Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.5.3 Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!

As jacobs and smayer97 pointed out, we release in stages.  We release to a few thousand and then wait and see if there are issues.  The primary information we can see immediately is if people crash.  If you crash and are prompted, please click OK so we can see it and fix it as soon as possible.  We're seeing a handful of crashes in loans and so we're holding off until we can fix them.   For those of you who have taken 4.5,  please report any issues you may run into in this forum post.  We do extensive testing internally and with our beta team but because people's data varies by a lot, we don't always catch everything.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Gilles said:

Ok I got 4.5, works well
    what is confusing is that you mention 4.5.1 is released, I suppose for 4.5 version
    and 4.5.2 is next
    But I do not get update for 4.5.1
    and 4.5.2 is not updating my 4.5 either

Gilles, great question.  We released 4.5 on Thursday morning PST and saw a few people run into crashes in the new loan feature.  We decided to stop the release and go back and fix those issues.  We fixed the crashes that people ran into and released 4.5.1 at the end of our work day on Friday and then turned off the release pretty quickly to limit the total number of people with the release.  You wouldn't have seen the upgrade notice to 4.5.1 unless you used the product in that short window on Friday evening when we turned it on.  The good news is that the crashes we fixed didn't re-occur.  The bad news is there were still people crashing.  We're now fixing those issues and should be able to release again to a small group of people today 5/1 which we'll call 4.5.2.  We'll continue to do this until it looks like things are sorted out and again you'll only get the upgrade notice if you just happen to be using the product at the exact same time when we turn it on.   Thanks for your patience.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

Loans is one of the features that I have been looking forward to having moved from QW.  I am really excited.  Thanks.

When I setup a loan, the principal + interest calculation doesn't always equal the true total monthly loan payment.  I used the pencil to manually enter my true monthly loan payment amount and the difference is allocated to Extra Principal.  However, the amount isn't really "extra principal".  

In QW, you had the ability to edit the total payment amount and thereafter, the principal + interest calculations would adjust accordingly.  Thereafter, you could add a value for true "extra principal".  

Not certain which methodology (QM or QW) provides the best result.  However, I am hoping that once I post the transaction in a few days, I will have the ability to adjust the principal + interest amounts appropriately.  

Kuddos to the Mac Development Team.  I also enjoy the UX enhancements (e.g. clear filters).

We modeled our behavior after QWin.  The only thing that matters is that the interest paid each month is 100% accurate since this is what ultimately determines how much your balance is reduced.  From a math perspective, anything left over from your monthly payment after interest is taken out is considered principal and in turn, reduces your loan balance.

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get everything 100% accurate because of rounding issues.  From our testing, it appears different institutions use different rounding algorithms and a different number of decimal places to do calculations which also alters things slightly.  You did the exact right thing by using the pencil to change the calculated payment to match your payment.   If your loan provider gives you an updated amortization table based on your current balance, check the interest amount and make sure that matches the amortization table Quicken generates since this impacts your balance going forward.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    J. Holmes said:

From the release notes above, there is not suppose to be any new budget features.  However, when I was playing around with the budget, I had the ability to select "Transfer" as a category.  The default Transfer category is associated with credit card payments.  

Can you now budget for Transfer:  Credit Card Payment in this new release?  On a side note, when I go back in to edit my budget and select/unselect categories, I no longer see Transfer as a category.  

Is this future functionality that slipped into this release or something that was added in a prior release that I missed.  Either way, it does not seem like the functionality is fully functional.  I use Transfer:  Credit Card Payment for all my credit card payments.  Generally regardless if I budget an amount for a category or not, you can see the actual spending in the far right column.

This might be a bug.  We have not added the ability to track transfers in budgets yet.  We understand this is a need but haven't worked on it yet. 
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

I am using 4.5.1 Prior to this I could select a Web Connect Account and type Command U and I would be taken to the financial site to download the Web Connect file. It is now greyed out and cannot use the command.

Direct Connect accounts are the only ones I can use Command-U with now (4.5.0). Web Connect and Quicken Connect accounts both have that command disabled.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

I am using 4.5.1 Prior to this I could select a Web Connect Account and type Command U and I would be taken to the financial site to download the Web Connect file. It is now greyed out and cannot use the command.

Is only the Cmd-U keyboard shortcut disabled, or is the Update Selected Online Account in the Accounts menu disabled (grayed out)?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

The mortgage loan feature will be VERY much appreciated! Is there a timeline for when we will see other simple loan types supported (in particular: auto loans)?

Also, is there any chance you've added some way to search all transactions (including hidden accounts)? Very frequently I am trying to find history of some old purchase in an account I no longer use (so it is hidden). An option to temporarily show hidden account in the "All Transactions" window would allow this.

Thanks for the hard work adding these new features!

