64 Bit Version (+1 Merged Vote)

lopisis1
lopisis1 Member
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
I have been using Quicken for well over 10 years. My database file size is 185 MB which makes using Quicken slow. File downloads from financial institutions take forever and nothing else can be done until it is finished. In this day and age multitasking is essential.
Using Quicken Version R33.24 on HP Computer:
Running Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 - 64 bit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.19 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
21 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken will never have a 64 bit version. This has been discussed many times.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    lopisis1 said:
    I have been using Quicken for well over 10 years.
    none of your points have anything to do with 64-bit software... or making Quicken run faster.
    - file size doesn't slow down Quicken - it is just slow
    - file downloads also - it is just slow
    - multitasking - DOS had multitasking...
    Quicken is just ... a collection of bits and pieces over the years - and it is now a slow kludge

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• bluemoon75
    bluemoon75 Member
    I agree the sluggishness and responsiveness of the UI are really really bad! I have reported these issues many times but never get any feedback. It feels like with each update the UI gets slower and slower and the redraw of the interface is very poor!
  • Doug12
    Doug12 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Come on guys, it is long past time to up grade the code to 64-bit [removed - speculation/disruptive]
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doug12 said:  Come on guys, it is long past time to upgrade the code to 64-bit 
    And… as I mentioned above … 
    what do you think would change with a 64-bit version if it existed ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    It is time to bite the bullet and convert to 64 bit.  I also use Quickbooks and they have just converted it to 64 bit and it is faster in every way.  The backups are faster, the UI is faster, the interaction with banks (ie transaction downloading is faster) and they added more features (not fewer) to boot.  I am tired of all of the excuses given ie, Look at the Mac update fiasco, there is not way to update the datebase, you will not have all of the features that we currently have etc. etc. 

I know this will not happen overnight.  It would probably take 2 years or so do properly.  If Quicken Inc. had started this process when they first bought the program from Intuit it would be done by now!  It is not a matter of if but WHEN this will have to be done.
  • LANm0nk3y
    LANm0nk3y Member ✭✭
    I'm with you guys, I think they need to work on transitioning to 64. The interface is a little sluggish at times. Though their web interface is just fine. I'm sure they're just telling everyone to eventually just use the website.
  • Stuart Boyle
    Stuart Boyle Member ✭✭✭
    I have the suspicion that the core Quicken program is ancient and it just doesn't run snappy even on today's SSD's. Would there be any performance improvement moving to a 64 bit version?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there would not be any performance improvement. My Quicken runs fine on my current Windows 11 computer.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Stuart Boyle,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and merged your Idea to this active Idea thread regarding this topic.

Ideas are reviewed by our Development and Product teams to see what features people would like to have available in the future. Please, be sure to add your own vote as well by clicking the up arrow (see example below).

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• tom porterfield
    tom porterfield Member ✭✭
    Thanks for merging. I have upvoted this. With today's modern computer processing architecture and operating system capabilities, a rewrite to an application that can take advantage of these things is long overdue. Hopefully some of the legacy code can be refactored as part of this as well.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully some of the legacy code can be refactored as part of this as well.
    And there is the core reason this is never going to happen.

The main "legacy code" that is known to be 32-bit and unsupported (as in they can't get a newer 64-bit version of) is the database.  And the database is so core to Quicken, they would have to totally rewrite Quicken, and that isn't going to happen.  Quicken Mac started a rewrite in 2007 which to the day isn't completely done.

What's more going to 64-bits doesn't actually provide any performance improvements in itself.
    Performance problems have to do with bugs, or how the code is written.  The only exception to this would be if the code was already written to take advantage of all the memory available and it was "memory restricted".  The current code doesn't even use all of the memory it has available with 32-bits.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I got to log the original post:
    lopisis1 said:
    File downloads from financial institutions take forever and nothing else can be done until it is finished. In this day and age multitasking is essential.
    What does using 32-bit/64-bit have to do with downloading transactions or multitasking?

This whole request seems to be based on a false assumption that they are connected in some way.
    They aren't.

From what I see Express Web Connect accounts are done in parallel.  Direct Connect are done serially, but that seems to be tied to the way the connection is made, the underline code must be using something that is "global" and such can't have multiple instances running at the same time.

But like I said this has nothing to do with 32-bits vs 64-bits.
    Signature:
  • tom porterfield
    tom porterfield Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > And there is the core reason this is never going to happen.
    >
    > The main "legacy code" that is known to be 32-bit and unsupported (as in they can't get a newer 64-bit version of) is the database.  And the database is so core to Quicken, they would have to totally rewrite Quicken, and that isn't going to happen.  Quicken Mac started a rewrite in 2007 which to the day isn't completely done.
    >
    > What's more going to 64-bits doesn't actually provide any performance improvements in itself.
    > Performance problems have to do with bugs, or how the code is written.  The only exception to this would be if the code was already written to take advantage of all the memory available and it was "memory restricted".  The current code doesn't even use all of the memory it has available with 32-bits.

I honestly couldn't care less what they've tried in the past or what they need to do to modernize the application. I write computer software for a living, I understand a lot of the issues that can be faced with keeping an application current and modern.

Every time my license comes up for renewal I look around for alternatives. At some point the alternatives will be better than what Quicken is offering and I will leave. Quicken either needs to realize that at some point they will lose more customers and their money over this than what they are saving by doing nothing. You say it will never happen. I can promise you that it either will happen, or the product will die.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    You say it will never happen. I can promise you that it either will happen, or the product will die.
    I fully expect it to die, eventually.

