Quicken for Mac 2019 v5.8.1 Released

Comments

• maryellenwalter
    maryellenwalter Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RCinNJ said:

When I opened QM 5.8.1 today I received notice for a 5.8.2 update. However, the list of changes didn't show any 5.8.2 specific fixes or improvements. I didn't install it since I usually wait if it is not fixing a problem I am experiencing. I assume there are release notes available somewhere. Anyone know where to get them?

Happy to hear that others have been more successful with the upgrade - I wish I had the same experience as you @SnoopyFC. I have no problem eating crow when necessary but I have also seen others who have expressed harsher views without reprimand. I am just frustrated that Quicken is not working again and I used to be able to rely on it without issues for years when I was on the WIndows platform.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Citizen's Bank - MidAtlantic won't sync despite entering ID and password. I recall in the past that I had to use a different "special" log-in for Citizen's Bank and Quicken but that does not work either. I have Direct Connect set up for these four accounts.

Hi, I also have Citizens Bank and had a similar issue. Try resyncing with Quicken Connect  to Citizens Bank-Not Your TypicalBank. It fixed my issue! :) 
  • maryellenwalter
    edited October 2018

Citizen's Bank - MidAtlantic won't sync despite entering ID and password. I recall in the past that I had to use a different "special" log-in for Citizen's Bank and Quicken but that does not work either. I have Direct Connect set up for these four accounts.

Darn - I got as far as entering the answer to my secret question then the dreaded:

Quicken encountered an error while communicating with our servers.

Try again later. If the error persists, contact Quicken Support.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will keep trying that as well.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    RCinNJ said:

When I opened QM 5.8.1 today I received notice for a 5.8.2 update. However, the list of changes didn't show any 5.8.2 specific fixes or improvements. I didn't install it since I usually wait if it is not fixing a problem I am experiencing. I assume there are release notes available somewhere. Anyone know where to get them?

@smayer97, I absolutely agree users should be encouraged to report their experiences. I was only saying that users should not announce to the world that an update is fatally flawed based on their experience alone; only multiple problem reports can establish a problem others should be made aware of.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CUITCNY
    CUITCNY Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    RCinNJ said:

Just a general comment:  I switched from Windows version to MAC version in 2015.  I have found the MAC version to be very robust and the MAC interface is more appealing to me.  There is a continuing issue with downloading information from financial institutions but this seems to also occur in the Windows version, judging from Support site for Quicken Windows.

I suspect that "SuperUser jacobs" is right:  more often than not, the cause of these outages rest with the financial institution.  Since we all heavily rely on this functionality, it is helpful I think to have Quicken act as our representative.  I doubt I would be personally effective interacting with my banks to get outages fixed.  

In any case, if Quicken on MAC has any flaw, it is not its robustness, in my opinion.  It is that the tool is so useful that any transient interruption--caused by many possible players--is very disrupting to our personal usage of the tool.
  • maryellenwalter
    edited October 2018
    RCinNJ said:

I have worked in IT for 22 years at global company of 80K employees and hundreds of thousands of business users so I am not naive to technology and points of failure. You have missed my point that every upgrade breaks multiple financial institution connections for me. Every time. And the instructions from Quicken are to disconnect/deactivate and then reconnect/activate which is time consuming and does not always work. I now have a financial app that will not connect to any of my financial institutions, again. Even if I am one in a million with this constant issue, it is still an issue for me and I am entitled to being frustrated. As for providing feedback to whether one should upgrade or wait, we are all able to respond as we see fit. If I want to purchase something, one negative feedback is not going to dissuade me. I’m not sure how this turned into my needing to defend my response versus getting help with my issue.
  • Tom42
    Tom42 Member
    edited November 2018

On little suggestion for the next release: how about activating the <space> key to clear transactions int he Reconcile window? I miss this from Microsoft Money and, I believe, earlier versions of Quicken. It's really a lifesaver when the list of transactions is long and you methodically clear them one by one.

Any other key would do of course, as long as it's easy to type and remember.

