Customizable home screen/tab (45 Legacy Votes + 1 Merged Vote) (Q Mac)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
I want to be able to customize the content and look of the home screen. I'm not a fan of the pie, would rather see bars. Would like the home screen option to include the calendar view and upcoming bills rather than a separate tab on Mac 2017
Tagged:
23 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This Idea has been accepted and added to the development roadmap for future implementation, however at this time, there is no ETA on when this functionality will be available. CTP-530/QMAC-19802

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    I agree. I have been waiting for years for Quicken to change this. why why why can't you give users more control over the items in the views. how big the windows are, etc. I have a large monitor and the way quicken displays the charts and graphs is asinine. You have one pie chart in the middle of the screen with several inches of white space on each side. some items go side by side but some only go all the way across. Why can't I decide how big I want the graphs? what type they are and now in 2017 I want to control what color they are.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You want to add your VOTE for this related feature to Have Separate Views/Tabs, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-have-separate-views-tabs-in-quick...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• hyperstock
    hyperstock Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I would like to be able to customize my home tab my way on the Mac Quicken App..

The current home tab in Quicken for Mac only has three reporting areas that can not be customized to view what you want to view.  As a long time windows user, the windows version allowed you to customize what you wanted to see in your home tab.  I think this is a great way to get a snapshot of your financial picture the way you want to see it.  Please vote for the ability to customize your home tab
  • hyperstock
    hyperstock Member ✭✭
    Add the ability to customize the home tab with information we want to see. Current tab feels like it has been left for dead and not very useful . Would be nice if the Mac version would be more like the Windows version that allows for creating tabs in the format and information we want to see.
  • Underdog
    Underdog Member ✭✭
    +1 for being able to customize the Home tab in the Mac version, just as can be done in the Windows version.
    Quicken for Mac user since 1992. Currently using QMac 7.0.4.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Underdog Typing "+1" in a post doesn't change the vote count; you need to go to the top of the page, find the blue box under the first post, and click the little gray arrow to make the counter go up. The more votes an idea gets, the more likely it is to be acted on by the developers.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    Is there a way to customize the Home/Overview tab so it defaults to Spending with filters applied. Mac 2019. If not can you direct me to suggesting this as an enhancement I can vote for?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

Hello @bobsully

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • meroni1
    meroni1 Member ✭✭✭
    Need to add the ability to configure what the Home screen charts are shown and tracked. The Quicken web has more information than the Mac product. Net worth and Investment summary should be part of the Home screen.
  • jacobs
    edited February 2020
    @meroni1 There is an existing Idea thread for a customizable home screen:

[removed self-referencing link]

This one may get merged with that, but you should visit that thread and cast your vote (click the little gray arrow under the vote counter in the blue box).

there are lots of thoughts about exactly what users should be able to put on a Home screen; hopefully, the developers will review the entire thread for ideas if they consider making changes in this area of the program.
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    I cast my vote for customizing the Home tab in QFM. I now feel a bit short-changed knowing that the Windows version has had this feature for years. We Mac users deserve the same features as our Windows counter-parts. We are spending the same amount in subscription fees!
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    (Removed-Rant)
  • jacobs
    We Mac users deserve the same features as our Windows counter-parts. 
    Absolutely true! The problem is no one can snap their fingers and make it so. Every feature in Quicken takes time to program. They've been at it for more than six years, and while Quicken Mac today is leaps-and-bounds better than the original Quicken Mac 2015, it still falls sort of all the features in Quicken Windows (and in the legacy Quicken Mac 2007).

The developers try to figure out which issues are the most pressing -- either most urgent, or affecting the largest number of users -- and cross one item off the list at a time. They look at votes here on this forum, metrics they get from program usage, and data from the Support team about what people are having problems with, and they try to prioritize accordingly. We all wish they could go faster.  They wish they could go faster. But the code is complex, and doing all that users want takes a long time. And we all use Quicken differently, so your number one wish might be something I never use, and visa versa; with each new release that come out, some users are delighted that something they've been waiting for has been delivered, and other users are frustrated that what they've been hoping for still doesn't exist. But what else do you think can be done other than tackling one issue after another from a wishlist that has hundreds of desired features and enhancements?
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    @jacobs I see they censored my earlier comments. If we don't have the same features as our Windows counter-parts, then why are we being charged the same?
  • jacobs
    @Casablanca  I can't answer for Quicken management; I'm just a fellow user like you.

