Add Ability to Hyperlink to Evernote for Notes and Attachments (9 Legacy Votes)

I use Evernote to store all documents in my world.  I would love to have the ability to add a link to a stored Evernote note for transactions and account attachments.  I realize that you can paste a link in the notes column, but it is not understood as a link, and therefore requires additional steps to go to document.  I have not discovered a work-around for account attachments.  I also use FileThis as a service to deposit my account statements into Evernote, which I find is a huge time-saver, so I am committed to continue to use Evernote as a primary document repository.
10 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Good idea. Presumably you could use this to link to other web pages as well, not just Evernote.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited June 2018
    But, Quicken already has a built in attachment feature for transactions.

So, why would they implement a hyperlink to Evernote or Paperless or ANY outside document management?

I understand your request.  I just think that Quicken already covers that within it's own software by allowing you to attach pdfs WITHOUT using an outside app. 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Good idea.  Any method that keeps the attachments outside of Quicken is a good idea.  Quicken now encrypts the attachments, so you can not get them out of the Quicken data file in a usable form by any means other than one at a time using the Quicken program itself.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Quicken's document storage leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion. As @splasher said, quicken encrypts and ALSO marks attachments as archived so if you do export they are limited in their usefulness. Many sync programs will not recognize them. Ultimately, if you want more robust filing, tagging and organizational tools of attachments, a filing system outside quicken is probably your best bet. 
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I just added my vote. I have never heard of Evernote, but the principle is good.
    I would like to get all my attachments out of the QDF file and into a normal Windows folder arrangement. The ability to add a hyperlink field to every Quicken transaction solves this problem. The link would most likely be a file: URL pointing to any type file on my local disk or network.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS: it would be fine with me to use the Memo field for this. Quicken would have to recognize URLs, but that's a solved problem.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use PaprPort, but I concur with the general idea.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I use to keep my statements in Quicken, but Quicken's system is so poor that I finally drop using it and stripped out all the attachments from my data file.

ANYTHING would be better than Quicken's system where they are encrypted without asking the user so the only way to recover/view/delete them is one at a time through Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • solostorm
    solostorm Member ✭✭✭✭
    I download and store the statements for recurring items such as bank account statements, credit card statements, utility bill statements, investment account statements, etc.  I have a file tree on my hard drive where I store all of these for my records.  Doing this work takes considerable time.

Quicken could live up to its name by automatically downloading and storing these .pdf files for us.  

I would not want to store these documents within the Quicken file, but rather have Quicken download them and store them in a file outside of Quicken itself - so I can then migrate the .pdf's to the proper location in the file tree.
  • Marshalltx
    Marshalltx Member ✭✭
    There has got to be a best practices way of managing important receipts and statements. I would think Quicken would be the expert to figure that out for us given the complexity of storage, file management, printing etc. This is not an absurd request, just looking for Quicken to give us some quick and easy solutions.
  • rschober
    rschober Member
    I Agree with this upgrade. I use Evernote to store images of invoices as well as documents about a project that I’m working on at my home. It is a multi step process to scan then attach these documents to Quicken as well as take the same document and then copy it to Evernote for retrieval later.

It’s not a security issues since I’m not giving access to financials just an image or file.
  • meredith
    meredith Member

I would love to see this upgrade. I too use Evernote to store many things. I have an end-of-year process list that is in Evernote and it would be great if I could link directly to reports in quicken.

• Doug Giannotti
    Doug Giannotti Windows Beta Beta

Any movement here on the hyperlink feature. I've been using the attachment functionality for years, My QDF file is now over 4GB. Of which 3.5 GB is attachments. I want to continue using this functionality, however I don't want to put myself into a situation where down the road I run into performance issues.

By leveraging a file based hyperlink, once can have the best of both worlds. Store file outside of quicken, but have a link to it that can be used while in quicken