I'm sure there are other articles that address this but I'm sorely disappointed in the Mac version to the point of turning off the auto renew and looking for an alternative tool after more than two decades.  Changed from a PC when it died a few months ago in part because I was doing nearly everything else successfully on Mac and iOS products.  I liked Quicken for decades as it worked on Windows.  But the Mac version fails to sync with banks half the time.  It works one day then a week later it fails again.  missing transaction, can't sync with existing accounts and wants to open new ones. Edits often disappear.  Wasting my time instead of being a reliable tool.  Finding customer service takes forever with endless loops and when I try a phone number I find they are closed anyway. When I sit down with a tool that worked for decades, I don't expect to waste an hour and know I have screens that are still unusable.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018

Quicken Harold. do your comments apply USAA (Care Code ccscrape. 180)? see my comment yesterday above. Thanks

Quicken Harold. Thanks.
    My logs are certainly available-- just a matter of getting to it and mustering the energy to explain it and what I've tried.
    Check my response to Quicken Jeff's questions above if you're interested.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018

I downloaded this update and now my bank balance is all screwed up snd I am thousands of dollars off.  How do I fix this without adding in a manual adjustment?

Which version did you upgrade from?  I had issues with the 2018 version to the point where I went back to 2016.  It was not correctly dealing with a holding account (one where I would transfer money and then pay something, so it's an account that should have a zero balance most of the time).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I've recently updated from Quicken 2007 for Mac to the Quicken 2018 for Mac. I really miss how I used to be able to hit return to enter a transaction and have it move into a new transaction line. Now I have to use command +N or the (+New) button to enter a new transaction. Not as efficient as it use to be. If possible could this be added as an option for future updates?
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Quicken Harold. do your comments apply USAA (Care Code ccscrape. 180)? see my comment yesterday above. Thanks

I am really enjoying the Mac version and the transition was pretty easy moving my data from the Windows version.  I have found one thing I miss and that is the ability to Move a transaction which was mistakenly put in the wrong account to another.  For now it looks like it has to be deleted and recreated in the correct account.  Turns out I make the snafu more often that I thought.
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I am really enjoying the Mac version and the transition was pretty easy moving my data from the Windows version.  I have found one thing I miss and that is the ability to Move a transaction which was mistakenly put in the wrong account to another.  For now it looks like it has to be deleted and recreated in the correct account.  Turns out I make the snafu more often that I thought.  There are new ways of doing things with the budget, but I think it will be an improvement.  I miss the Morningstar feature that let me dig deeper in my investments and analyze them.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    bobsully said:

I am really enjoying the Mac version and the transition was pretty easy moving my data from the Windows version.  I have found one thing I miss and that is the ability to Move a transaction which was mistakenly put in the wrong account to another.  For now it looks like it has to be deleted and recreated in the correct account.  Turns out I make the snafu more often that I thought.  There are new ways of doing things with the budget, but I think it will be an improvement.  I miss the Morningstar feature that let me dig deeper in my investments and analyze them.

If the issue pertains to a cash or credit card account you can simply drag the transaction from the register over to the correct account on the left side. This simple solution does not work with investment accounts
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    DAldinger said:

I've recently updated from Quicken 2007 for Mac to the Quicken 2018 for Mac. I really miss how I used to be able to hit return to enter a transaction and have it move into a new transaction line. Now I have to use command +N or the (+New) button to enter a new transaction. Not as efficient as it use to be. If possible could this be added as an option for future updates?

Command+N is one keystroke, the same as Enter. How is that less efficient?

The product manager has explained in the past that the Quicken 2007 method of always having an empty transaction is something they don't want to re-create in the modern Quicken. The always-blank transaction caused its own share of problems for users, according to their support records, and it would cause complications with modern database. So while I would never say never, I would expect that this is pretty far down the list of enhancements they're likely to work on.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • bobsully
    bobsully Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    bobsully said:

New to both Mac and Quicken for Mac, so thank you so much for this revelation.  You have provided a solution I will no doubt use often.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    bobsully said:

BTW, you can highlight one or more transactions at a time and drag and drop them. To select contiguous transactions (all in a row), click on the first one, scroll to the last one and while holding down the shift key, click on the last one. This will select all the ones in between, including first and last.

For non-contiguous transactions, simply Command-click each one. 

