Portfolio report for Q Mac (119 Legacy Votes)

2»

Comments

• Elvin - Quicken 2019 (5.9.1) MacOS (10.14.1)
    edited December 2018
    Would like to see Morningstar Rating and Fund Category back in the Portfolio View along with user-defined "Goal" which I used on a regular basis in Quicken 2007 to balance my mutual fund allocation. 
  • Rich
    Rich Member ✭✭✭
    I don't see a spot to vote at the top of the page.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich said:
    I don't see a spot to vote at the top of the page.
    In this forum, you now have to go to the top of page 1 to find the VOTE button at the bottom of the OP.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

The ability to print the portfolio view by account/ all accounts and show security, symbol, current quote, cost basis, current value, gain/loss, etc. Is available in the Subscription version of Quicken for Mac.

To do so, select "Investing" on the left-hand side to the view of all the brokerage/investment accounts in one place.

Then toggle either all accounts or a specific account.

Then select File > Print or Command + P to view the report.

Thank you for all of your votes and patience while this feature was added.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken_Tyka  While it's true that you can print from the Portfolio view, what has been implemented so far still falls short of the request for Portfolio reports. The problem is that you can't set up and save specific reports. Every time I want to see something specific about performance or capital gains or unrealized gains, I need to tweak various settings on the Portfolio screen to get what I want -- and then change them back to my "normal" view until the next time I want to generate some type of report. It's much better than not being able to print at all, but it does not equal the functionality of Quicken Mac 2007 or Quicken Windows in being able to have various saved investing reports.

I would request that you change the text on this request to indicate that it has been PARTIALLY implemented in the current Quicken Mac. And to make sure that in the feedback passed from the moderation team to the development team that they are aware there is still a strong desire to be able to have saved, named investment reports in Quicken Mac. Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @jacobs

Thank you for the response and for providing more details.

In reviewing the OP, I did not see any mention of capital gains, unrealized gains, or the ability to save the report. 

For reference:

I like to go to meetings with my financial advisor with a printout of my investment portfolios. I have several accounts at different "brokerages" because of 401k, rollover IRA, etc. It is a pain to go to each web site and print a report, and they are not in the same format, etc. All I really want is the ability to print the Portfolio view of any or all of my accounts. By account, show security, symbol, current quote, cost basis, current value, gain/loss, etc.

I believe this Idea was initially created when printing and copying had been temporarily disabled and that's what this Idea is referencing.

This Idea will remain as Implemented. However, the Idea at the link below has been submitted regarding Investment Performance reporting and the ability to generate and save an investment report.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7635204/investment-performance-report-for-quicken-mac-7-legacy-votes/p1?new=1

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka You cannot look JUST at the OP's comment but the many others too with references to QM2007. AND the OP DOES mention " By account, show security, symbol, current quote, cost basis, current value, gain/loss, etc." [emphasis added].

MANY users have been directed to vote on this on the basis that this is a REPORT...with the implication of having all report capabilities and flexibility, hence the ETC in the OP's comments AND the MANY references to QM2007. If you mark this as implemented, you are losing all that interest and understanding.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• roses26
    roses26 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

This whole thing is very unhelpful. Click here, here, and here, to add your vote. Oh, the link is temporarily unavailable. I think not temporarily. [Removed - Rant]

• jacobs

@roses26 There are broken links on some posts which date back many years to the prior forum software platform Quicken used before the current one. It's because the URLs changed when they switched platforms. Initially there was some live mapping of old URLs to the new ones, but that fell apart when the company which ran the old forum software pulled the plug. Blame them (getsatisfaction.com), not Quicken for that. The moderators and some of us users have been trying to update some of the old links to current ones as we come across them, but there are some old links which have not been (and probably will never be) updated.

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭

Other than spending reports, Mac version is skimpy on Portfolio Investing reports. Why not just be able to SAVE Investment Reports for future use? Mac version only good for Spending Reports. Ugh! Also, Mac version does not calculate Buying or Selling of BONDS correctly. Mac version is Dismal for INVESTING.

• jacobs

Mac version is skimpy on Portfolio Investing reports. Why not just be able to SAVE Investment Reports for future use?

Well, the second part is dead on; there's no way to save and re-use investment reports, and that is very much-desired functionality we're still waiting for the developers to deliver.

I'd disagree a bit on the first statement, though. With the Portfolio screen, using the filters and columns available, it's possible to display and print a pretty significant amount of investment reporting. For me and my level of investing, I can actually get most of the investment reporting I want from Quicken Mac.

It's absolutely annoying to have to re-configure which filters and accounts are selected each time you want a different report, but it is do-able with a few clicks. Of course, there are more performance metrics users want than the existing fixed Gain, IRR and ROI time periods; there's no comparison to indexes; and lots of other reporting refinements that investors would like to see. So for some of us, the situation is not as bad as "dismal", but indisputably needs some development effort to make investment reporting robust in Quicken Mac. From some user surveys I've taken, I believe the developers are well aware of the shortcomings and desires in this area, but we have no idea where they have prioritized this development work relative to the many other areas of needs in the program.

