Option to apply Quicken Updates on Close

Options
Dawn T
Dawn T Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Installing and Updating
:s Hey Quicken! You push a lot of updates. Every time you push an update, I'm trying to get in and record a quick transaction. But no...I have to wait until Quicken takes its time updating.

Here's an idea: On open, prompt the user whether they want to apply the update NOW or on CLOSING the application. My Paint.NET app does this and I <3 <3 <3 it. Zero frustration.
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you set your Windows UAC higher, you can decide if you want the update to happen.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I do have my UAC setting higher which allows me to not be interrupted when I am starting Quicken.  Other access points to that update are through the One _Step Update Summary and Help / Check for updates.  

But to have Quicken prompt for or perform an update upon exit strikes me as a good idea.  @Dawn T -- you should vote up your idea as well.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another reason to update on close is that the information on updating says you should back up and send any pending transactions before updating.

If this is really necessary, Quicken should not update at startup or at the start of a One-Step Update. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hello @Dawn T,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your Idea request.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Dawn T
    Dawn T Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @splasher said:
    > If you set your Windows UAC higher, you can decide if you want the update to happen.

Even so, I want the option to defer the update until I am finished using the application, and have it update after I close it.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Dawn T
    Dawn T Member ✭✭
    Options

I am quite committed to the idea. I guarantee that if you implement it, you will have lots of positive feedback. Not every user of Quicken hangs out in forums. Not every Quicken user will take the time to suggest less frustrating functionality.

Given that Quicken pushes updates quite often (more than most client software), I guarantee that users will welcome the ability to get their work done before allowing you to do yours.

• UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I do think this is a validate idea, but I would have three choices:

1. Update Now
    2. Update on Close
    3. Do not Update

Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Not every Quicken user is familiar with Windows settings like UAC. The real answer is to fix the issue within Quicken as a preference option.

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Phil Burton I agree with you with Quicken making the changes, but that is like the proverbial pulling hen's teeth, the UAC can be done now and maybe Quicken will get their act together and make the necessary changes, but I can almost guarantee that it won't happen soon.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

As the "IT support guy" for my wife (and sometimes my adult kids) I feel pretty confident in saying that none of them have ever dealt with UAC and would want me to make the changes. OK for my wife, but kids live in other cities.

For a while I did some consulting for a company that provides support services, mostly by phone. They had a LOT of customers.

There are a lot of issues posted in a forum about Adobe Lightroom, which can be attributed to only basic knowledge of Windows (or MacOS). These people don't RTFM (look it up).

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lack of RTFM leads to PEBTAC and ID Ten T errors. 😀

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I agree…. I never update when a new update hits. I wait till any bugs get fixed… Right now I just tell it not to update. Add what you want as choices but don't do away with the choice…. "Do Not Update"

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I can't vote to have just 2 choices (Now or at Close doesn't allow you to not install it days later , like we can do now.)…. we need 3 choices…..

I think @UserDavidC has the perfect list of choices….

Edit: Consider making Quicken update now or at close only….Quicken support will have more business if folks like me can't delay updates…. sometimes on severe buggy updates I may wait weeks before installing…. I don't think Quicken Tech Support really wants more work to do….

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.