Allow truncation of long signatures

I would like the option to truncate user signatures longer than 3 lines.

Looking at you, @smayer97 & @thecreator . 😁😁😁

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

8 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we really need is a change to how Signature lines are formatted.
    A smaller font size and maybe a different font type should be used.
    The lines should be as compact together as possible, with little blank space between lines.
    And, yes, there should be a limit on the total number of lines.
    "Keep it short and sweet."
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    The lines should be as compact together as possible, with little blank space between lines.
    And, yes, there should be a limit on the total number of lines.
    "Keep it short and sweet."

Since the forum last mangled the signatures, I've been keeping them very short and sweet:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    UKR said:
    As we know from Sarah, Quicken doesn't have control over the style of the site. (Why else would hyperlinks still be not underlined without a user doing it themselves.) Changing the font, size, spacing, or maximum lines would require a change by Vanilla, and we know how quickly and smoothly those go. ;)

Thus it would be great if the few SUs who have long signatures would simplify them to make them one or two lines, and all would be well with (this part of) the world.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Sherlock said:

Since the forum last mangled the signatures, ...
    Yes, they have mangled it many times.... tired of trying to keep up. Not important enough to keep coming up with work-arounds.

Clearly Vanilla does not care and has poor quality control.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you read the messages on Your Smart Phone, the forum messages, contains no Signatures. Only when reading the messages in your computer's browser do you see the signatures.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• jacobs
    edited August 2021
    smayer97 said:
    Sherlock said:

Yes, they have mangled it many times.... tired of trying to keep up. Not important enough to keep coming up with work-arounds.

@smaeyer97 Yes, we can cite and agree on many shortcoming about Vanilla. In this case, though, the issue is easily controllable by users. The question to you is simply whether you would shorten your signature -- currently 9 lines tall -- for the benefit of other users, and especially your fellow SUs who spend a lot of time on the forum. 

When you read the messages on Your Smart Phone, the forum messages, contains no Signatures. Only when reading the messages in your computer's browser do you see the signatures.
    Well, I'd say two things about that. (1) That's a flaw in Vanilla's forum design. If signatures are deemed to convey useful information, then they shouldn't be omitted when viewing on a phone. (2) While I do sometime check messages on a phone, I certainly don't do most of my forum activity on a phone; 98% of my time on the forum is on a computer. And the long signatures are annoying to wade through in the thread, especially when the same one appears multiple times in a thread. The fact that they are not visible on a phone is irrelevant for me, and I suspect most of us.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've discovered that I can condense the number of lines in my signature by using CTRL-Enter, instead of  just enter, at the end of each line.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is how you do this if you care enough. On another of my hangouts, troublefreepool.com, members are encouraged to list their swimming pool equipment in their signatures to make it easier to answer their questions. Those sigs can become long. So they implemented a toggle to show or not show the full sigs. See below. Initially the viewer sees a 2-line version. Clicking reveals the full sig.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jacobs
    @Rocket J Squirrel  Again, the issue is that such an approach would require Vanilla to embrace it and decide to code it. That's (a) unlikely and (b) certainly a long time in the future, if they did it.

All that's needed here is for the few people who have long signatures to remove the extra information and reduce their signature to 1-3 lines. It's really a simple problem to solve if people would do so voluntarily.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    Sherlock said:

@smaeyer97 Yes, we can cite and agree on many shortcoming about Vanilla. ...

you are waxing wide... I was not.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    NotACPA said:
    I've discovered that I can condense the number of lines in my signature by using CTRL-Enter, instead of  just enter, at the end of each line.
    Yes, on Mac it is SHIFT-ENTER...I use this all the time. There was a time when this was not necessary. Seems to only be an issue with Firefox and not Chrome (last I checked).

I'm tired of trying to compensate for Vanilla's constant mucking about with the editor and using unconventional and inconsistent formatting... (signature different than editor etc)...   Find a solution that works....until it doesn't.... because Vanilla does not pay attention to detail or does not seem to care enough. (Even CTRL-ENTER vs SHIFT-ENTER depending on platform)

Tried some more tweaking. Not sure how much it helps...

Note: I have to scroll through all this too. I just don't let it get to me. There are bigger issues than this, including the still hard to read threads with such bad distinction between areas...

Anyway, much ado about nothing IMO.

• jacobs
    smayer97 said

you are waxing wide... I was not.
    Sorry, I don't know what that means.

I see you shortened your signature from 9 lines to 6. Thank you. Would you consider dropping the lines about the Quicken expiration policy (a few stray votes over time isn't going to be a determining factor in whether or not they ever change that policy)? Without those two lines and blank line, your sig would be down to 3 lines. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Now that you mention it, not sure when but that vote count crossed over 300 not long ago placing it in about the top 5 ideas voted on. Seems like more than just a few stray votes to me...

• jacobs
    A few stray votes in recent times. Most of those votes were accumulated shortly after the expiration process became clear years ago. And before Quicken reviewed it and said they were not going to change it.

In any case, back to the point of this thread, (and this will be my last time saying it): would you be kind enough to reduce the size of your signature to aid in readability of threads in which you post?
  • MHSwizzleStick
    MHSwizzleStick Member ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I didn't even know people had signatures. I looked at my Signature settings and found a check next to "Hide signatures always".
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Yup... if they bother anyone SO MUCH....

Forum Signature Settings

[√] Hide signatures always

• jacobs
    edited August 2021
    @smayer97 I like to see signatures because they can provide useful information/context about the poster -- in the case of this forum, typically what platform or version of Quicken they use and how long they've been a Quicken user. I don't feel it should be necessary to turn them off, and never see signatures from anyone, in order to avoid being annoyed by a few which are much longer with text not relevant to that user's background.

You were asked by fellow SUs if you'd consider shortening your signature. Apparently the answer is no. End of story.