Where are oddball Dow prices coming from?

Rocket J Squirrel
Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Every once in a while, I get a price for the Dow Jones Composite index (COMP) which is orders of magnitude wrong. Why is this happening?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    It looks like you are sometimes seeing the prices for Compass Inc Class A, which also has the ticker COMP. 

We have had trouble before when the ticker for an index collides with a company ticker. Try using INDEX:DJA instead, which appears to be Quicken's preferred symbol for that index.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where you got today’s price since mine looks okay (have you updated since then?)  As for 5/31/21 I got the same and that was a holiday.  I see something similar for 4/2/21 which I believe was Good Friday, another day the stock market was closed.  Not sure why they put in those odd prices on holidays.  

I’d be curious to see what you end up with when the market closes today.   
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I just updated again and COMP now has a correct-looking price.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest cost bidder for providing quotes.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried adding a circle of salt around your computer, followed up by a sprinkling of holy water?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    It looks like you are sometimes seeing the prices for Compass Inc Class A, which also has the ticker COMP. 

We have had trouble before when the ticker for an index collides with a company ticker. Try using INDEX:DJA instead, which appears to be Quicken's preferred symbol for that index.
  • Rocket J Squirrel

That's interesting. When I open a new file, Quicken provides COMP as the symbol for the Dow Composite as shown below. But changing it to INDEX:DJA seems to work also. Thanks for the tip.

• Jim_Harman
    I would call that a bug, the built-in symbol for new files should be INDEX:DJA
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I would call that a bug, the built-in symbol for new files should be INDEX:DJA
    Disregard, I was looking at the wrong thing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/