EDIT.  And I can tell you that some long-time users are betting that "eventually" isn't too long off.  But they think that not for 64-bits, they think of that because of all the bugs and problems Quicken has.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken is more and more a very fragile house of cards.....
    - legacy software that is so intertwined, that touching it causes all sorts of issues.
    - the entire financial downloading, protocols, 3rd parties, etc - makes it all the more heading toward the iceberg. 
    And folks want Dark Mode and 64-bit - as if any of that really matters when Quicken crashes, introduces old bugs, can't even install like most other software programs, and the interface to outside 3rd party Intuit for proxy downloads from financial institutions, along with the financial institutions changing the game.... and don't even touch the Quicken Cloud and SYNC to Mobile App.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sunrise_Mike
    Sunrise_Mike Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Quicken has become sssooooo ssslllooowww that I will not renew unless there is a 64 bit version to try. Quicken user for 20 years with data entry (stock purchases) back to 1984 - 38 years. It takes quicken about 2 minutes for one transaction entry without splits, those take longer. The program "bounces" off my screen to where just the minimize, maximize and close buttons are barely visible. Quicken has become a complete bloatware aggravation to use. It will be easier for me to learn and create a database for transaction tracking. In addition to quicken I have always kept bank account registers in a spreadsheet, so these are not idle words to say it would be easier to work in a database, or simpler to work in a spreadsheet. Quicken should announce that a 64 bit version is "in production" and ask for beta testers to verify their work. I like the features we have, but the pain of using the program has become intolerable. Quicken, your users have told you what you need to do if you want to continue to succeed. Ignore customer complaints and they will go away - both the complaints and the customers. Quicken R44.38 Windows 10 Pro, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX w/ 2GB Video RAM, Intel Core i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70 GHz (4 CPU's), ~ 2.90 GHz. Also, my membership valid until May 21, 2023, so that is 189 days from today. So let's see the request for 64 bit beta testers by January 13, 2023 (two months for Quicken to have some strategic business meetings).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sunrise_Mike a 64-bit version would do nothing to improve the speed of Quicken.  Plenty of people on here have very large/old Quicken data files with no performance problems that you describe.
    Signature:
  • Divemaster
    Divemaster Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a 64 bit version only increase the addressable size of the program code?  So I think unless the current version is around 4GB or bigger, would 64 bit version help?  Now if a complete rewrite was done, I would bet Quicken would be faster.  I was using Quicken back on DOS when living on the farm.  If that code has just been added to and modified, well putting it nicely, it isn't going to be as efficient as a  newly designed system.   Reminds me of a program I once changed from a tape file for data, to an ISAM file and later to a Total database.  What a mess that thing was to change just to keep up with state and federal regulations. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a 64 bit version only increase the addressable size of the program code?  So I think unless the current version is around 4GB or bigger, would 64 bit version help?  Now if a complete rewrite was done, I would bet Quicken would be faster.  I was using Quicken back on DOS when living on the farm.  If that code has just been added to and modified, well putting it nicely, it isn't going to be as efficient as a  newly designed system.   Reminds me of a program I once changed from a tape file for data, to an ISAM file and later to a Total database.  What a mess that thing was to change just to keep up with state and federal regulations. 
    About the only thing it could do for increasing the performance is increase the amount of memory Quicken can allocate over 2GB (there is no limit on the size of the code).  Note in some case machines this can be 3GB or maybe even 4GB, but never more than that in a 32-bit program (holding down Shift and selecting Help -> About Quicken will show how much it can allocate).  The thing is that Quicken is already caching the information when it goes to use it.  That is why opening an account the first time might be slower than opening it from then on. But try something open up the task manager and see how much memory it is using.  Then open all your biggest accounts so that they are cached, and then do One Step Update and look at how much memory Quicken is using.

Here is mine.

And I want to note that the "Windows host processes" are just that processes and each process can allocate the 2GB.

So, even with caching everyone of my 20 accounts the main Quicken process is allocating less than 200MB.

Quicken's bottlenecks are not in the areas of where 64-bits will help.

They tend to be in four spots from what I can determine.
    1. Network, and this can be the biggest time.  If Quicken has problems with talking to its servers, it can hang for long periods of time.
    2. Corrupted data files.
    3. Badly designed GUI objects, like the investment account register is a hot mess of controls.
    4. Doing unnecessary refreshing/calculations.  For instance, I think one of the reasons the investment accounts are so slow when they have a number of transactions (above even the terrible GUI controls) is that they seem to be recalculating all the information for the security lots for the whole register every time anything is updated in the register or even outside it when it is being displayed.
    One thing that gets blamed a lot is the database.  But as far as I can tell, it is actually a pretty fast database for being an embedded one that can't take advantage of a powerful server.  This shows up to me in the reports.  You can actually pull up reports that have a lot of old data, even investment data and they come up in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, there are things that one might do to improve Quicken's performance but going to 64-bits isn't it. 
    Signature:
  • sfpeter
    sfpeter Member ✭✭

I have the same issuse, but I am running on Intel i7 12th gen CPU with 64 DDR5 ram Windows 11. When I run Quicken, and I check the task manager, one core is usually running 100% 4.someting GHz.

• sfpeter
    sfpeter Member ✭✭

Oh, I forgot, but my is slight faster, just slightly around one second most of the time, you almost can finish "one thousand and one". Once awhile, it takes almost one minutes. I got Quicken under one minute by changing the power setting in Windows 11 Pro to performance, and fans are running full power, like a hair dryer. I think Microsoft is no longer supported e-core and p-core for 64Wow. Quiken is running like installed in a i386 computer.