Options

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RickO said:

Marcus...

Please add my request to have the option to use Posted Date instead of Entered Date work an an account-by-account basis (instead of globally as it is now).

Here's why: I find the option VERY useful for accounts that I reconcile monthly against the paper statement. It really eliminates the need to fiddle with transaction dates to make things line up.

However, I reconcile my checking account every few days against the online balance. Doing it this way means the location of the transaction in the timeline really doesn't matter. But with a checking account, checks are sometimes not cashed for weeks or even months after they are written. The Posted Date preference causes these checks to pop up near the top of the register, and this gets the check numbers out of sequence. So if it were possible, I would turn off the Posted Date option for my checking account, but leave it on for all my credit card accounts.

Thanks!

I would word it a little differently, though I think the following is saying the same thing. I would say that the inclusion in the reconciliation window be based on the Posted Date but the default sort order be by the Entry date (as it is in QM2007) yet, I would Allow Adding the Date Posted field and Sorting by it so that users can choose the sort that best works for them (add your vote for this if you agree).

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Earlier in the thread, Marcus stated that the update was available for everyone.  However, when I check for updates in the application, it says my current version 4.3.1 is the most up-to-date version.  Is there another way one is supposed to update (other than Quicken -> Check for Updates ...)?
  • cneal
    cneal Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    thcase said:

Earlier in the thread, Marcus stated that the update was available for everyone.  However, when I check for updates in the application, it says my current version 4.3.1 is the most up-to-date version.  Is there another way one is supposed to update (other than Quicken -> Check for Updates ...)?

The only thing I can think of is if you purchased through the App Store you might want to open the App Store and check for updates.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    thcase said:

I purchased direct from Quicken
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Marcus - this looks like a nice update.  I have a question about "he new Mark All as Reviewed feature" - this is great, but it SURE would be helpful if you indicate how one actually uses the feature...e.g. what do I click on?  I've just this day converted from Quicken Essentials, so I'm not yet savvy on the '17 UI.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Marcus, thank you for hosting this thread. I am going to lobby for my biggest problem. This has to do with how QM is not correctly keeping track of the Cash/Settlement/MMA fund in brokerage accounts (it is called different things, but is the source of money from which cash is added or removed when there are transactions in an account). From past and current posts it seems the problem goes back at least to QM2015 and has never been addressed. I assume this is not a problem with Quicken for Windows. My problem is at Vanguard. 

I have posted on several threads including this one https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/issues-adding-shares-in-quicken-for-mac-2016 which includes screen shots. Please read through this thread! Thank you!

Marcus, I responded in detail to your comments in an attempt to supply more information that might allow you to figure out the problem. I would appreciate it if you can take another look.

I also discovered this thread on the QW forum: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/vanguard-brokerage-account-settlement-fund-sweep...
    It appears to be the same or similar problems related to the settlement account at Vanguard and has participants with longer experience than I have with both Quicken downloading of brokerage account info and Vanguard accounts. I had been assuming this was not a problem with the Windows version. One difficulty with one program with separate non-identical features for Windows and Mac is that it requires someone familiar with both to know what problems are likely to affect both programs. It seems to me this would be some member(s) of the Quicken development team.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    RCinNJ said:

Marcus, thank you for hosting this thread. I am going to lobby for my biggest problem. This has to do with how QM is not correctly keeping track of the Cash/Settlement/MMA fund in brokerage accounts (it is called different things, but is the source of money from which cash is added or removed when there are transactions in an account). From past and current posts it seems the problem goes back at least to QM2015 and has never been addressed. I assume this is not a problem with Quicken for Windows. My problem is at Vanguard. 

I have posted on several threads including this one https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/issues-adding-shares-in-quicken-for-mac-2016 which includes screen shots. Please read through this thread! Thank you!

