Add Keyboard Shortcut to Jump to Other Side of Transfer Transaction in Quicken Mac (31 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Please add keyboard shortcut to be able to switch between either account of a transfer transactions, like in QM2007. (Read below for more detailed description and comments.)

Be sure to click the little black triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow box below, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register). (If it is gray, your vote has been registered.) Your VOTE matters!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

31 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

QMAC-18846

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.
    You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Or at least provide the option to get there...like QW had...
  • ajkessel
    ajkessel Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    To be clear, this feature is as badly needed on Windows as on Mac!
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    We really need this feature! This was a part of Quicken 2007 for Mac, but here we are in the year 2020, and this feature is nowhere to be found!  :/:|:s:(
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the need for this. If I double-click on a transaction that is on the receiving end of a transfer, I get this message:

Then all I need to do is click on "Go To Transfer" to be able to edit the transaction. Maybe I'm not understanding what this request is about.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Keyboard access vs mouse access. ;-)

Also to go from the sending side to the receiving side, again using keyboard vs mouse access.

• John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Got it. I guess I've always used the mouse more than the keyboard, so I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    John_M said:
    I don't understand the need for this. If I double-click on a transaction that is on the receiving end of a transfer, I get this message:

Then all I need to do is click on "Go To Transfer" to be able to edit the transaction. Maybe I'm not understanding what this request is about.

I have never seen this message before, and I am unable to replicate it now.

Also, I do not have "locked transactions", and I don't even know what that is.

So, needless to say, this is not a solution to the problem.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Scott – I did a little more research on this. It turns out that the message above is usually only obtained when the transfer is part of a split. For example, my paycheck has transfers to another bank account, a retirement account, and a healthcare reimbursement account. If I click on any of those transactions in the register, it gives the above message and takes me back to the originating account.

For a simple transfer from one account to another, it doesn't do this, but the program lets me edit from either end of the transfer.

So, other than having to use a mouse rather than a keyboard shortcut, I think it accomplishes the same thing. I realize that many people rely on keyboard shortcuts, but until those are available, this works fine for me.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @John_M  You're assuming people would only want to jump to the transfer register when they try to edit a transaction. But sometimes, you see a transaction and want to see it in the other register, so you need a way to get there. The arrow in the Transfer column provides that way to get there -- without double-clicking the transaction to edit it which, in some cases, results in the dialog box you posted. But in legacy Quicken Mac, there was also a keyboard command to do the same thing as the current arrow. All that's being requested here is such a keyboard shortcut.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Okay. Got it. I've never been a keyboard shortcut kind of guy, so I didn't understand the rationale. I'm happy to just click on the account in the sidebar with my mouse to get there.
  • Scott Rose
    Scott Rose Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2020
    jacobs said:
    @John_M  You're assuming people would only want to jump to the transfer register when they try to edit a transaction. But sometimes, you see a transaction and want to see it in the other register, so you need a way to get there. The arrow in the Transfer column provides that way to get there -- without double-clicking the transaction to edit it which, in some cases, results in the dialog box you posted. But in legacy Quicken Mac, there was also a keyboard command to do the same thing as the current arrow. All that's being requested here is such a keyboard shortcut.
    Right, and for people like myself who don't have the Transfer column visible (I didn't even realize there WAS a transfer column, but it's an unnecessary column for me), we need to a quick way to jump to the other side of a transfer when viewing transfers in the register.

We almost never edit transactions after they've been saved to our register. So we just need to view a transfer, and then quickly jump to the other side of the transfer.

Even right-clicking on a transaction and being able to choose "View Other Side of Transfer" would be good, too. We don't necessarily need a keyboard shortcut to do this — just a way to quickly jump to the other side of the transfer.

This was a standard feature of the old Quicken for 30 years.
  • asymptote
    asymptote Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    In Windows, I can right click a transfer and be taken right to the transfer transaction.  I dont see a way to do this on Mac
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @asymptote

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your idea. This can be accomplished by selecting the arrow icon in the transfer column.

You may need to navigate to Columns and add the transfer column to see this option. Will this work for what you are needing or did you have something else in mind?

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • jacobs
    edited January 2021
    [Deleted -- duplicate information after posts were merged]
  • jacobs
    So to close the loop on the discussions above, there two ways Quicken Mac could make it easier to jump to the other side of a transfer transaction. Since implementing both is likely little more work than implementing just one, hopefully both could be added: 
    1. Add "Jump to other side of Transfer" as an option in the Right-click/Control-click drop-down menu. It would be not visible or grayed out if the transaction is not a transfer. This would provide quick access without the need for the Transfer column to be visible, and would parallel the Quicken Windows user experience.
    2. Add a command-key shortcut for "Jump to other side of Transfer", as existing in the legacy Quicken 2007 for Mac. (Clicking "[" in any transaction would open the other account in a separate window and highlight the transfer transaction.)
    Implementing either of these changes would be a helpful improvement; implementing both would seem to satisfy all past Quicken Mac 2007 and Quicken Windows users, and would improve the usability of Quicken Mac.
  • Greg Ford
    Greg Ford Member ✭✭
    PLEASE ADD JUMP TO TRANSFER IN RIGHT CLICK MENU
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I have absolutely no idea how to vote for the suggestion I want.  The links say something about large ad space.  Anyhow... please add a hot key or perhaps add it to the right click menu a way to find the other side of the transfer -- undo a piece of the horror that Intuit introduced.

Finally figured it out.  Why all the links "Vote here" and then some link that takes you off into space?
  • jacobs
    Finally figured it out.  Why all the links "Vote here" and then some link that takes you off into space?
    @Perry Smith Because the person who made the original post in this thread insists on putting all those links in the footer of their posts. I agree they can be distracting, but it was their post. But now that you know how to vote for Idea posts on this site, it'll be simple in the future.  
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    @Perry Smith Because the person who made the original post in this thread insists on putting all those links in the footer of their posts. I agree they can be distracting, but it was their post. But now that you know how to vote for Idea posts on this site, it'll be simple in the future.  
    Yea.  I think it was later that night it finally hit me that that was probably part of the posters signature and not part of the official Quicken web site.
  • elco
    elco Member

When reviewing an old transfer entry in a register, frequently I want to jump to the other side of teh transfer (in the other account). I used to be able to do this in Quicken for Mac 2007.

The jump feature was a huge time saver. Obviously, I can search for the other side by eye, but that is very tedious in registers dense with transactions. What is nneded is a jump feature. I don't care whether the interface is a keyboard shortcut or a right-click menu.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @elco,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs

@elco I agree with wanting this feature. Meanwhile, if you aren't aware, you can jump to the other side of a transfer with mouse click even though there's no keyboard shortcut. You must make the Transfer column visible. In the Transfer field, you'll see an arrow in a circle; clicking it will jump you to the transaction in the other register.