Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.5.3 Released

Options

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you click report errors, I can look it up and see what's going on (I think it's the envelope).  I don't think this is specific to 4.5.3.  We didn't change anything in tags but thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Pressing the "[" key in QM2017 4.4.3 in the category field allowed the user to select an account for transfer by simply typing the account name.  Under QM2017 4.5.2, it brings up Transfer:[account], but places the cursor after the T in transfer.  This appears to be a bug. 

It may be that Snoopy FC has Category Names set to Long in the General Preferences.  I have mine set to Long and "Transfer;" shows up.   I haven't set up another "Transfer category" yet so haven't tested if I get the result he does.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    When migrating my data file (from Quicken Mac 4.3.xx), I got this error "An error occurred during persistent store migration." Now I can't open my data file.

Help!
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

If you click report errors, I can look it up and see what's going on (I think it's the envelope).  I don't think this is specific to 4.5.3.  We didn't change anything in tags but thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Oops. I chucked it. I did copy the error message and save it to notes if you want to see it. 
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!

I had the same problem as Sharon Mesa and had not thought of the AirDrop solution. Problems solved quickly.  Thanks!
  • mistertheplague
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Evening folks. I wrote up a post detailing a workaround to get reports (and by extension, budgets) in QM17 to recognize loan and escrow transfers. This workaround was first introduced to me by Snoopy FC. I've updated it to include the new loan module. 

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-workaround-for-transfers-no...
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Pressing the "[" key in QM2017 4.4.3 in the category field allowed the user to select an account for transfer by simply typing the account name.  Under QM2017 4.5.2, it brings up Transfer:[account], but places the cursor after the T in transfer.  This appears to be a bug. 

I can say that the preference is set to long category names.  I frequently use this approach to simply shift money between accounts.    
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

OK.  I now have QM2017 4.5.2, and I just converted my mortgage from a liability account to a new loan account.  The loan account appears to be setup correctly and has added the scheduled transaction.  

However, on the loan payment setup, I cannot pick the category that I have set up to track mortgage spending in my budget.  It's setup only to do a transfer to the loan account from the bank account.  Of course budgets aren't currently able to track transfers.  Now I have a problem.  The shot below shows the principal and extra principal with no options to pick a category.  

That leads to this screen clearly indicating a transfer only has been setup: 
    Notice the principal is only setup as a transfer reminder and remember how we can't budget transfers.  So now what do I do to track mortgage spending in my budget?  

Suggestions: 
    1. Add transfers to budgets so that I can see this money being spent on the mortgage principal
    2. Allow us to set the category for mortgage principal and setup monthly principal reductions in the mortgage (loan) account

Any workaround ideas anyone?

Mistertheplague eloquently elaborates on the workaround here: 
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2017-workaround-for-transfers-no...

Marcus - any thoughts on these suggestions: 
    1. Add transfers to budgets so that I can see this money being spent on the mortgage principal
    2. Allow us to set the category for mortgage principal and setup monthly principal reductions in the mortgage (loan) account

The fact that we can't track the mortgage principal in a budget or report is silly.  We can track mortgage interest, and anything else.  Can this be fixed?
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Evening folks. I wrote up a post detailing a workaround to get reports (and by extension, budgets) in QM17 to recognize loan and escrow transfers. This workaround was first introduced to me by Snoopy FC. I've updated it to include the new loan module. 

Because the workaround is far from elegant, I proposed Quicken implement one or both of the following solutions: 

Marcus - what are your thoughts on these?
  • mistertheplague
    edited May 2017
    Options

Because the workaround is far from elegant
    Ha. Yeah, after giving you "any and all credit" for the workaround, I wasn't sure if I was being gracious or throwing you under the bus!

I vote for #1, with reports included with budgets. I'm not a software developer, but I would guess that #2 would depend on #1. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bharkey said:

When migrating my data file (from Quicken Mac 4.3.xx), I got this error "An error occurred during persistent store migration." Now I can't open my data file.

Help!

That is usually an indication that the data file is corrupted. See if this helps:
    Quicken Mac FAQ: How to try to resolve a "persistent store"-related error

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Doesn't matter.  Just look forward to a solution that better fits with budgets and reports than the current options.  Part of me would rather see #2 only because I already have it set up that way, but I have no problem with option #1 if we can move that transfer within the budget so that it fits within the housing category.  We'll see what happens.  
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

And for those unaware, You can add your VOTE to:
    First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the  Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

Agreed.  We need to add transfer support to budgets.  Unfortunately,  it's a huge effort (architectural level) so the reality is it's going to take some time for us to add it.
  • brucel
    brucel Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Marcus, what about adding the built-in Investments categories to budgets (e.g. Investments:Dividend Income)?  Pretty painful budget income-category gap that makes Q2017 budgets useless for me so I hope that change doesn't involve architectural changes/advancements (i.e. small oversight and change that will be addressed soon).
  • mistertheplague
    edited May 2017
    Options

We need to add transfer support to budgets.
    @Marcus: how about reports as well?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member, Employee
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bharkey said:

Help!

