New frequency for Scheduled Reminders, both Q Windows and Mac (48 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I agree that reminder frequencies need more options.  I have a bill that has been a quarterly payment. They just informed us that it will now be every 4 months.  No way to accurately adjust frequency.  Need an option like a calendar recurrence... every XX months/weeks/days.

You can in QMac too. Not obvious but you select the Monthly recurrence and there you can specify how many months. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I agree that reminder frequencies need more options.  I have a bill that has been a quarterly payment. They just informed us that it will now be every 4 months.  No way to accurately adjust frequency.  Need an option like a calendar recurrence... every XX months/weeks/days.

Here is a screenshot from Quicken for Windows.  It shows every two months, but getting every four months is just a matter of changing the selection.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited December 2016

Thank you!  I should have known that. I saw monthly so didn't even click it to see additional options. It's all good now.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I just noticed a need for yet another reminder frequency, Last Workday of the month.

I have a need for a reminder that can be set to the last day of the month, excluding weekends or holidays.
    So, if for example, this reminder is due on April 30th, 2017, which falls on a weekend, the reminder needs to be executed on the preceding workday, Friday, April 28th, 2017.

edited April 2017
    UKR said:

I just noticed a need for yet another reminder frequency, Last Workday of the month.

I have a need for a reminder that can be set to the last day of the month, excluding weekends or holidays.
    So, if for example, this reminder is due on April 30th, 2017, which falls on a weekend, the reminder needs to be executed on the preceding workday, Friday, April 28th, 2017.

Good addition.  That means that a user would also need to be able to modify the "holiday" list due to religious or country of use.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    UKR said:

> "...need to be able to modify the "holiday" list due to religious or country of use."

Why?
    It's my understanding that Quicken is designed primarily (solely?) for the US market (and Canadian market in the Canadian version).
    Therefore there's no need to cater to foreign calendars ... unless Quicken Inc. begins to work on a new worldwide product designed for an international audience, with international calendars, Unicode character set support, support for currencies requiring routine transaction in excess of 100 million currency units, etc., etc.

edited April 2017
    UKR said:

Yes but not all the holidays are the same for Canada and US and currently there is no setting to differentiate the two in the Mac version...of course the Windows version has separate versions for each country.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited April 2017
    UKR said:

The US is a country of many religions and they have different days that they observe as holidays and need to be worked around for personal reasons.

Not everyone is a christian.

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    UKR said:

No offense, but forget religious holidays. It's the banking and federal holidays you need to be concerned about for making your payments on time in the US banking environment.
    edited April 2017
    UKR said:

Not if your religion prevents you from conducting business on certain days, for the stricter ones, updating your Quicken is conducting business, so you would need to schedule to do things around those restrictions.

• John WigginsJohn Wiggins Member
    edited October 2018
    At least for me, what I would be most useful is the "last workday of the month."
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

At least for me, what I would be most useful is the "last workday of the month."

As I commented in the thread that you originated, I don't see this as being feasible.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited August 2017

Actually, if you see my post at the very top here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-windows-and-mac?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=17987193#reply_17987193

this is VERY feasible...Though not shown explicitly, you can select Last Day (of month) and select Weekday. BusyCal figured it out, therefore, Quicken should be able to also...
    Of course, taking local holidays into account would be more complicated, but the basics are easy...
    For the odd times it does not fit local holidays, it just would require an occasional adjustment...no need to over-engineer this feature.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• edited March 2018
    Something that would permit selecting a 30-day billing cycle. Several of my utilities use this, so my "monthly" reminders are inaccurate after a couple of months.
  • GlennGlenn Member
    edited November 2017
    So last year, after my posting about the 90-day reminder need, I discovered a need for a transaction to be done every day for 49 days (except a couple of intermittant days that could have been skipped explicitly, if I had been able to schedule the transaction at all).  This year, I'm in the middle of the same event, but it is 56 days in duration. Yes, I could do 7 weekly transactions, but that shouldn't be necessary: one daily transaction repeated 49 or 56 times would have been much better.  And recently I have discovered needs for 30 day and 60 day transactions.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

To the person who wanted a reminder to be scheduled every 3 years:

Since you can't do "Yearly every [x] years" ... How about Monthly every [36] months on the [day] ?

I'm on Q Win 2018 and it looks like we're still all waiting for the "Daily" types of durations.

• edited March 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 30 day billing.

Many companies (particularly utilities) use a 30-day billing cycle. I would find Bill Reminders much more accurate and useful if I could set reminders for that period.
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reminder Frequency.

This idea (and several other related ideas) are covered by the following IDEA thread:
    New frequency set-up for Scheduled Reminders.

You may want to add your VOTE to it by by first, clicking on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Your VOTES matter!

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: 30 day billing.

• John WigginsJohn Wiggins Member
    edited January 2018
    Yes, looks good, but may be problematic on how Quicken will learn holidays.
    I would like to account for them myself, and would even accept it either reading from my mac calendar or I just define them in Quicken calendar directly.
  • bkmbkm Member
    edited March 2018
    psobilo said:

Do people really need to micro-manage their life so much that they need a reminder they bought coffee or paid a toll every day?  Consider the name of the screen: Income and Bill Reminder, not Income and Expense Reminder.  Just my opinion.

Some bills are withdrawn every X days, and currently it is not possible to set a reminder in Quicken for every X days.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I didn't state it explicitly in my original request, but a "Daily, every [xxx] days" needs to be included here.

