Is R40.21 safe to install?

retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
I have read all of the post about issues with the R40.21 update. 

Is it safe to install now or are there still problems with R40.21?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Comments

• UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can't answer your question directly as I don't know the answer.

But I always wait one week after being notified of any new releases before installing to see if there are any additional releases in that time. If so, I will wait another week before installing.

As I was first notified about 40.21 yesterday, I won't install until after May 11th.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    THX @UserDavidC and I was notified weeks ago when it was put out to some of us and the issues cropped up.  I was notified again yesterday of the update thus my question.  It is now posted on the Mondo site to download.  Maybe the issues were fixed before Mondo.   Anybody know for sure?

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reading. Guess nobody can verify R40.21 is safe so I'll stick with R39.23 a while longer.... 

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    @retird Guess some of us are going to find out. Quicken auto-updated to R40.21 tonight so...
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jr_ece.... I truly hope all is good....

• jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    @retird Me too. :# Not happy it auto-updated especially with some of the issues I'm reading about here.
  • Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Set your Windows User Account Control to "Notify Me When Apps try to make changes to my computer". Then you will get a prompt before Quicken tries to install an update, and you can opt out.
    Type User Account Control into the Windows search bar to find the setting.

QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• Roger Miller
    Roger Miller Member ✭✭✭
    I am holding off on 40.21 for a while longer. I learned my lesson on the Paycheck debacle with 39.xx.
    QWin Premier user since 1997. QWin Premier subscription on Windows 10 & 11. I don't use mobile & web or bill pay.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Remember that you go to User Account Settings in Windows, then in Control Panel>Security and Maintenance>Security>User Account Control. With the top two setting on the bar, Windows will ask you if you want to upgrade rather than just automatically loading the update. I always say no until I'm sure it's working okay!
  • TangledWeb
    TangledWeb Member ✭✭
    > @Roger Miller said:
    > I am holding off on 40.21 for a while longer. I learned my lesson on the Paycheck debacle with 39.xx.

For the same reason I will not touch R40.21 for at least two more weeks. I was lucky to read on this forum about the paycheck debacle with R39.xx before installing R39.xx. Sticking with R37.67.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm  still  running R39.23,  and not having any issues with it. By being so active here, avoided  the Paycheck problem.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can't name a single Quicken release that is "safe/bug free" for everyone.

Some have more bugs than others, and it they are big, or little depends a lot on what features you are using and your given setup environment.

I personally have been running R40.21 with no real problems.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @Chris_QPW... my opinion is that any update put out should just work... used to be that way.... seems now they solve an issue with an update and create more issues from the update which requires another update..

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    retird said:
    @Chris_QPW... my opinion is that any update put out should just work... used to be that way.... seems now they solve an issue with an update and create more issues from the update which requires another update..
    And in my opinion is that nothing is perfect in this world.

I do believe that Quicken Inc should do better, but "just work" for everyone, isn't possible.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    hum other software I use doesn't have critical issues with updates and is much more complicated than quicken...... MS Office Pro as an example....

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This one useless thread.
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Not useless.... just wanted to get some answers from anyone that there is no issue with this update.... you don't have to post here @Chris_QPW...

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    No one is going to announce that there aren't any issues with any release.  At least not if they know what they are talking about.  There are always people that are going to have problems, just look at the threads that have already been reported.  If you don't believe that just look at the threads where people have reported problems already.

I have yet to see a "no errors reported" release of Quicken.

The real question is "Are there any problems that are going to affect me?"
    And no one can answer that.

Waiting and looking at what problems are reported is your best bet.  But if you wait for "no issue with this update" you will never install a new version of Quicken again.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    We wait until after a release is officially announced as made available to all users before we even consider upgrading and Windows R40.XX Release (US) is still not there.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    Is R40.21 safe to install?  In my opinion - YES.  I had issues with Quicken on 4/18 and then installed R40.13.  It was the first update in a long time that had troublesome issues.  Long story short, I ended up reinstalling Windows, and then a clean install of Quicken back to R39.23.  After that, Quicken worked great.  A week later, I updated to R40.21 (via Mondo Patch) and ever since then, Quicken has never worked better.  I have had no issues since then.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    Set your Windows User Account Control to "Notify Me When Apps try to make changes to my computer". Then you will get a prompt before Quicken tries to install an update, and you can opt out.