RCinNJ, I can't help with your issue, but I'd just mention that the Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows development teams are completely separate (I don't believe they're even in the same country!), because the underlying programming environments, databases and tools in Windows and macOS are so completely different. So, yes, this sometimes leads to lack of knowledge across the two different product lines. Connectivity to financial institutions is handled by a third team that deals with both platforms.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tomi
    Tomi Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Experiencing some unusual/inconsistent behavior with the latest version (4.4.1) with the transaction download features.  I download transactions regularly (multiple times per week).  The process completes with no error messages but in the status popup window it provides a status that does not match reality.  For example, it may show 1 transaction downloaded to Visa credit card account, and 0 transactions for all other accounts.  Then when I look at my checking account it found and matched multiple transactions (but didn't update the cleared checkbox like normal).  Not sure what's going on, but it is inconsistent and makes me question accuracy and have to login to verify transactions manually.  Before upgrading to 4.4.1, this feature worked without flaw.
  • John 411
    John 411 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

With respect to budget printing capabilities, I appreciate the scaling feature, and think things could be improved by allowing the user to select what to print.  You'll find more details on this idea here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-choose-months-yearly-data-for-budget-prints-reports

All the budget talk is pointless unless you can budget ALL income and expenses. In particular investment income and expense. When if ever is this flaw going to be worked on? Don't tell me to vote. I have been voting for this ever sense you started doing votes!!
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Budget still does not include investment income, which makes it useless for me. I have posted questions and ideas, , as have others, with no answers. Is this being considered at all? 
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    megnmac said:

Budget still does not include investment income, which makes it useless for me. I have posted questions and ideas, , as have others, with no answers. Is this being considered at all? 

megnmac: The Quicken developers very rarely post here to say what they're working on. so we're left hoping they've seen the comments and votes for this, and that they'll add the capabilities in the future, but there's no way to know if it's something that might appear in next month's update or next year.

If you haven't done this already, one additional feedback channel that goes directly to the development team is the Quicken Mac Feedback page. Take 30 seconds to go to that page and type this request in the "Something not listed? Tell us" box. the more people who tell them that the budget is unusable without this functionality, the greater the change we'll see it added in the future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are there plans for budget category rollover (month to month) like the Windows version has?  Thanks.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Casey said:

Are there plans for budget category rollover (month to month) like the Windows version has?  Thanks.

Casey: As I recently posted above, the Quicken developers very rarely post here, and even more rarely share advance word about what they're working on. There's simply no way to know if this is something that might appear in next month's update, or next year, or...

If you haven't done this already, one feedback channel that goes directly to the development team is the Quicken Mac Feedback page. Take 30 seconds to go to that page and type your request in the "Something not listed? Tell us" box. The more people who tell them *why* the budget function is unusable or difficult to use without this functionality, the greater the change we'll see it added in the future.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am a new Quicken for MAC user....I have been hesitant to switch away from my Windows version until I have heard fairly decent reviews of the newest Mac version.  Right now...I am still running both in parallel, since the interface is so completely different than my QW2014, I am uncertain of what is going on during the online updating process.

How do you get this new release?  It seems that the newest is 4.4.1, and the one I just downloaded yesterday (for which it says it does not have any updates available) is Version 4.3.1 (Build 43.14810.100). TIA 
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am assuming that the "review flag" issue will get re-implemented the same way as windows...persistent until all items have been reviewed/accepted for each account. For me...having a blue dot disappear just because I clicked on the account name, does absolutely nothing.  

I also do not understand how to get back the review pane for each of the accounts. It seems that the only option is for downloaded transactions to be auto-entered...I do not see a preference to change that. It seems to auto enter into the register without me having the list to reconcile with "match manually", "new", or to accept the auto match. Is this a preference setup somewhere?  

And just for the record....I hate the missing 2 line register option (and yes I have voted on the appropriate page!)
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    Options
    On the tool bar click on Quicken, then check for updates..should have access to the latest update.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I am a new Quicken for MAC user....I have been hesitant to switch away from my Windows version until I have heard fairly decent reviews of the newest Mac version.  Right now...I am still running both in parallel, since the interface is so completely different than my QW2014, I am uncertain of what is going on during the online updating process.

How do you get this new release?  It seems that the newest is 4.4.1, and the one I just downloaded yesterday (for which it says it does not have any updates available) is Version 4.3.1 (Build 43.14810.100). TIA 

Did you purchase Quicken Mac 2017 from the Mac App Store, or elsewhere?

If from the Mac App Store, you must update it through the app store. I'm not sure 4.4.1 is available there yet, so it may be a few days.

