Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.5.x Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
I'm excited to announce the release of Quicken Mac v5.5.x.  There's a heck of a lot of stuff in this release. If you run into any issues please report them here so we can find them quickly.  Let's dive in.
  • Canadian Features - This is a big release for our Canadian customers.  First off we've added the ability to define a file as being Canadian, US or both which turns on the features for each country.  Previously this was defined only by the subscription.  Now you'll be able to get Canadian tax line items and create a Canadian Tax Schedule report.
  • Improved Bills & Income - We've continued to work on Bills & Income.  First, we refreshed the overall look of the view and added logos for eBills.  We also added a brand new Payees section where you can see the Payees you want to pay to people on an ad hoc basis.  We also added a Status column so eBill errors appear in the Bills and Payee views. 
  • Improved Reports - You can now save a comparison, summary or transaction report as a custom report so you don't have to start from scratch.  You can now drill down on transaction reports and set column widths.  We also fixed a number of bugs reported here in the forums.
  • Improved Investments - We change the way the IRR performance calculation works and will now display results even if you didn't own the security at the beginning of the period.  We also added Opening Price to security price history download and import.
  • Dramatically Improved Auto-Backup Performance - Previously it would take a bit of time when quitting for auto-backup to complete. This should go a lot faster now.
  • Changed Running Balance - The running balance will now always display even if you're not sorted by date.  This now matches the behavior of Quicken Windows and is pretty useful when filtering in the register.
  • General bug fixes and stability improvements - Fixed a number of bugs in bill pay, clean-up of payees and other issues.
The official release notes are here.

Quicken Mac Team

UPDATES
2/1 - Released to a small number of customers.
2/2 - Released to everyone.
2/5 - We see an issue where importing a Quicken Essential file with investments can cause a crash.  We have a fixed this in Release 5.5.1 and have given the build to the Care team to distribute to those that call in with this issue.  We also see that a few people are crashing on launch because of an issue with their portfolio view.  This appears to be happening because the last view was set to an investment grouped register and one of the accounts in that group was deleted.  To launch Quicken without automatically opening the file, hold down SHIFT and double-click the app.  This will allow you to open a backup file.
2/9 - We're starting to roll out 5.5.2 that has dramatically faster investment transaction downloads, a fix for importing QEM files, a fix for tags in transaction reports, a fix for the transfer / holiday issue, a fix for the tax report and multi-currencies and a fix for check numbers getting lost after getting bill pay updates.  Thanks for reporting these issues.
2/12 - Unfortunately we found a Quicken Windows investment import issue in 5.5.2 so we stopped rolling it out.  We have a fix and will test and start rolling out 5.5.3 shortly.
2/13 - We started shipping v5.5.3 with fixes for QWin Investment import.  Another fix we added to this release is that investment placeholders will now start appearing in the transaction list again.

Comments

• mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have an issue, but it's a good one (figured you all might like success feedback amid bad news): 5.5 appears to have fixed the issue of one of my bond ETFs not appearing in Performance view on the Investing page. Thanks.
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018

I have an issue, but it's a good one (figured you all might like success feedback amid bad news): 5.5 appears to have fixed the issue of one of my bond ETFs not appearing in Performance view on the Investing page. Thanks.

Good news.  I'm glad your Bond ETF issue was fixed and thanks for going out of your way to report positive things in the forums too.  You didn't have to do that and we appreciate it.
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Confused on Bill Pay.  I just paid my Electric bill.  It is a variable payment. Now the future bill shows due in 38 days--does not show a pdf-- but ACTION states PAY NOW.  Why would it say PAY NOW?  Should say Waiting or something like that.

Also, would want to see the PDF before I pay the bill.  I want to look at it for correctness before I pay it.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    pauldv172 said:

Confused on Bill Pay.  I just paid my Electric bill.  It is a variable payment. Now the future bill shows due in 38 days--does not show a pdf-- but ACTION states PAY NOW.  Why would it say PAY NOW?  Should say Waiting or something like that.

Also, would want to see the PDF before I pay the bill.  I want to look at it for correctness before I pay it.

Hi Pauldv172,

Quicken offers the option for you to pay the bill early or whenever you like with the Pay Now button.  It's just an option, not a requirement. :)

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    pauldv172 said:

But the idea was to have the billing amount updated to the latest amount. 
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Like the Update. 
    I am a Canadian user, who bought the application from US site. I tried to contact Support to change my account to Canada before, but it has not been done for some reason. 
    Now looks like Quicken can detect my location, and promote me to change from 401K to RRSP, etc.
    Exactly what I want.