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭

well the mac version is built better than windows, but mac version reporting shows it is not a replacement for windows reporting. You'd think if they were going to build a platform to mirror the windows version they would've including all the reporting that windows has. I find the mac version the same as windows for spending reports, but like others, I find the investing reports lacking and thus the mac version IS NOT a replacement for windows version. Yet. :(

• jacobs

Hopefully, “yet” is the key word. I do think the Mac development team will get to building out investment reports at some point; we all hope it will be sooner than later, but no one knows.

Unfortunately, they have so many features users want/expect/need, and building them (without breaking anything) is a slow process. Everything has to be designed and coded from scratch; the Windows version may provide a bullet point list of features, but because of the major underlying technical differences, it’s not a blueprint for development on the Mac.

And we Quicken users utilize the program so differently, we don’t agree on what the top priorities for the developers should be. Should it be investment reports? What about a functioning budget report? Or multi-currency functionality? Or business and rental property features? Or handling s security mergers/acquisitions? Or taxable retirement account withdrawals? Or… well, it’s a long list! 😉

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta

IMHO im not expecting great things from the Quicken folks when it comes to Investments; They have clearly shown there is either limited or no capability in house to address critical investment issues or even to undertake meaningful discussions. I recall in 2016 when I transitioned to QM the CEO promised equal capability in short order. Dont recall his exact commitment but we are clearly long past his dates.

I realize this sounds a bit sour grapes but I have simply adjusted to this reality.

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭

I would like to use only the mac version, but I don't see that in the foreseeable future. Here's a novel idea….don't release a product until it's ready to be released. Excel for Mac is almost identical to the windows version. as is almost every other dual app. If the company is underfunded or has inadequate resources, why not wait and get it right before releasing a new product? Instead they ask users to VOTE for the features they want? Hah!

From the comments, the 2007 mac version is better than the 2023 version. Figure that out!

• jacobs

@Concordman said: I recall in 2016 when I transitioned to QM the CEO promised equal capability in short order. Dont recall his exact commitment but we are clearly long past his dates.

You're exactly right. His video announcement described reaching a level of parity (not exactly a feature-for-feature match) within one to two years of Quicken breaking away from Intuit. Obviously, that hasn't happened over the ensuing 7+ years. They did add more people to the Mac development team, but to me, that indicates that they didn't have a handle on the complexity of the existing software and what it took to add features without breaking the existing product. I can understand that to some extent, but the magnitude of the miscalculation is surprising to me. Either they're not good at defining and executing on development projects, or there was a big disconnect between the developers room and the C-suite. (Who know, maybe all the developers rolled their eyes or laughed at his 2016 pronouncement because they know it was not going to come to fruition.) So, yes, the reality we've all had to adjust to is that progress is much slower than any of us would want. For me, I try to be somewhat satisfied as long as I continue to see forward progress — which I do. But there are a host of features I wish they had ready to roll out tomorrow.

@hgillman said: Here's a novel idea….don't release a product until it's ready to be released

That's easy to say, but here's the reality of what that would look like. Development on the legacy Quicken 2007 ended in 2006 because the development team could see there was no way to update the core database, UI and printing technologies in Quicken 2007 to the future macOS Apple was telling developers was coming. So they went into the lab and began work on a next-generation Quicken Mac product. Former parent Intuit fumbled for several years, stopping and starting work and disbanding the original development team, but even if we look past a few lost years, it wouldn't significantly change the picture. As we've seen, as of 2023, it's still not "complete", so there would have been no Quicken product for Mac on the market since 2007, or at least since Apple made it impossible to run with the release of macOS Catalina in 2019. So while their developers toiled away on building a new product which was "ready" for release, there would have been no Quicken Mac on the market. All former Quicken Mac users, except the minority which held onto old Macs with old operating systems, would have moved on to other personal finance products. and what would be the market for the new Quicken Mac when it was finally was "ready" for release in 2025? 2027? later? And what company would spend the money to invest in a new product for a decade or more with zero revenue coming in?

No, I'm sorry, the idea of not releasing Quicken Mac until it had every key feature users want, matching the two to three decades of development in the legacy Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows, would not have been viable. They had to release something, incomplete though it was, and continue to iterate to improve it. Is there a way they could have moved faster and gone farther? Possibly, but I don't have the insight to know what it would have taken to move faster. But not releasing Quicken Mac for all this time would have killed the product.

Meanwhile, Quicken Mac currently meet the needs of a group of users. (After all, there are a lot of people who use Quicken simply to manage their checking account or, a few checking/savings/credit card accounts, who don't even track investments in Quicken.) And there's another group of users who use the product but find it lacking in one or more areas. And there's a third group of want-to-be users who find it so critically lacking in one or more areas that they can't use it. I don't have any data to assign percentages to those groups, but I'd guess the latter group is probably 10-20%, while the people who are happy, or at least satisfied enough to use it, are the significant majority.

• Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Planned as it has been accepted by our Product and Development team for future implementation. Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭

wonderful news!!! Hope it comes to fruition soon.

• hgillman
    hgillman Member ✭✭

Kristina—-also, the Mac version has a problem with Selling Bonds. They should fix that. The Windows version does it correctly.

• jacobs

@hgillman Adding that comment here on a completely unrelated topic isn't going to move anything forward. You should (a) post a separate thread about the issue you're describing, and/or (b) use the Help > Report a Problem screen in Quicken Mac if you believe you've found a bug in the program, and/or (c) call Quicken Support, who can either help you troubleshoot and fix the problem or document it for escalation to the development team.