Hi Brett, Quicken Mac does a backup of the original file before the migration which you can find going to File>Show Backups in Finder>Automatic Backups (the path to the file is ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2017/Backups). Can you try to d-click on the backup file and try to migrate it again to 4.5.3? Let me know your results. If you are still having issues, I'll contact you offline with further instructions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bharkey said:

Help!

I did try to re-migrate from a backup version, also with the same results. In the end, I downgraded to 4.4.3 and everything is working fine. My primary question now is whether I should wait for a new version beyond 4.5.3 or whether I need to do an export/import of my data file and re-update the app.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member, Employee
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bharkey said:

Help!

Hi Brett, thanks for providing the information. Sounds like there is something within your data file that is causing the migration to fail. In order for us to help troubleshoot the issue, we would need to obtain your backup file and resulting migrated file that does not open in 4.5.3. If you're willing, let me know and I can send you a separate email.
  • brberro
    brberro Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    After Upgrading the blue dots on both the account list and in the transaction register signifying downloaded transaction are now not appearing. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options

Agree, that we need to add investment (especially dividend) and transfers to budget and reports.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm not able to reproduce this.  Does this happen all of the time or just sometimes?  Also what version are you using 4.5.3 or something else?  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    brberro said:

After Upgrading the blue dots on both the account list and in the transaction register signifying downloaded transaction are now not appearing. 

I'm not able to reproduce this.  Does this happen all of the time or just sometimes?  Also what version are you using 4.5.3 or something else?  Thanks. 
  • brberro
    brberro Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    brberro said:

After I posted this I checked and it still showed 4.43 even though I i had received the notification about the 4.5.3 upgrade and clicking upgrade a couple days ago. Now I can't get it too open - Now when i click icon i get a Quicken Unexpectedly Quit the last time it was run error, i click ok and then get a Quicken 2017 Quit Qnexpectedly error - click reopen and start this process all over again. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

As a consultant who helps clients on macOS, the way you have handled the 4.5 rollout has been frustrating. I have clients who have several machines within a single office, some of whom have received the update, some of whom have not. These are really beta releases. 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are really bug fixes for a 4.5 beta, not actual updates. You might want to consider giving people an option in Preferences to get beta updates, rather than releasing beta software to a small and unsuspecting number of clients. 

"When we release to customers, we believe everything is working as designed and that people won't run into issues."
    Your own experience, as documented here, shows this is not the case.
    You are using the customer as a guinea pig.
    It just shows you have no adequate testing  methodologyresources for debugging new software.
  • Mike Molloy
    Mike Molloy Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Has 4.5x been released to everyone? I still have 4.4.3 and haven't been offered an update. 
  • mistertheplague
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Like the Category Summary report, the new Transaction Summary report also ignores ReinvDiv, Reinv LT/ST CG, and LT/ST CG, while recognizing interest income and dividends paid but not reinvested. I backtested the report to last year to confirm non-recognition of capital gains categories. All tags and payees are set to "none" in the customization window. 

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

As a consultant who helps clients on macOS, the way you have handled the 4.5 rollout has been frustrating. I have clients who have several machines within a single office, some of whom have received the update, some of whom have not. These are really beta releases. 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are really bug fixes for a 4.5 beta, not actual updates. You might want to consider giving people an option in Preferences to get beta updates, rather than releasing beta software to a small and unsuspecting number of clients. 

@fanfare, I respectfully think you're off base here. They do beta test. I'm a beta tester. But just because I, or a few hundred other beta testers, didn't encounter a particular problem doesn't mean there aren't any bugs that will surface for other users. The different ways people use Quicken, the 14,000+ different financial institutions Quicken interfaces with, the data files that have been upgraded through many different versions -- all this combines to mean there are so many different situations that bugs can be present which don't turn up in Quicken's internal testing or beta testing.

That doesn't mean customers are guinea pigs -- or at least any more so than with any other software. I never download iOS or macOS updates when they are first released, because I want to see if any major bugs surface when early adopters start using new releases.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Has 4.5x been released to everyone? I still have 4.4.3 and haven't been offered an update. 

Mike: No, this release -- and every release -- is staged to make sure there aren't major problems that surface. That means they release to 1,000 or 2,000 users, and then stop the release for a day or two to see if there are reports of users running into  major problems. If there are no big problems reported through this weekend, I'd guess that they will finally open the current 4.5.3 release to everyone early next week.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Otherwise know as unsolicited unknowing beta testers.
This discussion has been closed.