Can I move my Quicken 2017 file from my Windows PC on a memory stick to my Mac with subscription ver

Best Answers

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    So you're using Quicken Windows 2017, and you want to move to Quicken Mac 2020? Yes, you can do this by moving your data file to the Mac and then using Quicken Mac to import it.

But in case you're not aware, Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows have some significant differences. There's tons written about that on this forum. And the transition is typically a one-way road; you can't go back from Quicken Mac to Quicken Windows.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, accessing your Quicken data file from a cloud drive (ie: OneDrive) can lead to file corruption.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-share-my-quicken-file-between-multiple-computers-using-dropbox

Services such as OneDrive or Google Drive can be used as a location to store backups of your Quicken data files.  We don't recommend storing your active data files, or installing Quicken, on these drives.  If you restore a backup that is located in your cloud drive, make certain the restored file is saved locally on your hard drive before using the file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting off topic but there is another thing that can happen when actively working on your Quicken data file from a cloud-based storage location...that is Access-Control List (ACL) permission, whereby files within your data file have their ACL changed by the cloud serve at inopportune times so that Quicken can no longer perform as needed.

And beyond this, recognized and admitted by Quicken, there can also be other factors that can still eventually lead to unrecoverable data corruption, and so is ill advised.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.