Vanguard OL-220-A errors - started 2/17/21

Answers

• cowdogman
    cowdogman Member ✭✭
    Kathryn's fix did NOT work for me.
  • lpreinhold
    lpreinhold Member ✭✭
    I tried Kathryn's fix again just now and it still does not work.
  • Matt
    Matt Member ✭✭
    I am still getting this OL220 error and because I deactivated the accounts I cant use OSU after downloading a new FI list. Come on Quicken you need to do better and fix this. It has been going on for 3 days now which is totally unacceptable. #FAIL
  • canoe32
    canoe32 Member ✭✭✭
    I was still getting OL-220-A from Vanguard this morning, but after applying Kathryn's 2/19/21 update instructions it is working for me. I had not deactivated my accounts, and that may be the reason it worked for me but not others.
  • PuebloJim
    PuebloJim Member ✭✭
    I just followed the steps at:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7888911/updated-2-17-21
    It worked, but I had to go back and activate my direct connect again after doing the recommended steps, because I deactivated it yesterday.
  • Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    PuebloJim said:
    I just followed the steps at:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7888911/updated-2-17-21
    It worked, but I had to go back and activate my direct connect again after doing the recommended steps, because I deactivated it yesterday.
    I just did the same thing including exiting Quicken and relaunching between each step. Still no progress. OL-220-A when I try to activate any of my Vanguard accounts.
  • dtjonasson
    dtjonasson Member ✭✭
    The recommended fix did not work for me either.
    In an attempt to fix, I had previously disconnected my direct connect to Vanguard and now am unable to reconnect. That may be a difference in why the fix did not work for me
  • midude33
    midude33 Member ✭✭
    I was having the same issue since I had previously deactivated my Vanguard accounts and was not able to activate them without getting an OL-220-A error.

I followed mikepilo advice above and restored from a previous backup. I am now able to download all Vanguard transactions again without having to go through the steps outlined by Quicken_Kathryn.
  • since1990
    since1990 Member ✭✭
    Not clear what to make of the "recommended fix" as its context doesn't apply to those of use NOT trying to "add an account" but rather having a long-working Vanguard connection that has suddenly started blowing OL-220-A chunks.

Doing Tools / Online / Ctrl-Shift Contact Info / Download FI / Refresh / Close / relaunch / Tools / One Step Upate / blank update / Update now / relaunch / Reset: I get a blank, modal dialog box (attached) with a blank action button that does nothing when clicked. I have to use TaskMan to kill the hung qw.exe.

While hung, qw.exe shows 6-7 mildly active connections to arbitrary sites like googleusercontent.com. Those eventually terminate, with Quicken still hung. Top thread is qw.exe?IsValid@Account giving some visibility into where this bug festival is stuck. Killing that thread closes all visible windows, with a stub qw.exe still running.

This overall pattern keeps recurring. Major financial institution connections universally go sour, and Quicken provides only largely inapplicable and wholly ineffective checklists of measures to take. Wish Quicken had actual competitors.
  • since1990
    since1990 Member ✭✭
    Conversely, the method I see attributed to Quicken_Kathryn DID work:

Tools / Online / Ctrl-Shift Contact Info / select any Vanguard / Financial Institution Branding and Profile / Refresh / Vanguard / Update / Send / password / OK.

No new Vanguard transactions since it died last week, so I can't be sure, but I suspect it's working. For others, I see it's not.
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    After I tried the suggested fix (which didn't work), there seemed to immediately be other issues with all my accounts that were part of OSU. Credit card account updates would hang until I had to shut down and restart Quicken. Banking accounts started showing a CC-501 error upon updating. The message related to that CC-501 error linked to a support page that said I must contact Customer Service. The agent asked me to complete a data validation. Afterwards, the CC-501 error was gone AND I was able to get my Vanguard account re-established for online services AND I was successfully able to complete OSU with both Vanguard accounts (no OL-220-A error).

