Projected balance graph scale (y-axis) (12 Merged/Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
Is there any way to change the vertical axis of the projected balance graph?  Currently, the scale I'm seeing is up to $30,000, but transactions for the particular account displayed are designed to keep the account at a minimum balance of $100.  Thus, the graph shows a projected balance line that is so close to the horizontal axis as to be functionally useless.
24 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 11/3/23 - CBT-205

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hey Paul,

Unfortunately there aren't any settings or options to change the graph.

I have changed this post to Idea thread so other users can vote on this feature.

Thank you for you taking the time to come to the community and contribute.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    At the very least the logic should be more intelligent to only scale based on displayed data and nothing else... A user override would be nice too.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

At the very least the logic should be more intelligent to only scale based on displayed data and nothing else... A user override would be nice too.

In my experience, that is exactly how Quicken scales the Projected Balances graph. I suspect the OP has a balance near $30K shown in the display, causing it to scale that way.

Adding- setting the Low Balance Forecast in the account register might be an alternative for the OP in an account with maximum projected balances that are two orders of magnitude higher than the low balance warning desired.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

In QWIn that is true. In QMac, there are quirks. In this case, need to explore this more to be sure if there is more to it but this is not the first time I have seen this mentioned.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2020
    merged from Projected Balance Y axis should be scaled "nicely"

In QM2018, dollar values on the Projected Balance vertical axis are typically not rounded and look quite unappealing.  The endpoints of the data range are poorly chosen, and when divided into equal intervals usually result in ugly, complicated tick labels.

The values for the tick marks should be "nice", simple decimal numbers.  For example, if the data range is 107 to 544, we'd probably want the axis range to be from 100 to 600 and put tick marks every 100 units. Or if the data range is 2.04 to 2.16, we'd probably plot a range from 2.00 to 2.20 with a tick spacing of 0.05.

A simple method for generating nice graph labels (from stackoverflow.com) is to only use the numbers 1, 2 and 5, and power-of-10 multiples of these numbers.  Only use such numbers for the tick spacing, and place tick marks and their values at multiples of the tick spacing.

For reference, Quicken's investment portfolio graphs do a much better job of labeling the Y axis than the Project Balance graphs (though still not quite as elegant as the above method).

• JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭

setting the Low Balance Forecast in the account register might be an alternative for the OP in an account with maximum projected balances that are two orders of magnitude higher than the low balance warning desired.

I know this is an old post but how do you set the Low Balance Forecast in the account register? I can't find this.
  • george.toh
    george.toh Member ✭✭
    The current "bug" needs to be fixed. There is no reason for the y axis to be so far off the projected balance trend scale.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please Vote on Ideas

Ideas are brought to the attention of the programmers for consideration.

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count.
    Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.
    The little triangle changes to black when you have registered your vote.

Every vote counts!

• exdox77
    exdox77 Member
    edited December 2019
    Is it me or does the Mac Version of the Projected Balances lack the some features as the Windows version? I thought I could do more in with the graph on the Windows version than I can on the Mac version.

Example: Tons of white space above the line when filtering and there is no custom date option, max is 1 year. Anyone else have this issue? Support wasn't very supportive.
  • Eric_S
    Eric_S Member ✭✭
    Yes I would like this too. The graph picks ridiculous ranges on the y axis, and it would be very helpful to select custom date ranges.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric_S said:
    ... and it would be very helpful to select custom date ranges.
    This is also a subset of the following IDEA request. You can also add your VOTE to Custom Bills & Income Projected Balance time period/date selection

First
    , click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

• Tom Auer
    Tom Auer Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    It looks like Quicken has added a few new features to the Bills and Income Balances tab. Unfortunately, it would also appear that Quicken has yet to correct a misfeature on this tab. My favorite feature is to show the balance on my primary account (i.e. my checking account), which I've taken to doing for the next 90 days. (An arbitrary number of days would be a nice enhancement, but not my main request.) Where in the hell does Quicken come up with the five points on the Y-axis?! One of those points is zero; the other four seem to be quite arbitrary and absurd. How about some rounding and control of those numbers? I very much like tracking the pulse of my finances, and consider it to be an achievement of midlife that the pulse is reasonably predictable. Please enhance one of Quicken's best features!
  • EricHardegree
    EricHardegree Member ✭✭
    Yes! Depending on the scale max & min, round to the nearest $1,000 or $100 or $50, etc. This should be very easy to implement.
  • HartKJ
    HartKJ Member
    Is there any hope this basic graphing capability will be added???? Ruins an otherwise very helpful function.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    HartKJ said:
    Is there any hope this basic graphing capability will be added????
    @HartKJ There's no way anyone here can answer that. Unless an Idea post is marked "Planned" by the developers, it probably not on the development roadmap yet -- except sometimes the developers jump in and do some enhancements because they see the need, or they're working in the same area of the code. This idea has not attracted a large number of votes at this point; more votes would allow the moderators to push this to the developers -- so anyone who want to see this functionality should scroll to the top of this thread and click the black arrow in the yellow box.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Eric_S
    Eric_S Member ✭✭

It's not letting me vote but I definitely vote for this one.

• Hello @Eric_S,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this thread.

The voting option has been restored and should allow you to add your vote now. If you still experience any issues, please response back and let us know.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• dvoeks
    dvoeks Member ✭✭

Would you consider also allowing the forward projection period (i.e. the x-axis) to be configurable for ranges greater than 12 months (i.e 2 years, 5 years). It's often very useful and important to be able to project beyond a 1 year horizon

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

FWIW, the Windows version has a custom setting that allows future dates greater than 12 months to be used in Projected Balances.