When creating a new data file, add "Social Security Income" to list of default Categories, Q Win US

Options
UKR
UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
When creating a new empty data file, the list of default Categories added to the new file currently does not contain these categories:
  • Social Security Income, self
  • Social Security Income, spouse
There are many Quicken users about to retire or already retired. Having these categories available as a default would benefit them.

In my example above they are subcategories to "Other Income", but they could also be defined as main categories.
Quicken programmers, please consider adding these categories to every new data file as it is  created and add them to the list of categories available under Tools / Category List / Options button / Manage Categories.
Thank you,
UKR

19 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Meh. The way you created the categories is probably different from the way others, such as myself, created them.

I got my very first SS deposit last month (!) and it took me one minute to create the category and associate it with the tax line item. I chose to make SS an “empty” top-level category with self and spouse as subcategories. Who’s to say where in the hierarchy those 2 categories should go? It depends entirely on where you want to see them in reports.

I would prefer not to see product suggestions to “add category X by default” for every common category missing from the default list. There’s a boatload of them, and adding them is trivial.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I voted.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not exactly the warm welcome I had expected, but I'd still like to see this added, either as a default category available in every new, empty file or as a selection available in Tools / Category List / Options button / Manage Categories.
    Thanks for your consideration.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I voted.  These VERY common categories should be included in the defaults. 

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I voted, too. Despite my minor preference for a couple of subcats rather than main cats, this should be available by default.
    The whole default set of cats need an overhaul, IMHO. I wouldn't use the default set as is.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my vote.  I've often thought that this is far too common a category to not be a standard category in the list.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• fda2f6fc
    fda2f6fc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Got my vote, too. Also, wish they would allow us to rename the default investment categories and allow subcategories from them. Example: _div is so limiting. Lumping everything under _div does not allow me to break down investment accounts very well in my reports. I have had to change _div downloads to MiscInc categories that I created manually for each account, in order to make a useful report.