Costco Citi Visa Not Updating Quicken again..

I don't update every so not surre when Citi stopped sharing my acct info with Quicken again. I believe they had same problem in August. When I log into quicken to update, all other accounts update as expected. Citi Costco implied I needed to setup my Citi account again which I did. No matter what I did, outside of deleting account, I would get to the consent page and time-out. Also found out no Quicken or tech support on weekends.

Running current win 11 version andd Quicken VERSION R58.14 BUILD 27.2.58.14..

Appreciate confirmation or suggestions.

Best Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

You may follow this link to access an alert regarding issues with CitiBank. I suggest bookmarking the alert for all further updates. Also, to clarify the most recent update on the alert, this issue is still considered ongoing for Citi Cards and Citi Bank.

I apologize for the inconvenience!

Answers

• TomGilbert
    TomGilbert Member ✭✭

I appreciate your detailed instructions and they worked for me. I'm working in Quicken Classic also on a Sunday…

• IKENI24
    IKENI24 Member
    edited September 27

I have a checking, a credit card and a brokerage account with Citibank. Since the beginning of September 2024 I have been unable to download transactions from my Citibank brokerage account. When I tried to reset the account I noticed the financial institution changed from "Citibank" to "Chase" (Another bank I download from) but the XXXXX1234 account number was the correct Citibank account. I have seen Quicken blips before so, I changed the erroneous Chase name back to Citibank and attempted the reset. I was directed to the "Authorize" sign in page on my browser and signed it. I placed a check mark in the box for all my Citibank accounts and even checked the box to add "Future" accounts.

The screen showed I successfully authorized all the accounts but, when I returned back to Quicken, the popup screen "link, add or ignore" only displayed the checking and credit card accounts, my brokerage account did not appear on the screen. I have tried several times. I even tried starting from scratch by creating a new Quicken file with only my Citibank accounts but still had the same problem.

If I only try to add the brokerage account by just checking the brokerage account, I receive a Quicken error "Sign In to Citibank Failed. Try Again."

• irvserve
    irvserve Member ✭✭

I had this problem today and used your fix also. Quicken support should take a look at the issue.

• dccrens
    dccrens Member ✭✭

Great answer from

Boatnmaniac

Worked well

• jimmcd01
    jimmcd01 Member ✭✭

Likewise, worked for me as well. Thanks, Boatmaniac!

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

I'm curious as to why you don't want EWC+ @Boatnmaniac. I can understand not wanting EWC since that requires validation each time. But I have other EWC+ connections, and they work seamlessly (except for rare glitches like this). And my understanding is that they are more secure than DC. So, just a curiosity point.

Cheers.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited September 30

Hello @IKENI24,

To assist with this issue, please provide more information. Which connection option were you using before the account stopped updating? What is the URL that you use when logging in on the financial institution website to view that account?

Also, while this probably isn't the root cause of the issue you're encountering, there is a known connection issue affecting all Citi connection options that may prevent you from reconnecting the account. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to get updates when available and to know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are logged into the Community.

Thank you!

(Ticket #11296799)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27

It's not so much that I don't want EWC+ (I actually do have several accounts set up with EWC+) as it is more a matter of what I prefer and why.

I prefer DC whenever it is available and the FI does not charge a monthly fee for it. It is by far the fastest, most reliable and most secure of all of the online connection methods. It is also much more likely to provide a real time snapshot of transactions and account balances. DC is also a 2-way connection method which means that with some banks we can push bill pay (not to be confused with Quicken's Check Pay and Quick Pay services) and account transfer commands directly from our Quicken software to the bank. This method does not save any of your financial data and FI logins on Quicken's nor the aggregator's (Intuit) servers (unless you have Mobile/Web Sync enabled). So your data is as secure as your computer's connection is with the FI and your hard drive.

The Citi Cards FI supports DC at no cost to me so given the superior reliability, speed and security I will default to the DC connection with Citi Cards.

EWC+ is the next most secure online connection method and generally is a little faster than EWC but it is still slower than DC. EWC+ uses tokens (which is why we are taken to the FI website to authorize the FI to share data with Quicken) instead of login IDs and PWs. When we do OSU, the aggregator will connect with the FI on our behalf and will download and save the financial data on their servers from where it will be downloaded into our Quicken software. We know that the data on the Quicken servers is not simply deleted after download to our Quicken software but we do not know how long Intuit retains that data.

EWC+ is still relatively new and some FIs have become very good at downloading data into Quicken with it whereas others seem to encounter issues doing that with some having significantly more issues with it than others.