Long story short, maybe a data file validation? (File > File Operations >Validate & Repair > Validate file) Maybe after the suggested fix? Maybe INSTEAD of the suggested fix? No way to know which did the trick.
  • lpreinhold
    lpreinhold Member ✭✭
    I have tried every possible fix identified in this thread repeatedly, including file validation; refreshing branding and profile; downloading FI list; shutting down and restarting quicken at various points; all to no avail. Quicken support, after helping me try to fix it by reading this thread and trying the same things I had already done, took my log files yesterday and said this was a big problem and everybody there was working on it but had no idea of when it would be fixed. I had deactivated online services at one point as recommended, now I get the OL-220-A error when I try to reactivate online services or I do the online center refresh. I am leery of trying any more haphazard fixes as I think deactivating online services was a mistake and made it worse. To say it is frustrating is the understatement of the year. I wish Quicken would just act like a responsible software development company and properly diagnose the problem, regardless of whose fault it is, and inform the user community how to fix it once and for all instead of using this forum to have poop thrown on the wall and see if any of it sticks.
  • Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Per khg, I did a file validation. No improvement. For good measure, I did a super-validate. Still no progress. In scrolling through this thread, it seems apparent that some things work for some people but nothing works for everyone. That suggests that the problem isn't entirely server-side and may have something to do with each user's file. As an experiment, I initiated a brand new Quicken file and attempted to create a Vanguard account. As I suspected, all of my Vanguard accounts were added without any issues. So, what's wrong with my old file?
  • taffeys
    taffeys Member ✭✭✭
    Gerry Blue said...

"As an experiment, I initiated a brand new Quicken file and attempted to create a Vanguard account. As I suspected, all of my Vanguard accounts were added without any issues. So, what's wrong with my old file?"

This now seems to be a very serious and major problem for both Quicken and Intuit.

Quicken Subscription Deluxe Version R54.16 Build 27.1.54.16
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 21H2 Build 22000.2538

• ldylwyrva
    ldylwyrva Member ✭✭
    Kathryn's fix seems to be working for me.
  • Bill Pa
    Bill Pa Member ✭✭
    Well... after seeing this error for about 3 days, and without trying any of the intermediate fixes at all... I stopped seeing the problems this morning. A transaction I made yesterday seems to have imported just fine.

I won't hazard a guess as to what changed...
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited February 2021
    Something to try if all of your Vanguard accounts are deactivated and you can't reactivate.  Do not try this if any of your Vanguard accounts are activated.

Tools>Online Center, hover over Contact Info, hold Ctrl+F3, click Contact Info.

A new window titled FI Action Required will pop-up.  If Vanguard is shown in the list, Delete it.  Then close/open Quicken and try to re-activate your accounts using Tools>Add Account, LINKING the accounts found to your existing accounts.

If Vanguard is NOT shown in the list, the data file thinks it deactivated ALL Vanguard accounts cleanly.  It should only be in the list if you have an activated Vanguard account or if deactivation of the last remaining Vanguard account did not complete cleanly.  This works in the rare instance of a deactivate process failure.
  • asherfamily1
    asherfamily1 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Latest post by Quicken Sarah fixed the OL-220-A error for me (thanks!), but I still get OL-293-A errors (since I have 2 vanguard logins)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is a really weird problem.  I remember seeing this problem in my Vanguard accounts (both my wife and I have accounts) oh may a couple of months ago or so, but then the problem went away after a couple weeks and I haven't seen it since.  Certainly not for this current wave of problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • JayF
    JayF Member ✭✭
    Updated my live QDF File today without errors and without any further fix action on my part. I had done the recommended fix previously on 02/18/2021 per: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7888911/updated-2-17-21-vanguard-returns-ol-220-error#latest and https://www.quicken.com/support/what-do-if-my-bank-not-listed-quicken-or-if-my-bank-was-recently-added-quicken.

My live QDF file contains three logins to Vanguard and I didn't receive OL-293-A and didn't have to close and reopen my QDF file in between updates. I used One-Step Update for all logins at once, not individually for each transaction journal.

I'm pleased it's now working for me. Thanks to everyone who participated in this forum, including Members, Quicken support staff and their behind the scenes tech staff.
  • Gerry Blue
    Gerry Blue Member ✭✭✭✭
    Something to try if all of your Vanguard accounts are deactivated and you can't reactivate.  Do not try this if any of your Vanguard accounts are activated.

Tools>Online Center, hover over Contact Info, hold Ctrl+F3, click Contact Info.

A new window window titled FI Action Required will pop-up.  If Vanguard is shown in the list, Delete it.  Then close/open Quicken and try to re-activate your accounts using Tools>Add Account, LINKING the accounts found to your existing accounts.

