Option to Turn Off "Is this the payment for..."

MSStateDawg
MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
Please add a configuration setting which would allow the user to turn off the prompt "Is this the payment for this Scheduled Bill or Deposit?" which appears on some of the bill/income reminders being entered into the register.
44 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When, exactly, do you get this particular prompt? Can you provide some more details?
    What would you like Quicken to do instead? Ignore the reminder and enter a new transaction based on downloaded data? Execute the reminder and match/merge the downloaded data into the new register transaction?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR I know what @Cris Williams is referring to.  When you are entering transactions and you have a reminder that Quicken "guesses" is the same one it tries to suggest that it might be that reminder.  This kind of thing comes up when the reminders are "later" than the actual entry.

In other words say I have a credit card payment with a reminder due in two days, and I download a transaction that is in fact that payment.  Now I have a problem since you must enter the reminder into the register before the download for it to match.  So you now have a duplicate transaction.  Quicken tries to guess that this situation has happened, and ask you if it is that payment.  If you say yes it will ignore the reminder so that you don't have a duplicate transaction.  If your say no it will not touch that reminder and it will go in as scheduled.

There is two problems with this.  One is that as far as I can tell it is very inconsistent on even trying this "guess".  The second is because the downloaded amount and the reminders amount can be different the guess is very "vague" on what it will match, and lots of times it is is wrong.  It seems to be based somewhat on the payee, but even that isn't "exact".

Given the nature of these problems, it tends to cause more problems than it solves.  Many people have complained about this over the years.

The general workaround that has been suggested is to make sure that payee names in the reminders are unique.
    But it would certainly be better to just have an option not to do this at all.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote YES! That "Is this the next payment for..." pop up is annoying. I always answer "No" to that prompt. It would be good to just be able to turn it off completely. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > When, exactly, do you get this particular prompt? Can you provide some more details?
    > What would you like Quicken to do instead? Ignore the reminder and enter a new transaction based on downloaded data? Execute the reminder and match/merge the downloaded data into the new register transaction?

As mentioned in my original post, the message is displayed when entering bill/income reminders into an accounts registry. I would like Quicken to not do this. I would like to have an option to turn off this functionality.
  • Bill Blaney
    Bill Blaney Member ✭✭✭
    It just happened to me! I answered No out of an abundance of caution! There are clues to this in the various reference columns but I don't know what to make of them. The payment was an auto payment where Citicard taps into Chase for the payment. So one of the entries might have been anticipating the payment and the other one reflecting the actual payment. In my case the issue is between Quicken, Chase Bank and Citicard. Who ya gonna call? If Quicken is going to post this error notice, please unfreeze the rest of Quicken so I can go check what's happening. Q stays frozen until you answer Yes or No.
  • TPerk
    TPerk Member ✭✭✭
    I vote get rid of it.
    Tom P In Sunny Virginia Beach, Va
    Q Win Premier Sub
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    TPerk said:
    I vote get rid of it.
    Make sure you also selected this:

Signature:
  • RNAndrews45
    RNAndrews45 Member ✭✭
    I have the problem that I have reminders for several transactions from the same account that have amounts within a few dollars of each other. When I try to enter one, I get "guesses" about all of them & I have to answer that question "No" several times before I can complete entering the transaction.

I vote to get rid of it or make it optional.
  • Ben Klein
    Ben Klein Member ✭✭✭
    I have a Home Depot credit card. When I buy something at HD and manually enter the transaction for the purchase into the register for the credit card that I used I get a popup. See attached PDF for documentation.
    How do I get rid of the popup?
  • Philip Mead
    Philip Mead Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem - it makes scheduled transactions a pain.
    This has changed from previous Quickens.
  • jay46
    jay46 Member ✭✭✭
    It's weird. I enter all checkbook and credit card payments "by hand" and I get these queries asking if this is the payment for last month's bill, or even stranger things. There's no obvious way to go into the database and say NO - that payment has already been made, or NO - that payment is not even real. If the query would be accurate, I wouldn't mind it so much, but when it's proposing to assign the payment to the wrong thing, it's annoying and I wish I knew how to go in and delete those hidden "missed payments". I'm even getting queries if a tax payment belongs to last year or the year before! No way.
  • jay46
    jay46 Member ✭✭✭
    Here's the message when I submit Estimated Taxes for this year (2021) - how can I convince Quicken that it does not belong with 2020??
  • Ron Czapala
    Ron Czapala Member ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the prompt - it is super annoying!!
  • KDL
    KDL Member ✭✭✭
    I vote to get rid of this as well. I encounter the problem when entering a scheduled transaction in a register. In my case it's a weekly transfer between accounts. I have already defined this scheduled transaction. I don't want Quicken inventing other "scheduled" things, which is what it appears it is trying to do. I have to clear several of these in order to enter my transaction. Furthermore, if I answer "yes" to Quicken's question, it doesn't enter anything in the register. So what is the point of that functionality?
  • Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    I also vote to get rid of this. It is very annoying.
  • Allen Jones
    Allen Jones Member ✭✭
    I vote to get rid of it, or at least provide an option to turn it off. I frequently get this prompt and I have NEVER had a case where the correct answer was "Yes." Several years worth of getting these useless suggestions is way too long for Quicken to have put off fixing this annoyance.
  • ScotProf
    ScotProf Member ✭✭✭
    I, too, vote to be able to turn off this prompt. As others have said, it's been a problem for years. I have a vague memory of temporarily fixing it by deleting the related bill reminder, then setting it up anew - but that's too laborious a workaround. And it fixes it only for that one reminder. Eventually, the popup affects other reminders. I'm not certain what triggers it, but I have NEVER clicked the "Yes" button, so I'd rather not see the popup at all.
  • Allen Jones
    Allen Jones Member ✭✭
    I wish there a way for me to vote "Yes" 10x for the option to turn this "feature" off. Over the several years that Quicken has had this in place, its guesses that the transaction that I was entering was really for something else have never been right. Not "almost never." Literally never. It is extremely annoying. There are several threads on this community forum asking Quicken to provide a way to turn this off. Please, pay attention to what your customers are requesting and give us the option to do what we have been asking for years.
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Anja
    @Quicken Janean
    @Quicken Harold

