PNC Download Issue (QWIN)

Options
12345679»

Answers

• chriskay
    chriskay Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @chriskay said:
    > My business checking account doesn't work with EWC, so there's that. If Quicken knows enough to tell people not to deactivate etc they should be putting out messages directly to the users via the program subscription. Not by community Tom Toms.

Agreed! Good advice these days is hit and miss. Quicken did state to me to watch the community or call them. Apparently this is their only preferred methods of communication. As for PNC, prior to the BBVA merger, my local bank branch manager told me to expect some growing pains with Quicken. She stated that PNC was not as technologically advanced. Basically old school. PNC's online banking and mobile app is no match for what we used to enjoy with BBVA, IMHO>
    Interesting.  I was unaware of the merger.  Doesn't surprise me that PNC is technically rusty.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for PNC, prior to the BBVA merger, my local bank branch manager told me to expect some growing pains with Quicken. She stated that PNC was not as technologically advanced. Basically old school. PNC's online banking and mobile app is no match for what we used to enjoy with BBVA, IMHO>
    My BBVA branch was also part of the acquisition/merger with PNC and the branch manager there told me the very same thing.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• unclebob1216
    unclebob1216 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Question: Why would anyone want to leave DC?

Answer: Whenever my PNC checking account balance was below $5000 I was being charged a $10 per month fee. A year ago I complained, so PNC suggested I switch my account to Virtual Wallet which is free.

This caused a bunch of Quicken problems because a virtual wallet account only works with a Virtual Wallet connection. Duplicate transactions and weird balancing issues took two months to resolve.

But things worked well for almost a year until this disaster.

Saving that $10 a month was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made.
  • unclebob1216
    unclebob1216 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I suggest that everyone WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY before running One Step Update. This should give PNC and Quicken a chance to clean up this mess.

But if you absolutely must update now I suggest you IMMEDIATELY BACKUP YOUR FILE TWICE. If things go down the toilet, you will be glad you did this backup.

1) After 10:00 PM Use quicken > edit > preferences > backup > turn on "remind me after running Quicken every 1 time"
    2) Close quicken which will open the Quicken Backup dialog
    3) In the dialog click > Backup > turn on "Also add time to name" > Save Backup > OK
    4) Use windows explorer to rename the backup.
    NORMAL NAME C:\Users\JoeDoe\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\JoesStuff-2022-08-14.AM08.20.QDF-backup
    NEW NAME IS C:\Users\JoeDoe\Documents\Quicken\BACKUP\JoesStuff(VERY SOON AFTER PNC MESS)-2022-08-14.AM08.20.QDF-backup
    5) Open Quicken and immediately close it to get a second backup with the "Normal" name.
  • jasonpbyu
    jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
    Options
    The merger was months ago, things worked fine until last weekend.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    jasonpbyu said:
    The merger was months ago, things worked fine until last weekend.
    The BBVA merger into PNC did work fine for some but for many others (including for me) it did not.  It took PNC about 2 months (Oct-Dec) to get all the issues resolved and for people to stop posting complaints about PNC in this forum.
    Whether or not the merger has anything whatsoever to do with the current problem is something I don't think any of us can say (although I strongly suspect that it does not).  I think the reason for someone else posting about it was not to highlight BBVA/PNC merger issues back then but to simply to highlight that PNC's systems are, by current tech standards, pretty old school and out of date.  Now that can be a contributing cause to the current issue.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Question: Why would anyone want to leave DC?

Answer: Whenever my PNC checking account balance was below $5000 I was being charged a $10 per month fee. A year ago I complained, so PNC suggested I switch my account to Virtual Wallet which is free.

This caused a bunch of Quicken problems because a virtual wallet account only works with a Virtual Wallet connection. Duplicate transactions and weird balancing issues took two months to resolve.

But things worked well for almost a year until this disaster.

Saving that $10 a month was one of the worst mistakes I have ever made.
    You might want to try upgrading to DC now.  It used to be that Virtual Wallet accounts worked only with a Virtual Wallet connection but they now work with DC, as well.  I have a Virtual Wallet checking account and a savings account and switched from the PNC - Virtual Wallet connection to PNC Bank - Direct Connect last October and am so glad that I did. 
    Oh, and PNC Bank - Direct Connect has no monthly fee for personal Virtual Wallet accounts.  There is a $2.00 or $2.50/month fee for business accounts.
    I did provide step-by-step instructions for how to upgrade to DC earlier in this thread because the upgrade process is not as straight forward as one might think it should be.

