Runtime Exception Error Starting Quicken [System.Exception: Failed to start image manager]

Answers

• pt216
    pt216 Member ✭✭
    AVG said its a rundll32.exe [16836] that is in quicken And these Messages Unable to initialize Quicken run time components, How do I uninstall Quicken? , How do I download Quicken from Quicken.com to install or reinstall it? Was a nightmare 3 hrs to download.
  • pt216
    pt216 Member ✭✭
    > @Kalman said: > With Avast if you disable the shields for 10 minutes Quicken opens up without issue.
    > I would use this with caution until Quicken gets this fixed. why woud you do that?? Rundl32.exe has been reported as a being a trojan virus, a malicious computer program designed to infect and spread through computer networks. The worm can remotely execute programs and run commands, use a keylogger to track keyboard entries, send data across networks and spread copies of itself.
  • ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭
    Adding QW.EXE to AVG's exceptions didn't do anything, but adding the rundll32.exe file appears to have corrected the issue. I was consistently seeing the error at runtime, but am not now. Hopefully a better solution comes about, but passing along the info.
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Rundll32.exe is a crucial part of Microsoft Windows that's made to launch functionality based in Windows DLL (dynamic linked library) files

Adding this as an exception is NOT A SMART MOVE.
    This may prevent your anti-virus software from detecting a real threat tied to Rundll32.exe
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    pt216:
    Its not actually in this issue. Problems is with the way Quicken wrote the code in the update.
  • I'm also receiving the message too.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone,

I do apologize that you are being affected by this issue. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to hearing about your results.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭
    > @Kalman said:
    > Rundll32.exe is a crucial part of Microsoft Windows that's made to launch functionality based in Windows DLL (dynamic linked library) files
    >
    > Adding this as an exception is NOT A SMART MOVE.
    > This may prevent your anti-virus software from detecting a real threat tied to Rundll32.exe

Of course. That's why a better solution is needed.
  • atceric
    atceric Member
    > @"Quicken Jared" said:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I apologize that you are being affected by these problems with online banking services. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >
    > It would benefit us immensely in our efforts to look into this issue if you could navigate to Help > Report a problem... in the upper menu at the top of the screen in order to submit program log files. You may also submit a brief description of the problem along with any available screenshots. Note that these submissions are purely for investigative purposes, and you will not receive a response through them. We do not have an ETA regarding a resolution. Our teams will investigate this issue further, and we apologize for the inconvenience.
    >
    > Thanks for your patience.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

I would love to "Report a problem" but that fails too!
  • johnnynav
    johnnynav Member ✭✭
    I was having the same issue but after reading this forum I updated my AVG and rebooted my system. The problem appears to be resolved now.
  • ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭
    Even before backing out related exceptions, which I did earlier, the error came back. Quicken says has latest release. Ugh.

I guess I'll contact support.
  • johnnynav
    johnnynav Member ✭✭
    I take it back. It ran several times without issue and then came back again
  • LostUser
    LostUser Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    How can I resolve this?

For now I can close the message and continue but it needs to be cleaned up.

Thank you very much.
  • Boomerang
    Boomerang Member ✭✭
    Quicken won't load. I get this dialog box A Run Time Exception has occurred. When I close this and log in - it now wants to sign into my Quicken Account - and the program closes down. Any clues how to fix this?

Thank you,

Bob Petras

The start of the message:

Exception:
    System.Exception: Failed to start image manager
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.hiva()
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.mccq()

Begin_Block_1
  • I have the same problem. It goes away when I disable my AVG antivirus which is NOT a solution, just an indication of the error.
  • dgrotolo
    dgrotolo Member ✭✭
    I am receiving this error as well. Ran windows update this morning and now Quicken receiving runtime error as described above.
  • CindyOld
    CindyOld Member
    edited September 2022
    I downloaded the program yesterday and have had nothing but problems—new computer. Trying to open it either as AVG or AVAST claim there is malware in it (I've tried both antiviruses and spent time uninstalling/installing each of them) - and support gave me a mondo patch but it still either gives me that error or flat out crashes. What is going on? This is ridiculous and the technician support person I chatted with earlier [Removed - Disruptive] acted like I was the only one and I told her there is a discussion on this board about these problems! [Removed - Rant]
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Hello everyone,

I do apologize if you are continuing to experience these issues. Thank you for continuing to reach out to us about this.

An Open Alert regarding the error message described in this thread and the link provided here will provide additional details. Future updates will be made available there, as well. Currently, there is no ETA available, although our teams are at work on the issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns, and we thank you for your patience. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I am having the same issue, hope it is resolved asap
  • I have the problem, too. AVG complained about rundll (I failed to capture that message). Then I get the Exception message. When I close it, Quicken seems to run fine.

