Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.5.3 Released

Options

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Has 4.5x been released to everyone? I still have 4.4.3 and haven't been offered an update. 

It's really no different than anyone who downloads an iOS update, macOS update, MS Office update, etc. on the first day they're available. It either works okay, or if there's a bug affecting a lot of people or with really bad impact, they pull the release and rush out a quick fix. In Quicken's case, they simply build in a planned pause on Day One to see if there are any reports of such a problem, so they can avoid inconveniencing the entire user base.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Has 4.5x been released to everyone? I still have 4.4.3 and haven't been offered an update. 

Rolling out an OS update isn't the same as a Quicken Mac update...because a specific number of users are allowed to "beta" test the update and then if all goes well enough, Quicken releases it to everyone.

In an OS update, Win or Mac, it's released to everyone.  

I still don't like the idea of Quicken having it's users unknowingly be beta testers for their software. 
  • jacobs
    edited May 2017
    Options

I think you missed my point. We're essentially all beta testers for all software. Apple and Microsoft release software with bugs and then release patches; in the worst cases, they have halted releases when critical bugs have surfaced quickly.

How would it be better if Quicken released to everyone at once? If a problem is discovered -- as was the case with this latest Mac release -- tens of thousands of people would have updated and then needed a fix; instead, only one thousand people got it before the problem was discovered. Why do you think it's worse that everyone didn't get the release right away?
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The new feature to adjust the transaction total to the sum of the current split values is a nice upgrade. Especially handy for entering long splits, as well as for going back into a split to add a new value. Very easy to delete the remainder split line and have the total update. Good job. 

Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Like the Category Summary report, the new Transaction Summary report also ignores ReinvDiv, Reinv LT/ST CG, and LT/ST CG, while recognizing interest income and dividends paid but not reinvested. I backtested the report to last year to confirm non-recognition of capital gains categories. All tags and payees are set to "none" in the customization window. 

Too bad...opportunity to do it right on the first go but come up short...here's waiting some more for full-featured reporting. It is moving forward, but sometimes the wait is so long, increasing the risk for us QM2007 hold-backs.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Given the feature and usage issues being experienced and discussed in is this overall Thread, these 4.5.x versions are Betas, not gold-standard iterations with just a few, minor bugs. And, given the nature of Quicken's limited release approach, all those early 4.5.x versions should have been labeled as Betas  and thus, informing and enabling knowledgeable decisions about proceeding.
  • jacobs
    edited May 2017
    Options

So what is your solution? This release had been in beta for a long time; it *was* beta tested. The Quicken team thought it was ready for release. And then it turned out as more people started using it that there were issues that didn't come up during beta testing. So what's the solution? Fire the beta testers for not having loan accounts that exposed the issues that showed up after wider release? Call every release a beta to cover their butts just in case there's an issue?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Call every release a beta to cover their butts just in case there's an issue?
    No but if a release is not a wide release, most other companies do call this a beta release, so they might seriously consider doing the same. As Matt suggests here, it is simply about making the process more visible, with an opt-in approach. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Ditto
  • Elarie
    Elarie Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Will there be a Canadian version of Quicken for Mac 2017?
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    zwzlife said:

Where is new Loan feature? Our mortgage has been paid off, but we do have a Line of Credit.

Thanks Marcus. This made it clear.
  • zwzlife
    zwzlife Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Elarie said:

Quicken for Mac is for both US and Canadian. I am a Canadian user, and the application works great. We cannot download transactions from most of the Canadian banks directly, and have to use the Web download, but this is not a Quicken issue.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Elarie said:

You can download from all the major ones, and a few smaller ones too. The only thing that would be unique to a Canadian version is having links from categories to tax forms. But there is no Mac version of TurboTax for Canada.

So I would advise keeping the current so-called US version of QMac and adding any features you think may be unique to Canada, as has been the case with older versions of QMac.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Week three, day three, since the 4.5 debut.  Still no offer to update.  How much longer to the public release? 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Robert B said:

Week three, day three, since the 4.5 debut.  Still no offer to update.  How much longer to the public release? 

You should be happy you haven't downloaded it.  Quicken rolls out it's upgrades in stages now to a limited number of users...to make sure that there aren't problems with the update.