• chriskay
    chriskay Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to hang loose for a bit before I DC to PNC.  I don't trust any of the system at this point.
  • unclebob1216
    unclebob1216 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Boatnmaniac thanks for that advice. I will stick with Virtual Wallet connection at least until the smoke clears.

I am just curious about why you are "so glad you changed". I looked at you 11:43 post today and it appears there are a few people using DC that were also having problems.
    And your Aug 11 posts which say that I will have to contact PNC and get a new user id. In the past something similar required a snail mail of a pass code which left me unconnected for several days.

So is DC so much better that it is worth the hassle? For instance do you have DC Virtual
    Wallet accounts and were they all unaffected by this latest cc505 fiasco? If so, I will most definitely change.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Boatnmaniac thanks for that advice. I will stick with Virtual Wallet connection at least until the smoke clears.

I am just curious about why you are "so glad you changed". I looked at you 11:43 post today and it appears there are a few people using DC that were also having problems.
    And your Aug 11 posts which say that I will have to contact PNC and get a new user id. In the past something similar required a snail mail of a pass code which left me unconnected for several days.

So is DC so much better that it is worth the hassle? For instance do you have DC Virtual
    Wallet accounts and were they all unaffected by this latest cc505 fiasco? If so, I will most definitely change.
    I can certainly understand the apprehension about making a connection change to DC at this time.  I might be a bit gun shy, too, if I were still using EWC with PNC.
    And, yes, I have Virtual Wallet accounts set up DC and have experienced absolutely no issues during this "cc505 fiasco".  In fact, if you read through this rather lengthy thread you will see others saying they have DC set up for their accounts and have not been experiencing any issues with it at all, as well.
    I do not recall making a post at 11:43 today regarding PNC DC issues and could not find anything like that in my comments history going back several days.  But I'm getting older so maybe I've forgotten about something.
    I do know that PNC credit cards cannot use DC but that is not a DC issue.  That is a PNC issue because they did not contract with Intuit/Quicken to add DC support for credit cards.
    There was one comment from a few days ago where a person said they got set up with DC OK but then they were not able to get OSU to work with it, again.  I asked if they were sure they entered their UserID (SSN) in the same way as during DC setup (dashes in the SSN vs no dashes or the reverse of that) but that person never got back to me so I'm assuming that was probably the issue.
    Most of the issues that I hear about in getting DC set up with PNC is that the person did not accurately follow the setup instructions and when later they did follow the instructions they got set up correctly.
    The reasons why I am really glad I upgraded to DC last Oct include:
    • EWC with PNC has been pretty problematic over the last 10 months.  (I don't know about before that because I did not have a PNC account until 10 months ago.)  Lots of connection issues, error codes and download issues with EWC.  I don't recall having any DC issues since I upgraded to it. 
    • DC connections are very fast taking just a few seconds for each FI.  EWC connections can take much longer and the more FIs you try to update with EWC during OSU the longer it takes for each FI.  Example:  My PNC accounts with DC generally take <5 seconds to complete...<15 seconds in total for all 9 of my DC accounts.  It generally takes 1.5-2 minutes to update only 6 of my EWC accounts.
    • DC with PNC allows me to pay bills and make transfers between PNC accounts directly from within Quicken.  This is called Bank Bill Pay (not to be confused with Quicken's Bill Manager 3rd party bill pay service).
    • DC is a more secure connection than is EWC.  DC login information is saved only in your data file on your hard drive and when OSU is run the data goes directly from the FI to your data file.  EWC login information, however, is saved on a Quicken/aggregator server, not in the data file, so the aggregator can connect with the FI at night to get the data dump which then later gets downloaded to your data file when you next run OSU.
    I (and I think all Super Users) will almost always recommend DC over EWC for these same reasons.
    BTW, if you do decide to upgrade to DC, please be sure to follow the step-by-step instructions I provided on Aug 7 (at the bottom of the 1st page of this thread).  Yes, you will need to call PNC to request unique login information which they will mail to you.  Until you get the PIN from them and use it you will still be able to use EWC with PNC (assuming they get EWC fixed by then).

