Citibank Transactions Have Payee "Pin"

cjlang@
cjlang@ Member ✭✭
Is anyone else having a problem with downloaded transactions from Citibank whereby all debit card transactions show the payee as "pin?" This started about a week ago.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have not already done so, I suggest you check your Renaming Rules and Memorized Payees List for that "pin" payee.  If you find it listed, delete it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    I checked my Renaming Rules but don't see anything there to account for this. Not sure how Memorized Payees would come into play
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    cjlang@ said:
    Is anyone else having a problem with downloaded transactions from Citibank whereby all debit card transactions show the payee as "pin?" This started about a week ago.
    Hello @cjlang@

I am sorry to hear about this problem with incorrect payee information appearing in transactions. Thank you for drawing our attention to this issue here on the Quicken Community.

First, what connection method are you using to add or link your accounts to online banking services? You can check this by going to Tools > Account List in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open. Click the Edit button in the row associated with the accounts that have been affected, and then navigate to the Online Services tab; the information we're looking for should be available in the Online Setup callout box. 

Also, if you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted.

Then, add your Citibank accounts, exclusively, and perform an update to see if you notice this same behavior continuing in the test file.

I look forward to hearing back from you about your results. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjlang@ said:
    I checked my Renaming Rules but don't see anything there to account for this. Not sure how Memorized Payees would come into play
    Add the columns Downloaded Payee and Downloaded Memo to this account's register view.
    For a "Pin" transaction, what do you see in these two columns?

Can you please capture one or more images of the account register showing these transactions, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    I have been having intermittent problems downloading from Citi as well. I seem to have fixed my issue with "pin." I went through all my renaming rules and deleted any which referenced PIN in the rule. I then re-downloaded recent transactions with this issue and they came through OK. Not sure why this issue suddenly appeared.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear that you've got a handle on those "Pin" transactions. Maybe the following helps explain what happens ...

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.
    Paper checks you write should be recorded in Quicken as you write the check (and BEFORE you download transactions which might contain the cleared check). That gives you a register transaction with correct check number, payee name and category. No matter what information is downloaded from the bank, you already have a correct register transaction which the downloaded data cannot mess up.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    In reply to Quicken Jared, I am using Express Web Connect for this account.
  • cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    To UKR, I am not automatically adding downloaded transactions to my registers.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    cjlang@ said:
    In reply to Quicken Jared, I am using Express Web Connect for this account.
    Hello @cjlang@

Thank you for getting back to me with the answer to that question, and for keeping us so informed about what is happening. I appreciate your patience in working with us on this, and all of the detail you have been able to bring us. Has changing the renaming rules and re-downloading transactions fully resolved the issue, in this case? I just want to confirm.

A hearty thanks, also, to @UKR for providing so many helpful tips and information about this matter.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjlang@ said:
    To UKR, I am not automatically adding downloaded transactions to my registers.
    The devil could still be in the details ...
    do you "Accept all" downloaded transactions flagged as "New"
    or do you process each downloaded transaction, one by one, whether "New" or "Matched" and review, make changes as needed and accept each individually?
    "Accept all" flagged as "New" processes similar to "auto-accept", doing what Quicken wants to do with the transaction, without giving you a chance to make corrections BEFORE the transaction hits the register. This is most likely where your bad renaming rule came from.

• cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    To UKR, I added the columns, Downloaded Payee and Downloaded Memo. Until 5/20/2022, the Downloaded Payee column showed "Debit PIN Purchase" and the Downloaded Memo showed the original Payee. Beginning on 5/23 (a Monday), the Downloaded Memo field is blank.

Also, I generally "Accept all" except if I had previously entered a transaction manually, I will "Match manually."
  • cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    Jared, it appears the issue has been resolved. I'll let you know if anything changes. Thanks for your help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    cjlang@ said:
    To UKR, I added the columns, Downloaded Payee and Downloaded Memo. Until 5/20/2022, the Downloaded Payee column showed "Debit PIN Purchase" and the Downloaded Memo showed the original Payee. Beginning on 5/23 (a Monday), the Downloaded Memo field is blank.