Also, with EWC+ some FIs do not permit downloading into Quicken of different accounts from the same FI that have different online set ups (for instance, a husband's accounts have one login while the wife's accounts have a different login). This is a very problematic issue for some people because it means that every time they want to download from accounts caught up in this situation they first need to download from one account and then deactivate it. Then they can reauthorize the other account and download from it. Rinse and repeat the process every time they want to run OSU.

If DC is not available, I generally prefer to set up my connections with EWC+ if it is available because of the security factor. Unless, that is, the FI does not have a reliable EWC+ download process.

EWC is the least secure of the online connection methods. With this method, our logins for our FIs are saved on the aggregator's servers. Then the aggregator will login to the FIs (usually at night) to get the financials downloaded and saved on their servers. It will stay there waiting for us to run OSU or Update Now when it will download into the Quicken software. Again, we do not know how long the aggregator retains that data on their servers. I call it the least secure method because with this method we have given our online accounts logins to a 3rd party where it is retained. I do believe that Intuit is a reputable company and does have some top notch security protocols in place but I am a bit uncomfortable that other businesses and organizations with top notch security protocol businesses have be hacked. So it makes me a little nervous that my logins information is sitting somewhere where I cannot be in total control of it. It is my understanding that it is largely for this reason that FIs are pushing to eliminate EWC and cut in EWC+ instead.

Questions?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

Wow, great information. Maybe I don't really understand DC, but I thought that this made a direct connection to the FI and the login information was exposed during the transaction, making it possible for a third party to gain access. I do see your point about sensitive information stored by Quicken with EWC+, but it seems that the use of tokens reduces risk of transaction data sniffing.

Completely agree on EWC and I'm not fond of places that only offer that.

Cheers.

• DP Florida
    DP Florida Member ✭✭

Seems to work for everyone but me. Pretty sure I followed the directions. Selected the DC and got a Quicken (Not Citibank) pop up to enter ID and Password. Then got this message after it tried to connect.

• Boatnmaniac

DC does provide a direct connection to the FI but Quicken encrypts it so it is a pretty safe connection. Some people also use a VPN to add to the security but if the VPN is not configured properly and/or if it points to a non-US server, then DC (in fact, all OSU services) will not work. Before retirement I would travel to Asia on business 4-6 times a year for 2-4 wks at a time. I always used VPN there, especially when I was in China, the Philippines or Thailand and whenever I was in airports or other public venues. Once I figured out the correct configuration and got the VPN pointed to a US-server then it worked like a charm and the risk of anyone "looking in" on my connection was almost entirely eliminated.

• Dave Chalk
    Dave Chalk Member ✭✭

Thank you Boatnmaniac!

My issue did clear up over the next few days. NO explanation or help form CITI BTW. If the problem reeturns, I will emplys your methods to re-establish my connection with Citi though. Appreciate you jumping in. Thought I was only one still experiencing DC issues with Citi..

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭
    edited September 28

@DP Florida - this same thing just happened to me. It seems that they may have closed down this avenue while they work on their other issue. Maybe DC will be permanently closed based on the "need to relink" comment. But, for now, nothing.

And Quicken had downloaded a new release when I started it, so I was hoping it had a fix.

Cheers.

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭

I am also unable to re-connect to my Citi Credit Card from Costco. I attempt to re-authorize and it connects to the bank but at the end it fails just like everyone else. My problem just started yesterday 9-27-2024 and I am unable to connect to my Citi credit card. I have tried adding a new account using the advance options select DC, web-express and I get the same failure to connect.

Has anyone been successful with re-establishing connection with their Citi credit card and what worked?

• Same issue as of 9/27/24. "CHANNEL_RESET_REQUIRED"

• DP Florida
    DP Florida Member ✭✭

I was able to use the DC approach with a different Citibank card but not my Costco Citibank Card. And I connected the non-Costco card AFTER the Costco card failed.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

@mdeehl

There is no point trying to reconnect or do an update on any Citi related accounts since Quicken has blocked access until they resolve the issue. See this post.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20454256/#Comment_20454256

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28

Then the aggregator will login to the FIs (usually at night) to get the financials downloaded and saved on their servers.

Hi @Boatnmaniac

Great write-up - thank you. I would like to add an observation regarding your comment on the EWC accounts, specific to the data being pulled perhaps nightly. That was the case forever but something has changed where the data can be pulled and downloaded in real time during the course of the day and even multiple times per day - only for some FIs and certain transactions.

I created this post in 2021 that my Venmo (EWC) updates in real time. Since then, I now have three additional FIs (a broker and two banks, combination EWC & EWC+) where certain new transactions download in real-time when they occur. They key is that the transactions must have fully processed - of course. In the case of the broker is certain trades. In the case of the banks are Zelle transactions and Venmo transfers (so far) where Quicken downloads them within minutes. Most (or all?) of Zelle and Venmo transactions process instantaneously I believe.

