Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.8.0 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're releasing v5.8.0 of Quicken for Mac.  

I think there's a lot to love in this release.  First off, for those of you with lots of investments, downloading transactions should happen a lot faster but more importantly, you should no longer see the spinning beach ball.  Thanks to RickO for working with us to figure out the issue.  We've also added a bunch of improvements to printing.  Most importantly, you can now scale the portfolio view, transaction and summary report and full budget to fit on a single page.  We also added the ability to print the portfolio view without lots and the summary budget which used to be only available as an exported file. In investments, we added an option to start the Y-Axis at 0 in the chart. This is an option and not a change as was requested by forums users.  Also based on forum feedback, we added the ability to bold the text for a printed check.  We found an easy way to do this so we could slip it in.  As always there are tons of fixes throughout the product and small little enhancements including encrypted files, fixes for options trading, and a button to add the bill pay address to a check.

UPDATES
9/6 -  Released.

RELEASE NOTES
The 5.8 release has a number of improvements in reports, budgets, investments and performance.

Security and Performance Improvements
  • NEW - In 5.8, all password protected files will be encrypted by default making your files more secure. However, this will increase the time it takes to open and close files. If you want to go back to the way it used to work, go to Quicken > Preferences and click on Security to turn off encryption.
  • IMPROVED - Optimized investment transaction downloads so updating should go a lot faster now.
Report and Budget Improvements
  • NEW - In 5.8, you'll now be able to customize a report with No Tag and No Payee as options.
  • NEW - Reports now have a Scale to Fit printing option so that wide reports can be shrunk to fit on a single page, saving paper.
  • IMPROVED - Comparison reports now print in color.
  • NEW - Full budgets can be printed based on the number of months you want to see on a page. You have the option of having 12, 6, 4, or 3 months per page.
  • NEW - Added an option to print a summary budget.
  • IMPROVED - Budget transaction details now go to a customizable transaction report which allows you to pick the columns to see.
Investment Improvements
  • NEW - In 5.8, we added the ability to print, export and copy the portfolio view without lots.
  • IMPROVED - The Price and Holdings As Of date is now added to both exported and printed versions of the portfolio view.
  • NEW - Added the Scale to Fit printing feature to the portfolio view so that everything fits on a single page.
  • NEW - Also added a checkbox to the portfolio view graph to start the Y-Axis at zero.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where the Find Security contextual menu item didn't work in the investment register.
  • FIXED - 5.8 also has a number of fixes for options. Fixed downloaded option information from brokerages. Also fixed an issue with option placeholders where contracts and shares weren't correctly converted.
Check Printing Improvements
  • NEW - In 5.8, we added a button to the check screen to auto-fill the address using the Payee's bill pay address.
  • IMPROVED - Quicken can now print checks using bold text to make them easier to read. Select the Bold Text option in the check printing screen.
Other Improvements
  • IMPROVED - A blue dot now appears next to a bill in the Bills & Income view to let you know it's been updated.
  • IMPROVED - Added a What is an eBill screen when trying to link an eBill for the first time.
  • IMPROVED - Added a Mobile column to the alert preference screen to allow one to turn on mobile push notification for a few alerts.
  • FIXED - Fixed a number of issues throughout the product.

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

But report submitted in beta.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
     Sold a call option yesterday, downloaded this AM from Wells Fargo . It was a straight sell on the call option it was not a covered call so the transaction should download as a sell on the call option, not a buy to cover .

If one owns a stock & decides to sell a call against the stock betting it will be at a certain price during the option period then the buy to cover is used to close out the option

Bug report submitted in beta.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    And still no option to include/exclude transfers from reports and budgets.

Wow!  Four years and counting. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018
    RickO said:

The ability to customize for "No Payee" prompted me to check for any transactions that don't have a payee, which in my data should not exist. This revealed a twofold problem:

1) Opening Balance Adjustment (placeholder) transactions with non-zero amounts show in the report with a blank payee even though they show in the registers with payee "Opening Balance Adjustment". They are gray (placeholder) transactions. I have three of these.

