Additional option for frequency of occurrence on bill reminders (75 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Agreed in principle...but the most GENERIC approach is to add and allow for repeating [x] days, [x[ weeks, [x] months and [x] years, combined with options to select weekdays vs any day, and xth day of the month (every 2nd Tues), as illustrated in my post above here (as implemented in another software):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/17987164#Comment_17987164

This would address pretty much ALL possible scenarios (except handling of special holidays, etc).

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    ADD: Last business day of month

Examples:
    • Last calendar day of month is Sunday. QMac would schedule transaction on prior Friday.
    • Last calendar day of month is Bank Holiday. QMac would schedule transaction on first available prior bank business day. For example last calendar day of month is a Monday federal holiday. QMac would schedule this payment on the prior Friday.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

The first one is also called Last Weekday, and is easier to implement. Many other software can handle that nicely ... as shown here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-win...

Worth mentioning but the second is more challenging as it requires a source of data to ID the bank holidays, and is country dependent. So this would need to be available for both US and Canada.
    This is discussed above in a few places but mostly:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-win...
    and 

Both would be nice... first one is a lower hanging fruit  ;-)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2020
    merged from "Adjust Scheduled Transactions by Business Day/Holiday Automatically"

Many transactions have due dates that are not the same every month. For example at my day job, I get paid twice a month: 15th and the last business day of the month.

If the 15th is on a Saturday, it is moved to the previous business day (Friday unless that's a holiday). If the 15th is on Sunday, it is moved to the next business day (Monday unless that's a holiday).

My night job is just paid every other Thursday.

Other transactions are on the same day of the month but need adjusted based on whether or not the date is a weekend/holiday. Some require moving to the previous business day and others move to the NEXT business day.

Related to this: I need to be able to configure the holidays that are used above. Some transactions don't treat some holidays the same (so that if a due date falls on it, it's still due that day). For example, my day job includes Truman Day as a holiday -- that is definitely one that I'd have to add but only use for the paycheck not other TXNs.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Seems like a very complicated system to implement and use.

My recommendations would be more like just have the reminder go it a day or so sooner, and maybe use the "business days only" option.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    P.S.  The paycheck reminders don't have the flexibility of regular reminders which I was referring to for the "business days only" option, it would be really nice if the paycheck reminders did have the same flexibility as the regular reminders.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Adding my two cents; the best repeating date dialog I've ever seen was in Lotus (IBM) NOTES.
    The nicest thing about this is that it ALSO had a date picker on the right side that after you do all of your selections, you can STILL pick any random set of dates manually as well.  This was really helpful.

For those that care, it is:

CALENDAR AND SCHEDULING

Repeat options

When you create a Calendar or To Do entry and select Repeats, Notes displays the Repeat Options dialog box.

Specify When the Meeting Repeats

If you select...then you can...

Daily; Select a value (from every day to every 31st day) to tell Notes how often the entry should repeat.

Weekly: Select
    a value (from every week to every eighth week) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the day of the week the entry
    should fall on.

Monthly by Date: Select
    a value (from every month to every 12th month) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the date (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on)
    you want the repeating entry to fall on each month.

Select "Count from the end of the month" if you want the repeating entry to appear in the Calendar beginning next month.

Monthly by Day: Select
    a value (from every month to every 12th month) to tell Notes how often
    the entry should repeat, then select the day of the month (1st Sunday,
    1st Monday, and so on) you want the repeating entry to fall on.

Select "Count from the end of the month" if you want the repeating entry to appear in the Calendar beginning next month.

Yearly: Select a value (from every year to every 10th year) to tell Notes how often the entry should repeat.

Enter a starting date in the "Specify How Long the Meeting Repeats" section for the yearly entry.

Custom: Select
    dates from the date picker and click the "Add selected date" button to
    add the dates you select to the list of dates on the right side of the
    dialog box.

To remove a date from the list of dates, select the date and press DELETE.

Specify How Long the Meeting Repeats

You can change the time frame for the repeating entry by doing the following:

• Specifying its start date in the Starting field
    • Selecting "to" and specifying an end date for the repeat entry
    • Selecting "continuing for" and
      designating a period of time (in days, weeks, months, or years) for the
      repeat entry to appear in the Calendar

Specify Exceptions

You can make a selection in the "If a Meeting date
    occurs on a weekend" field to instruct Notes what to do if the entry
    falls on a weekend day.

• R DIlly
    R DIlly Member ✭✭✭
    Today I was trying to make an income reminder more accurately reflect the date on which the transaction should be expected. For this month, June 2019, the first business day (according to the institution sourcing the transaction) is Monday, June 3rd. While editing the reminder to handle this I see that under Optional Settings, there is a sub-option for the "Remind me ..." to "Use only business days for reminder days" as a check box. However, the "Due next on:" field and dialog does NOT seem to offer the same option.

So I CAN edit the date when I enter the transaction of course. But it seems odd to me to allow dates in "business days" in one part of this reminder feature, but not in another (where I wanted to leverage it today).