In either case, click and drag any of the selected transactions and they will all move.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    DAldinger said:

But if you want to count your interest in such a feature, you can add your VOTE for the  
    Option to Stay in Edit Mode or to Hit Return/Enter To Open New Transaction.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    It appears that Quicken will auto-categorize transactions to Quicken's pre-existing categories after downloading, but doesn't auto-categorize to custom categories. Looks like this is a new bug with the 2019 Mac release.
  • Phil Pifer
    Phil Pifer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Portfolio inaccurate.  I've run into a problem recently that I'd never seen before, but in the forum I see it has been reported occasionally by users back to v 5.5.  I have a brokerage account that is accurate up through Oct 31, but all stock purchases in November are not showing up in Portfolio view.  They are shown in transactions, but the shares are not appearing in Portfolio view.  The cash is properly debited in Portfolio view, so the transaction is registering but the share count is not reflected.  The share count does not show on the buy record in transaction view either - it is blank. Some of these purchases are increases to security positions I already had, and some are new securities.  In either case, the new purchase is not reflected and the portfolio shows all securities held Oct 31.  I'm now running Mac 2019 5.8.2 and this may have occurred with that update, since Quicken support seems to believe the problem was fixed with updates to v 5.5
  • Phil Pifer
    Phil Pifer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Portfolio inaccurate.  I've run into a problem recently that I'd never seen before, but in the forum I see it has been reported occasionally by users back to v 5.5.  I have a brokerage account that is accurate up through Oct 31, but all stock purchases in November are not showing up in Portfolio view.  They are shown in transactions, but the shares are not appearing in Portfolio view.  The cash is properly debited in Portfolio view, so the transaction is registering but the share count is not reflected.  The share count does not show on the buy record in transaction view either - it is blank. Some of these purchases are increases to security positions I already had, and some are new securities.  In either case, the new purchase is not reflected and the portfolio shows all securities held Oct 31.  I'm now running Mac 2019 5.8.2 and this may have occurred with that update, since Quicken support seems to believe the problem was fixed with updates to v 5.5

Fix update.  I followed the workaround mentioned by an earlier user.  For each security that is inaccurate - enter an Add Shares transaction.  You can enter zero shares.  Save it, and the security position will be recalculated for that security. If you are done, delete the Add Shares transaction.  If you have more securities to fix, reuse the dummy Add Shares transaction by changing to the next security you want to fix and save it.  Keep repeating until done.

A fix for Quicken to consider if they can't track down the cause would be a "recalc positions" command for any portfolio which seems stuck with the wrong share balances.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    bobsully said:

That is AWESOME!  Just tried it in QM 2017 and it worked!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Ed said:

Two issues I have run across. First, on the web version, the total amount of my investments coincides with what shows on the desktop version, but the values of any individual usual fund is way off. In one case, it shows a negative value, and in another case, it shows a massive value, when in reality, I no longer have funds in that mutual fund. Second, I think the Windows version of Quicken has (or had) a report that would summarize the value of each security, but QMac doesn’t have that. When is that capability going to exist?

so how do I install it without a disc drive
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Ed said:

Two issues I have run across. First, on the web version, the total amount of my investments coincides with what shows on the desktop version, but the values of any individual usual fund is way off. In one case, it shows a negative value, and in another case, it shows a massive value, when in reality, I no longer have funds in that mutual fund. Second, I think the Windows version of Quicken has (or had) a report that would summarize the value of each security, but QMac doesn’t have that. When is that capability going to exist?

How do I install quicken 2019 without a disc drive in my MAC computer
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Ed said:

Hello Karen, appreciate your question.

If you have the registration card, I would start at http://www.quicken.com/setup. Follow through the instructions including setting up a Quicken ID and entering the activation code from the card. Once that is done, then it will provide you the ability to download the product directly from Quicken. 

Hope this helps.  Please let us know if you have any questions.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • lablover57
    lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have had an issue with the math. Yes, I go through the transactions and the balance I have on my calculator is totally different from what Quicken has as a balance. I have to remove the account and then add a new account. Balance is then restored to the right amount.  Please fix this issue.
    Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

I have had an issue with the math. Yes, I go through the transactions and the balance I have on my calculator is totally different from what Quicken has as a balance. I have to remove the account and then add a new account. Balance is then restored to the right amount.  Please fix this issue.

lablover57, please provide more information. What kind of an account is it? Where do you see the balance in QM? What version of QM are you using? The fact that I don't see other's reporting what you describe suggests it's not normal. 
  • lablover57
    lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018

Latest Mac build/checking account. Well, it happens to me. I downloaded the latest on my checking (It was last Tuesday), it stated that I had $85 dollars in checking. I went online to Capital One to double-check and the balance was actually $585. I had to delete the account and add the checking account. After that, the balance was the same.  Happens about twice a month.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks?

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100). 
  • lablover57
    lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100).  I am now getting partial download errors, this has occurred after the latest update.  Very annoyed....
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    zaconline said:

Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks?

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100). 

This thread is for a previous version. Follow you issue along in this thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-subscription-v5-9-released?topic...

This discussion has been closed.