Great job and Thanks!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    how does bill pay work for a Canadian bill paid from a Canadian bank?  There does not seem to be an option to set a Canadian bank as the source of funds for bill pay
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

how does bill pay work for a Canadian bill paid from a Canadian bank?  There does not seem to be an option to set a Canadian bank as the source of funds for bill pay

Hi Paul,

I do not use that feature. All my bills are automatically charged to one of my Credit Card or a Checking Account. Hopeful somebody using that feature will provide an answer.

Regards,
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Still miss the ability to show memos/notes when drilling down in summary/comparison reports.
    I can restore the memos by customizing columns in the detail window, but I have to do it for each drill down.  Going back to 5.3.2, there was a "Show Memo/Notes toggle that enabled memos to automatically show for any drill down.  I use memos extensively to distinguish between transactions with the same category, so this is very important to me.  Hopefully you can restore this feature in a future update.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Bill Pay is not a feature available in Canada.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    zwzlife said:

Like the Update. 
    I am a Canadian user, who bought the application from US site. I tried to contact Support to change my account to Canada before, but it has not been done for some reason. 
    Now looks like Quicken can detect my location, and promote me to change from 401K to RRSP, etc.
    Exactly what I want.

Great job and Thanks!

Since we didn't have a Canadian version before 2018, a lot of our Canadian customers are using the US version including many of the most active people on these forums.  We had to figure out a way to allow them to continue to use the US version, if they wanted to, but still
    get Canadian features. It took us a lot longer to get this out because of the complexity of having to have the same product support both countries.  Thank you for reporting it works for you.  We already know there's still more work to do like TFSA isn't necessarily an investment account and other things but we wanted to get this version out as soon as we could so people could take advantage of what we have completed.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    zwzlife said:

Like the Update. 
    Exactly what I want.

Great job and Thanks!

The Performance View works for me now. It didn't show one of my holdings before, maybe because it has not been holden for a whole year. Now all holdings show.

However, one thing I and other users asked before has not been added/fixed yet. We need a Income column for the Portfolio View, and including that in the Gain/Loss calculation.
    For example, I have a bond ETF for a few years now. Its current market price is lower than the bought price, and Quicken shows me a small loss. But this is not right.
    During the years I have been paid about 2.8% interest every year. If these dividend/interest payments are tracked in an Income column, and included in the Gain/Loss calculation, it will give a more accurate picture. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018

Unfortunately, bill pay only works with the Direct Connect connection method and all our Canadian bank connections are Quicken Connect or Web Connect.  In addition, Quicken Bill Pay which allows one to pay from any bank even with Quicken Connect accounts only works if the customer has a US Social Security number and a US address. The problem is that the banking and money movement laws are different in each country and are highly regulated so it's possible our third party service providers have made the business decision not to support the Canadian market.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tax schedule does not work correctly, it will not show results of Capital gains/losses from Canadian dollars brokerage accounts
    it only shows the ones form USD brokerage accounts
    My main currency is Canadian dollar, even if I set up Canadian, US or both
    the results are wrong in tax schedule ( not showing any Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts results)
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gilles said:

Tax schedule does not work correctly, it will not show results of Capital gains/losses from Canadian dollars brokerage accounts
    the results are wrong in tax schedule ( not showing any Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts results)

They shows for me, under Schedule 3. 
    Try to change to Last Year, and make sure the accounts, categories are included in Customize, and see what happen.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    jlgg said:

Still miss the ability to show memos/notes when drilling down in summary/comparison reports.
    I can restore the memos by customizing columns in the detail window, but I have to do it for each drill down.  Going back to 5.3.2, there was a "Show Memo/Notes toggle that enabled memos to automatically show for any drill down.  I use memos extensively to distinguish between transactions with the same category, so this is very important to me.  Hopefully you can restore this feature in a future update.

Yes.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention again.  I'll see if we can get a solution into the next release.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Please PLEASE add the following feature:  Transaction Splits by PERCENTAGE
    It would be SO helpful to be able to assign a memorized percentage split for transactions.  Here is an example of what and why...

I have a home business and would like to allocate expenses to multiple categories.  

Internet/Phone Bill:  50% Personal & 50% Business
    City Power/Sewer:  70% Personal & 30% Business
    Rent/Mortgage:  70% Personal & 30% Business
    Auto Expenses:  50% Personal & 50% Business
    Groceries:  90% Personal & 10% Business
    Apple Music:  75% Personal & 25% Business
    Etc, etc, etc...

To have to manually enter currency amounts seems undue, especially since so many other aspects of a transaction can be memorized.  

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Do you think this is possible and could be implemented in a future (or current!) release?

