Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2 & 4.5.3 Released

Options

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thomas said:

When I updated to 4.5.1 I immediately started to use the new loan feature. I ran into some major problems where i could no longer launch the application until i used a backup of my current Quicken file. I assume it became corrupt and caused the crash. Once i started fresh I was able to repeat my steps and continue. I did run into an issue where i could only use “Years” for loan length. When ever I would try another unit no matter how many months it would force the loan to be paid off in 1 year. ie i selected 120 months which should have been 10 years. It would set up payments such that it would be paid off in 1 year. I had to select 10 years in order for the payments to actually be displayed as 10 years. This was with a loan type “Loan”. I also tried 120 payments but with same results.

Marcus, makes sense the right thing to do
  • mistertheplague
    mistertheplague Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

OK.  I now have QM2017 4.5.2, and I just converted my mortgage from a liability account to a new loan account.  The loan account appears to be setup correctly and has added the scheduled transaction.  

However, on the loan payment setup, I cannot pick the category that I have set up to track mortgage spending in my budget.  It's setup only to do a transfer to the loan account from the bank account.  Of course budgets aren't currently able to track transfers.  Now I have a problem.  The shot below shows the principal and extra principal with no options to pick a category.  

That leads to this screen clearly indicating a transfer only has been setup: 
    Notice the principal is only setup as a transfer reminder and remember how we can't budget transfers.  So now what do I do to track mortgage spending in my budget?  

Suggestions: 
    1. Add transfers to budgets so that I can see this money being spent on the mortgage principal
    2. Allow us to set the category for mortgage principal and setup monthly principal reductions in the mortgage (loan) account

Any workaround ideas anyone?

@Snoopy: Is there no way in the new setup to categorize the principal transfer?(I'm still running 4.4.3 so I can't reference the new loan wizard directly). 

If there isn't, seems like mortgage principal won't show up in any reports either. 
    Quicken Premier Mac and Windows
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

OK.  I now have QM2017 4.5.2, and I just converted my mortgage from a liability account to a new loan account.  The loan account appears to be setup correctly and has added the scheduled transaction.  

However, on the loan payment setup, I cannot pick the category that I have set up to track mortgage spending in my budget.  It's setup only to do a transfer to the loan account from the bank account.  Of course budgets aren't currently able to track transfers.  Now I have a problem.  The shot below shows the principal and extra principal with no options to pick a category.  

Notice the principal is only setup as a transfer reminder and remember how we can't budget transfers.  So now what do I do to track mortgage spending in my budget?  

Suggestions: 
    1. Add transfers to budgets so that I can see this money being spent on the mortgage principal
    2. Allow us to set the category for mortgage principal and setup monthly principal reductions in the mortgage (loan) account

That's correct.  You can't categorize the principal transfer as it does not provide an option to do so.  Hence the reason I'm looking for a workaround and made the suggestions I did above.   
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Robert B
    Robert B Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Next week is over and I have not been offered the upgrade yet.  Are there problems?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Robert B said:

Next week is over and I have not been offered the upgrade yet.  Are there problems?

Scroll up and look for posts by Marcus and you'll see why they are delaying further rollout for now.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Pressing the "[" key in QM2017 4.4.3 in the category field allowed the user to select an account for transfer by simply typing the account name.  Under QM2017 4.5.2, it brings up Transfer:[account], but places the cursor after the T in transfer.  This appears to be a bug. 
  • seylopez
    seylopez Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Suggestions: 

I've entered all the loan details and attempted to enter other details additional to payment principal and interest (ie transfer to escrow). I skipped the payment reminder and it seemed to work but the calculation is off from what the bank reports (loan amortization), not a big deal. Problem is there is no toolbar along the bottom (New, Edit, Split, Delete...PAID...etc) and the option to reconcile the account from the top tool bar is greyed out.

