is one too many !

I am not quite sure how I ended up in that situation. I think a while back I edited the Loan Payment Terms and added an extra principal to match the bank Payment Schedule. And now, a month or so after, I am discovering that the target account has 2 transactions for January and 2 future scheduled transactions.

Here is the target account:
    imageimage

Here is the loan:
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.