2) Opening Balance Adjustment transactions with amount = $0.00 show up in the report with an blank payee and "Opening Balance Adjustment" in the memo field. However, these transactions are not shown at all in the accounts' registers at all. I have four of these.

Going back to 5.7.x, I see the same issue. So it's not something new with 5.8, but does reveal an issue with missing transactions and incorrect register payee entries.

Interesting. It seems like those should be ignored.  Would you agree?
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    RickO said:

For issue #1, yes, the transactions should ignored (excluded) from the report since they do show a Payee in the register. I'm thinking this situation occurs because "Opening Balance Adjustment" is not a "real" payee. That is, it doesn't appear in the payee list.

For issue #2, I think that issue #1 revealed that there are these zero amount placeholders that somehow exist but are hidden in the register. If they exist, they should be displayed in the register so that they can be deleted if needed.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018

Sold a call option yesterday, downloaded this AM from Wells Fargo . It was a straight sell on the call option it was not a covered call so the transaction should download as a sell on the call option, not a buy to cover .

If one owns a stock & decides to sell a call against the stock betting it will be at a certain price during the option period then the buy to cover is used to close out the option

If you didn't add your log files to the beta bug report, can you use Report a Problem so we can look at your logs to see what Wells Fargo sent to Quicken regarding the option?  I'll follow up in the beta bug report.  Thanks for reporting this.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I have just discovered my wife has updated to QM 5.8 yesterday because QM suddenly asked me to connect to my Cloud account. However, I have deliberately disconnected this file from the Cloud and do not want to sync to Quicken Mobile.

Has something changed from previous versions of QM? Such login window would previously only be displayed when I went to Preferences/Connected Services, but now they appear also  when I launch QM.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    John Morrow, what QM version have you been using? Are you sure the message has to do with Quicken Mobile? Do you use Quicken to download transactions? I have been getting occasional login "demands" for a while (I believe since, at least, when Quicken took over the servers from Intuit).  My understanding is that this has to do with downloading transactions and not with Quicken Mobile (which I also do not use). I believe this is an unavoidable consequence of changes Quicken has made in how it is syncing transactions by logging into financial institutions. I don't think there is currently a way around this, but if I'm wrong I'm sure others will correct me. 

I do worry about giving Quicken access to my login info, but I don't believe there is any program that contacts financial institutions to download transactions that doesn't in some way save this information. For me, in the end, it is about costs and benefits in turning over information to a company. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Marcus, why did Quicken remove these "New Version Released" threads from the list of Quicken Mac topics (unless I'm blind and it's there and I can't find it)? I only found it by scrolling down the main forum page and seeing this thread under "Conversations"! It's not even listed at the top of the page under "Top Issues". I see people posting v 5.8 issues elsewhere, presumably because they didn't find this thread. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    There is a bug with loans.

During the migration from QM 5.6 to 5.7, QM has reset the duration of two of my loans to 30 months. Initially, the duration was 168 and 88 months (not a multiple of 12 months as you can notice, if this has any influence). A third loan which had a duration of 3 years did not have its duration reduced to 30 months. 

Every backup that I opened with QM 5.7.2 exhibited the issue. This includes 6 months old backups.

As a result, July, August and Scheduled transactions all have an incorrect capital split amount (but the total amount is correct though):

This is to be compared with the correct transaction for July:

Changing the duration of the loans back to 168 and 88 months fixes the issue. But the duration should not have been changed by QM in the first place.

I have initially posted this in the 5.7 thread.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I have just discovered my wife has updated to QM 5.8 yesterday because QM suddenly asked me to connect to my Cloud account. However, I have deliberately disconnected this file from the Cloud and do not want to sync to Quicken Mobile.

Has something changed from previous versions of QM? Such login window would previously only be displayed when I went to Preferences/Connected Services, but now they appear also  when I launch QM.

