Edit additions needed -Void Transaction (46 Legacy Votes)

Robert B
Robert B Member ✭✭✭

I would hope Quicken Mac can soon have some editing abilities we had in QM2007.  Namely the functions of 'Move', 'Void', 'Add transaction to iCal'.  

Duplicate Transaction is a great addition!

(Edited-Removed "Move" option as this is available)

29 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

This request has been forwarded to development for further review. At this time it has not been accepted or added to the development roadmap. QMAC-12415

Comments

• DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I agree. I just tried to move a transaction that I mistakenly put in the wrong account...and could not.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I agree. I just tried to move a transaction that I mistakenly put in the wrong account...and could not.

The way to move a transaction in QM2017 is to click and drag it from one register to another. Note that you cannot move transactions in the Investment registers, for hopefully obvious reasons.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    The link to Mac OS Calendar has been requested here: You can add your VOTE to Sync Bill Reminders to Mac OS Calendar.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Thanks!  So used to I with Windows that I never even thought to try!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2020

I am afraid I do not see the obvious reason you would not click and drag entries made in the wrong account to the correct account.  In fact when I discussed a problem I was having with QM2016 with Tech Support they felt that drag and drop would be the best fix - but it was unavailable.
  • ThrowerGB
    ThrowerGB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will we get the VOID function back in Quicken for Mac?.

It existed in QM2015 and now is gone.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined linkthen follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and FeaturesYou may want to click on the underlined linkthen follow the instructions to add your vote to other related IDEAS.

In the meantime, since this is a function that should not often be needed, doing this manually is not onerous. This FAQ may help: (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
        Unknown Member
        edited July 2018
        This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I find Quicken for the Mac Primitive in several areas, Please fix!.

I am a long time Quicken user on a PC and love the program.  After calling Quicken and being told that Quicken Deluxe for the Mac was now virtually identical to the PC version, I decided to purchase a Mac because of other inherent PC issues.  Surprise!, Quicken for the Mac in a few areas is primitive compared to the PC version (particularly in the reports section) and missing several important features like “VOID” a transaction.  I love the way the Mac runs so sure hope the people at Quicken are listening and fix the program because as it is now, you cannot make professional looking reports tailored to specific needs (like on the PC) and that is simply unacceptable.

Walt
      • jacobs
        jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
        edited October 2023

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I find Quicken for the Mac Primitive in several areas, Please fix!.

I am a long time Quicken user on a PC and love the program.  After calling Quicken and being told that Quicken Deluxe for the Mac was now virtually identical to the PC version, I decided to purchase a Mac because of other inherent PC issues.  Surprise!, Quicken for the Mac in a few areas is primitive compared to the PC version (particularly in the reports section) and missing several important features like “VOID” a transaction.  I love the way the Mac runs so sure hope the people at Quicken are listening and fix the program because as it is now, you cannot make professional looking reports tailored to specific needs (like on the PC) and that is simply unacceptable.

Walt

Well, first, the support rep who told you the Mac version was "virtually identical" to the Window version should be flogged with a wet noodle. Sorry... adjusting for political correctness... should be given some additional training. The reality is that the Mac version has been making progress, but it still has some major omissions versus the Windows version. Some of these omissions can be worked around if you learn how; some of the omissions are problematic.

Voiding a transaction is one of those that's pretty easy to work around — annoying perhaps, but not fatal. Simply added "VOID" to the Memo field (and optionally, the original transaction amount), and set the Amount to zero. Yes, that's two steps versus one command, but it gets you there. And it's not something most users need to use very often.

As for reports, yes, that's one of the areas that's still not up to snuff on the Mac. If you play around with the "New Report" reports, you can generate a significant number of reports most people would want, but not everything. The good news is that this is a major areas of focus for the Mac development team according to the product manager. Progress is slow, but progress is being made, and the developers do understand that better reports is at or near the top of the list of requests from Quicken Mac users.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
      • DHClem
        DHClem Member ✭✭✭
        edited August 2020

Walt

Actually, after viewing the *comparison chart* on Quicken's site--and then following up with a Quicken representative immediately thereafter--I was told *exactly* that. So, it's probably not just one rep.  
      • Golf Is Fun
        Golf Is Fun Member ✭✭
        Please, please, please add a void transaction button or shortcut. I miss the options of Q2007.
      • jacobs
        Please, please, please add a void transaction button or shortcut. I miss the options of Q2007.
        @Golf Is Fun  I'm not being argumentative, but I'm curious how many transactions you void in a year? For most people, it's a handful at best. And it takes only a few seconds to manually mark a transaction as void.

You can "void" to the Payee name, but in modern Quicken Mac, this creates a new Payee separate from your original Payee. That's why I prefer to enter VOID in the Memo field, so this voided transaction will be included if I do a report by Payee. I also like to record the original amount of the transaction in the memo field. (In Quicken 2007, once you voided a transaction, you had no record of how much the original transaction was.) And then you change the Amount to zero. So I feel I have better control over the transaction, and it takes 20 seconds the few times a year I need to do it.

I'd have no objection if they added a Void command; it just ranks way, way, way down the list of priorities I'd like to see them address in Quicken Mac (cough, QuickMath, cough ;) ).
      • earshot
        earshot Member ✭✭
        Why did you take it away in the first place?!?
      • jacobs
        @earshot  Nothing was taken away. Quicken Mac reached an end with the Quicken 2007 versions. It couldn't be patched and modernized to adapt to changes in the Mac operating system. Today's Quicken Mac is a complete restart, programmed from the ground up, which came to market in late 2014. The developers are constantly adding features which exist in Quicken Windows or existed in Quicken 2007, but there's a long list of requests from users -- far more than the developers can address for years to come -- so they prioritize which features they work on based on greatest perceived need/impact. Voting on ideas like this help influence the priority level of competing feature requests.
      • hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just spent about an hour chatting with support, including screen sharing about this.