Also, I generally "Accept all" except if I had previously entered a transaction manually, I will "Match manually."
    That seems to indicate that, depending on download protocol used, the bank or Intuit as download service provider made a change. The missing payee name in the download should be reported to both the bank and  Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation

• cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    As it turns out, my issue is not resolved. Below are the results of today's download. The first item is from the One Step Update; the second is from when I initiate the download from the Citibank website. What does this suggest?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Date Check # Payee Category Memo Downloaded payee Downloaded memo Payment Clr
    06/02/2022 Pin Debit PIN Purchase 20.22 c
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Date Check # Payee Category Memo Downloaded payee Downloaded memo Payment Clr
    06/02/2022 Stop & Shop Groceries STOP & SHOP 0526 3126 E NORTHPORT Debit PIN Purchase STOP & SHOP 0526 3126 E NORTHPORT 20.22 c
  • grezes71
    grezes71 Member ✭✭
    I have been having this same issue too for several weeks now. I reported it to Quicken when it first started happening. The downloaded transactions from Citibank are no longer complete descriptions. The PIN or transaction times are all that I receive. I have to log in to Citibank's website now and manually verify the transactions. On the Citibank website, the complete description is there including the parts that are truncated in the Quicken download. No renaming rules are affecting this issue. This is coming straight from the download. Please fix this issue ASAP since Quicken is supposed to be a timesaver and currently it is not.
  • cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    I'm glad (not really) to see that I'm not the only one having this problem. I was on a chat with Quicken a week ago and I tried deactivating and reactivating the online service to no avail. I need to get back on the line with them and let then know I'm not the only one. I'm doing exactly what you are to identify the transaction. However, if you initiate the download from Citibank.com, the transactions download correctly. I'm not in a position to say at which end the problem is.

I also just experienced a new problem (twice) in the past week where a downloaded credit card payment (two different accounts) has adjusted the opening balance of this checking account. This dates back to 1986! I'm at a loss on this one.
  • MarkyBCus
    MarkyBCus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I too am having a similar issue in Quicken for Mac. Looking at my registers for two Citibank checking accounts, my debit transactions are no longer downloading with complete information. They all have generic descriptions such as "Mobile Purchase Sign Based 06/06 08:41p #0028," "Mobile Purchase PIN Based" or "Debit PIN Purchase." I have tested to make sure there is not an issue with my Quicken file by starting a new test data file. Citibank downloads have the same issue with this test file.

This appeared to start about a month ago, coinciding with some downloading issues I was having with Citibank/Quicken. As it stands, I now have to compare my Quicken register with my online Citibank register and manually enter each transactions description into Quicken. Of note, previous transactions, when they were properly identified showed the details in the "Statement Memo" field. It appears Quicken would identify the Payee based on the information in this field. The "Statement Memo" field is now empty, and there appears to be no information in the transaction that would show the Payee now. In one Citi account this memo field was last populated on 5/19/22, and in another on 5/16/22.

Can Quicken work with Citibank to make sure the Payee information is included in transactions moving forward. Having to manually edit each transaction (referencing my Citibank.com register) is going to get old after years of it being automated.
  • cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    I just chatted with Quicken support and there is an open alert for this issue. They are working with Citibank but have no estimated date for resolution.
  • MarkyBCus
    MarkyBCus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    > @cjlang@ said:
    > I just chatted with Quicken support and there is an open alert for this issue. They are working with Citibank but have no estimated date for resolution.

Thanks! I wish there was a link to that open issue somewhere that we could track.

I'm detailing my report on the issue here at this Quicken for Mac thread:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7914754/citibank-debit-transactions-no-payee-information
  • grezes71
    grezes71 Member ✭✭
    That's scary. Will it be another open issue like the mortgage one that's "being worked on" for 6+ months?
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello All, 

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• grezes71
    grezes71 Member ✭✭
    Quicken, Is there an alert that we should be following similar to "ONGOING 6/9/22 Mortgage Accounts - CC-501/555/155 or ccclient.203"?
  • MarkyBCus
    MarkyBCus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Been there, done that @Quicken Jasmine
  • cjlang@
    cjlang@ Member ✭✭
    It appears the issue has been resolved!
  • grezes71
    grezes71 Member ✭✭
    :) Confirmation, looks like it's working!
  • MarkyBCus
    MarkyBCus Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    I too noticed some downloads today have the Statement Memo field populated again. One account is renaming Payees correctly, the other, though it has the information is not. I'll play with it a bit and see what's up. Cautiously optimistic!

EDIT: It appears it wasn't renaming some new transactions, only because they were new payees, and thus no rules had been associated with them. Quicken has sometimes been able to rename transactions intelligently, without my having to teach it a rule, hopefully we'll see more of that down the line.
This discussion has been closed.