Global expand/collapse of Category subcategories (Q Mac)

Will Fiveash
Will Fiveash Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
I would like to see support for globally expanding or collapsing all the subcategories in the Categories window.
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This is such a straightforward request that I can't find much to add to explain why it would be useful. The Categories window can be quite a slog to scroll through looking for something or merging categories; it would be much easier at times to be able to Collapse All and expand only what you need.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Surely there must be more to say to explain how this is beneficial...

Quicken is looking for more input to "comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial" because I guess it is not very evident.

And surely something so small needs a lot of votes to be considered. Never mind that many ideas have been implemented with VERY FEW votes... just a comment directly to Marcus sometimes is enough to get action.

But it seems the ONLY criteria being used for forum IDEA threads is vote counts, even though there may be merit in spite of that. Never mind the consideration that the big issues are the ones that will get the most attention at the moment but eventually once those are out of the way these smaller ones would still need attention. but if they are relegated to the ARCHIVE pile, they may not see the light of day again and will lose any info garnered up to that point.

Seems very short-sighted.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    But it seems the ONLY criteria being used for forum IDEA threads is vote counts, even though there may be merit in spite of that. Never mind the consideration that the big issues are the ones that will get the most attention at the moment but eventually once those are out of the way these smaller ones would still need attention. but if they are relegated to the ARCHIVE pile, they may not see the light of day again and will lose any info garnered up to that point. Seems very short-sighted.

Actually, that's not correct. If you go back and look at the post by the moderator above, this one is "gauging current interest" and is NOT saying it will be archived if it doesn't get more traction. These are to stir the pot and see if more interest is generated when idea are pulled into the sunlight. There is different text they use for threads -- usually ones with very few votes -- which they say will be archived within a week without more feedback. If this thread doesn't get more votes and comments, it will not be archived; it will just continue to sit in the large pool of ideas for potential future consideration.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct about this thread.... I just went a little broader in my response because I have seen so many go that way.

• Leslie Jones
    Leslie Jones Member ✭✭✭
    I would highly support the universal MAC shortcut of Shift-Option to expand or collapse ALL categories in a list like a report. It takes so much time now to close each one separately. I know there is something in view but I would prefer using a key command. Faster. Also a search function in a report would be helpful so as not to have to scroll through the whole payee or category list.
  • jacobs
    edited February 2022
    I would highly support the universal MAC shortcut of Shift-Option to expand or collapse ALL categories in a list like a report. It takes so much time now to close each one separately. I know there is something in view but I would prefer using a key command. Faster.
    While I'm all for key commands wherever possible, I'd note that Expand All and Collapse All in reports is merely a single click, so not terribly cumbersome or slow.

Also a search function in a report would be helpful so as not to have to scroll through the whole payee or category list.
    Agree. For now, you can print to a PDF and do a Find in the PDF to find what you're looking for. 

That said, this Idea post is about the Categories window, not reports. Unlike reports, there is no Collapse All/Expand All function in the Categories window. Anyone who would like to see Collapse/Expand added to the Categories window, please add you vote for this idea. (Scroll to the top of this thread, and in the yellow box under the first post, click the little black arrow to increment the counter.)
  • rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    I use Quicken for Windows and would like to see support for globally expanding or collapsing all the subcategories in the Categories window.
  • kadauber
    kadauber Member
    I would like to see "expand all" and "collapse all" options on as many tree views as possible! I would definitely like to see it in the Categories view.

I would also like to see it in both the view and edit Budget views. When I'm going over my budget, I want to first see an overview of my categories, then filter down to the categories where I'm over budget, then finally look at the subcategories and transactions to find out why I'm over budget. For me, I need to collapse all the categories in order to figure out which "view transactions" popup bubble I want to click on.
  • rich
    rich Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with kadauber:
    I would like to see "expand all" and "collapse all" options on as many tree views as possible! I would definitely like to see it in the Categories view.

I would also like to see it in both the view and edit Budget views. When I'm going over my budget, I want to first see an overview of my categories, then filter down to the categories where I'm over budget, then finally look at the subcategories and transactions to find out why I'm over budget. For me, I need to collapse all the categories in order to figure out which "view transactions" popup bubble I want to click on.
  • sqrmunky
    sqrmunky Member
    I migrated from Windows about a year ago and one of my biggest frustrations with Quicken for Mac is having to collapse the rows every time I open Categories and Reports. I realize I can search for the items I want, but sometimes I just want to view all the items in a particular category and it is a cluster when all of my 281 categories are fully expanded. I then spend the time (which I understand isn't all that much, but does add up with the number of times I end up doing it) to manually close them all so I can open the one category that I want.

And if this gets implemented, having it save your last view would be much more helpful than just a expand/collapse toggle. That way if I'm in my Report and I have everything collapsed, please have it stay that way the next time I open the Report or the Categories window. Reports will save the top-level categories but all the subcategories need to be collapsed every time I open it and Categories doesn't remember anything.

On Windows I was able to have my Report top level categories showing when it was opened then the sub-categories were all nice and neatly collapsed underneath. Would be amazing if that was possible on Mac.
  • This is a basic function. I have 305 categories. Having to go through and expand/collapse them all in order to properly digest a report is cumbersome and inefficient. This really isn't something we should have to request. The Windows version has always had this. I see no reason for Mac users to suffer without it.
  • jacobs
    @Sad Mac Convert This Idea post is for creating an Expand/Collapse button for Categories in the Window > Categories screen. Since most people don't spend a huge amount of time repeatedly modifying their categories, this probably hasn't been seen as a high-level priority.

But for Reports, this functionality already exists! Open any report, and click on the View icon in the report menu. There, you will find the Collapse All & Expand All options. 

@sqrmunky Even better, saving a report saves the current state of which categories are collapsed/expanded. I just created a Category Summary report and clicked Collapse All so it showed only two lines, Income and Expenses. I then clicked the triangle to the left of Expenses, to open all the top-level expense categories. I then clicked on the triangle next to a couple expense categories to reveal the sub-categories. I then clicked Save. When I close this report and later re-open it, it opens in the exact state I left it. Isn't this what you were seeking?

• Ds007
    Ds007 Member

I am new to quicken. I like the categories, but I think it would be even more valuable if you could toggle between the account view and the category view. Was a little surprised this feature wasn’t there At year end before handing things off to the accountant, I like to double check all transactions in each category to check if anything was inadvertently mis-categorised. Often happens with similar sounding categories.

• jacobs

I'm not sure what you mean by "toggle between the account view and the category view".

But you then say you like to check all transactions in each category, and there are several ways to do this. You can do a Transaction report, which lists every transaction, sorted and subtotaled by category. Or you can do a Summary report, which lists just the category totals, but you can click on any category amount and it will open a drill-down report showing all the transactions comprising that category total. So this lets you flip between category totals and transaction detail.