John Morrow, after reading your post, I disconnected from internet and tried to open Quicken.  I was also unable to open the file.  I got a popup window that said Quicken was unable to connect to cloud.  The window had several option buttons, none of which would work. I then had to force quit Quicken to clear the box.  This is definitely new to this update.  I have successfully used Quicken many times before this update without being connected to the cloud.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    RCinNJ said:

John Morrow, what QM version have you been using? Are you sure the message has to do with Quicken Mobile? Do you use Quicken to download transactions? I have been getting occasional login "demands" for a while (I believe since, at least, when Quicken took over the servers from Intuit).  My understanding is that this has to do with downloading transactions and not with Quicken Mobile (which I also do not use). I believe this is an unavoidable consequence of changes Quicken has made in how it is syncing transactions by logging into financial institutions. I don't think there is currently a way around this, but if I'm wrong I'm sure others will correct me. 

I do worry about giving Quicken access to my login info, but I don't believe there is any program that contacts financial institutions to download transactions that doesn't in some way save this information. For me, in the end, it is about costs and benefits in turning over information to a company. 

@RCinNJ, as pointed out, I'm using QMac 5.8. I am not using Cloud sync, transaction download or QMobile. I never had the occasional login demand, or only when looking at Preferences/Connected Services. Even after Quicken moved from Intuit server's to their own.

QM5.8 was the first release for me which displayed the login demand outside Preferences, hence my worry. Is network traffic happening behind the scenes even I don't want any?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

There is a bug with loans.

During the migration from QM 5.6 to 5.7, QM has reset the duration of two of my loans to 30 months. Initially, the duration was 168 and 88 months (not a multiple of 12 months as you can notice, if this has any influence). A third loan which had a duration of 3 years did not have its duration reduced to 30 months. 

Every backup that I opened with QM 5.7.2 exhibited the issue. This includes 6 months old backups.

As a result, July, August and Scheduled transactions all have an incorrect capital split amount (but the total amount is correct though):

This is to be compared with the correct transaction for July:

Changing the duration of the loans back to 168 and 88 months fixes the issue. But the duration should not have been changed by QM in the first place.

I have initially posted this in the 5.7 thread.

I had meant to share this picture as well. You can see the duration was reduced from 168 months to 30. But why?

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018

This is what's happening for me now at startup.

To the remove the login window that was popping up constantly at startup, I entered my Cloud credentials (even though I don't want my QM file to be stored in the Cloud).

This was fine until the next startup. Now I get this window every time I launch QM:
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

This is different from what I experienced. With no internet connection, when I try to launch Quicken, I get this dialogue box. The options in the box to "I'll Check It Later" "Update Now" "Report errors" etc are all non-responsive. The only action I can take is to force quit Quicken.  Obviously, I do not expect to download transactions while off-line, but I do expect to be able to view and edit data manually in those instances I do not have access to internet.  This has never been a problem before this latest update.image
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I have been trying to use Quicken off-line. With no internet connection, when I try to launch Quicken, I get this dialogue box. The options in the box to "I'll Check It Later" "Update Now" "Report errors" etc are all non-responsive. The only action I can take is to force quit Quicken.  Obviously, I do not expect to download transactions while off-line, but I do expect to be able to view and edit data manually in those instances I do not have access to internet.  This has never been a problem before this latest update.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

I have been trying to use Quicken off-line. With no internet connection, when I try to launch Quicken, I get this dialogue box. The options in the box to "I'll Check It Later" "Update Now" "Report errors" etc are all non-responsive. The only action I can take is to force quit Quicken.  Obviously, I do not expect to download transactions while off-line, but I do expect to be able to view and edit data manually in those instances I do not have access to internet.  This has never been a problem before this latest update.

jlgg, thanks for including the screen shot. It really clarifies the problem. I agree it's a big bug in 5.8 and won't be updating until it's fixed.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018

Submitted logs thru beta app
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Marcus, lots of good stuff in this release, thanks!

"In 5.8, all password protected files will be encrypted by default making your files more secure."

To be clear, the backups are also encrypted? Does this make them secure enough to comfortably place on cloud servers like DropBox or iCloud?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Lost offline access in v5.8.

I updated to v 5.8 of Quicken for Mac 2018 from 5.7.2.  I just discovered that I am no longer able to access my data while offline.  I need this ability.  Is there any solution other than reverting to v 5.7.2?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Back to  Bills & Income; Observed the Citi Card billed amount in bills & Income 2 days after receiving the email that the bill had arrived. This was a first for me!.