• jcalveras
    jcalveras Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hello Sir. Since I downloaded the Version 4.5.2 (Build 45.17325.100), Fifth Third Bank (53.com doesn't synchronize the transactions. The rest seems to work fine. Any clues on how to solve that ? 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jcalveras said:

Hello Sir. Since I downloaded the Version 4.5.2 (Build 45.17325.100), Fifth Third Bank (53.com doesn't synchronize the transactions. The rest seems to work fine. Any clues on how to solve that ? 

Was it working for you prior to downloading the update? How are you connecting to the bank , direct or quicken connect?
  • jcalveras
    jcalveras Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jcalveras said:

Yes, it was working. When I go to "Change Connection Type", I select my bank, log in, quicken shows me what account to link, after linking, it shows 0 transactions downloaded. 

It uses Quicken Connect, because I also use Quicken Bill Pay in that account. Before, it worked fine. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!

Is there a way for us to opt into the release early?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

How can I get this update? It says my Quicken 2017 4.4.3 is the newest available.

I was prompted to update to 4.5, but I clicked Remind Me Later in order to backup my application and data file. However, clicking "Check for Updates..." says that I am up-to-date.

I could really use a bug fix in the release. The split transaction bug where the total changes is something I run into a lot. The fixes for when editing split transactions will be most welcome as well.

Thanks!

Better to wait out until Quicken fixes all the bugs they have encountered since earlier releases. See comment s by Marcus on this thread
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

I get there maybe issues. Asking if it's possible to beta test this release.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

Contact QuickenSupport & make the request
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

See this:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-apply-join-quicken-beta-testing
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

@EY: To answer your original question, there is no way to "opt in early" to any release. When they do one of these trickle releases, a limited number of people get  update notice, and after reaching a pre-set number, the update is no longer available. The only way to get the release is to happen to launch Quicken or check for updates at the exact time they open the gate.

As for beta testing, follow the info in the link @RickO posted to apply. That said, I don't know whether it will get you a beta copy of version 4.5.x. Once the public release begins, the pre-release beta testing is technically over. Although they have halted the release to fix some bugs, I'm not sure they will re-open beta testing for this release; I wouldn't expect it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

@jacobs Got it and thanks for the incredibly detailed reply! Makes a ton of sense.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

This is pretty irresponsible of Quicken.  I use it for business, have shared files and operate computers in multiple locations.  The 4.5.0 has locked me out of my checking files on computers which did not get the beta version.  My faith in this company is at a low point.  I'm now terrified of losing files.  Can't even open backups.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

Note that changes made to v4.5 make it incompatible with earlier versions, so back-ups created by it cannot be opened with earlier versions of Quicken.

If you have the update on one computer, you can simply copy the Quicken app from one computer to the other.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you!  I airdropped it and the issue is now fixed.  It updated the older version immediately and now I can access the files.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Thanks!

Glad you sorted it out.  :-)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jcalveras said:

I don't think we changed anything with Quicken Connect so that should still work exactly as it did.  What is the exact error message you're seeing?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Pressing the "[" key in QM2017 4.4.3 in the category field allowed the user to select an account for transfer by simply typing the account name.  Under QM2017 4.5.2, it brings up Transfer:[account], but places the cursor after the T in transfer.  This appears to be a bug. 

I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  When hit "[" in the category field, I see a menu drop down that lists Transfer:[Account] but in the actual edit field the light blue highlight continues to appear after the "[" and as I type it highlights the ending part of the account name.  In other words, I don't see "Transfer:" in the actual field.  I only see "[" which is the right behavior.  Are you seeing the word Transfer in the category field itself?  I do see this behavior after I arrow down the menu but the highlight still correctly appears over the account name and not after the "T".  If you can still reproduce this issue, does it happen all of the time or just sometimes.  If sometimes, can you help narrow down the case it happens.  Thanks.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Robert B said:

Yes, there have been issues.  The community has found some good bugs and as we tested more we found more issues so we held up the release and decided not to try to rush something out but to take our time and make sure it's of high quality. We feel it's looking a lot better now and hope to release sometime this week.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited May 2017
    Options
    km-nm said:

In 4.5.2, I had converted my mortgage liability account to a Loan.  Then I went to set up automatic download, and I was surprised that I couldn't link my Loan account.  My only options were Ignore or set up a new account.  So I just cancelled out.  Eventually, I realized that I could use the Edit Loan and Payment Terms screen to change the Loan Type to "Mortgage".  Once I did this, I was able to set up Automatic Download again, and this time my Mortgage (not Loan) account was offered for linking.

