Option to Turn Off "Is this the payment for..."

Please add a configuration setting which would allow the user to turn off the prompt "Is this the payment for this Scheduled Bill or Deposit?" which appears on some of the bill/income reminders being entered into the register.
16 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When, exactly, do you get this particular prompt? Can you provide some more details?
    What would you like Quicken to do instead? Ignore the reminder and enter a new transaction based on downloaded data? Execute the reminder and match/merge the downloaded data into the new register transaction?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I know what @Cris Williams is referring to.  When you are entering transactions and you have a reminder that Quicken "guesses" is the same one it tries to suggest that it might be that reminder.  This kind of thing comes up when the reminders are "later" than the actual entry.

In other words say I have a credit card payment with a reminder due in two days, and I download a transaction that is in fact that payment.  Now I have a problem since you must enter the reminder into the register before the download for it to match.  So you now have a duplicate transaction.  Quicken tries to guess that this situation has happened, and ask you if it is that payment.  If you say yes it will ignore the reminder so that you don't have a duplicate transaction.  If your say no it will not touch that reminder and it will go in as scheduled.

There is two problems with this.  One is that as far as I can tell it is very inconsistent on even trying this "guess".  The second is because the downloaded amount and the reminders amount can be different the guess is very "vague" on what it will match, and lots of times it is is wrong.  It seems to be based somewhat on the payee, but even that isn't "exact".

Given the nature of these problems, it tends to cause more problems than it solves.  Many people have complained about this over the years.

The general workaround that has been suggested is to make sure that payee names in the reminders are unique.
    But it would certainly be better to just have an option not to do this at all.
    Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote YES! That "Is this the next payment for..." pop up is annoying. I always answer "No" to that prompt. It would be good to just be able to turn it off completely. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Cris Williams
    Cris Williams Member ✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > When, exactly, do you get this particular prompt? Can you provide some more details?
    > What would you like Quicken to do instead? Ignore the reminder and enter a new transaction based on downloaded data? Execute the reminder and match/merge the downloaded data into the new register transaction?

As mentioned in my original post, the message is displayed when entering bill/income reminders into an accounts registry. I would like Quicken to not do this. I would like to have an option to turn off this functionality.
  • Bill Blaney
    Bill Blaney Member ✭✭
    It just happened to me! I answered No out of an abundance of caution! There are clues to this in the various reference columns but I don't know what to make of them. The payment was an auto payment where Citicard taps into Chase for the payment. So one of the entries might have been anticipating the payment and the other one reflecting the actual payment. In my case the issue is between Quicken, Chase Bank and Citicard. Who ya gonna call? If Quicken is going to post this error notice, please unfreeze the rest of Quicken so I can go check what's happening. Q stays frozen until you answer Yes or No.
  • TPerk
    TPerk Member
    I vote get rid of it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TPerk said:
    I vote get rid of it.
    Make sure you also selected this:

Signature:
    (I'm always using the latest Quicken Windows Premier subscription version)
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RNAndrews45
    RNAndrews45 Member ✭✭
    I have the problem that I have reminders for several transactions from the same account that have amounts within a few dollars of each other. When I try to enter one, I get "guesses" about all of them & I have to answer that question "No" several times before I can complete entering the transaction.

I vote to get rid of it or make it optional.
  • Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭
    I have a Home Depot credit card. When I buy something at HD and manually enter the transaction for the purchase into the register for the credit card that I used I get a popup. See attached PDF for documentation.
    How do I get rid of the popup?
  • Philip Mead
    Philip Mead Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem - it makes scheduled transactions a pain.
    This has changed from previous Quickens.
  • jay46
    jay46 Member ✭✭
    It's weird. I enter all checkbook and credit card payments "by hand" and I get these queries asking if this is the payment for last month's bill, or even stranger things. There's no obvious way to go into the database and say NO - that payment has already been made, or NO - that payment is not even real. If the query would be accurate, I wouldn't mind it so much, but when it's proposing to assign the payment to the wrong thing, it's annoying and I wish I knew how to go in and delete those hidden "missed payments". I'm even getting queries if a tax payment belongs to last year or the year before! No way.
  • jay46
    jay46 Member ✭✭
    Here's the message when I submit Estimated Taxes for this year (2021) - how can I convince Quicken that it does not belong with 2020??
  • Ron Czapala
    Ron Czapala Member ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the prompt - it is super annoying!!
  • KDL
    KDL Member ✭✭
    I vote to get rid of this as well. I encounter the problem when entering a scheduled transaction in a register. In my case it's a weekly transfer between accounts. I have already defined this scheduled transaction. I don't want Quicken inventing other "scheduled" things, which is what it appears it is trying to do. I have to clear several of these in order to enter my transaction. Furthermore, if I answer "yes" to Quicken's question, it doesn't enter anything in the register. So what is the point of that functionality?