Add option to see performance of market indexes in Portfolio (6 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Investments
In Quicken for Windows I could do this but with Quicken for MAC it is not available although I can see the data history when I look at the Security list
Tagged:
13 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks for posting this suggestion!

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    For myself, only as an option and there are many other features I'd like to see implemented first. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    RCinNJ said:

For myself, only as an option and there are many other features I'd like to see implemented first. 

Priorities are always being managed. Vote counts help direct that, weighed against cost/benefit, effort, available resources, alignment to business plans, etc, etc. And a low vote count does not automatically make it a low priority, nor does a high vote count automatically guarantee immediate attention, though it does help.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Seems strange that I can have the DJIA ticker and name in Quicken Mac, it will download the daily price...but there is NO way to see the performance.

I tried purchasing shares of the DJIA...but QM wouldn't let me do that.  I tried adding a new "dummy" security, but QM wouldn't let me do that either.

I have a Watch List I created in QM by adding valid securities and tickers, ADD SHARES of 0.00001 (so as not to affect my Net Worth) and that works just fine.

I then click on the security name and get re-directed to investing.quicken.com...which is great.  I can then see the performance of that security on my Watch List plus all the pertinent info I need.

But there is apparently no way to do this with ANY Index Fund listed in QM...and the Index Fund can't be listed in the Watch List.  
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I agree with a post above: what is the point of having market indexes in the list of securities -- which Quicken creates by default, and maintains a price history for -- if you can't see the data?

There needs to be a way for users to select any indexes they want to see somewhere in the Portfolio view. 

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the investments section... vote counts are typically going to be relatively low compared to more central features. Let's not interpret low count in this section as a lack of interest.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Yield Chaser
    Yield Chaser Member ✭✭

There is currently the option to view ROI and IRR for a few time periods, in the Portfolio tab with Performance (by Account, Security, etc).

What would make this more powerful is a visual comparison to an index.

Create an option to add a line for a comparison portfolio containing the S&P500, NASDAQ, or even an ETF (as a stock index may be too aggressive as a baseline).

Details: Start the value of the comparison portfolio as equal to the portfolio on day 1 of the time frame of the graph (1 year, 3 year, etc) and calculate a certain number of units virtually held based on the closing price of the S&P 500 (example, if you have $10,000 and S&P 500 is at 5,000, then you have 2 units of S&P 500). Then, change the daily value of the comparison portfolio by daily closing price of the S&P500 (if the S&P 500 goes to 5,100, then this virtual portfolio of 2 shares is no worth $10,200). When money is added or removed from the account during the timeframe being displayed, buy or sell 'units' of the S&P500. This is basically doing a Money Weighted Return Comparison to your account (what you see on ETF or Mutual Fund reports comparing their performance to some index).

This would be very useful as it gives you an easy visual presentation of how your portfolio did versus just buying an ETF (whether SPY, QQQ, AGG, or perhaps a balanced ETF).

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello @Yield Chaser,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.