@Roger Miller It is set. Quicken auto installed when I launched on May 5th. No way to stop it short of a 3 finger salute (ctrl+alt+del) and killing the thread. Didn't want to do that due to the risk of corrupting all of Quicken. Still cautiously optimistic.
  • jr_ece
    jr_ece Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

I personally have been running R40.21 with no real problems.
    @Chris_QPW Thanks. Good to know.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jr_ece said:

@Roger Miller It is set. Quicken auto installed when I launched on May 5th. No way to stop it short of a 3 finger salute (ctrl+alt+del) and killing the thread. Didn't want to do that due to the risk of corrupting all of Quicken. Still cautiously optimistic.
    If you, have it set to "Notify me only when apps try to make changes to my computer" or "Always notify me when", like this:

Any install, including the one run automatically at start up should give you this prompt:

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Any install, including the one run automatically at start up should give you this prompt:
    Yes, it "should". But there have been a small number of cases reported where Quicken apparently bypassed UAC and updated anyway. It happened to me once. No one knows how this happens, but it is clear from CCleaner's options that it is possible to programmatically bypass UAC. I hope Quicken isn't doing this on purpose.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    My tests say they aren't bypassing the setting.

I installed an older patch so that my version of Quicken isn't the most recent.
    Then I changed this setting in the Quicken.ini to force an update:

When I started Quicken it did start the install of the R40.21 patch, but I got User Account Control dialog, and as such could prevent it from being installed.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I would call this release "typical".

As I scan through the posts that mention R40.21, I see the typical breakdown of cases.
    1. Crashes in some cases for some people.
    2. Fixes some problems for some people.
    3. R40.21 is mentioned, but it isn't proven that R40.21 is actually the problem.
    And that is why I said asking if it is safe to install is really meaningless.
    Everyone going to have to scan for what problems exist (or at least phrase the question as "What problems have been reported with XXX release?") and decide for themselves.  Even then, it there is always going to be a chance that something in the release is going to not work or cause problems for a given use case.

And as @Sherlock pointed out, waiting until a release is actually official released to everyone, it a good idea.  R40.21 is still in the "stagged release mode".
    Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @Chris_QPW Are they officially released on the Mondo Site. R40.21is there already and has been for days.  If the Mondo Site releases are not official releases where do we got to find the official releases? Again you post for a second time (saber rattling) that you feel this discussion is useless and you certainly don't have to be here if you feel that way.  

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    retird said:
    @Chris_QPW Are they officially released on the Mondo Site. R40.21is there already and has been for days.  If the Mondo Site releases are not official releases where do we got to find the official releases? Again you post for a second time (saber rattling) that you feel this discussion is useless and you certainly don't have to be here if you feel that way.  
    Again, we wait at least until the made available to all users statement appears in the announcement posted for the release in the Product Releases and Announcements: Windows category before we consider upgrading from an adequately functioning release.

Note: Quicken should be maintaining the subscription releases at: https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    @Sherlock, thanks for posting here. From the second link you provided it says R40.21 is "subscription release" as of 4-29-2022 right? See below screenshot 2  So it is an official release but community on 4-28-2022 only states a partial release from the 1st link you gave...see below screenshot 1 (Community Post)... am I missing something? 

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    retird said:
    @Sherlock, thanks for posting here. From the second link you provided it says R40.21 is "subscription release" as of 4-29-2022 right? See below screenshot 2  So it is an official release but community on 4-28-2022 only states a partial release from the 1st link you gave...see below screenshot 1 (Community Post)... am I missing something? 

Correct. The R40.21 is still only released to a limited number of users at this time.  The second link also provides R39.23 which is the latest subscription release that has been made available to all users.

From Windows R40.XX Release (US):

From Windows R39.XX Release (US):

From https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has:

This discussion has been closed.