We don't think most auto loans will work correctly.  If you have an auto loan that works like a mortgage then it should work fine where the payment period defines the interest calculations.  What we've found is that many auto loans appear to use a method of calculating interest called daily simple interest but have a monthly payment period.  The way this works is that a daily interest amount is calculated based on the current balance of the loan.  This amount is applied daily until another payment is received at which point a new daily interest is calculated and the process starts over again.  This is different from a mortgage where the balance that is used to calculate interest is typically only recalculated at the end of the payment period.  Paying a few days early on a mortgage doesn't change the interest paid for that month.  Alternatively, making a payment on a car loan early actually does materially change the interest paid because the balance is reduced when a payment is received and the daily interest amount is reduced going forward.  The bottom line is there's a little more work we have to do to make this work the way we think it should and the plan is to get that into version 4.6.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

Thanks for reporting this.  It sounds like a bug.  We disabled Update Selected Online Accounts for Quicken Connect accounts because they cannot be updated individually.  All Quicken Connect accounts are updated at the same time but this shouldn't have affected Web Connect accounts.  Web Connect and Direct Connect accounts can be updated individually.  I'll see if we can get an update in asap.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

The mortgage loan feature will be VERY much appreciated! Is there a timeline for when we will see other simple loan types supported (in particular: auto loans)?

Also, is there any chance you've added some way to search all transactions (including hidden accounts)? Very frequently I am trying to find history of some old purchase in an account I no longer use (so it is hidden). An option to temporarily show hidden account in the "All Transactions" window would allow this.

Great to hear that a 4.6 at minimum will be released before 5.0. I look forward to additional great improvements like these for more of the key features and fixes we are all looking for!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

When I updated to 4.5.1 I immediately started to use the new loan feature. I ran into some major problems where i could no longer launch the application until i used a backup of my current Quicken file. I assume it became corrupt and caused the crash. Once i started fresh I was able to repeat my steps and continue. I did run into an issue where i could only use “Years” for loan length. When ever I would try another unit no matter how many months it would force the loan to be paid off in 1 year. ie i selected 120 months which should have been 10 years. It would set up payments such that it would be paid off in 1 year. I had to select 10 years in order for the payments to actually be displayed as 10 years. This was with a loan type “Loan”. I also tried 120 payments but with same results.

I think we have a fix for this issue in 4.5.3 which we'll release tomorrow or Wed.  Sorry, we should have caught that one.  Our test team tested all of those parameters but a recent change broke it and we didn't know that change would affect those calculations.  The bottom line is we missed it.  Thanks for reporting it.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

There are problems with the buttons for the Budget. See screen capture with notes. If you click the center button it does not give you the view of current month/year but for me it set it to Jan/2016. After many clicks to get to todays date, if I leave the budget screen and go to anything else say Home Screen then come back the right button sets it to March/2016 image

Ugh!  You're right.  The dot should go to the current month.  It's basically going to the 1st month of your budget.  I'm not sure why that changed but it's a bug.  I'll write it up and we'll get it fixed asap.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

I beleive there is an issue with the Splits. The Refine First Line mode seems to only work correctly if i save the entry and then go back into it. If for example i create a new expense with a greater than zero expense int eh total field, my first line also contains the primary category if i start adding more categories what it does is add a third category to offset the newly added amount. If i delete the new amount with the (-) button it will then increase the overall total. Only if I save the entry first then go back in with the split button does it work correctly where it will subtract from the first line main category to keep the total constant . I did look through the help section and as i read the help file this does not sound like it is working correctly. It appears to be working as described in the last paragraph of the “What New” section for splits.

We really narrowed when the Refine 1st Line mode would appear because of the number of complaints we received about accidentally getting into that mode.  As it's designed, it's really geared for connected accounts when the payee, category, and total are downloaded.  The idea is to be able to create a one off split from a transaction that is basically already correct.  Our thinking was that if you were creating a manually entered transaction where you have to type all of that stuff in, then the Refine 1st Line mode wouldn't be as useful and that you could either enter in the split lines separately and let the total reflect the sum of the splits or the remainder mode would work.  It sounds like you wanted to use the Refine 1st Line mode for a manually entered transaction so I would love to hear your thoughts on it more and why it would be useful to you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was working with budgeting today and really strange behavior. I have what is normally expenses showing up in my Income Field. This is on the 1 month view. This is very bizarre behavior.image
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

Marcus... This is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Even if all Quicken Connect accounst must be updated together, this change will force the user to update ALL direct connect accounts  just to get one QC account updated. In my case, I have one QC account and approx 20 DC accounts. Some of those DC accounts are a problem if I update them too frequently. 

So, if you are going to remove the Update Selected Account for QC accounts, then you need to add a menu item that allows updating QC accounts only, WITHOUT forcing the update of all DC accounts along with them.

PLEASE!