Posted this 7 months ago. Any developments?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    @MSStateDawg and others,

This Idea is still in the New state, which indicates that it has not yet been reviewed by Development.

Forum Moderators sometimes review issues discussed here and refer them to Development, but if you want Quicken to work on a problem, I recommend that everyone contacts Support via phone.  Be sure the support agent understands the problem and gives you a ticket number for future reference.

You should also use the Help > Report a Problem menu in Quicken to submit the issue online. In your submission, be as clear and thorough as possible. Reference the ticket number and provide a link to this discussion. Provide step by step instructions to reproduce the problem. You will not get a response to an electronic submission, but they say they review and prioritize the submissions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    I vote YES! That "Is this the next payment for..." pop up is annoying. I always answer "No" to that prompt. It would be good to just be able to turn it off completely. 
    I don't think it would be a good idea to turn it off completely or remove the feature as there may be some users who prefer this. My request is that a change be made to make it an option to turn it off based on the user's preference.
  • D Wurm
    D Wurm Member ✭✭
    I found this solution. Does I this help anyone?
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-turn-reminder-next-scheduled-payment
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    D Wurm said:
    Thank you for that. That option was not checked, but I checked it, then unchecked it. We'll see if the message goes away.

Odd that neither the Quicken Community folk nor the veteran users suggested this.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    D Wurm said:
    Thank you for that. That option was not checked, but I checked it, then unchecked it. We'll see if the message goes away.

Odd that neither the Quicken Community folk nor the veteran users suggested this.
    It wasn't suggested because that option doesn't control this.  This other thread where it was suggested.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20331219/#Comment_20331219
    Signature:
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭

@quicken folks

How many votes usually gets serious consideration by product management? This one seems a bit popular.

• ReneeV
    ReneeV Member ✭✭

1000% agree make an option to turn this off. Example: I created a payment reminder for Amazon monthly Prime Video add-on charge for Starz with payee "Amazon". Now when I double click on it to create the entry in my Amex account (where it gets paid automatically), I get the "is this the payment for" popup for EVERY URECONCILED AMAZON TRANSACTION in my AmEx register. Let's just say there are a lot. So I have to click through each one. Is it this one? no. this one? no. This one? on and on when I just want to get to the "enter expense transaction" screen. Conversely, now when I enter a new Amazon transaction in the amex register, when I click save, I need to answer "is this the payment for" each of the three Amazon reminders I created: Starz? no. PBS? no. Kindle Unlimited? no. Then finally it saves. It's ridiculous - doesn't even try to match the amount or category (which would still be annoying). AND if you accidentally click yes in this example it really messes things up, especially for an online transaction because it will get marked as paid when it wasn't, so you could miss a payment - just hope you notice at the time you click it. I will need to modify the payee name in the reminder (or in the amex register), I get it, but I don't want to and I should not have to.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Recommend you use distinct Payee Names, e.g. "Amazon {Starz}", to keep this transaction (reminder) separate from all your other "Amazon" charges.

• ReneeV
    ReneeV Member ✭✭

Please see the last sentence in my comment "… I get it, but I don't want to and I should not have to."

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭

Or they could just offer an option to allow the user to turn it off and have a much more pleasant experience due to customization.

• I exported an account to a QIF, deleted the account and tried to import the QIF to the completely empty newly-created account (for reasons I will not rabbit hole into that Quicken thinks I have to re-create an account because it might've been restored from a backup but using Quicken to "Fix it" does f*** all and the error persists every account sync). It is sheer LUNACY that I am being presented with this prediction question for transactions that I am importing from a pristine backup, for a seemingly-endless string of transactions starting with ones in 2016. Why would a file import be run through this dumbfounding stupid AI (artificial idiot) interactive code transaction by transaction? Utterly broken functionality.