If there are problems, they will "pull" the update back and the rest of you don't get it until the problems are fixed.  

Connect the dots.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

The new feature to adjust the transaction total to the sum of the current split values is a nice upgrade. Especially handy for entering long splits, as well as for going back into a split to add a new value. Very easy to delete the remainder split line and have the total update. Good job. 

Thanks for the feedback.  It's good to hear nice things too and not only issues.  By the way, that is probably the most complex split I've ever seen.  Cool!
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    brberro said:

After Upgrading the blue dots on both the account list and in the transaction register signifying downloaded transaction are now not appearing. 

Oh no.  That doesn't sound good.  Let me reach out to you if someone hasn't done so already.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

I think you guys are missing a big point which is every software company does a staged release.  Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Facebook, Google and everyone.  Do you think Facebook releases an update to 2 billion people all at the same time?  No way.  Most of the times you don't realize it.  We've done this for years.  The only difference is that this release has been unexpectedly buggy which is totally our fault.  I can see why you might feel like beta testers but I assure you this was not planned is not something we want to repeat.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Robert B said:

And, I would add... Knowing there's been 4 versions, to date, of 4.5.x and each one has had its issues, I now don't want to update my 4.4.3 until I read 4.5.x is working without the level and range of feature-related issues currently being experienced.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

That kind of split is quite common with the sale/purchase of property. Should not be a surprise. I have other scenarios that can get even more elaborate than that; not frequent, but enough to need good support for it. Glad to see QMac seems to finally handle this with ease, like it used to.

• jacobs
    edited May 2017
    Options

@smayer97 & @pbGuy: The opt-in approach you suggest is there, as it is with every other software product: clicking the button to download and install an upgrade. It's an affirmative step for each user -- and you do not have to do it! With every macOS or iOS release, I *never* upgrade on the first few days, in case there's a major problem (of which there have been a number over the years). With Quicken, simply ignore the update message the first time you see it if you want to be protected from the potential of a buggy release. Just wait a few days and check this website to see what reports there are from early adopters.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

I agree. I was just offered the 4.5.x update today, and I'm still going to wait a week or so, especially since the update makes non-reversible changes to the data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Actually, with Quicken Windows you used to be able to NOT accept to download an update.

Now, when I do a One Step Update Quicken will prompt me that a update is available and do I want to install it?  So, I refuse.

However, at the next startup of Quicken Windows, the update automatically installs without any query or warning.  It just installs whether you like it or not.

So...no, it's not an affirmative step any more for Windows users. 
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was just notified to download the latest release of Quicken for Mac.  I performed the download and am now on release 4.5.4

In my previous use I go to the All Transactions view with the filter set to "Not Reviewed" to see my not reviewed transactions.   In this new release this filter does not seem to work as I now continue to see all transactions both reviewed and not reviewed.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jacobs: Just so you know... I've been using Mac software for over 20 years. I've been using Quicken software for about 10 years. Your comments, nonetheless, were simply patronizing. Stating the obvious, about upgrading, provides no real insights to the attempted discussion about early adoption of QM17 updates experiencing user issues.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jacobs: Just so you know... I've been using Mac software for over 20 years. I've been using Quicken software for about 10 years. Your comments, nonetheless, were simply patronizing. Stating the obvious, about upgrading, provides no real insights to the attempted discussion about early adoption of QM17 updates experiencing user issues.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Ooops. ...I didn't mean to double post.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

@pbGuy it's a GetSat bug where posts sometimes double post...not your fault.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

@jacobs the "opt-in" you are talking about is NOT the same thing...because again there is no visibility to the partial release nature of updates and their intentions, as many users encounter when they try to update one computer only to be unable to update another.

@Marcus Quicken has been using this approach for some time now for QMac. This is not the first time there have been many bugs in an update with one or more rapid-fire updates, though it may have been a while since you have had this many (obviously due to the size of this update).

Anyway, not trying to belabour the point.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    4.5.4 won't allow me to set the payment date for a loan account. To be more accurate - it won't actually show up in the register on my selected date; it will only show up on today's date (and in the future based on selected periodicity from today's date). I tried to convert back to a liability and then back to a loan, but that was even worse. It remembered my settings, but wouldn't allow me to click "finish" in the loan terms setup.
This discussion has been closed.