Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.4.1 Released

Options

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I am assuming that the "review flag" issue will get re-implemented the same way as windows...persistent until all items have been reviewed/accepted for each account. For me...having a blue dot disappear just because I clicked on the account name, does absolutely nothing.  

I also do not understand how to get back the review pane for each of the accounts. It seems that the only option is for downloaded transactions to be auto-entered...I do not see a preference to change that. It seems to auto enter into the register without me having the list to reconcile with "match manually", "new", or to accept the auto match. Is this a preference setup somewhere?  

And just for the record....I hate the missing 2 line register option (and yes I have voted on the appropriate page!)

Jennifer, I hear your frustration.  It seems any new piece of software has its own idiosyncrasies relative to what we had been used to.  I'd been on QM2007 for about 10 years, and it's taken me awhile to grow familiar and accustomed to the changes in QM2017.  As you grow more familiar with its operation, I hope you'll find it more helpful.  It's not perfect, but they are working hard to better its operation and functionality.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jen said:

I am assuming that the "review flag" issue will get re-implemented the same way as windows...persistent until all items have been reviewed/accepted for each account. For me...having a blue dot disappear just because I clicked on the account name, does absolutely nothing.  

I also do not understand how to get back the review pane for each of the accounts. It seems that the only option is for downloaded transactions to be auto-entered...I do not see a preference to change that. It seems to auto enter into the register without me having the list to reconcile with "match manually", "new", or to accept the auto match. Is this a preference setup somewhere?  

And just for the record....I hate the missing 2 line register option (and yes I have voted on the appropriate page!)

Having transitioned to QM16 from Qw I can feel your pain. The product however is under constant improvements as a result the new Quicken ownership. The Quicken Management has promised parity with QW but its a long road ahead. Suspect it will take at least 2 yrs min to reach some form of parity with QW
  • Donald E. Kaye
    Donald E. Kaye Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't understand why more effort isn't put into your Report Generator.  Until it has the flexibility of Quicken 2007 the new versions of Quicken are useless to me.  For example, right now only dates are available as columns.  I need to be able to do other things with columns, like tags as columns.  I have multiple properties, and with Quicken 2007 I can get a Summary Report of ALL properties for any time period with the bottom line number in the lower right hand corner of the report.  I can also drill into any line item of any property and get its detail.  No underlying detail is available from any of your reports.

In Quicken 2007 you could set up sub classes. This was useful in getting a report on, for  example, a specific trip you might take.  This trip could be categorized under vacations.  So what I am asking for is "Sub Tag" availability for Quicken 2017.

Solving these 2 issues for me (and other people) would make changing over to Quicken 2017 possible.  Until then, the program will sit unused in my Application's Folder.
  • Deborah Edson
    Deborah Edson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nice new features. Great that these items are being addressed. I only wish they were implemented completely.

Auto-Backup: why could it not be implemented with the option to choose how many backup copies, like in QM2007?

New Transaction Account Sidebar Indicator: What is the criteria that makes the blue dot go away? Without that piece of information how are we to know what it means, if it is working correctly, or what the process is to manage or control it?

Preference to Turn Off Auto-Opening Splits: why could this not be implemented to control separately the behaviour when open a split vs when to close a split, like in QM2007, and how it was requested 3 1/2 months ago here: Expanding split transactions  and detailed here?

I like some of these improvements but I would strongly suggest that when you implement a feature that has existed before, like in QM2007, that you make it at least as complete as the original, If you choose to improve on it and add more, that is great. But to deliver less than the original is simply frustrating! I can understand delivering a feature in multiple stages when it is more complex but I just do not see the reason for these partial implementations, especially if the feature is a small one. 