There have been several requests for a "Daily, every [30] days" since this was originally posted.
    And, no, "Monthly" or "every 4 weeks" does not appear to cut it. It must be exactly "every 30 days".
    See an earlier post by Mark Baribeault in this message thread.

edited May 2018
    UKR said:

I didn't state it explicitly in my original request, but a "Daily, every [xxx] days" needs to be included here.

There have been several requests for a "Daily, every [30] days" since this was originally posted.
    And, no, "Monthly" or "every 4 weeks" does not appear to cut it. It must be exactly "every 30 days".

his post is here above:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-win...

edited May 2018
    UKR said:

Agreed in principle...but the most GENERIC approach is to add and allow for repeating [x] days, [x[ weeks, [x] months and [x] years, combined with options to select weekdays vs any day, and xth day of the month (every 2nd Tues), as illustrated in my post above here (as implemented in another software):
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-win...

This would address pretty much ALL possible scenarios (except handling of special holidays, etc).

• Lysander SpoonerLysander Spooner Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    ADD: Last business day of month

Examples:
    • Last calendar day of month is Sunday. QMac would schedule transaction on prior Friday.
    • Last calendar day of month is Bank Holiday. QMac would schedule transaction on first available prior bank business day. For example last calendar day of month is a Monday federal holiday. QMac would schedule this payment on the prior Friday.
    edited September 2018

ADD: Last business day of month

Examples:

• Last calendar day of month is Sunday. QMac would schedule transaction on prior Friday.
    • Last calendar day of month is Bank Holiday. QMac would schedule transaction on first available prior bank business day. For example last calendar day of month is a Monday federal holiday. QMac would schedule this payment on the prior Friday.
    The first one is also called Last Weekday, and is easier to implement. Many other software can handle that nicely ... as shown here:

Worth mentioning but the second is more challenging as it requires a source of data to ID the bank holidays, and is country dependent. So this would need to be available for both US and Canada.
    This is discussed above in a few places but mostly:
    and 

Both would be nice... first one is a lower hanging fruit  ;-)

• AndrewAndrew Member
    edited January 6
    Adding my two cents; the best repeating date dialog I've ever seen was in Lotus (IBM) NOTES.
    The nicest thing about this is that it ALSO had a date picker on the right side that after you do all of your selections, you can STILL pick any random set of dates manually as well.  This was really helpful.

For those that care, it is:

CALENDAR AND SCHEDULING

Repeat options

When you create a Calendar or To Do entry and select Repeats, Notes displays the Repeat Options dialog box.

Specify When the Meeting Repeats

If you select...then you can...

Daily; Select a value (from every day to every 31st day) to tell Notes how often the entry should repeat.

Weekly: Select
    a value (from every week to every eighth week) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the day of the week the entry
    should fall on.

Monthly by Date: Select
    a value (from every month to every 12th month) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the date (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on)
    you want the repeating entry to fall on each month.

Select "Count from the end of the month" if you want the repeating entry to appear in the Calendar beginning next month.

Monthly by Day: Select
    a value (from every month to every 12th month) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the day of the month (1st Sunday,
    1st Monday, and so on) you want the repeating entry to fall on.

Select "Count from the end of the month" if you want the repeating entry to appear in the Calendar beginning next month.

Yearly: Select a value (from every year to every 10th year) to tell Notes how often the entry should repeat.

Enter a starting date in the "Specify How Long the Meeting Repeats" section for the yearly entry.

Custom: Select
    dates from the date picker and click the "Add selected date" button to
    add the dates you select to the list of dates on the right side of the
    dialog box.

To remove a date from the list of dates, select the date and press DELETE.

Specify How Long the Meeting Repeats

You can change the time frame for the repeating entry by doing the following:

• Specifying its start date in the Starting field
    • Selecting "to" and specifying an end date for the repeat entry
    • Selecting "continuing for" and
      designating a period of time (in days, weeks, months, or years) for the
      repeat entry to appear in the Calendar

Specify Exceptions

You can make a selection in the "If a Meeting date
    occurs on a weekend" field to instruct Notes what to do if the entry
    falls on a weekend day.

• R DIllyR DIlly Member ✭✭
    Today I was trying to make an income reminder more accurately reflect the date on which the transaction should be expected. For this month, June 2019, the first business day (according to the institution sourcing the transaction) is Monday, June 3rd. While editing the reminder to handle this I see that under Optional Settings, there is a sub-option for the "Remind me ..." to "Use only business days for reminder days" as a check box. However, the "Due next on:" field and dialog does NOT seem to offer the same option.

So I CAN edit the date when I enter the transaction of course. But it seems odd to me to allow dates in "business days" in one part of this reminder feature, but not in another (where I wanted to leverage it today).

One would think the algorithm is already in the code, and a UI change could be made to apply in a second context.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12
    I think, that's a good idea. Quicken should be able to schedule a transaction on the First (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th or Last) Business Day (or Workday, excluding US or Canadian holidays and weekends).

I'm still waiting for word from Quicken if and when this might be implemented.

If anyone who reads this would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.

Every vote counts!

• NealTNealT Member ✭✭
    There are many times were people get paid on the 15th and last day of the month. If the either of those days occur on a weekend then they are paid on the Friday before. As the Paycheck Wizard is setup now in Quicken there is now way to specify Business Days in the wizard. How hard would it be to add? Couldn't be that hard.