Best upgrade route from Windows Quicken 2002 (to Mac)

jnoble100
jnoble100 Member ✭✭
Hi gang. I've been using Quicken UK on Windows for many years now but use Macs at home now. I have Quicken 2002 Deluxe for Windows running under a VM on my Mac and usually it works but currently getting invalid file errors after backing up the file in Quicken and then going to the main data file. Worked fine 2 weeks ago but now getting this error. I reckon I've got over 20 years financial data in total, so don't want to lose it.

Is there a recommended upgrade route to go to get Quicken on the Mac and import all my data from the Windows version? With GBP as my main currency as based in the UK.

Can't find any Mac based equivalent products that work as well as Quicken, hence the Windows 10 VM just for Quicken 2002.

Thanks in advance.

-- Jason

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @jnoble100,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

To upgrade from Quicken for Windows 2002 to Quicken for Mac 2020 you will first need to convert your data using two different Quicken for Windows intermediate versions before converting to Quicken for Mac - Quicken for Windows 2004, then Quicken for Windows 2013.

Please, review this support article for instructions on how to do so. First, open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown section titled Converting a data file from Quicken 98 - 2003, then open and follow the instructions found in the blue dropdown section titled If you are converting from Quicken 2004 through 2009.

Once that is done, please review and follow the instructions found in this support article on how to convert from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for Mac.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the quick reply Anja. Will this route allow me to use GBP as my home currency? Also looking at the link, it says " if you convert from any Quicken for Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues." - how likely is this? And if I do run into data file issues (and I may already have this), am I able to go back to 2002?
  • jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    And then where would I get the Quicken Mac version, as I'm back in the UK?
  • Quicken Anja
    You can purchase Quicken for Mac through our Plans & Pricing page on our website.

However, if you run into trouble placing your order online, then I recommend calling Quicken Support directly and placing your order over the phone with assistance from one of our support agents.

Since you are in the UK, I've also sent you a direct message with Quicken Support's toll-free number. Please, navigate to the inbox in the top right-hand corner of the Community page and check your inbox.

Click here to view Quicken Support's Hours of Operation.

-Quicken Anja

• jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. Will the US versions allow me to have GBP as the main currency? All my existing data is in GBP.
  • Quicken Anja
    Yes, it will. :)

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Anja
    jnoble100 said:
    Thanks for the quick reply Anja. Will this route allow me to use GBP as my home currency? Also looking at the link, it says " if you convert from any Quicken for Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues." - how likely is this? And if I do run into data file issues (and I may already have this), am I able to go back to 2002?
    I apologize as I somehow missed seeing this response from you.

Data file issues can occur, however, are more likely to occur if you upgraded from 2002 straight to the latest 2020 version. We advise using the intermediate versions to help prevent data damage and/or corruption.

If you wish to eventually revert back to 2002, you can if you still have the original disk to install the program with-- Windows only allows you to have one version of Quicken installed at a time, so each time you install a new/different version of Quicken, the previous version automatically uninstalls. You would also need to keep your original 2002 data file copy. The conversion process does not overwrite the original 2002 copy and instead creates a new copy.

-Quicken Anja

• jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your help Anja, and on a Sunday. One last question if that's ok - which specific 2002 files should I keep for backups (just in case it goes wrong)?
  • Quicken Anja
    You're very welcome! :)

As for the backups, there isn't necessarily a specific number of backups I can recommend as we would generally recommend that the more backups you have, the better, in case data damage or file corruption occurs. However, personally, what I like to do with my own Quicken is keep at least the last 5 most recent backups.

-Quicken Anja

• jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Sounds a good plan for backups. I do them through the backup option in Quicken after every time I run it. The problem is yesterday when I did the backup, it backed up but then when going back to the main screen an error comes up saying "Invalid file". I've tried validating the file and the same error. Tried restoring and restarting and the same.
  • jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Anja" said:
    > You're very welcome! :)
    >

I've just tried the update to 2004 on Windows and when I open the 2002 file in version 2004, I get 2 errors - see attached. Anything I'm missing?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Per Quicken Tamara….International versions can not be converted to US versions.

Here's a couple links....

Post about 2004 UK version

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7861819/upgrading-from-win-2004-edited 

And see

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7866576/can-quicken-xg-files-be-converted

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @volvogirl non SuperUsers/Moderators can't see your first link because it is archived, need to get a moderator to change it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling on @Dan Glynhampton

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it doesn't open?  It opens ok for me.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    volvogirl said:
    So it doesn't open?  It opens ok for me.
    Common problem for us mere mortals.   :wink:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I was hoping from what Quicken Anja said that there was a way to do this. But sadly not looking like it. Any suggestions at all to get around the non-US version issue?
  • jnoble100
    jnoble100 Member ✭✭
    Managed to figure it out and go via Money and now on Quicken 2013. Sadly none of my reports have been copied over and some accounts that were hidden are no longer hidden, and bizarrely all one account now just shows spend and no income in. Managed to do this on a test account so need to keep playing about with it. Gut feeling is 2002 is still better looking!
This discussion has been closed.