You shouldn't be too excited, it is horrible and although I have fumbled my way through it, it was very frustrating to figure out what everything in all the menus meant. I had to enable something then see what happened in my checking register to see if I liked it, needed it and then had to go back to the list and uncheck it.  I will not recommend this to anyone.  And another thing, why is there no blank space at the bottom of the checking register, why do I have to click the + to enter a new transaction when before I just had to start typing in the blank space.  Also, imagine my panic when I finally realize I had to click the + and it opened a new line over a previous transaction. NOT A GOOD IDEA, WHY ON EARTH DID SOMEONE THINK THAT WAS NEW AND IMPROVED.  Anyway, just my opinion and experience.  Remember newfangled bells and whistles are not always improvements, sometimes simpler is better.  Changing an action to 2 or more moves to do the same thing you used to be able to do in 1 move is NOT an improvement. It is making something take longer to do than it did before.
    Thank you for your time and put the blank transaction line back at the bottom of the checking register.  
    Debbie
    PS this is was my experience switching from Quicken 2007 to 2016, then 2017.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Nice new features. Great that these items are being addressed. I only wish they were implemented completely.

Auto-Backup: why could it not be implemented with the option to choose how many backup copies, like in QM2007?

New Transaction Account Sidebar Indicator: What is the criteria that makes the blue dot go away? Without that piece of information how are we to know what it means, if it is working correctly, or what the process is to manage or control it?

Preference to Turn Off Auto-Opening Splits: why could this not be implemented to control separately the behaviour when open a split vs when to close a split, like in QM2007, and how it was requested 3 1/2 months ago here: Expanding split transactions  and detailed here?

I like some of these improvements but I would strongly suggest that when you implement a feature that has existed before, like in QM2007, that you make it at least as complete as the original, If you choose to improve on it and add more, that is great. But to deliver less than the original is simply frustrating! I can understand delivering a feature in multiple stages when it is more complex but I just do not see the reason for these partial implementations, especially if the feature is a small one. 

yes, I agree!  Why isn't there a blank line?  It freaked me out too!  Makes me think that the new programming team has never used the actual software before or even has an accounting background.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Options

Just hit Cmd-N on the keyboard to enter a new transaction (even while entering the previous one). The blank line actually took longer for me since you have to grab the mouse and click in the blank line. I would find that very annoying now that I'm used to QM2017.

P.S. If you want a different keyboard shortcut, you can easily change it in System Preferences > Keyboard > App Shortcuts.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

Marcus,

Have not seen 4.4.1 yet? Is it still in progress?

Why does my QM2017 show this?

• Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

Marcus,

yes, me too
  • Deborah Edson
    Deborah Edson Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well not me because I already have my mouse in my hand usually.  However, I will try the cmd-n that seems better than the clicking the +.  Ok just tried it, I like that much better, but still want that blank line back. I did go to where you said to go to above in system preferences but have no idea what to do once I get there. It just says all All applications and then under that show help menu is checked but thanks anyway
    Debbie 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Eagle22 said:

Marcus,

Marcus...

FYI, I just (today) re-downloaded QM2017 from my Account on Quicken's web site. The version I show above is what's also coming off Quicken's Download server.

[I did my upgrade from QM2016 to QM2017 on 12/29/16 and received v4.3.1.]

According to your comment of two weeks ago (as of this writing), shouldn't v4.4.1 be available for direct Download (if not available through Check for Updates)?
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    thcase said:

Earlier in the thread, Marcus stated that the update was available for everyone.  However, when I check for updates in the application, it says my current version 4.3.1 is the most up-to-date version.  Is there another way one is supposed to update (other than Quicken -> Check for Updates ...)?

And I purchased from Amazon and get the same message of no update available.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Options
    thcase said:

Earlier in the thread, Marcus stated that the update was available for everyone.  However, when I check for updates in the application, it says my current version 4.3.1 is the most up-to-date version.  Is there another way one is supposed to update (other than Quicken -> Check for Updates ...)?