Thought to share this and perhaps you have more info to add. Regards.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Boatnmaniac

@BK -

I would like to add an observation regarding your comment on the EWC accounts, specific to the data being pulled perhaps nightly. That was the case forever but something has changed where the data can be pulled and downloaded in real time during the course of the day and even multiple times per day - only for some FIs and certain transactions.

Thanks for the compliment and for the additional info. Yes, I've noticed this, too. I've also noticed this most commonly happens when that if OSU or Update Now is done with EWC accounts more than 1X per day. During those successive OSUs and Update Nows any transactions posting since the 1st download will then download. And if your accounts have Pending Transactions enabled any new pending transactions will also download.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 28

For those wishing to download transactions from Citi during this EWC+ "pause", there are a couple of options:

1. WEB CONNECT: Log into your online account and manually download and import transactions in the QFX (also referred to as "Quicken" or "Web Connect") file format. Many are posting that this is working for them as a good workaround for this EWC+ issue for credit card and banking (checking, savings) accounts. I have not heard of anyone saying it works for investment accounts.
    2. DIRECT CONNECT: This is available only for Citi branded credit cards and some Citi co-branded Retail Services and only when using the Citi Cards financial institution. But DC will not be set up unless one clicks on Advanced Options in Add Account and selects Direct Connect. To get to Advanced Options, do not click on the Citi Cards button in Add Account. Instead, type in "Citi Cards" in the search field.

When trying to get DC set up with Citi Cards, if you get an unauthorized error message it means you need to authorize Citi.com to share data with Quicken. To get this set up, log into your Citi.com account and go to the Data Management Hub where you can click on Add Access and follow the prompts. Once completed, you will have 10 minutes to return to Quicken and do Add Account with Advanced Options to completed the DC set up process.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

Thanks @Boatnmaniac

I will note that the above seems not to work for American Airlines co-branded cards. I have two different AA Citi cards and neither seems to work with the DC workaround. OTOH, I use these cards very rarely, so not many changes post. And the QFX download did work.

Cheers.

• Boatnmaniac

Unfortunately, Citi Cards works with some co-branded cards, but not all. My Sears Mastercard does not work with Citi Cards, either, but it is still set up with the EWC connection and it is still working during OSU and Update Now. This all makes me think this is an EWC+ issue, not a DC nor EWC issue.

That being said: If your AA cards do not show up in the Citi.com online account, there is a link there you can use to try to link those cards to Citi.com. I was able to link my AT&T Universal card to Citi.com and it then worked fine with Citi Cards and DC. It can't hurt to try linking them if you have not tried doing that already. If Citi.com accepts the linking then you should be able to use the Citi Cards FI with DC to download into Quicken.

• brpqkn
    brpqkn Member ✭✭

The cards are in my citi.com account (web and app) and show up just fine there. So, they are properly linked to citi.com, but still not open for this DC workaround. The EWC+ issue will get resolved (likely after the weekend), so they will work again in the end.

Cheers.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 29

The posted Alert for this issue has just been updated. It says that the Citi Cards download connection (not other CITI connections, yet) has been fixed.:

I haven't checked this out myself so it would be great if others would confirm this and post the results back here.

• Charlie Davies
    Charlie Davies Member ✭✭✭

I was also having the same issue, but FOUND A DIFFERENT SOLUTION. Instead of trying to use DC, I added a new account and typed in COSTCO in the search field which found the Costco Anywhere Visa Card. I selected it and it went through the same web-based authentication and found my Costco Account and it allowed me to link it to my existing Costco Card register. During OSU, I now see Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi. I tested this on a new Quicken file and all of the transactions were downloaded. The connection method is EWC+. Hope this helps.

• cprgolds
    cprgolds Member ✭✭✭

Even though we have an update that says download for Costco Citi cards should not work, it does not work for me.

I get a message back from Citi saying that access is authorized and Quicken shows a box that says authorization failed.

If I log into the Citi account, it shows authorization to Quicken expiring exactly one year from today.

• aleagle
    aleagle Member ✭✭✭

I had a problem syncing my Costco Citibank accounts until I realized that the account had to be entered as "Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi" rather than "Citicard". It now works fine!

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭

I successfully reconnected and authorized my Costco Citibank visa credit card by adding COSTCO CITIBANK and connecting to my existing linked account.

• cprgolds
    cprgolds Member ✭✭✭

Got it now. Was previously connected through just Citi. Thanks for the tip

This discussion has been closed.