Manual Backup Reminders no longer occurring

2»

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of curiosity, what drive and path name do your Automatic Backups go to? What drive and path name do your Manual Backups go to?

What are the settings in effect in Edit / Preferences / Backup?
    Can you capture an image snapshot of the settings view and attach it here?

How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG or JPG only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭

@UKR Is your manual backup reminder working as intended? If so what version of Quicken are you using?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

My Manual Backup Reminder has always been working, using the settings in the image I provided earlier in this discussion.
    I'm on the latest US patch release level, R 58.14

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭

@UKR - my backup settings are the same as yours although I only keep 3 automatic backups. My manual backup goes to a "D" drive instead of the defaul "C" drive for automatic backups.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

And there are checkmarks in the boxes on the left side, to enable each of the functions, Automatic and Manual? No checkmarks, no backups.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14

@UKR yes - please understand that I am a decades long user of Quicken. As I mentioned to you a few weeks back I am fairly certain this is not an issue specific to my computer or othes who have similarly complained. I appreciate you trying to help but I think we need to wait for @Quicken Kristina to figure this one out with the Quicken support team.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, fair enough. Thanks for working with me.

Now we wait for the programmers, to figure out which of the myriad of .INI, .CFG or .DAT files has the backup settings stored in it, why they're stored incorrectly and why they can't be changed to correct the settings.

• Dan Violette
    Dan Violette Member ✭✭

I manual backup to a USB stick, but I also still have the issue with no reminder to manually backup. My automatic backups are working fine. I have been following all and doing recommendations without success either. Since some seem to work and some not, maybe UKR has it where it is a corrupted config file. If someone has the guts, remove Quicken, and reinstall completely and reimport data. Maybe even try same on another PC or virtual PC. Forget the trial period before you need to insert a license key.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where Quicken stores the values for the backup preferences? Are they in an .ini, .cfg, in the Windows registry?

By values I mean the Auto Backup intervals, the number to keep and the manual backup reminder interval.

I found the QUSER.INI that has the recent files (my qdata) and recent backup backup paths, but no intervals. I also searched through the registry and found nothing that appears to have these settings.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I fixed mine….

After a fruitless search for the settings, I decided to jump into the deep end and uninstall Quicken. Now I did this before to no avail. This time I uninstalled, searched my hard drive for any and all Quicken folders (found a few left after uninstall) and deleted them. Then searched through the Windows registry and deleted anything Quicken related (again, there was quite a few entries left). Did a clean reboot of my PC.

Downloaded Quicken Classic from the Quicken site and reinstalled. I had backed up my qdata file and made several other copies (just in case). When I installed Quicken I also had it do updates. Once in, I selected "open an existing data file" and selected my good one. Double checked the backup preferences (manual reminder set to one from the default 5). Closed Quicken, no reminder (OK, new setting not in effect). Launched Quicken again, closed using the File Exit and the reminder popped up!! Did the backup, Quicken closed. Launch again, this time close pressing the X, reminder appeared, did the backup, Quicken closed!!

Of course, I had to re-authorize all my accounts (sigh!) but it's all seems to work now.

For the record, I did reset the warnings earlier and no popups reappeared. Not the reminder, not the end of OSU or others ones I have may clicked "don't show again". I didn't notice the absence of the others until now. Perhaps the issue is that the reset isn't functioning properly? I don't know.

I'm on R58.14 Build 27.1.58.14. Set my manual reminder back to 5. Set my manual backup location back to my NAS. I'll post back to confirm it's all still good.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭

ha! Too much work for me. I’m just going to hope that quicken jumps in with an update which includes a fix. In the meantime I set a reminder on my phone to prompt me to do a manual backup every 3 days…

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

I hear ya. I have a scheduled backup for my NAS every Friday. I was just doing the manual backup prior to the start time. This was not a really big deal but knowing it works for some folks meant there was likely something about my system that's contributing to it. I did a fresh install on another PC (never had Quicken) and it worked fine. That's what caused me to look deeper.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

Just confirming. I had set my manual reminder back to 5 when I closed Quicken for the last time a few days ago. Just now after syncing and reconciling (all went well), I closed out, the reminder popped up, I completed the manual backup and Quicken closed.

Have no clue why it stopped working, seemingly after an update. While scrubbing any remnants after the uninstall, I found a bunch of folders and registry keys remaining. Folders were located in Appdata and some in ProgramData (both hidden folders). The registry had keys and values all over the place. (Unless you know what you are doing, don't mess with these folders and the Registry).

I've seen this with lot's of software. Do an upgrade/uninstall, and it leaves behind "orphan" files and settings. Normally, they don't impact the new version. Sometimes 3 or 4 or 5 updates later, you run into a problem. Adobe has an Acrobat scrubbing tool. MS has an Office scrubber too. Perhaps Quicken should make one.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18

@nmestanas - perhaps Revo uninstaller would remove those remnants more thoroughly without having to hunt around?

UPDATE: Decided to give that a try - this is what Revo said it cleaned up after the regular uninstall was complete (you have to click the check box to tell it to scan for remnants when you start the uninstall through Revo)

Don't be alarmed where it says it deleted Folders and Files. It will/did not delete the data file folders or file (including the automatic backup folder)

I set my manual backup reminder to 3, then closed and opened Quicken 3 times.

Walla! It worked! Manual backup reminder is restored.

Thanks to @nmestanas for leading me to a successful path!

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

@jaws2 I posted about the need for some kind of "scrubbing" tool and a reply mentioned the Revo Unistaller. I have it now. Also there's a QCleanUI tool that used to be included with older versions of Quicken. It's still available from @Chris_QPW. I haven't tried either one yet, but I'm going to spin up a VM of Win 10, install Quicken and use these to verify it cleaned everything out.

Glad it worked out for you!! (and me!!!)

• eclark
    eclark Member ✭✭

But what about those of us who don't know half the words in your post? I'd be terrified to try to uninstall and deal with fragments and scrubbing leftovers. It'd be bad news at the end, and I've used Quicken for nearly 30 years. Of course, the automatic reminder is a perk that came along after about 20 years of just remembering to do it on my own. I guess I can handle going back to that. But it's kinda sad.

• jaws2
    jaws2 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18

@eclark - Ha! That's why I suggested and used the Revo Uninstaller. It does the crazy work so you don't have to. Its a free download. It's been around a long time, probably decades as well.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/revo-uninstaller-free-download/

I would suggest you get the free trial of the pro version. Install it and then use it to uninstall quicken. Make sure when you uninstall that you click the box that tells it to scan for remnants.

It will do a complete system backup that can be restored in the remote chance something goes wrong. It also does a complete backup of your registery.

It will then uninsntall Quicken using Quicken's Uninstall, then scan for and remove all the remnants that @nmestanas mentioned he did manually.

Once done, restart your computer. Then log into your quicken account, download the windows quicken installer run it and you should be off and running.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭✭

@eclark I hear ya. I've been a Quicken user for a long time as well. My current file goes back to 2002.

Probably more relevant is how many versions of Quicken have passed through my hard drive since transitioning to the subscription model a few years back. I likely just did an "upgrade/update" rather than a full delete and install. As I mentioned before, perhaps the issue is due to some "conflict" resulting from these past remnants. Who knows what other issues it may create?

Not suggesting this is the cure to other issues but it did fix this one.