Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.4.x Released

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    There's a bug in QM 5.4.4.  The result is a new transaction in a destination account when I add a modified transfer transaction.  Here're the steps to reproduce: 
    1. Add a new transaction to a checking account to transfer money from one account to another
    2. Add a transaction using the entry you just completed, but change the transfer to just a category
    3. The result is a transaction that appears in both the original and transfer destination accounts even though I didn't tell it to transfer the money.  This clearly needs to be fixed.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Deleting a scheduled transaction in Bills & Income resets the filter.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Go to Bills & Income
    2. Set filter to Next One Due for ex.
    3. Delete one of the scheduled transactions
    4. The filter is reset (and shouldn't be)
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Scheduled transactions for a mortgage are not amortized.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Create a new mortgage
    2. Go to Payments to view transactions
    3. Go to Settings
    4. Select: Show all occurrences in the next: 12 months
    5. Scheduled transactions are displayed but not amortize. The amount of the first scheduled transaction is correct, but not the ones after that. It's a pity, because it would be a good way to see how your mortgage evolves over time.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

There's a bug in QM 5.4.4.  The result is a new transaction in a destination account when I add a modified transfer transaction.  Here're the steps to reproduce: 
    1. Add a new transaction to a checking account to transfer money from one account to another
    2. Add a transaction using the entry you just completed, but change the transfer to just a category
    3. The result is a transaction that appears in both the original and transfer destination accounts even though I didn't tell it to transfer the money.  This clearly needs to be fixed.  

It is a design flaw for sure...I reported this to Quicken during Beta even before this feature was released in QM2017 v4.3 (over 1 yr ago in Nov 2016) but needs to continue to be reported. 

The issue is that what you did allows the categorization of a transfer if you wish but if you re-use a transfer transaction, the only way to remove the transfer is to make the Transfer column visible. This defeats the very purpose to be able to enter transfers in the Category field without the Transfer field visible. The added problem is that the user has no visibility to the fact that a re-used transaction may have a transfer nor an easy way to edit it.

I would submit this using the "Report a Problem" via the Help menu for greater visibility of the problem by the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

The product manager is aware of the issue and has said it will be fixed. Doesn't hurt to report again though.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

Thanks guys!  I've noticed the issue for some time, but wasn't clear on how to reproduce the issue until it was crystal clear today.  I've submitted it via report a problem.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

@RickO, I do not recall anyone acknowledging this issue. Do you know when/where this was mentioned?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• RickO
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

privately
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Snoopy FC said:

Ok. No wonder I do not recall seeing it  :-P

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Could you comment on whether Quicken is planning to implement an update that will allow including/excluding transfers in the Budget? As one poster said: "...it's not a budget if I can't track money going to my mortgage, saving for my kids colleges, saving for my retirement."

The following is where users have commented extensively, and it is highly voted for feature. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-b...

The reason I am posting is because we have not heard anything from Quicken about this matter, and some information would be nice. 

I, for one, will purchase Quicken for Mac 2018 IMMEDIATELY if this feature is added. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2018

Could you comment on whether Quicken is planning to implement an update that will allow including/excluding transfers in the Budget? As one poster said: "...it's not a budget if I can't track money going to my mortgage, saving for my kids colleges, saving for my retirement."

The following is where users have commented extensively, and it is highly voted for feature. 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-include-or-exclude-transfers-on-b...

The reason I am posting is because we have not heard anything from Quicken about this matter, and some information would be nice. 

I, for one, will purchase Quicken for Mac 2018 IMMEDIATELY if this feature is added. 

The Quicken product manager acknowledged last year the need for fund transfers to be supported for both reporting and budgeting. He also said he couldn't say when these changes would be completed and released. He/Quicken do not typically pre-announce upcoming features, so we have no insight yet when this functionality will appear.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

You can see the info provided by Marcus in that very discussion thread here:

(actually, that link simply points back to a post by Marcus earlier in THIS thread here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-4-x-released?topic-reply...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

D H, I have used Quicken for years but when I had to upgrade 2007 because I upgraded my Mac it became nearly impossible to use. I do not need budgeting, I do not need imports from my bank. I will balance my own checkbook without the help of my bank. I keep saying, please can't I go back to the user friendly version that I used to have.
  • jacobs
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

Marcus... some nice additions here. There are some cosmetic problems with the new ability to customize Transaction Report columns:

1) The placement of the column customization is not consistent with other parts of the program. Here it is within Customize settings. In other places (e.g.. Portfolio View), there is a Columns button image on the row of buttons at the top. Other places, you can also right click on the column headers to choose columns. Both of the latter options would be preferred.