It appears they have cut off downloads of 4.4.1. They might do this if users have reported a bug they consider important enough to fix before allowing more people to download it. (It doesn't matter whether you purchased from Quicken, Amazon, or some other retail source -- anything except the Mac App Store gets downloads from the same Quicken server.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    Options

Here are the instructions for creating new keyboard shortcuts in an app:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25377?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Will the mac 2017 work on apple iPad with ios10.2
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Options

The answer is no; you can however interface your iPad via the mobile apps. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Just started working on my taxes.  Can't seem to get the category "IRA Draw" to appear on the tax report.  The category is identified in my category list as tax related.  If I search "all transactions" for the category, it shows up as expected.  At one point in a previous release I think this category was properly showing up in the tax report. Am I wrong?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Options

Alton: Quicken Mac is written for macOS, and won't run on an iOS device, just as Quicken Windows requires a Windows computer. There is no version of Quicken for an iPad/iOS. What there is for iOS devices is a free "Quicken Mobile Companion" app, which allows you to sync your desktop Quicken data with the iOS device to view and to enter transactions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

Just started working on my taxes.  Can't seem to get the category "IRA Draw" to appear on the tax report.  The category is identified in my category list as tax related.  If I search "all transactions" for the category, it shows up as expected.  At one point in a previous release I think this category was properly showing up in the tax report. Am I wrong?

Do you have the proper tax line assignment for the category - should be 1099-R:Total IRA taxable distrib.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I downloaded QMAC17 a couple of days ago and got version 4.3.1.  When I check for new updates from the Quicken Menu bar, I get" You are up to date.  Quicken 2017 4.3.1 is currently the newest version available."  Is there a secret handshake?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Has anyone found that the download date of a transaction overwrites the original date in the register? So if I manually enter a transaction for today (1/4) and the matching transaction gets downloaded 5 days (1/9) from now, the date gets changed to 5 days(1/9) from now. Prior to this release update the date would stay what I entered and only the download date would reflect the actual date the transaction came down. Now with the changing dates - my check numbers are out of sequence.
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephen said:

Has anyone found that the download date of a transaction overwrites the original date in the register? So if I manually enter a transaction for today (1/4) and the matching transaction gets downloaded 5 days (1/9) from now, the date gets changed to 5 days(1/9) from now. Prior to this release update the date would stay what I entered and only the download date would reflect the actual date the transaction came down. Now with the changing dates - my check numbers are out of sequence.

This is a new option in the latest release. It sets the date of the transaction to the banks posting date (not actually the download date). It's helpful to keep transactions matching the reconcile time period. But the option can be turned off in menu Quicken > Preferences.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephen said:

Thank you. That did it.
  • RickO
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephen said:

BTW, If you were to choose to leave this option on, you can turn on the "Entered" column and then quickly switch the sort order between regular Date and Date Entered by clicking the column header.

Conversely, if you turn this option off, you can enable the Posted column and click that header to see transactions in posted order.

I prefer the former (leaving the option on) since it helps with reconcile.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephen said:

great idea. Thanks again
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stephen said:

only problem with using entered seems to be recurring transactions show an entered date of when they were first added. This throws the sort off. Think Ill stick with it off and use posted date together with date.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Alton Smith Note too that Quicken Mobile is limited to sync cash, credit card, and bank accounts, budgets and some investment data.

If you want the full feature of Quicken, you can use remote access software (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken via mobile devices (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ). Though this article was written primarily with Macs in mind, there are many solutions offered that work for Windows too. The advantage of these solutions is that you retain access to all the features of Quicken, unlike Quicken Mobile. The trade-off is that the host computer cannot really be used for anything else while using Quicken with these remote solutions. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm from Canada. Can I use this version? Thanks.
  • Jen112
    Jen112 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Does anyone have a status on what the issue is that caused them to stop the update to 4.4.1 from being able to be download? 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Jen said:

Does anyone have a status on what the issue is that caused them to stop the update to 4.4.1 from being able to be download? 

being investigated...waiting on reply....

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm from Canada. Can I use this version? Thanks.

Yes...many Canadians are. To purchase QM2017 outside the US, see a detailed reply here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2015-mac-international-accounts?reply_id...
    Once you go to the link above, click Follow to receive any further updates on this topic.

Also consider this: https://www.quicken.com/support/registering-using-address-outside-united-states

The only things to realize is that there is no link to Canadian QuickTax and Quicken Mobile is not supported in Canada (to read about the use of Quicken Mobile outside the US, see a detailed reply here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2015-mac-international-accounts?topic-re...)

This discussion has been closed.