Image & text attached.
  • I get a malware warning from Avast security when opening quicken.
  • Boomerang
    Boomerang Member ✭✭
    Okay, we all have the same problem. This is how I tested it and resolved the issue.

Uninstall the latest Windows 10 Update KB 5017308.
    Uninstall the Quicken program entirely - make sure you have a DATA file back up.
    Reinstall the Quicken program
    It worked however the fated dialog box came back up.
    Uninstalled Avast One Free Edition and switch back to Microsoft Defender.
    Restart Quicken and presto - life returns to normal.

So unsure if the issue is with Windows Update or Avast. I don't think it is a Quicken issue.

Strange that we all had the same issue on September 18, 2022.
  • Nermal
    Nermal Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. Started after a Windows update and Avast came up with "Threat Secured" message with program rundll32.exe as Win32-Malware-gen found in the C WINDOWS SysWOW64 folder. Will submit a report with copy of message. Once I close the "runtime exception" notice, the password request appears and I am able to log in and Quicken works fine as far as I can tell.
  • Why is it that everytime I start Quicken, my AVG Virus and Malware Protection comes up and flags "rundll32.exe[7228] infected with Win32:Malware-gen."

This error has never occurred in the past, but started after the last Quicken update, AND NO OTHER APPLICATIONS CAUSE THIS ERROR for those that might think that the computer itself was infected. (No other 32 bit applications are affected)
  • DavidGG
    DavidGG Member ✭✭
    I have the problem and I cannot resolve it.
    I reported it to Quicken at 10!3 a m ET today and have not had a response.
    What can I do?
    How much subscription should they refund?
  • The below is the Error Message that comes up from Quicken:

Exception:
    System.Exception: Failed to start image manager
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.hiva()
    at EO.Internal.vpsi.wxpi.mccq()

Begin_Block_1
    gAAAAA7nTR+mEVqiramRpHFMeSEXfFpVUQcK8iqN8bov/7BVLg8rgNMLooNXsTBLxaa8T+c2aKmB
    dQqI5mn+KGoGGmkLKkECky1NW/LiGFMhXI7DI3XX64CMiteTDYfYUV7jIxxLZvJS969AjuqftbQW
    9iikaED8Sdb/TX8S2fwhZgrQEAAAAKxIhRkppMjI1fVI4iBS/OSARwAAulEGuKwqd/hB/GorFpI7
    Rc9IcKkq63LdlOPb15O/b43GTOMA3Up7CuMbxbcHkQJld/inrTxZmWGkxps/KYmuO0iuqj6czwY7
    116wbC9j233N7TB2vyEKgy2Gxm3VbrAUrME+7jAo1x9foOdqU1xxFMFNIWMULALKaZa3DIi+bI/q
    FzLxv8a8tcrSqWRTZDt/vLrBW5tP145U+RywJGXIwSxOw/8OuwEOLKih1GQgioAqXQcLvXFNL9jZ
    rBxaanqs+iWfE+j0knPuePdo9FFI+tVdypw21Fwu86eRRI6jtpmavnb0diRxCY/oe/qe1fE9vZcz
    I0/L8OiDyqasXywgzgfazHozRBomYHW6VSJHTBe6RDGT+xM1BoLEAriIlSggeX2yZN4SdEwRBTsh
    AuraZh937D4bojhbBJtZWRyCkPEcsv9am9Rya157lAZZw0VxQFQXqFnkCYMvFkZONrWNOoq7nyoG
    CsMVIUQ3YYVx+m1zpQxydZAfzSexsXNdKTTCjMfmefIe62a04o9kjuycb5COGdxYCSG1LHgstRfi
    oUr1usljV9ZlrXs2Py/yC3Np7WGghC8bNyKs1fwU0LbaJrSlF7HXpHMEmOTGlGXxN3llHAXqkksg
    T7Go2OPdntrGfHt0kQD5Vdes+JIN1qVRrwdYroUtvD7qru8sj1Mb+BrJP8geoGMKZClNl1HCnGgq
  • Yep, I just created a separate post, as I hadn't found this one...., and same exact thing is happening to me as well.....
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Check out this forum discussion..
    Runtime Exception Error Starting Quicken [System.Exception: Failed to start image manager]
  • Kalman
    Kalman Member ✭✭
    Fjh: Thanks I activated the ribbon to be notified when Quicken fixes this issue.
    Its clear this is a quicken issues since other windows programs access rundll32.exe all the time.
    I do threat scans daily with Avast, Spybot S&D & Malwarebytes and nothing has been detected prior to and since this Quicken bug. Including a boot scan with Avast
This discussion has been closed.