If Vanguard is NOT shown in the list, the data file thinks it deactivated ALL Vanguard accounts cleanly.  It should only be in the list if you have an activated Vanguard account or if deactivation of the last remaining Vanguard account did not complete cleanly.  This works in the rare instance of a deactivate process failure.
    That worked beautifully! Thank you sir!
  • TGSandy
    TGSandy Member
    I have tried every suggestion and still can't get Vanguard to work! Quite frankly, it's inconceivable that Vanguard and Quicken can't resolve this.
  • eeh0615
    eeh0615 Member ✭✭
    The Quicken fix by Kathryn worked for me, took a couple of times before I did it correctly.
  • alohajay
    alohajay Member ✭✭
    Update post from Friday 2/19/21. Did not do anymore troubleshooting or fixes. Today, I was able to reactivate and download all my Vanguard accounts. I'm not holding my breath but it appears someone at Quicken/Vanguard resolved the problem. No longer receiving error codes! :)
  • lpreinhold
    lpreinhold Member ✭✭
    Like alohajay I tried no more fixes but did try reactivating accounts this morning and it worked... then update also worked without any error code :)
  • tnsmith
    tnsmith Member
    I first got OL-220-A on 2/18 for my Vanguard accounts. The error which showed up in the Connection Log was something like "login failed due to incorrect credentials", which did not make sense because I could login directly to Vanguard using the same credentials which were stored in Quicken (I checked). I then tried the fix posted on 2/17 by Quicken Sarah, except for step 10, which said to complete the Add Account procedure. Since Quicken already showed my Vanguard accounts, I assumed I did not need to do this. Quicken still did not update the Vanguard accounts, and it still produced the OL-220-A error each time I tried One Step Update for my Vanguard accounts.

On 2/19, I tried to implement the 2/17 fix by Quicken Sarah again and this time I did perform step 10 to Add Account for one of my Vanguard accounts. This step was unsuccessful, but now Quicken no longer even showed the account I just tried to add - apparently since the Add Account was unsuccessful. The other Vanguard account still gave an OL-220-A error.

Next, I tried One Step Update (several times), and got an OL-220-A error each time for the Vanguard account that was still visible in Quicken. Figuring that I must have broken something in Quicken when I unsuccessfully attempted to run the Add Account procedure, I finally decided to use Restore from Quicken file (backup dated 2/18/2021) to set the status back to what it was before I had run the Add Account procedure. I could only do this because I had saved the date on the backup each time I performed a backup. After this Restore was performed, I tried One Step Update - and Quicken updated both Vanguard accounts! And Quicken has updated my Vanguard accounts after this as well.

I will continue to save the date on each backup that I perform so that I can restore Quicken to an earlier status if I ever have this sort of problem again.
  • bdegnan
    bdegnan Member ✭✭
    If I do update from within online center, it works perfectly every time. Don't even need to do the refresh. If I do update from one step update, it fails 99% of the time. I do not believe this is a Vanguard issue. I believe that one step update has an issue. I managed software development for years and was deeply involved in QA efforts. I feel confident that what I am saying is correct. I hope Quicken is listening
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    bdegnan said:
    If I do update from within online center, it works perfectly every time. Don't even need to do the refresh. If I do update from one step update, it fails 99% of the time. I do not believe this is a Vanguard issue. I believe that one step update has an issue. I managed software development for years and was deeply involved in QA efforts. I feel confident that what I am saying is correct. I hope Quicken is listening
    My data file with two Vanguard logins in now back to the OL-293-A error state for the first download in a Quicken session. 

I tested using Online Center without refreshing Branding/Profile before running OSU after opening Quicken; it errors out with OL-293 for one of the logins just like when using OSU for the first time.  The only way to get both logins to download successfully after opening Quicken is to perform the Branding/Profile refresh.

After using Try Again or Update Transactions, the problem login will successfully download during the same Quicken session.  It will not throw the error again until Quicken is closed and reopened; then running OSU for the first time in the session.
  • taffeys
    taffeys Member ✭✭✭
    This morning I am experiencing the exact same OL-293-A error issue as Marcus1957 with my two Vanguard accounts and OSU.

Quicken Subscription Deluxe Version R54.16 Build 27.1.54.16
    Windows 11 Pro x64 Version 21H2 Build 22000.2538

• DisplacedHoosier
    DisplacedHoosier Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was getting the OL-293-A errors this morning as well.

I deactivated and reactivated my accounts.

Now I am getting OL-362-A errors instead...
This discussion has been closed.