I think it would be nice if non-downloaded Loan accounts were also offered for linking, and if the link is established, then the Loan Type could be changed to Mortgage (or whatever is appropriate) automatically.

OK. Did you notice if on the left side of the dialog the account type said UNKNOWN.  I think what might have happened is the bank told us they didn't know the account type.  If the account type is UNKNOWN, Quicken won't let you link the account.  This shouldn't happen that often but we've seen this occur from some banks and loan providers.  This happens a lot with Wells Fargo.  It's possible we should lower our threshold here and let you link it anyway but I haven't worked through all of the scenarios where this could be a bad thing.  Thanks for reporting it.  I don't think this was on our radar.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:

Yes, I'm seeing Transfer:[account] in the category field as shown below: 
    When I first hit "[" I also get the dropdown menu, but I also get what you see pictured above.  Happens all the time since the upgrade.  Hope this helps. 

When I keep typing an account after hitting "[" it does the following: image
    Notice that the "[" isn't there and it just botches it.  In 4.4.3, I'd just type the account name and it would automatically recognize it.  Not so here.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    As a consultant who helps clients on macOS, the way you have handled the 4.5 rollout has been frustrating. I have clients who have several machines within a single office, some of whom have received the update, some of whom have not. These are really beta releases. 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are really bug fixes for a 4.5 beta, not actual updates. You might want to consider giving people an option in Preferences to get beta updates, rather than releasing beta software to a small and unsuspecting number of clients. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

As a consultant who helps clients on macOS, the way you have handled the 4.5 rollout has been frustrating. I have clients who have several machines within a single office, some of whom have received the update, some of whom have not. These are really beta releases. 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are really bug fixes for a 4.5 beta, not actual updates. You might want to consider giving people an option in Preferences to get beta updates, rather than releasing beta software to a small and unsuspecting number of clients. 

Matt, version 4.5 had already been through beta testing. But beta testing never insures software is perfect; in fact, it rarely is. In the case of Quicken, because there are many thousand of different financial institutions the software connects to, and individual data files that have been updated many times over years and decades, beta testing is almost certain not to catch every set of user parameters; issues typically turn up when the software goes into wider release.

That said, you are suggesting that when Quicken completes beta testing, they should issue the release to the entire user community at once, rather than the staged release process they've been using the past couple years. I don't see how that's better. If everyone had downloaded 4.5 when it was released, and then some of the issues with it surfaced, how could that be better than having them halt the release to make fixes as soon as the issues were discovered while only a limited number of people had it?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

You released 4.5 to a small number of users, who had no idea it wasn't being released to everyone because you were concerned there might still be bugs. If people had known that, you would have had far fewer people install the update. That's an issue of transparency. Then, you essentially force those users to become beta testers, responding to you on this page, which has caused you to release two more updates to fix the problems that were introduced with 4.5.0. I have never used software that is released in this way. You add an "include beta releases" checkbox to the preferences section. This lets your users knowingly choose to get these releases and provide support responses. There are plenty of people who want to beta test and live on the bleeding edge. There are others who need absolute stability. *You* decided who would live on the edge, rather than letting your users pick. There are 100s of applications that do open betas successfully, and I don't see why Quicken can't be one of them.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Matt said:

I agree with you Matt. Lots of software that perform partial releases do so under the purview of beta testing and make it optional within the software, and effectively Quicken has created the same thing without the option to choose. I agree that the sensible thing to do is to make this option explicit for users, since Quicken is now choosing to use this model (which is a reasonable strategy). 

This discussion has been closed.