BindContent.Exe preventing Quicken from running

Answers

• Jack's iMac
    Jack's iMac Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Thanks again Boat. No, I was never given a reason, just assumed it was the normal issues with new software releases. As I said, I only use Windows for Quicken so in addition to the Parallels subscription it's just another cost. Do you use Windows for other tasks?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jack's iMac - I use a HP Win laptop….it's the only OS that I use (not counting the Android on my Samsung mobile phone) so everything runs off Win 11.

Win 11 launched in Oct 2021. When it first came out many Win 10 users (myself included) took a wait-and-see approach before upgrading to Win 11. There were a few initial release issues identified, which MS quickly corrected, but I don't recall any there being any major issues with it. I jumped on board with Win 11 in Oct 2022…just a year after it was released…and haven't regretted it.

I certainly understand the cost factor for upgrading. I got the Win 11 upgrade for free because MS initially offered free upgrades to all Win 10 users but that free offer has long since expired.

I should add a caveat about suggesting all users of pre-Win 11 should upgrade to Win 11: There are some older Win computers that do not meet the Win 11 minimum system requirements so they cannot be upgraded. MS has a website identifying the minimum requirements for Win 11 and also has a link to a tool that will determine whether or not the system is compatible with Win 11 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/can-i-upgrade-to-windows-11-14c25efc-ecb7-4ce6-a3dd-7e2e24476997). I do not know if this tool works with a Mac system running Parallels.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Jack's iMac

Thank you again for your response. I will check that out.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Since this isn't a problem for Quicken Windows users on Windows computers, it seems to me it's an issue with Parallels rather than with Quicken. Perhaps I missed it somewhere in the thread, but can you clarify what you're currently running:

• Is the Mac a recent vintage model with an Apple processor (M1, M2 or M3), or an older Intel model?
    • What version of macOS are you running?
    • What version of Windows are you running?
    • What version of Parallels are you running?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jack's iMac
    edited September 24

I'm running macOS 15, Windows 10 with Parallels 20. My iMac was updated to OS 15 on September 9 and my configuration worked fine daily until Saturday September 21. Both the qw.exe and BindContent.exe files are dated September 30 and are located in the Quicken program folder. mikegrubbs hasn't provided his setup so I don't know if Parallels is involved or not?

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Quicken Mac Subscription Moderator mod

Hello All,

Please let me know once you have submitted logs.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs Quicken Mac Subscription SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 24

@Jack’s iMac I’d think since you’re running the latest Parallels 20, you’d want to be running Windows 11 rather than Windows 10. I don’t know how extensively Parallels backwards tests for Windows 10.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Boatnmaniac

Is there a way to submit logs without using Help > Report a Problem? The Ops have stated that this issue is preventing them from running Quicken so they cannot access Report a Problem.

• Jack's iMac
    edited September 24

Today I had a 105 minute support call, including screen sharing, with Parallels regarding this issue. He installed Parallels 19 to see if it would resolve this issues and it did not. The rep said that he would report it to his team so, for now, all signs continue to point to Quicken since Parallels, Windows 10 and other apps appear to run without an issue. Jasmine, I'm fairly certain that I submitted logs back on 9/21 when this issue arose.

• Jack's iMac

I am able to run Quicken by answering "no" at the BindContent.exe prompt and then open by clicking File at the top as a workaround.

• Boatnmaniac

I am glad to hear you now have got it to work. The last 2 days you'd posted that you could not open Quicken so that is some progress, at least.

• Jack's iMac

I should clarify this. It was not Quicken but Parallels support personnel who advised against upgrading wo Win 11. Also, I discovered today when sharing my Mac with Parallels support that my 2019 Intel iMac is not compatible with Windows 11.

• defender90rover
    defender90rover Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited September 25

I am experiencing this issue; I am using a MacBook Air M3, with a new clean install of all of the following: MacOS 15.0, Parallels Desktop 20 for Mac, Pro Edition 20.0.1, Windows 11 with all the latest patches. I have tried the latest release of Quicken for Windows as well as several back levels. I get a Yes/No prompt at windows startup to allow changes from BindContent.exe. When I allow, Quicken immediately terminates. If I do not allow, quicken will start and I can select a file to work from, just like Jack's iMac. I will send a bunch of log stuff to quicken, but not sure if it will be useful if no failure occurs. It would be awesome if a Quicken person could call a Parallels person to discuss this. It will take a long time for a fix if only fingers are being pointed ;-)

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Jack's iMac,

In order for me to submit a CBT and forward this issue for further investigation. I will need logs that were submitted within 48 hours.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

• clo100
    clo100 Quicken Windows Subscription Member

After 3 calls and multiple hours talking to Quicken's roulette of a support system that wastes so much of your time, finally got someone who informed me that this is an error they are aware of and are supposed to be working on to correct. A future update - do not know when - is expected to resolve it.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello All,

I am receiving mixed reports of this issue being resolved or still occurring. Who all is still experiencing this issue?

Let me know!

-Quicken Jasmine

• Jack's iMac
    edited September 26

I am. An update was installed this morning but still no change.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

We do now have an active alert regarding being unable to launch Quicken in Windows due to a BindContent Windows pop-up error. You can follow this link to access that alert where you can bookmark it for all further updates.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

• James Ryan
    James Ryan Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    edited September 27

I decided to use Time Machine to go back to the Windows image from early September. With an updated Parallels executable, updated Windows 11 and the old Quicken (R58.14) I am running fine.

• James Ryan

And added note: I tried loading the current Quicken version and then using the procedure to patch to a previous version. Although Quicken reported the previous version number, the BindContext.Exe error still occurred.

• drockmkaer .
    drockmkaer . Member ✭✭

I am having the same issue. Using Parrels windows 11 on an Intel based Mac. Spent 1:30 hours on the phone and was told there is nothing they can do. Have been using this configuration for years.

• Jack's iMac
  • drockmkaer .
    drockmkaer . Member ✭✭

yeah but no eta and I have been unable to do updates for 7 days now.

• Jack's iMac

Drock, the workaround I posted above of selecting "no" and then using the file option to select your data file isn't working for you?

• James Ryan

Drockmkaer, if you can use Time Machine to go back to a previous VM version that will get you by. As Jack sai, you can also just say no to the UAC, but you may be asked for the Quicken username and password every time.

• Jack's iMac

I avoid that by just leaving Quicken open.😂

• drockmkaer .
    drockmkaer . Member ✭✭

The work around isn’t working because it just sits on a blank screen.

To make matters worse there is an issue with Citibank since the 26 where it won’t download anything either.

I had noticed quicken kept crashing after apples released their new OS so was just trying to get that issue resolved today

• Jack's iMac

I've had issues with Citi for over a week. I can't even get past the Citi login window.

• drockmkaer .
    drockmkaer . Member ✭✭

Are you able to get updates from Citi ?
    tried this am and it got stuck on the web browser page. Nada

• Jack's iMac

NO, same here.