In order to verify the amount I had to get on the Citi website to confirm/download the statement amount. Would be nice to have the statement arrive in Quicken when the $$ amount shows up in the B&I transaction

As an aside I note the PDF icon for previous months statements no longer show in Bills & Income. Where are they presently located?
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Marcus, lots of good stuff in this release, thanks!

"In 5.8, all password protected files will be encrypted by default making your files more secure."

To be clear, the backups are also encrypted? Does this make them secure enough to comfortably place on cloud servers like DropBox or iCloud?

If the file is password protected and encryption turned on, then the backups would also be encrypted. I would say this is as good as encrypting yourself before uploading to Dropbox, etc. as long as you use a strong password that's different than your Dropbox password.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

@Hopeful1, Marcus has previously said they know they need to add this, but they didn't work on it while the mobile development team was working on the re-write of budget functionality (necessitated by the separation from Intuit). That work on the mobile app was recently released, so the Mac team is now clear to dive back into budgets. It's a fairly major change in functionality, so it might take a little while to implement, but I'd guess we'll be seeing this with the next 6 months.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018
    RickO said:

You're right, the Opening Balance Adjustment isn't a "real" transaction so it's kind of in a weird state.  There isn't a payee even though you see it in the register and the amount is calculated.  They are like investment placeholders where they appear if there is a share discrepancy but are hidden if there isn't one.  Do you think these should ever appear in a report.  I'm thinking that they shouldn't bu was curious what other thought.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

jacobs, thanks for remembering and reporting this to the community.  The way budgets are structured in the Quicken cloud mirrors budgets on Quicken Windows which is very different than Quicken Mac.  The cloud needed to support all of the functionality Quicken Windows supports including transfers, account selection, rollovers, category groups, and the concepts of Other and Everything Else categories.  Our original idea was that we would restructure Quicken Mac to match the cloud once it was defined but this proved to be a bigger task than we expected so we took a shortcut and are simply syncing the data in the correct format but didn't actually change the way we store things locally.  The big areas we're working on now are to continue working through syncing more of our data to the cloud to improve the mobile and web experience including scheduled transactions and supporting renaming rules and memorized transactions.  Once this is completed, we plan to circle back to budgets and will probably look at introducing Other and Everything Else categories first and then work our way through the other options converting our local data structure to match the cloud.  This is actually a huge change and will take many months to complete. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018

This is definitely new and important to follow.  We added this when we detect that for some reason you don't have a cloud account.  Don't think of the cloud account as being about mobile sync.  These are 2 different things.  Think of it as connected services.  A cloud account is required for all files because all Quicken connected services flow through your cloud account.  If you download transactions via Quicken Connect it goes through the Quicken Cloud.  If you get updated Bill balances, it goes through the Quicken Cloud. If you use Quicken Bill Pay, the Quicken Cloud is required for setup. Even if you don't use any of these services now, the cloud account is still required in case you do add a Quicken Connect account or Bill in the future.  
  • RickO
    edited September 2018
    RickO said:

I would be okay if these were excluded from reports. Then when I searched for "No Payee" the report would be empty as it should be. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

This dialog should be dismissable.  jlgg, I'll contact you directly to see if we can get your logs to see what might be going on.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2018
    Hopeful1 said:

Marcus, thanks for describing the issue and sharing some of your roadmap going forward. The one thing I would suggest, from the comments I read on this forum, would be that when you dive into budgets, allowing transfers in budgets (specifically for loan payments and savings) should be at the top of your budget revisions list, not something that's far off. The lack of this functionality makes budgets unusable or inaccurate for a majority of budget users, and is a pretty frequent complaint here. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    jlgg said:

Marcus, the dialog not being dismissible is obviously something that will be fixed. However, are you saying this dialog box is designed to open EVERY time a user opens QM 2018 while offline? That would be unacceptable to me.

I'm not sure why it was added at all. Users should know they can't update accounts but they should be able to do anything that doesn't require internet. I could see some value if it appeared if a user clicks the "Update" button while offline, but even then I'm not sure it's not confusing and has little value for troubleshooting that I can see.
This discussion has been closed.