But I would say a few things, starting with the fact that a disparity has always existed between Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows. Even the beloved legacy Quicken 2007 for Mac lacked many features that existed in the Windows product. In modern times, since the debut of the new Quicken Mac in the second half of 2014, the two products were priced the same. They weren't equivalent, but I'm guessing the company would say the products were never intended to be priced "by the feature." If you wanted to run Quicken on a Mac, you got Quicken Mac; it was not touted as being identical to Quicken Windows (although sometimes their marketing people intentionally blurred that fact). 

For the past several years, since Quicken switched to a subscription model, they changed the paradigm. Now, you are paying for a subscription, not the product per se. So with your subscription, you can use Quicken Mac, Quicken Windows or both -- all the for the same flat price. They don't offer a "Quicken Mac subscription" which could be priced differently than a "Quicken Windows subscription."

The fact remains that these are two different products which share a lot of common features, but are not equivalent. The Mac version has some advantages, such as being built on a modern, industrial strength database (no validate and super validate here!) and a much newer and more consistent development environment compared to the Windows version which is a more complicated code base developed over three decades. The company has a stated goal of making the products more functionally equivalent, although that will likely never reach 100% parity, and they are making slow but steady progress in that direction.

For us Mac users, all the history of the technology and the pricing may or may not be interesting, but there's a really simple three-part bottom line: does Quicken Mac meet your needs, as well or better than anything else on the market, for a price you find delivers enough value to you? If yes, yes, and yes, then you're set. If you answer no to any of those conditions, then you look to find something else that better meets your needs and/or costs less.
  • Casablanca
    Casablanca Member ✭✭
    @jacobs Thanks for the explanation. While I can understand your account of the history of development for the two platforms, it should be made clear that the two versions are not equal even though the price for the subscription is the same.
  • wmsonj
    wmsonj Member
    The Home tab should be customizable with the content I want to see when Quicken for Mac opens, not what Quicken thinks I should see.
  • itilt3672
    itilt3672 Member
    I have no need to follow my expenses but would like for the home page to show other items
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @itilt3672

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread. This idea is currently being reviewed by the development team. At this time there is no ETA on when or if this can be expected.

As soon as more information is available this thread will be updated and you will be notified.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Robert Lynch
    Robert Lynch Member ✭✭
    Should have the ability to include/exclude account types on the Home Screen - example, I view everything using a report, but would be nice to use the built in graphs/charts instead for a quick view at things.

The filter I am requesting is similar to the filter for the all transactions screen:

Banking. & Investing
    All Banking
    All Cash
    All Savings
    All Retirement
  • Tony Dalia
    Tony Dalia Member ✭✭✭
    I would like to re-order and add or delete items here. I used the Windows version for 14 years and found that quite handy.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Tony Dalia,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic as it is currently marked as "Planned".

If you would like to be notified of updates on this feature as they become available, you can go ahead and bookmark the thread by clicking the yellow star on the top-right corner.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tomstrader
    tomstrader Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I also think this is an important feature.  Having a nice big Net Worth Over Time graphic on top, then having the ability to add and replace elements under that would be incredible.  The current Home screen is neither informative or inspirational enough for a product in 2021.  I strongly believe you would gain customers after improving this screen.
  • jacobs
    @tomstader  If you review this thread, you will see that the developers have stated this is planned as a future feature upgrade. We never know exactly when certain features will appear, but being marked "Planned" is the best assurance we have that this functionality is coming sometime in the future.
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    I'm looking forward to this planned functionality.

I created a thread in which a few members and I analyzed some of the reporting inconsistencies that exist in the current code base (version 6.2.1 as of this writing). I'm linking to the thread below in case any Quicken developers are watching this thread. There are several issues / inconsistencies outlined in the thread below and revamping the Home tab would be a great time to try and resolve them.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7894293/expense-reports-and-home-overview-tab-are-not-footing-q-mac