ZZZ-paypal OLD ??

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
Did a One Step Update tonight and noticed this for my Paypal account for the first time!

What is that and should something be done? I don't recall either Quicken or Paypal noting this before.

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though I apologize for any trouble experienced.

PayPal is being transitioned to a new EWC+ connection method. For more information and instructions on how to transition smoothly, we invite you to please take a moment to review and follow the guidance found in this support article.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi All,
    Sorry you've been having issues with this transition--I think there's a few things going on here: 

First, @Bob., I think what you encountered was bad timing--when you first posted, we were in the process (which takes 3-5 hours) of transitioning the old Paypal BIDs to their new "ZZZ" state.  This prevents new users from adding that as an option when they create new Paypal accounts.

We will not "turn on" the cutover to the new Paypal instances until tomorrow, which should prompt users to go through the process in the support article when they perform an OSU.  In other words, if you see a ZZZ today, you shouldn't need to take any action; you will be prompted when the cutover is available.  This also explains why the process isn't quite working as intended, as we're still testing in the backend, and haven't exposed the full cutover process to users yet (which requires some coordination with our service providers and Paypal).

If you go in before the cutover and de/reactivate the accounts, and clear out the old Paypal instance, you will be able to add the new Paypal instance, but there's no need to do this--just wait it out, and follow the prompt steps when things are set up tomorrow :smile:

Hope this helps--

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Please be advised that we are seeing some instability with our Online Services tokens. As a result, users may have issues downloading transactions as well as setting up/completing the new PayPal connection, though these issues will be temporary. Our teams are working on resolving this. However, we do not have an ETA at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Hi All,
    Thanks for reporting these issues--as you can see, we resolved the issue with no prompt to transition, but it appears there are some lingering issues with the data being sent, and the ability to link your "new" accounts to the existing ones.

Our dev team is looking into this ASAP, and would like to take a look at as many log files as possible to troubleshoot--if possible, please go to Help > Report a problem in Quicken and send your log files to us, especially your sync logs.  Please include "PayPal" in the subject of your submission so the team can gather them up quickly.

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    It gets crazier. Logged into Paypal on my iPhone and they wanted a change in password. OK. Then went to quicken to change it here and when I tried it was grayed out. So thought I would create a new account for PayPal in Quicken.

When I do, I get this:

I click Sign In and a browser opens, I login to Paypal and then get a blank page with a url ending in "error" and go no further. So now old Paypal broken and new cannot be created.

Need some help folks.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Found this:

I have never seen the screen pictured there. Nor do I get an error. Just a blank browser page.

• Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Same issue. I deactivated hoping it would point me to a new sign on method, but alas no.
  • Chris Ingoldsby
    Chris Ingoldsby Member ✭✭✭
    Okay, I figured it out for me. First Deactivate, then after that is done, go to Edit Account Details and blank out the ZZZ-PayPal-old, as well as account number. Once that is done, go to set up download, select PayPal as your institution. It will then redirect you via browser to a PayPal site that you have to logon and Agree to allowing the service to work with Quicken. Then redirects you back to Quicken and completes. Whole process took about 3-4 minutes.
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    What a mess. So I followed the instructions from Chris Ingoldsby. Which worked. EXCEPT I now have two paypal accounts; the original which has my transactions going back years but will no longer download transactions; and the new one which gives me transactions going back only 88 days - Feb 3, in case you are curious. And even if I decide to "accept" all of these transactions, I wont have a full year and I will spend the next several hours categorizing hundreds of transactions. Anyone have any ideas? Or am I completely screwed?
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Think I am on the verge of resolving...I ended up using transaction: copy/paste rather than transaction: move. I could not get the latter to work.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    The same nightmare that Schwab customers went through a while back.....  Apparently paypal has moved to EWC+

We saw something with paypal like a month ago there is another thread here, that was like "Paypal - Depreciated" or something.  We asked what was going on and got no straight answer.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭✭
    dondgc said:
    What a mess. So I followed the instructions from Chris Ingoldsby. Which worked. EXCEPT I now have two paypal accounts; the original which has my transactions going back years but will no longer download transactions; and the new one which gives me transactions going back only 88 days - Feb 3, in case you are curious. And even if I decide to "accept" all of these transactions, I wont have a full year and I will spend the next several hours categorizing hundreds of transactions. Anyone have any ideas? Or am I completely screwed?

The part you probably missed is after going through the paypal login and authorization, Quicken defaults to add it as a new account but you can change that to "Link to Existing Account".  Just did it and it worked fine for me.

I only have one recent transaction which it re-downloaded and the payee came through as "Other".  Hopefully they get that cleared up.

Nice to not have to get the 2FA popup every time I download now (hopefully) as I have that enabled on my PP account.
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    > @Drinkingbird said:
    > The part you probably missed is after going through the paypal login and authorization, Quicken defaults to add it as a new account but you can change that to "Link to Existing Account".  Just did it and it worked fine for me.
    >
    > I only have one recent transaction which it re-downloaded and the payee came through as "Other".  Hopefully they get that cleared up.
    >
    > Nice to not have to get the 2FA popup every time I download now (hopefully) as I have that enabled on my PP account.