• jrbuch
    jrbuch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I can certainly understand the apprehension about making a connection change to DC at this time.  I might be a bit gun shy, too, if I were still using EWC with PNC.
    And, yes, I have Virtual Wallet accounts set up DC and have experienced absolutely no issues during this "cc505 fiasco".  In fact, if you read through this rather lengthy thread you will see others saying they have DC set up for their accounts and have not been experiencing any issues with it at all, as well.
    I do not recall making a post at 11:43 today regarding PNC DC issues and could not find anything like that in my comments history going back several days.  But I'm getting older so maybe I've forgotten about something.
    I do know that PNC credit cards cannot use DC but that is not a DC issue.  That is a PNC issue because they did not contract with Intuit/Quicken to add DC support for credit cards.
    There was one comment from a few days ago where a person said they got set up with DC OK but then they were not able to get OSU to work with it, again.  I asked if they were sure they entered their UserID (SSN) in the same way as during DC setup (dashes in the SSN vs no dashes or the reverse of that) but that person never got back to me so I'm assuming that was probably the issue.
    Most of the issues that I hear about in getting DC set up with PNC is that the person did not accurately follow the setup instructions and when later they did follow the instructions they got set up correctly.
    • EWC with PNC has been pretty problematic over the last 10 months.  (I don't know about before that because I did not have a PNC account until 10 months ago.)  Lots of connection issues, error codes and download issues with EWC.  I don't recall having any DC issues since I upgraded to it. 
    • DC connections are very fast taking just a few seconds for each FI.  EWC connections can take much longer and the more FIs you try to update with EWC during OSU the longer it takes for each FI.  Example:  My PNC accounts with DC generally take <5 seconds to complete...<15 seconds in total for all 9 of my DC accounts.  It generally takes 1.5-2 minutes to update only 6 of my EWC accounts.
    • DC with PNC allows me to pay bills and make transfers between PNC accounts directly from within Quicken.  This is called Bank Bill Pay (not to be confused with Quicken's Bill Manager 3rd party bill pay service).
    • DC is a more secure connection than is EWC.  DC login information is saved only in your data file on your hard drive and when OSU is run the data goes directly from the FI to your data file.  EWC login information, however, is saved on a Quicken/aggregator server, not in the data file, so the aggregator can connect with the FI at night to get the data dump which then later gets downloaded to your data file when you next run OSU.
    I (and I think all Super Users) will almost always recommend DC over EWC for these same reasons.
    BTW, if you do decide to upgrade to DC, please be sure to follow the step-by-step instructions I provided on Aug 7 (at the bottom of the 1st page of this thread).  Yes, you will need to call PNC to request unique login information which they will mail to you.  Until you get the PIN from them and use it you will still be able to use EWC with PNC (assuming they get EWC fixed by then).
    I have some accounts that have been using DC and some that have been using EWC.  Since I already have DC set up for some accounts, would I still need to contact PNC for another pin specific for just the virtual wallet accounts? 
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    jrbuch said:

I have some accounts that have been using DC and some that have been using EWC.  Since I already have DC set up for some accounts, would I still need to contact PNC for another pin specific for just the virtual wallet accounts? 
    Since you already have the DC login info you can use that same DC login to upgrade or all of your EWC accounts that can be used with DC....so no need to contact PNC for a new PIN for your Virtual Wallet accounts.  Just follow the rest of the instructions I posted on Aug 7.

• unclebob1216
    unclebob1216 Member ✭✭
    Options
    logged on at 10:15 PM 8/14. I restored my 7/24/2022 file which is the last clean update. (I threw away all more recent attempts.)

10 years of checking account data were mostly intact but their register running balance was off by 212.78 for all transactions from 2010 to May of 2022.

I changed the beginning balance in 2010 which fixed most everything but my 8/11/2022 closing balance was still wrong.
    I found 3 transactions that showed in quicken but not on the PNC onlne statement not the snail mail.
    They are almost duplicates of older transactions but their dates are off by several weeks.
    I got things to reconcile by changing the bogus transaction dates to show year 2023 instead of 2022.

I am particularly sick of this because I am going on vacation tomorrow. So I am paying a few bills then I am going to forget the whole mess for a week. When I come back I will switch to direct connect. I am particularly excited to see that DC actually has more functionality than Virtual Wallet connections.
    two months ago my quicken stopped allowing me to setup new payees. Quicken support told me that I now have to set up new payees by inside of the PNC website then return to Quicken to schedule the actual transaction. This was very upsetting to me but they assured me it was necessary for security reasons. I hope that DC will improve that functionality.

