Nostalgia triggers...

Options
Quicken Jasmine
Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
edited November 2023 in The Water Cooler

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all having a fabulous beginning to the month of September!

I wanna take things a different route this month and get a little personal. What smell, image, or sound triggers nostalgia for you?

For me, I would have to say it would be fresh cut, or wet, grass. I can't really explain why it does but it just instantly brings me back to my childhood when the days were longer and times were simpler. The smell makes me feel like a kid again. It releases my inner child in a sense.

I am excited to hear from all of you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Believe it or not, the smell of gasoline takes me back to my childhood Christmas vacations in the Philippines. πŸ˜‚

That Manila traffic air when you first walk out the airport doors is ridiculous, but any time I smell gas, it takes me back every time without fail LOL.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

As odd as it may sound, going to the airport reminds me of Christmas.

When I was a kid, my Mom's oldest and youngest sisters would fly in from California every year to celebrate Christmas with us, and we'd always pick them up from the airport.

Quicken Kristina

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Most discussions of my late wife bring tears to my eyes. We were married for 33 years … and she fought breast cancer for the last 20, dying in 2007.

My current wife, a retired hospice NP, is very understanding when this happens.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

The musical "Rent" gets me every time. I know it's weird to be nostalgic about the AIDS era, but it's such a great play. Makes me wish Jonathan Larson had lived longer and created more.

I've seen it live twice, the first time way off Broadway in NYC, and later in SF, and I own both Blu-rays, movie & live versions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The smell and taste of popcorn popped in bacon grease takes me back to my youth.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Anja
    Options

Popcorn in bacon grease?! That sounds delicious! πŸ˜‹

-Quicken Anja

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In my teens, we weren't eating as much bacon, so bacon grease was scarce and we would "Have" to cook bacon just for the grease to make popcorn. In fact, mom used very little vegetable oil or Crisco, everything got cooked with bacon grease or lard.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

[Removed - Off Topic/Sarcasm]

This discussion has been closed.