For us luddites who actually print checks at home and don't do banking online, it would be great to restore the 2007 version ability to void a check, rather than just deleting it. Why is this only available for online payments? And why is this only available in the Windows version?

Any chance to forward this to the developers?

Hannah

• jacobs

Although you're correct that there is no specific "Void Check" feature, it's actually quite easy to mark your checks as voided.

In Quicken 2007, the Void feature put "VOID" in front of the Payee name. But we wouldn't want to do that in current Quicken Mac because it would create a new, separate Payee in the database. And Quicken 2007 also lost the original amount of the check when you voided it.

To void a check now, I go to the Memo field and add or replace the Memo with "VOID", the original amount of the check, and perhaps a reason for the void (e.g. "check lost in the mail" or "check returned" or whatever). Then change the Amount to zero. Done. 😀 This way, if you search for the Payee, you'll still see this voided check among the transactions, and the Memo text will give you the details of what happened should you need it.

• RalphC
        RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭

What happens when you right click on the transaction in the register? Don't you get the option to "Void transaction(s)"?

• Jon
        Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@RalphC Not on a Mac, no.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
        Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

This isn't the first time this has been requested but each time it is pointed out that given how easy it is for people to do this by hand and hopefully how rare it is that it is needed, a one click void isn't really needed and there are other features that would be better for the developers to work on.

But I will also point out a major flaw in Quicken Windows (and most likely the old Quicken Mac's) implementation of this.

Quicken Windows doesn't have the problem with the payees since its database doesn't have them linked together but take a look at the payment field (and memo). It zeros the amount and puts nothing in the memo. So, if you use this function, you will lose what the original check amount was.

Signature:
        This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
      • jacobs

In the Quicken Mac database, because every Payee name is a unique entry in the database — which makes it easy to right click on a Payee name and get a report of all transactions for the Payee — it would be problematic to prepend "VOID" in front of the Payee name, which would create a new and separate Payee.

When modern Quicken Mac imported old Quicken 2007 databases, it made a clever change. Any transactions where the Payee name began with "VOID" had that prefix stripped from the Payee name, and "VOID: " prepended in the Memo field.

So I wouldn't be opposed to having the developers add a new Void Transaction feature in which Quicken Mac would (a) not change the Payee name, but instead (b) add "VOID: " and the transaction amount to the Memo field, and (c) set the Amount to zero. Then you could optionally add an explanation/note to the Memo field if you wanted.

I was only noting that without such a feature, or until one exists, you can make those changes manually in just a few seconds. Since most users don't void transactions terribly often (I think my average over 3 decades of Quicken use is under one per year!), it's not a big deal to do manually.

• Quicken Anja
        Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @hbanks,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
        Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

@jacobs Thanks for the feedback. After stewing for a while, I recreated the check with a zero amount, and put a check in the cleared column. Will be easy to do in the future.

Change is always hard. :)

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

@Ralph C Sadly, that doesn't work in the Mac version.

Change is always hard to adjust to.

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

@Quicken Anja Thanks. For what it's worth.

In line with what @jacobs suggested, I'd previously recreated the check number with the same payee but with a zero amount. Noted it as cleared. Should take care of it in reconciliation. Fingers crossed.

• Chris_QPW
        Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully if they do implement this feature they will do it right, not like was done in the past on both Quicken Mac and Windows. The last thing you want is to lose the original amount of the check.

Signature:
        This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
      • jacobs

@hbanks said: Change is always hard. :)

Amen!

I came to the current Quicken Mac not from the Windows version but from the legacy Mac version (2007) which was retired due to incompatibility with changes in the Mac operating system. I, and many other former Quicken Mac 2007 users, initially found elements in the new program hard to adapt to — sometimes because they lacked functionality, but often just because they were different than what were used to over many prior years of use. (One example: I wanted my two-line register back when I first used the new Quicken Mac; after allowing myself to accept the user interface for awhile, I came to really like the single-line register design.)

It's hard to let go of "this is the way I've always done it" to be open to a different way of doing things! It takes a while to retrain hand-eye-brain muscle memory built up over many years. And to be sure, there are still features missing or lacking in Quicken Mac compared to the legacy Mac version or the Windows version — but there's also a lot to like, and the Quicken Mac development team has been making slow but steady process in adding functionality to the program.

Best of luck adapting to Quicken Mac. Hopefully your brain will allow you to adapt to the changes! 🤣

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

Thanks. For the most part, I've adapted to the changes. When something I'd considered minor becomes a big deal, I squack.

Now for a bigger oopsie. After fooling around with support, my checking account which was set to this year, changed to all dates. When I put it back to this year, I found an almost $40,000 discrepancy. Yikes!

Should I just make a dummy transaction for the amount, dated 1/1/2023 and be done with it? Or what else is there to do?

Just when you thought everything was good, something happens. Aargh.

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

@jacobs Sending again, because I neglected to tag you:

Thanks. For the most part, I've adapted to the changes. When something I'd considered minor becomes a big deal, I squack.

Now for a bigger oopsie. After fooling around with support, my checking account which was set to this year, changed to all dates. When I put it back to this year, I found an almost $40,000 discrepancy. Yikes!

Should I just make a dummy transaction for the amount, dated 1/1/2023 and be done with it? Or what else is there to do?

Just when you thought everything was good, something happens. Aargh.

• hbanks
        hbanks Member ✭✭✭

@jacobs I'd be happy to get a back up from time machine. But what file should I look for: the name of the file, or something else?

Thanks as always for your considered opinion.

Hannah