2) The Notes column should properly be called Memo/Notes to agree with the registers.

3) When you add a column such as Memo/Notes, it gets added quite wide which pushes the Amount column off screen to the right. That might not be such a problem as long as the user notices and resizes columns. But... the column width settings don't stick; they again become very wide as soon as you leave the report and return to it.

4) What is the ATTM column? That's not a column in a transaction register. Is it a misnomer for something else?

One more suggestion: (and this applies throughout the program)... In other Mac programs there is sometimes a convention that shift-clicking or command-clicking on a disclosure triangle will collapse all (if you click on an open one), or expand all (if you click on a closed one). That would be very helpful throughout Quicken. This could also be accomplished with little Expand All and Collapse All buttons on the button row.

Nancy, there is no going back to Quicken 2007, for better or worse. (Well, there are some ways, which I don't want to go into here because they're complicated and require some jumping through hoops -- and likely won't last you too long before you're back staring at moving to the modern Quicken.) Much of the code in Quicken 2007 dates back two decades, and much of it just won't work on the Mac going forward. That's why the developers decided they needed to start over, originally in 2010 with Quicken Essentials, and then with the significantly enhanced Quicken 2015, up through the current 2018.

The user interface is different, but I find that if you're not using budgeting or downloading from your bank (the source of the greatest number of problems and complaints), the modern Quicken for Mac is pretty nice to use once you get used to the user interface. To be sure, there are some features of Quicken 2007 which don't exist yet in Quicken 2018, especially with some reports and investment analysis tools. But for a user who basically wants to enter and manage basic bank accounts, credit cards, and perhaps some investments, Quicken 2018 is pretty capable.

If there are specific things you're having trouble understanding how to do in the modern Quicken, I suggest you start a new post (at the very top of this page) and describe what problems you're encountering. It may be that there are some non-intuitive things users her can help you with so you'll be happier with the new Quicken.
  • John Morrow
    John Morrow Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have come across a bug that results in TRANSACTION LOSS. It has to do with matching one side of the transfer with non-matching transaction. Details below.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create a +500 transfer T from account A to account B
    2. Import a QFX statement in account A that matches transaction Ta
    3. In account B, inadvertently match (manually, by d&d) transaction Tb with an existing transaction Z of -30. (Even if the amounts do not match, the match was accepted by QM.)
    4. Transaction T is deleted in both accounts A and B ! 
    5. And transaction Z now also appears in account A ! (and not as a transfer) (and as a cleared transaction)
    At least I think this is what happened and that I could reconstruct after the fact, because I do not want to mess again with my QM data file.

Here's what I had to do to fix my data, and why I think my understanding of the issue is correct:
    1. Recreate the +500 transfer T
    2. Unmatch the -30 transaction Z in account A
    3. Unmatch the -30 transaction Z in account B
    4. Match each side of T with Za and Zb
  • Bonnie Optekman
    Bonnie Optekman Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

I recently migrated to a new MacBook Pro from a PC. I've spoken to customer support many times during this transition.

And my remaining issue is that MEMO/NOTES in a transaction split line in a TRANSACTION report (with a sub of CATEGORIES) do not show up. For example, if there are 10 split lines I created for a MASTERCARD payment, there are 10 lines all with PAYEE: MASTERCARD and the same memo/note which is the bank transaction number - not the memo I carefully created.

I've found many differences from Quicken for Windows and many inconsistencies. The reporting seems to be the worst one. It's not intuitive at all.

And now, if I don't have this feature, it won't be helpful to me at all. And I need this for my taxes.

Quicken 2018 5.4.4
    Mac High Sierra 10.13.3

Thank you in advance.
    Bonnie
  • Bonnie Optekman
    edited January 2018
    RickO said:

I recently migrated to a new MacBook Pro from a PC. I've spoken to customer support many times during this transition.

