Does Quicken have something analogous to Quickbooks' classes?

Options
stuso
stuso Member
Does Quicken have something analogous to Quickbooks' classes? Perhaps "sub"-expense & income types?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can have sub-categories for both Income and for Expense items in  Q.
    There are also TAGS, which are more similar to QB's "classes".  In fact,  "tags" were previously, in Q, called "classes".
    You can NOT, however, have sub-accounts for Asset or Liability items.
    And, BTW, you can't convert your data from QB to Q, except manually.  Q can't read a QB data file.
    SO, if you're considering this switch, I'd advise that you get Q and start setting up your Accounts and Categoires in it.  Then,  close out the year in  QB and start the new year in Quicken.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• stuso
    stuso Member
    Options
    Thank you. Especially about the tags. I used Quicken 30 years ago and could have sworn there were classes.
    Are "sub" tags possible?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's no such thing as sub-tags ... but you CAN have multiple tags on the same item.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• stuso
    stuso Member
    Options
    Thank you. That answers my questions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There used to be sub-classes but when Quicken replaced the classes paradigm with tags, they eliminated sub-classes. That said, you can emulate subclasses by creating 'tags' and 'tags.subtags', e.g. taxes, taxes.federal, taxes.provincial, taxes.state, etc.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Judyrb
    Judyrb Member ✭✭
    Options

Why does Quicken REVERSE the position of multiple tags in the transaction? What I mean is I have a multi tag called JRB:john . Soon after I enter this transaction, Quicken changes it to john:JRB. I change it back; Quicken changes it again, and this is true even of memorized payees. I expect it happens on OSU at some point. Quicken Classic Windows (Current 2/2024). I think this is a BUG and it has happened for the last year plus.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @Judyrb,

Since this is an older post that was originally created back in 2020, it is less likely to receive an answer now.

I would suggest creating a new post for better visibility and to potentially receive responses from other users who may currently be experiencing the same problem. Doing so will also assist us with better tracking ability in the event that this issue may result in an escalation being required.

Please be sure to include a description of the issue, any error messages as well as the version of Quicken you have currently running (Help > About Quicken). The more information you are able to provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.