the last quicken that works for me is v2007(MAC). I have bought 2015 ,2017 & 2018-no luck will 2019

stuffaz
stuffaz Member
I have been using Quicken for many years and currently the last one that works for me is v2007 (MAC). I have bought 2015 ,2017 & 2018 with no luck they won't transfer my data correctly and I go back to 2007.
will 2019 finally work for me?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well, this is your 1st post here (using this ID), so we have no idea why those other products didn't work for you.

Care to elaborate?

And, if you're trying to go from QMac to QWin, that conversion has been broken for years.  But why can't you stay on QMac?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-your-data-quicken-mac-0

Note: If you weren't able to convert your 2007 data with 2018, it isn't likely that you'll be any more successful with 2019.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes, please elaborate as to the nature of the problems as there may be solutions or work-arounds to deal with your conversion issues.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

P.S. Converting from QM2007 to QWin IS possible (though I doubt that is what the OP is trying to do). It is NOT possible from QMac 2015+ to QWin. 
    FYI See: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-convert-quicken-mac-2007-quicken-windows

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• stuffaz
    stuffaz Member
    edited October 2018
    Each time I tried to transfer my data from MAC 2007 to MAC 2015, 2017 & 2018 the data does not come through correctly. Then I get busy and don't have the time to troubleshoot why. So each time a new version comes out, I assume the problem has been fixed and I try it, when that fails, I go back to 2007. The last time 2018, I had 12 stocks come through that were sold in 2003 and I can't figure out how to get rid of them. each time I try to upgrade there is a different problem
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    stuffaz said:

Each time I tried to transfer my data from MAC 2007 to MAC 2015, 2017 & 2018 the data does not come through correctly. Then I get busy and don't have the time to troubleshoot why. So each time a new version comes out, I assume the problem has been fixed and I try it, when that fails, I go back to 2007. The last time 2018, I had 12 stocks come through that were sold in 2003 and I can't figure out how to get rid of them. each time I try to upgrade there is a different problem

Without more specific details, it is hard to provide guidance. So you will need to provide more info about what you see and what you have tried to solve the problem and someone here may be able to assist.

That said, just be aware that QM2019 is NOT an upgrade from QM2007 but a migration... QM2019 is a new Quicken for Mac product rebuilt from the ground up (built on QEM from 2010) so it still lacks features that exist in QM2007. So be sure to understand if it will meet your needs. You can read a lot more about the differences here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-or-qm2007

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    stuffaz said:

@stuffaz: They sometimes make small tweaks to the import process from Quicken 2007, but it seems to largely work for most users, and I'm not aware of them doing any significant work in that area of the program in the past year. So I would guess that what didn't work for you last year probably wouldn't work for you now. Sorry.

If you haven't posted here about the details of the import problems, or worked with Quicken Support to identify the problems, it's quite possible that whatever problem you're having is something the developers are not even aware of.

Many people have updated fairly smoothly, and many others have found they need to go in and do some clean-up work to get their account balances and holdings values correct in the new system.

The one specific thing you mentioned above sounds like it could be due to a fairly common occurrence: if Quicken doesn't have 100% of the basis information for your stocks, it creates placeholder transactions which in turn mess up your balance, your holding,s or both. Usually, with a little guidance hunting in the data, these placeholders can be found and eliminated, and balances can be adjusted to be correct if necessary. Another common conversion issue is very minor rounding differences between investments in Quicken 2007 and modern Quicken, which can result in investments that were fully sold showing up after importing because they have a tiny fractional share balance. This is also something that can usually be cleaned up with not too much work. (There are other possible conversion problems for Windows users who used transaction types not available in the Mac product, and for users who have accounts in multiple currencies.) But the bottom line is this: if/when you are ready to move off Quicken 2007, you may need to invest some time to get everything squared away from the data conversion -- and once you do, things will likely work okay.

So my suggestion is to wait until sometime you feel you can devote some chunk of hours to the conversion, then buy Quicken 2019 and have at it. If you absolutely cannot get things to work (which seems unlikely), or if you find you just don't like Quicken Mac 2019 because of some missing functionality (somewhat more likely), you can return it within 30 days for a refund. (Which perhaps you already know from your past failed conversions.) Unfortunately, no one on this forum can tell you with any certainty whether Quicken 2019 will work for you; your data is unique to you, and we can't predict nor see what happens. I would say that if you make the time to address each specific problem -- here in this forum, and/or with Quicken Support -- there's a good likelihood you'll be able to get your data imported.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but he says he has already purchased Q2018.  If so, he is in the subscription program and already has all the updates included in Q2019.  Purchasing Q2019 would add to the length of his subscription, but would not give him any new features to help with the conversion from Q2007. When his subscription expires of course he will have pay to renew.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jlgg said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but he says he has already purchased Q2018.  If so, he is in the subscription program and already has all the updates included in Q2019.  Purchasing Q2019 would add to the length of his subscription, but would not give him any new features to help with the conversion from Q2007. When his subscription expires of course he will have pay to renew.

stuffaz applied all the updates. Of course, having the subscription, the OP can get all the updates at any time as long as the subscription has not expired.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    jlgg said:

Or perhaps @stuffaz returned Quicken 2018 for a refund after finding his data didn’t import cleanly. Or perhaps @stuffaz purchased Quicken 2018 the day it was released, and his subscription ended earlier this week.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jlgg said:

Sounded to me like the OP had returned 2018 for a refund, so technically, they didn't have it any longer.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.