Add option to choose if un-paid transactions show in Today's Balance (Q Mac)

josber27
josber27 Member ✭✭

I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac (version 5.17.3) and my "Today's Balance" now includes transactions that have not yet been marked as paid. This used to not be the case and defeats the purpose of "Today's Balance" since my balance shouldn't take into account things that haven't yet been paid. :/:/

15 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Clarification - This is requesting the ability to view bill reminders in the register and have the option to not have them factored into Today's Balance.

Comments

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    The release notes to 5.17.0 state:

"The calculation we use to derive Today's Balance has changed. Going forward, this balance will now match the running balance in the register and include past-due scheduled transactions."

I guess this was put in to make sure that people didn't forget about past-due transactions that might cause them to have an overdraft.
  • josber27
    josber27 Member ✭✭
    Shouldn't that have been a new field like "Today's Projected Balance"? This is rather misleading and doesn't allow for the user to know what their "TRUE" balance is. You've taken a field that gave a solid number and made it more of a projection. How can I request that the old calculation be added back into the software. I relied heavily on that calculation. Also, the transaction registry already had the "Projected Balance" and in my opinion there isn't as much of a need to put it on the top right in the "Today's Balance" field. Please add this calculation object back into your software and give the users an option of which way they'd like to view the data.
  • Gcat
    Gcat Member
    I agree with josber27. The change that was made renders "Today's Balance" useless! I do not want my scheduled transactions that have not been paid or deposited to be in the calculation of "Today's Balance". That is what "Projected Balance" is for. Now I have to use a calculator to get my account balance!

Please reverse this change and revert back to the calculation used before 5.17.0.
  • gpb5257
    gpb5257 Member
    I agree with Gcat. Today's Balance does not give you a true reading of what you have. You can go into Projected Balance to see that. I always look at my checking account to see what has posted and compare to my Quicken. I have found that my balance never seems to match my checking account on a daily basis any more.
    Please put it back to the original way of calculating balance.
  • Turk
    Turk Member
    Quicken.... Running Balance is already at bottom top (or bottom) of transaction list. Including non-posted transactions on Today's Balance is an inconvenience. Please reverse the update or incorporate the option to choose.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello all,

I have gone ahead and changed this post to an Idea thread so that everyone may vote to add the option to choose what is displayed in the Today's balance.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Marie-LP
    Marie-LP Member
    I agree with all the users above. I am using a calculator to keep track of my running balance (without unpaid bills that are projected to be paid), and having to manually keep a written log. It took me days to figure it was the balance in Quicken that was off and not my own calculations. So frustrating!! This has to be an oversight in the software engineering and should most definitely be corrected as soon as possible.
  • dhssk
    dhssk Member
    Added my upvote to this topic as well. Have been using Quicken 2007 (and prior versions) for Mac for years now and decided to try the new Quicken version. Have been entering transactions in both versions until I'm sure the new version is usable. This issue is close to a deal breaker. I find that I keep going back to the older Quicken register to see what the true 'Balance Today' value is given that there's no way to see that in the new Quicken version. Seems like originally, this worked as expected in the new Quicken, but they changed it around July 2020 in version 5.17.0 per user John_M. Seems like a huge step backwards. Until this gets addressed, my choice are to keep entering transactions in both versions or stop using the new version.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dhssk  The developers apparently felt that having the running balance in the register for today not equal to Today's Balance at the top confused too many users.

I've found there's a pretty easy way to be consistent with the real world and have meaningful balances: move any unpaid transaction(s) into the future. If I have a transaction which I'm not marking paid because it hasn't yet occurred, I double-click the transaction, press T + and Return. ('T' makes the date today, "+" moves the date one day forward.) This moves the transaction's date to tomorrow while leaving it unpaid, so that today's balance in the running balance column and at the top of the screen agree and match the account in the real world. (In other cases, I just mark the transaction paid, if I know it's pending and will post within a day or two.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• josber27
    josber27 Member ✭✭

I am the original post requesting this. I will absolutely up-vote this…

• Hello @josber27,

Your idea, as you described it originally, is already offered. You can exclude bill reminders from being counted in the running total (and by extension from showing up in Today's Balance) by clicking the clock icon near the upper right of the register and selecting "Don't Show Reminders".

Is that what you were wanting, or is your request to be able to view reminders in the register, but not have them factored into Today's Balance?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2023

I think the original request and many of the comments in this thread are a request to have an option whether unpaid scheduled transactions do or don't count in the displayed Today's Balance. Since people use scheduled transactions in lots of different ways, it makes sense to me to offer this option.

Today's Balance used to work the opposite way and some people wanted it changed; when it was changed to the current way, some people wanted it changed back — which clearly points to a need for an option to do it either way. 😀

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • josber27
    josber27 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023

Kristina, I would much prefer to have the ability view reminders, but not have them factored into Today's Balance.

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta

I also want to have the ability to show reminders in the register, but not have scheduled transactions factor into Today’s Balance until I mark them as paid, even if they are due that day or are even overdue. It always confuses me when a transaction I haven’t marked as paid is throwing off an account balance. Sometimes I have some reminders set up for transactions where someone is sending me money through Venmo but they end up paying me a few days late. I don’t know the exact day they will actually send me the money, and I don’t want my account or Today’s Balance to reflect the scheduled transaction until I have marked it as paid. Please add the option to have account balances and Today’s Balance not include scheduled transactions that haven’t yet been marked as paid.