And my remaining issue is that MEMO/NOTES in a transaction split line in a TRANSACTION report (with a sub of CATEGORIES) do not show up. For example, if there are 10 split lines I created for a MASTERCARD payment, there are 10 lines all with PAYEE: MASTERCARD and the same memo/note which is the bank transaction number - not the memo I carefully created.

I've found many differences from Quicken for Windows and many inconsistencies. The reporting seems to be the worst one. It's not intuitive at all.

And now, if I don't have this feature, it won't be helpful to me at all. And I need this for my taxes.

Quicken 2018 5.4.4
    Mac High Sierra 10.13.3

Thank you in advance.
    Bonnie
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Bonnie, 

The issue with the Transaction report picking up the memo from the main transaction line instead of each split has been report and acknowledged by the dev team. A fix is coming in a future update.

In the mean time, have you tried the Category Summary report. That one does pick up the individual split memo lines. Perhaps it will fill your needs for now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

I've used Quicken for about 20 years now, and like Nancy Chesnutt above, only for the basics. Yesterday Quicken cust. svc. convinced me to upgrade to Quicken Starter 2018 as they told me what I had wouldn't work anyway past April. I hate it. I'm already having trouble with the balance not showing, and I don't understand from the answers here how to fix it. I decided to download my transactions from the bank and I don't even know who the checks are made out to! Quicken needs to make a version for checkbook balancing ONLY. Where someone can manually do what they want and keep track of it all on a computer; use the information for reports when necessary and not much more. Those customers really are out there. :-)))
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

I've used Quicken for about 20 years now, and like Nancy Chesnutt above, only for the basics. Yesterday Quicken cust. svc. convinced me to upgrade to Quicken Starter 2018 as they told me what I had wouldn't work anyway past April. I hate it. I'm already having trouble with the balance not showing, and I don't understand from the answers here how to fix it. I decided to download my transactions from the bank and I don't even know who the checks are made out to! Quicken needs to make a version for checkbook balancing ONLY. Where someone can manually do what they want and keep track of it all on a computer; use the information for reports when necessary and not much more. Those customers really are out there. :-)))
  • jacobs
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

@sue28, this is getting off-topic, but I wanted to make sure you are aware of something. You said that Quicken Support convinced you to upgrade/migrate  to Quicken Starter 2018. This is the only version of Quicken where you will *have* to pay for an ongoing subscription annually just to use Quicken. (You will be able to access you existing data and reports, but you won't be able to add new transactions manually unless you renew your subscription each year.)

From your description of your needs, I believe you might be better off with Quicken Deluxe. It costs a few dollars more, but with a Quicken Deluxe subscription, you can set it not to auto-renew after the first year, and you can continue to use the software indefinitely for manual entry. You might pay to upgrade after 3 or 5 years or so just to stay somewhat current and insure it will keep working with any upgrades to your computer's operating system, but you wouldn't need to pay an annual subscription if you're content to enter your transactions manually instead of downloading them.

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this key difference between Quicken Starter and Quicken Deluxe.  If you decide you'd prefer to switch, Quicken Support should be able to switch your subscription and charge you the nominal difference in price between the two.

As for your questions about working with Quicken 2018, I suggest you start a new post (in the box at the very top of the page), make sure you indicate whether you're using Mac or Windows, and address your questions one at a time. Other users here will be happy to try to help you.
  • Bonnie Optekman
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

RickO - Hi and thank you to you and "quicken Marcus". I did find it and was excited to see the memo/notes in the split lines.
    However - I can't print it out that way! It removes them when I print. (And it adds an Account column I don't have.)
    Also - I don't need that bank number on every split line. It didn't used to do that in prior versions - at least on the PC. But I can live with that for now. The printing is the bigger issue.
    And yes, I did try the Category Summary Report. It maintains account number column which isn't needed. Plus it doesn't have check numbers (I do write checks sometimes) and there's no customizing of the header.
    Many thanks,
    Bonnie.
  • RickO
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Yes, I see that the printed version seems to revert to a fixed set of columns, independent of what you have setup for the report.

Also, while the Category field has been fixed to include the category for split lines, the Tag field still shows "..." for split lines. This needs to be fixed too.