One would think the algorithm is already in the code, and a UI change could be made to apply in a second context.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I think, that's a good idea. Quicken should be able to schedule a transaction on the First (or 2nd, 3rd, 4th or Last) Business Day (or Workday, excluding US or Canadian holidays and weekends).

I'm still waiting for word from Quicken if and when this might be implemented.

If anyone who reads this would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.

Every vote counts!

• NealT
    NealT Member ✭✭
    There are many times were people get paid on the 15th and last day of the month. If the either of those days occur on a weekend then they are paid on the Friday before. As the Paycheck Wizard is setup now in Quicken there is now way to specify Business Days in the wizard. How hard would it be to add? Couldn't be that hard.
  • Chris Sowerby
    Chris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    Bumping to keep this discussion alive. I recognize the challenge of including national or bank holidays but identifying the first or last weekday is a simple exercise. For the majority of Quicken users, this will just be the first Monday or last Friday of the month. Exceptions created by local holidays are infrequent and could be edited manually.
    Could Quicken please respond to this long-standing request (dates back to 2011)? In order to support peculiar cases like Canadian QPP/CPP (which also affects me :) ), it would be nice if the date selection could be presented as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... day from the beginning or end of a month (or year).
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for the record. There's another discussion about this subject here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849852/new-frequency-for-scheduled-reminders-both-q-windows-and-mac-45-legacy-votes

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.

Every vote counts!

• SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    I have been a user of Quicken Canada for almost 25 years. I would like to suggest a small improvement. I would like to be able to schedule a bill / income reminder for a certain day of the month. For example, I would like to schedule transactions for the 3rd last banking day of each month. Is this possible? If not, is it something that could be added in a future release?

Thank you.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    When you configure a bill transaction, you have a lot of possibilities by going on "Due next on" and clicking on "change" on your right. On the next window, you will see "How often", click on the arrow, you will find a lot of choices.
    Hope it helps.

• SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    Valderi, Thanks for your quick response.

I tried your suggestion but there is now way to select something like the 3rd last business day of every month.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SidToll said:  I tried your suggestion but there is now way to select something like the 3rd last business day of every month.
    I think that is way too specific for the effort involved to have Quicken calculate -
    Why ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    Why? Because some pension deposits (e.g., CPP, OAS) are always on the 3rd last banking day of the month.
  • crashmeister2
    crashmeister2 Member ✭✭
    This should be such a simple change. Why are we still waiting ?
    Very little programming effort for a big win is usability.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    "Why are we still waiting?" Because there's a huge list of feature requests users have for the developers, and development proceeds slowly. The developers have generally focused most of their time on things Quicken simply can't do rather than refinements (like this request) to things it can do. It doesn't mean it's not a good idea; it just means it hasn't made it to the top of the list. It may not be perceived as something a lot of people are seeking, or it may turn out that it's complicated to implement.

I'd note that no one has voted for this idea in the blue box at the top of this thread. (It probably had a few votes on the old forum site that got lost in transition to the current site earlier this year; any topics which had significant votes were manually updated.) So, if this is an idea you'd like to see implemented, go to the top of the page and click the small gray triangle to register your vote. The more votes an idea gets, the more likely the developers are to prioritize it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Telephone payment due dates have a 30 day window - not a monthly window.  So the due date keeps slipping on the them.  Please add a Daily selection to the How Often reminder scheduler with Every # days for frequency so every 30 days can be selected.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to vote for your own idea! Click on the small triangle in the big blue box to vote.

I have not encountered this but it seems useful.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the mean time, I'd go with "weekly", every 4, which would get you 28 days.
    While it would creep on you the other way, it would not put you in a late payment situation.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm using Splasher's suggestion.  Hope it works.  Thanks.
    I voted on UKR's link as well.
    Thanks.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken allows adding a reminder for longer than one year but doesn't have the option to make it repeat. For example, I have payments for subscription renewals, driver's license, etc. that are maybe 2 or 3 years away that I can only add for one-time. After using them, I have to re-enter them.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're using Q 2019, at the moment there doesn't seem to be a way to set a reminder to Yearly, every [x] years.
    IIRC, there once was but somebody seems to have made a change ... :-(
    As a workaround use Monthly, every [xx] months where [xx] is 24, 36 or (number of years * 12)
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    As a workaround use Monthly, every [xx] months where [xx] is 24, 36 or (number of years * 12)
    clever idea -
    I have a couple of those - and just left them at YEARLY
    so I go look and see what kind of schedule I'm actually on.... a couple of mags -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm amending my earlier post.
    Rereading my discussion from several years ago, there does not appear to ever have been a Yearly, every [x] years function.
    I vote for having the Yearly frequency updated to include "every [x] years" capability.

• WAYNE BATCHELOR
    WAYNE BATCHELOR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    You should be able to specify Weekday as well as Day for Recurring Reminders.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    smayer97 said:
    I would add that the option should be to be able to schedule based on a user defined # of days, e.g. every 15 days, 21 days, 30 days, etc. This would make this feature more flexible and accommodate many other scenarios that are not easy to handle right now.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.)

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Hi @smayer97

Posters, who want to Vote, must go to the First Page of the Idea to cast their Vote. Commenting does not increase or decrease the Vote.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754