Quicken Software Update hanging on 'Optimizing and Executing Files'

bobz39
bobz39 Member ✭✭

May 2, 2023. Automatic update hanging on 'Optimizing and Executing Files' step. Now has been 20 minutes.

Comments

• bobz39
    bobz39 Member ✭✭

Finally gave up and started quicken. Seems OK.

• jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭

Ditto on that. Second update in a row where it hangs.

• Larry4
    Larry4 Member ✭✭✭

Same here, second update this has happened. The first eventually finished after ~15 minutes, this one has not.

• BudN01
    BudN01 Member ✭✭

It would download 85% and get hung up in the last part and take over 20-30 minutes and would not stop trying to download. Just wondering if there is a way to show the amount of data being downloaded by ?? % as other programs do - so if it is stuck you could see that there is an issue and to contact Support.

thanks

Bud😉

• ricrob
    ricrob Member

Same issue, Quicken Update Program stops on Optimizing and executing files. Have been waiting 20 minutes????

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what version of Quicken y'all are running.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Janean
    Quicken Janean Moderator admin

Hi all, Can you please check your Task Manager to see if "MSI cleanup" is causing this issue? By selecting to end the process called “MSI cleanup”, this may fix the issue. Please let me know if you have tried this and if this resolved the problem. Thanks!

-Quicken Janean

Quicken Janean

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭

Hi, FYI, I used task manager to end Quicken while it was hanging on the 'Optimizing and Executing Files' step. When I reopened Quicken all seems well. When selecting Help → Check for Updates, it says "You already have the latest version of Quicken Release R49.29)" So it seems to have completed the task. It will be difficult to see if "MSI cleanup" is causing the issue unless there is a new update? Thank you.

• Hansu
    Hansu Member

49.29 update causes my Scanner to lock up after adding attachment

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭

Killed MSIClean and update completed. Clicked on Start Quicken and it started. (On a side note, it should really remember the QDF file you were using and give you the option to open it or another file. Avoid having to track it down on my server.)

• Johnsgk
    Johnsgk Member

I have the same problem today May 23, 2023, - and MSI Cleanup is NOT running under Quicken when I check my task manager. I am currently running R49.29 and trying to update to R49.33. The problem is "Automatic update hanging on 'Optimizing and Executing Files' step." Thanks for your help. have tried to update thrice with no progress or change.

• JRE
    JRE Member ✭✭

Canceling MSIClean worked for me.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭
    Same issue this morning with the latest update.
    I noticed when this gets stuck, the MSIClean file shows the PF (page fault) delta is very large - any reason for this? Not normal.
  • jtcrawf55
    jtcrawf55 Member ✭✭✭

Regarding latest update, R50.8… Once the install starts hanging on "O and EF' it took about 8 minutes to complete. But it did complete successfully.

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭

Same thing (8 or 10 minutes) happened this morning when updating to R50.14

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• Steve299@
    Steve299@ Member ✭✭

Still having this hang issue for at least the last 4 updates. Killing "MSI cleanup" ends the process and completes the update. Now at 50.14. Please fix this!

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭

Some extra info:

I have a dual boot setup on my PC between Windows 7 and WIndows 10

When updating Quicken, Windows 7 takes 25+ min on the MSIcleanp optimizing step, where as the Windows 10 it is immediately done.

Same PC hardware , different OS.

• nightowl1962
    nightowl1962 Member ✭✭

Regarding above - not same quicken install - 2 different copies on 2 drives

• Jetted
    Jetted Member

I have been having this issue since May, called support 2x. First time they had me download & install “Mondo Patch”, this worked. Next updated same issue, called back. Uninstall Quicken- Install Quicken worked. Next update same issue, tried to reinstall got error, Dialog box said delete Quicken directory, deleted/installed new copy OK.next time same issue. I also notice random hangs after backup and cloud synch. It seems to write the file, but never brings back the desktop. This issue is getting old, I have been using since 1992 and this is the most annoying issue I’ve had.

This discussion has been closed.