As for printing, until it gets fixed, you can export to CSV, then open that file in Excel or Numbers and print from there. It seems the CSV export will contain the same column setup as the report. It has the added benefit of more format control, such as shrink to one page, than printing directly from Quicken. You can also copy to clipboard and paste directly into Excel/Numbers to avoid the extra step of creating a CSV file.
  • Bonnie Optekman
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Well, that's an option. And maybe if I were better on Excel, I'd like it more. I can't get landscape view to include all the columns, no matter how small I size them. I can't create a small space between columns. There are random large spaces for duplicate copies of that bank number that carried over from memo field on main transaction. It worked so perfectly before. Tag, btw, is not an issue for me. I don't use it. And thank you for your help.
  • michael1212
    michael1212 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions still loose Tag Info in Ver 5.5.0.

Just upgraded to Ver 5.5.0 (Q 2018 for Mac).  Was excited to read in the update notes that an issue I had reported was fixed where Tag Info in a Transactions Report was lost if the transaction is Split.  

However, it appears that this issue is still not fixed in latest version.  Split transactions still acquire three dots (...) in place of where the Tag info should be.  Even stranger, when copy and pasted into Excel, transactions that are split in Quicken now have \u2026 assigned as the Tag.  

This is an example of the Transaction Report in Quicken.  Hardware purchases are split transactions.  As you can see, they acquire three dots for the tag.  In the register, these 
    transactions have the appropriate tags assigned.  

This is a copy/paste into Excel...in this case, the split transaction of $38.00 acquires a \u2026 tag.  

Unless I am missing something, this issue appears not to be resolved in ver 5.5.0.  Appreciate your attention to this matter...

Michael
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    RickO said:

Aside from the issue of data not showing up in the fields, the other issue is the inability to select the desired columns, and other report formatting features.

You can add your VOTE for the Ability to Choose to Show/Hide Columns That Appear in Reports and Report Formatting Options.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Split Transactions still loose Tag Info in Ver 5.5.0.

Just upgraded to Ver 5.5.0 (Q 2018 for Mac).  Was excited to read in the update notes that an issue I had reported was fixed where Tag Info in a Transactions Report was lost if the transaction is Split.  

However, it appears that this issue is still not fixed in latest version.  Split transactions still acquire three dots (...) in place of where the Tag info should be.  Even stranger, when copy and pasted into Excel, transactions that are split in Quicken now have \u2026 assigned as the Tag.  

This is an example of the Transaction Report in Quicken.  Hardware purchases are split transactions.  As you can see, they acquire three dots for the tag.  In the register, these 
    transactions have the appropriate tags assigned.  

This is a copy/paste into Excel...in this case, the split transaction of $38.00 acquires a \u2026 tag.  

Unless I am missing something, this issue appears not to be resolved in ver 5.5.0.  Appreciate your attention to this matter...

Michael

Moving to merge with correct release thread.

Please reference the new conversation here: Split Transactions Still loose ta info in ver 5.5.0
  • Bonnie Optekman
    edited March 2018
    RickO said:

Hi again. Well, I managed with Excel to get a usable report. And I've been watching you continue to improve the software for Mac. But I still don't see that you've resolved the printing issue. That is, you should be able to print a transaction report WYSIWYG from what you've customized on the screen. Is that in the works I hope?

Also - a new issue emerged I wanted to tell you about. I needed to see an older year  from Quicken and so I imported an older file from my PC. It merged with the current file I'm using so that now I have one big file broken down into many years. Is the file stable like that?

Many thanks,
    Bonnie
  • jacobs
    edited March 2018
    RickO said:

Bonnie, you probably won't get a response from Quicken here. They almost never comment on what's coming, or when. The product manager has said that improvements to reports will continue to roll out over time, but there have been no details about what or when.

If the file import from past years worked for you, and your balances are correct, then there's no reason not to use such a file. Many of us have many, many years of data -- two decades and more for some -- in our Quicken Mac data files. There's no stability problem with a lot of years. (I'm not sure what you mean the file is "broken down into many years"; typically, there is continuous data that spans many years, but you can make a register or report show a specific year or time period anytime you want.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I am running the latest update for Mac.

I did a tax schedule report and noticed that on-screen long-term capital gains don't show the totals at the top of the report for the 'Proceeds' column, only for the Cost Basis and Gain/Loss columns.  I have to export as a CSV and then import into Excel or Numbers to get the Proceeds total.  

Seems odd as the Short-term totals for all columns show.
This discussion has been closed.