Suggested fix: Leave the Update Selected Account menu item as is when DC and WC accounts are selected. Change the text of that menu item to "Update All Quicken Connect Accounts" when a QC account is selected. 

Now that I think of it, the menu item should change to "Update All Bank-Name Accounts" when you have a DC account selected which has other DC accounts with the same bank, since these will be updated together as well.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

I was working with budgeting today and really strange behavior. I have what is normally expenses showing up in my Income Field. This is on the 1 month view. This is very bizarre behavior.image

Looks like it is sorting alphabetical... maybe there is a setting to sort by Income vs Expense?  I saw that option in the Budget Report.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

I beleive there is an issue with the Splits. The Refine First Line mode seems to only work correctly if i save the entry and then go back into it. If for example i create a new expense with a greater than zero expense int eh total field, my first line also contains the primary category if i start adding more categories what it does is add a third category to offset the newly added amount. If i delete the new amount with the (-) button it will then increase the overall total. Only if I save the entry first then go back in with the split button does it work correctly where it will subtract from the first line main category to keep the total constant . I did look through the help section and as i read the help file this does not sound like it is working correctly. It appears to be working as described in the last paragraph of the “What New” section for splits.

I do not normally enter manually. I was only testing and created some fake entries manually and did not realize it was geared towards the downloaded transaction only. I will have to test out on a downloaded transaction. 
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

Just to clarify my previous post: by trying to prevent the user from updating all QC accounts when trying to only update one, you have effectively forced users to update ALL DC accounts just to get one QC account updated. This is a significant regression in flexibility. There is a better way, as I suggest above.

Disclaimer: I don't have 4.5.x yet. I'm going by what's been described here and assuming there is not an additional "update" menu item added to handle updating only all QC accounts. If my assumption is wrong, please tell me.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Got the update alert for 4.5.1& 2 a few hrs back. Just tried to update( of course I am backed up to the hilt). Update no longer available. Did they pull it?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

@rick, they may have pulled the update due to issues being reported here.Might be for the better
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options

Got the update alert for 4.5.1& 2 a few hrs back. Just tried to update( of course I am backed up to the hilt). Update no longer available. Did they pull it?

Search this post for "4.5.3" and you'll see where it's at.
  • RickO
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

Well, yes, they pulled it for different reasons. Marcus has acknowledged that WC accounts should not have been excluded from single account update. But that's not my issue (which is that they have, presumably inadvertently, removed the ability to update QC accounts without updating DC accounts too).
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

When I updated to 4.5.1 I immediately started to use the new loan feature. I ran into some major problems where i could no longer launch the application until i used a backup of my current Quicken file. I assume it became corrupt and caused the crash. Once i started fresh I was able to repeat my steps and continue. I did run into an issue where i could only use “Years” for loan length. When ever I would try another unit no matter how many months it would force the loan to be paid off in 1 year. ie i selected 120 months which should have been 10 years. It would set up payments such that it would be paid off in 1 year. I had to select 10 years in order for the payments to actually be displayed as 10 years. This was with a loan type “Loan”. I also tried 120 payments but with same results.

Marcus prudent of you to hold off with further releases until this one is fixed.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks Rick I see it
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

We will continue to refine loans until we're at a happy place.  There are also a few other things that we want to improve in 2017 but to set expectations appropriately there won't be any major new features on the same scale as loans.   A large portion of our team is already working on the next release.  Unfortunately, there's a ton of under-the-hood work to continue the process of technically separating ourselves from Intuit.  If we do everything right, most people won't notice but it's a lot of infrastructure work which means we aren't working on the other QWin and Q2007 feature gap work we want to do.  Anyway, there's more to come.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's not up anymore.  If you get the update alert and don't dismiss it, you will still be able to update it even if it's hours later.  People just won't get the update message anymore.  
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

@Concordman, they don't generally "pull" these releases, but they limit them to a small group of users at a time. That allows the development team to see if problems surface which weren't discovered during beta testing -- or in some cases, like this one apparently, got added in late in development while fixing something else. Because this 4.5 version contains a major new feature, lots of enhancements and tweaks in other areas, and many bug fixes, it's not surprising that some bugs trickled through. This staged release process allows them to immediately pounce on a reported problem and fix it -- within a day sometimes, as we've seen twice since late last week.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

We don't have that option on the Mac version.  

Thomas, I haven't been able to reproduce that issue.  What were you doing before this happened?  If you quit and go back to it, does it correct itself or is it still in a bad state?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

Yah.  I should have been most explicit in the notes. Thanks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

@Concordman, the reason you didn't get the update a few hours after you skipped over the update-available notice was not that the release was pulled, but that all the copies available for this limited stage of release were downloaded by other users by the time you tried to get it. (I explain why they do this in this response to one of your other posts.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jacobs, interesting , keep learning more & more here. FWIW, I am happy to get bumped based on the issues being reported here.
This discussion has been closed.