If you purchased elsewhere, then menu Quicken > Check for Update should give you 4.4.1 as it has been fully released. If not, then you should contact Quicken support (menu Help > Contact Support).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

Just curious what if any benefit there would be to purchase QM thru the MAC App Store. 
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

None that I know of. Well, I suppose one advantage is that you know that Apple reviewed the software so it is more likely to be free of malware. And there's the fact that you have all your purchases listed in one place.

But there are many disadvantages. One, as mentioned here, is that software updates are delayed as compared to the developer's website. Also, developers can pull their products from the app store at any time, leaving you no source to re-download or update it. And apps in the store are sometimes crippled, or just not available, due to Apple's restrictions. And Apple's cut of the price means that developers get less $ to potentially use for further development. Some products, like Quicken, can be found cheaper elsewhere.

For these reasons, I never purchase from the Mac App Store unless it's the only source for the software.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

Yup..totally in agreement. Amazon has excellent prices for QM, the product is fully supported with the Quicken folks from Amazon
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I purchased from Amazon.  When I check for updates, it just says "You're up to date!" Quicken 2017 4.3.1 is currently the newest version available"
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

There's a post from Marcus (the Quicken Mac product manager) last week saying 4.4.1 was now available to all users via all channels (e.g. direct and the Mac App store). So I'm pretty puzzled why it wouldn't download the update from 4.3.1 for Jennifer.

Jennifer: If you still can't get the update, you might want to contact Quicken Support to inquire why. Unless they've found users reporting a problem they want to get fixed, and turned off the 4.4.1 update (which would be rare after a general release), I'm not sure why it wouldn't be available to you.

As buying from the Mac App Store, I'd agree with the comments above that there is no reason to do so. Whether you buy direct from Quicken, form Amazon, or from some other retailer, all are usually cheaper than the full retail price on the App Store; all retail copies of the app get the updates sooner; the updates inform you automatically when they're available, and require just two button clicks to install; there's no problem with getting updates after the end of the annual cycle (e.g. when Quicken moves on to 2018) if you buy anywhere but the App store.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Casey said:

I did - followed your link, voted on 2, and added my rollover as a 3rd.  Thanks much, Jacobs.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options

On the tool bar click on Quicken, then check for updates..should have access to the latest update.

Yes I did that of course!  It says it is up to date with 4.3.1
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I will contact Quicken Support as soon as they reopen after the Holidays.  Not a big rush :-)
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

Jennifer: I agree that there's probably no urgent rush for the latest release; I'd just note that Quicken phone support is still open tonight until 8 Eastern/5 Pacific, and chat support is open round-the-clock until 5 Eastern/2 Pacific tomorrow.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It also seems weird that when I am in any specific account, it doesn't show me the last online connection time and online amount (again...I am used to the information being presented as in QW2014 and prior versions)  These probably seem like nitpicks, but I guess I have gotten used to a certain workflow with downloading, reviewing and reconciling.
  • megnmac
    megnmac Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    megnmac said:

I did, but I'll do it again.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I am assuming that the "review flag" issue will get re-implemented the same way as windows...persistent until all items have been reviewed/accepted for each account. For me...having a blue dot disappear just because I clicked on the account name, does absolutely nothing.  

I also do not understand how to get back the review pane for each of the accounts. It seems that the only option is for downloaded transactions to be auto-entered...I do not see a preference to change that. It seems to auto enter into the register without me having the list to reconcile with "match manually", "new", or to accept the auto match. Is this a preference setup somewhere?  

And just for the record....I hate the missing 2 line register option (and yes I have voted on the appropriate page!)

argh...tried again today with some newly downloaded transactions...there is no way to manually make a downloaded transaction match a transaction that was already entered in the register...even after changing the amount and date to match exactly. This auto-entry is very cumbersome and annoying.  I want to be able to turn off auto entry and I want to decide what gets matched.  

And why did we go away from the traditional naming convention of "c" for cleared" and "R" for reconciled?  Why now do I have to remember a blue check mark and a green check mark????  SIGH....feeling frustrated.
  • RickO
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

Are you dragging the downloaded transaction on top of the one manually entered? This is how you manually match. Quicken will learn you matches if you keep doing this.

As for the checkmarks, since the blue ones are always more recent and the green ones are older, it's not hard to remember which is which (at least for me).
This discussion has been closed.