Thanks so much for your time,

Chris
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018
    pauldv172 said:

It's a little confusing and thanks for bringing this up.  Let me give you some background.
    1) We can NOT get PDF statements for every biller so you won't always have a PDF statement but if you didn't get it through us you could go to the biller site and look it up.  I also agree that I would want to double check that Quicken got the right amount, etc before paying.
    2) Even if we don't get the actual PDF statement, we will get an updated balance due which updates the scheduled transaction.
    3) Great suggestion on the Pay Now button.  We really should say Waiting for Bill or something and then have that go away when we get the updated balance due so you know it's been updated.

Again thanks for your thoughts.  The BIlls & Income feature is really useful but we can and will do better to make things more obvious.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

It would be SO helpful to be able to assign a memorized percentage split for transactions.  Here is an example of what and why...

I have a home business and would like to allocate expenses to multiple categories.  

Etc, etc, etc...

To have to manually enter currency amounts seems undue, especially since so many other aspects of a transaction can be memorized.  

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Do you think this is possible and could be implemented in a future (or current!) release?

Chris

Now with the tax forms for Canada (and previously for US), this is a great idea.

This thread is about discussing the current version. I would suggest creating a new IDEA post. The developers do review these.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2018

Etc, etc, etc...

Chris

I like the idea and it totally makes sense.  I think forum user smayer would say, please write this up as an idea and then have people vote it up (It's funny, smayer was doing that at the same time I was writing this and his post is above).   In full transparency, we probably wouldn't get to this for awhile.  We first have to start doing renaming rules and memorized transactions and syncing those to the cloud before we could think about your proposed enhancement.  We plan on doing the renaming rules work this year so at least the first part is coming.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gilles said:

Does not work even for last year
    but if I choose the Tax schedule (US) I see all transactions either from USD or CAD Brokerage accounts

I also tried to customize, no success
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gilles said:

One thing I see in the US part and not in the Canadian tax schedule is
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Etc, etc, etc...

Chris

Thanks for the input...I know you are also placing priority on reports...but I sure hope that emphasis is also being placed on other outstanding features that will help users of QM2007 migrate their data over, as listed here:

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    jlgg said:

I'd also like to be able to select the defaults for those reports, such that it always shows the memo field when I open one of those reports for closer inspection.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018

Etc, etc, etc...

Chris

I've had this issue with bill tracking on the Bills & income tab with 2018 from when I upgrade almost immediately after the program came out. I've called in to support, and posted to the community to no avail. I keep hoping it will get fixed with the each update. It still continues with this update.
    I have several scheduled bills with USAA (e.g. credit card, car insurance, car maintenance agreement, etc). I have no trouble downloading transactions from my credit card and checking accounts through direct connect. However, I'd like to turn my scheduled transactions into linked eBills. I've tried linking existing scheduled transactions, as well as eliminating prior versions and establishing new bills. When I go through the linking process, I enter all of my credentials as prompted (ie user name, password, pin #, and secret question answer) and they're accepted. I've consistently ended up with the following screen, with nothing happening later as promised. the bills never link. Its pretty frustrating since the feature is one reason I upgraded so soon, and USAA is shown as "one of these popular eBill providers"

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Gilles said:

testing different scenarios
    If I have more than 1 buy/sell ( capital gains/losses ) in Canadian dollars Brokerage accounts then tax schedule 3 will show me the right results but will omit the one US dollars Brokerage account where I do have a capital gain

If I have 1 buy/sell in a Canadian dollar account and 1 buy/sell in a US dollar account, then only the US one will show

If I have 2 buy/seel in US dollars accounts, only the US ones will show

There seem to be something happening with USD and CAD but there is no such option in Tax schedule 3..to show either one or as in the US tax schedule where there is two sections: one for USD and one for CAD....maybe if there was it would not be a problem

can't find a way to show both ( CAD and USD) in Schedule 3

In the US tax schedule, Canadian dollars and US dollars shows in 2 different sections and all transactions are accounted for under their right currencies
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am trying to do an online transfer from my checking account to may saving account.  When I hit pay now, I get a message: 
    Wells Fargo Bank cannot deliver your payment to Transfer For Save For by 02/03/18 because that date falls on a weekend or holiday.  The date will be changed to 02/05/18.

I clicked ok but it will not change the date nor will it let me manually change the date.  I have to cancel the transaction.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Jim3
    Jim3 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

Etc, etc, etc...

Chris

As a long term QMac user, I pretty much ignore the 2018 notices. I am not willing to tether myself to the subscription model. If they ever have a non-subscription model, I would gladly pay for the upgrade as I did for so many years.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018

Etc, etc, etc...

Chris

If you upgraded every year, you are actually saving money with the subscription model. If you upgraded every two years, you are about breaking even (although Amazon has a sale today only that makes is WAY cheaper).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.