Adding Multiple Users to the App for Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) (10 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Ideas for Mobile

My wife has enjoyed Quicken for several years.  I manage the accounts and my wife does most of the purchasing.  Candidly, the only thing I regularly buy is my lunch!  

Currently, in our quicken online profile, I am allowed 1 phone number.  When I need to authenticate, the system sends me a text message and I can authenticate and gain access to my account.  Periodically, the app will ask for re-authentication for security reasons which are understandable, however, if my wife needs to reauthenticate, it will send the code to my phone instead of my wife's phone!

My wife uses the app to see where she is in the budget.  All she wants to know is this, "Do I have money left in my budget". If she can't see the budget, she doesn't know - if she doesn't know - she'll either just buy it because we need it or not buy it and be frustrated.  My wife will tend to make great purchasing desicions if she has all available information at her disposable - when and where she needs it.

Here's the idea:  Add the capability for a second user or phone number.  The app is useless unless we can access the information when we need it.  I can't be the only guy that's going through this - Please make this change!

11 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 18 Aug 23 - CTP-7523

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I would like to add my request that the security level be configurable. I find it very annoying to have to use 2-factor authentication simply to continue to use a running application on my machine. Both the machine and the data file are password protected. I should be allowed to choose for myself the appropriate level of security with which I am comfortable, not have it dictated by the application.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Totally agree with your suggestion!  On top of that, it is ridiculous to have to provide authentication in order to just download stock quotes.  There's no confidential information involved with that which requires protection.  If there is, I'd like to know what it is that Quicken thinks it has to protect.

I've used Quicken for over 20 years but all of their "improvements" over the last few years are getting so annoying that I'd look elsewhere if there was anything else out there....
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    I like the idea that you should be able to use multiple confirmation phone numbers.

Are you aware that you can also confirm via an email? I don't know if you can have multiple verification email addresses. But if not, you should be able to set up a server side auto forward of such confirmation emails from your email account to your wife's.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Yes, the idea that you can have multiple home users, each with their own data file  is great. But they all must share a single Quicken ID. Since Two Factor login is the only method of logging in or authenticating the reality is unless the person with the ID is available when the text message arrives with the authentification code the claim that it can be used by multiple users at home is not true.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Be sure to click "FOLLOW" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data and File Management FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I just spent 2 hrs with tech support getting all sync'd up with the mobile app.  I have 6 different quicken files i use on a daily basis.   So was really excited to get the app all set up so i can easily access the same stuff i use on my mac.    Then I find out 1) to switch between files I have to log in and do the 2 step each time.   2) to get a new transaction that i just added a few minutes earlier on my mac to show up on the app,  i have to log out and log back in (again w 2 step).    MAJOR PAIN.    There goes all my excitement for the app.  I probably won't even bother to use it now.    Esp frustrating after spending 2 hrs just now getting everything all set up.     2 step verification should be an OPTION,  I will take my chances on getting hacked.  It's more important to me to have a streamlined way to switch between files.   I don't have to do 2 step on my mac, i simply click on the file name in the recent list.  That's one of the things I've always loved about quicken for mac.   The app should behave the same way as people are used to on the mac version.     Even better yet,  let people use the thumbprint verification.  Or a 4 digit code.  Or something.   Please fix.        
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hello Jeff,

The 2FA is required from the financial institution. All Quicken does is to ensure that the codes are entered and reported to the financial institution.

Please consult with your financial institution and find out if they are able to disable the two factor verification on your account.

Hope this information is helpful.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    This is 2 step verification to open up my quicken file on the quicken mobile app I am talking about. It’s being required after I enter my quicken ID and password. It has nothing to do with my bank(s)
  • Quicken Harold
    edited November 2019

This is 2 step verification to open up my quicken file on the quicken mobile app I am talking about. It’s being required after I enter my quicken ID and password. It has nothing to do with my bank(s)

Hello Jeff,

We apologize for the inconvenience. It is mandatory for your security that you sign into the Mobile App with the Quicken ID and password each time. Even I have to enter it:

image .  image

It's built into the mobile app. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yes,  I definitely realize it's mandatory.  Thats my complaint.    It should be OPTIONAL.  The choice of the user to be inconvenienced.    I will gladly
    take the risk of being hacked in exchange for the convenience of being able to easily move between my 6 different quicken files.   It should be left up to users to decide.    Have people sign and disclaimer if they choose to decline the the 2 step verification or something.    OR better yet,  figure out how to make the thumbprint verification work with Quicken,  like it does for my Discover app,  my Chase app,  my local bank app,   and nearly other financial app out there.    
  • Quicken Harold
    edited November 2019

Hello Jeff,

I will pass your feedback about the Fingerprint ID to the Development team.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Jeff is totally right. It should be up to the user to determine risk levels. At the same time every other financial app, including banks. credit cards etc uses fingerprint ID on the iPhone.

Common Quicken Inc., get with it!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    if quicken gave us the option to use EITHER email OR text authentication, like most secure on-line systems, then I could dedicate myself to only using the text authentication option, and my wife could use the email authentication option.  But we have to have the flexibility to add an email account  mor mobile number that is NOT the primary account identifier.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• prbsparx
    prbsparx Member ✭✭
    Modern security guidance dictates that SMS for MFA is easily crackable.
    It'd be great to see Quicken modernize their MFA completely to support all of the below:
    1. multiple SMS numbers.
    2. An MFA App (e.g. 1Password, Google Authenticator, MS Authenticator, KeePass)
    3. FIDO2
    4. An MFA token device
  • spia
    spia Member

I'm hoping that Quicken has already addressed the use of an MFA App. Randolph-Brooks Federal Credit Union (RBFCU) has recently required the use of an MFA App and I am guessing that is what is preventing me from updating my accounts. I have not found any information addressing this in Quicken Support or groups.

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Please consider implementing Passkeys and the previously suggested non-SMS Time-base one-time passwords (OTP or TOTP). Both are far more secure than SMS or email codes.

I my opinion, multiple phone numbers only continues the reliance on the poor security architecture of SMS. Using TOTP, multiple users can either simultaneously setup a code-generating app, or leverage shared access to the code seed with something like 1Password.

• FORBSTreasury
    FORBSTreasury Member ✭✭

Please consider adding the functionality of allowing multiple people access to the Quicken on the Web. We are a non-profit and the Treasurer does all of the books, but the rest of the Board of Directors need access to the data. Quicken on the Web is the best way, but there does not seem to be a way to allow people access, unless we use a generic login. However, the generic login sends email or text to a single place, and only one person will be able to use it.

Thanks for the consideration!

• Bob1
    Bob1 Member ✭✭

SMS-based authentication is hackable. Please implement a secure MFA solution as previously mentioned. You are way behind the times here, and putting your customers security at risk. Thanks.