Thanks for that - I did not resolve my issues last night so I will try your advice this morning!
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though I apologize for any trouble experienced.

PayPal is being transitioned to a new EWC+ connection method. For more information and instructions on how to transition smoothly, we invite you to please take a moment to review and follow the guidance found in this support article.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Anja. I shall look at the article. BUT, I get to the point I posted about of allowing Quicken to use PayPal and then a blank browser. Cleared the caches. No popup blocker, not cookie management. Just blank and I cannot go forward.

Will post if or if not helped by your link.

~Bob
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    @-Quicken Anja  Not working for me. Did a OSU and then an OSU for just Paypal and no messages or dialogs. Still is updating the zz-paypal old.

How can I force the changes? Exact steps please as it is not happening automatically as your article says.

Only thing unique is that when checking paypal on my phone after the first time I saw ZZ, it said there were add things perhaps in ,my account and change my password. So I did.

Lost with how to fix this now.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I also tried to create a new PayPal account as shown above and got to a blank screen.

Shall await more advice.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tried new again. Got to sign in in a browser then blank page and this in Quicken:

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trying a different browser get an actual error:

<error>
    <code>AuthenticationFailed</code>
    <type>INPUT</type>
    </error>
    </Errors>

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Hello All,

I hope this helps!
    I am not seeing the reauthorization window described in the support article when running OSU. PayPal just runs normally except as the ZZZ version of the FI.
  • Quicken Anja
    @Bob. Thanks for following up.

If you click "Sign In" on the page you provided a screenshot of, it should open a browser window to this link here prompting you to sign in on PayPal's website. Once you've signed in there and go back to Quicken, the screen in Quicken should change prompting you to add (or link) the accounts.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    See my posts above Anja.
    I get to that screen, then blank. Then at Quicken reports it failed.

But that is from trying to create a new PayPal account. I do not get that login screen from OSU at all.

So just clicking your link, Quicken closed:

Failed.
    <Errors>
    <error>
    <code>AuthenticationFailed</code>
    <type>INPUT</type>
    </error>
    </Errors>

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Would resetting the account help or hurt?

• Quicken Anja
    edited May 2022
    @Bob. Thank you for the additional information again.

If you don't mind, could you please provide a screenshot of which PayPal instance in the financial institution list you are selecting?

-Quicken Anja

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am assuming you mean when trying to create a new account? I first need to know if that is the proper thing to do or not and may have contributed to problems though I doubt it. If you mean something different, please clarify.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Wondering if password change was an issue. Could not find a way to change the password in Quicken, but did at PayPal and it works to login to Paypal in browser or IOS app.
  • markus1957
    Manually deactivating and reactivating worked but not before Quicken crashed (after typing in PayPal in the FI search box) on the first attempt to reactivate. After reporting the crash in the pop-up window and reopening Quicken, the Tools>Add Account process spawned my actual EDGE browser and took me thru the token acquisition step. I then successfully reactivated PayPal except that my Opening Balance was changed to a random number. After changing it back to zero, it seems to be OK.

Quicken should take note that the experience was nothing like that described in the Support article.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the replies and your experiences. Obviously this is not working as desired for at least a few of us.

• markus1957
    Bob. said:
    Would resetting the account help or hurt?

I first tried resetting the account. That only reset the ZZZ OLD version and changed my Opening Balance. The listed FI was still the ZZZ PayPal OLD. So, I deactivated and cleared the FI name and username from Account Details. After crashing on the first reactivate, Tools>Add Account>Link to Existing worked to link my existing account register to the new PayPal. Except that it changed my Opening Balance again. After I corrected that, OSU ran normally except that EWC+ adds a new Service step during OSU.

Note that the process is nothing like what is described in the Support article.
  • James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Ha, I just did a one-step update and also saw the sleeping paypal, snoozing away with the Z's.  It looks like it still updated for me, so based on that and based on some of the issues encountered above, I'm not touching it quite yet.  :)
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    After reverting to a backup > @James J said:
    > Ha, I just did a one-step update and also saw the sleeping paypal, snoozing away with the Z's.  It looks like it still updated for me, so based on that and based on some of the issues encountered above, I'm not touching it quite yet.  :)

James - I did do the update last night and messed it up. So I reverted to my backup this morning then updated all accounts. This time I did not get any error message or sign in message for the ZZZ account and it seemed to update without issue. Maybe that's a fluke? But like you I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens later today.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    James J said:
    Ha, I just did a one-step update and also saw the sleeping paypal, snoozing away with the Z's.  It looks like it still updated for me, so based on that and based on some of the issues encountered above, I'm not touching it quite yet.  :)

Smart man :)
  • Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Why was this not transitioned automatically, or at least, warn users in the release notes that PayPal was transitioning, and we had to follow some new instructions to keep it working correctly.? I only discovered it here, because I saw the "ZZZ.." this morning on an update, and searched the community for an answer.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed Randy.

Have you been able to transition? If so, what did you do? I am still stymied.
This discussion has been closed.