Other notes for whoever is masochistic enough to want to read them.

I got cc-800 and a few other messages so I had to deactivate 4 of my PNC accounts. A fifth account for home equity was already deactivated.

I then reactivated the checking account and Quicken automatically applied EWC to all 5 accounts. 4 of the accounts were automatically link to the correct preexisting Quicken account. The home equity could not be linked so I had to ADD it with a slightly different name.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options

two months ago my quicken stopped allowing me to setup new payees. Quicken support told me that I now have to set up new payees by inside of the PNC website then return to Quicken to schedule the actual transaction. This was very upsetting to me but they assured me it was necessary for security reasons. I hope that DC will improve that functionality.
    With DC you will be able to set up your payees in Quicken and then schedule your payments directly from your checking account in Quicken.  When the payment command is sent PNC will populate the transaction in Quicken with the check number and the transaction will be linked to PNC so that when the status changes at PNC that status change will be noted in the transaction in Quicken when you run OSU.  Bank Bill Pay is a wonderful feature...and it is free!
    Now go and enjoy your vacation!

• SammyT
    SammyT Member
    Options
    Good Morning....Just reading through the comments about virtual wallet. I have no virtual wallet accounts, however I use the VWC for several of my money market accounts because they do not update properly with DC. This was a work around that PNC suggested about 1 year ago. Everything worked well until about a week ago. Today I am connecting with both VW and DC with no errors.
  • chriskay
    chriskay Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    SandsK said:
    I was also able to update this morning at 7:10 am BUT Quicken downloaded new separate accounts for each of my PNC accounts instead of downloading the new transactions into my already existing Quicken accounts. Now I have two separate accounts in Quicken for each of my PNC accounts instead of one up to date account! Even worse the new accounts have no historical data - they begin with transactions dated 6/12 or later. Has this happened to anyone else? Very frustrating because I will now have to manually update my original accounts or keep two separate accounts? Will have to think through how to proceed. If this happened to you and you were able to somehow seamlessly and painlessly correct it, please share your fix. Thank you!
    That's what happened to me. I deleted the new account and went back to manual qfx file download.
  • mccurley1973
    Options
    My quicken won't download my bank transactions for almost a month. I reset, reactivate, everything. I change the download methods. It still won't work. It will download one time if I go the the bank site and download from there but the very next time I use quicken, it won't work. It something new. I have never had any issues in the past. Bank is PNC Bank
  • jasonpbyu
    jasonpbyu Member ✭✭
    Options
    The merger was months ago, things worked fine until last weekend.> @mccurley1973 said:
    > My quicken won't download my bank transactions for almost a month. I reset, reactivate, everything. I change the download methods. It still won't work. It will download one time if I go the the bank site and download from there but the very next time I use quicken, it won't work. It something new. I have never had any issues in the past. Bank is PNC Bank

here's the official report of it, and over a week later they have no update. unreal.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917478/ongoing-8-15-22-pnc-bank-web-connect-cc-505-105#latest
  • carlosclarkmd
    carlosclarkmd Member ✭✭
    Options
    Since the connection fix Quicken has been horribly slow.. several minutes to load, close out, update, etc.. Anyone else having this issue?
  • carlosclarkmd
    carlosclarkmd Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @carlosclarkmd said:
    > Since the connection fix Quicken has been horribly slow.. several minutes to load, close out, update, etc.. Anyone else having this issue?

Apparently it is my internet connection.. if it's slow then Quicken will be slow. I changed WiFi spots and seems to be back at decent reaction times.
  • Kara1977
    Kara1977 Member
    Options
    Yes. Mine won't update the PNC bank account. I talked with technical support. Got it working only to have duplicate transactions where paychecks were listed as both income and expenses. Called back to technical support and got hung up saying the problem was me. Obviously, there are some major software issues going on with Quicken. It would be nice if it would be acknowledged.
  • bctaggart
    bctaggart Member
    Options
    PNC is simply not dowloading any transactions, although it claims to have updated.
  • steelerdru
    steelerdru Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    Jared on  8/22/22 quoted that this issue is RESOLVED, not for my quicken on 8/25/22
  • rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    My PNC accounts (checking and savings) have worked fine since about August 19th including today. I was not able to reliably update prior.
  • steelerdru
    steelerdru Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I'm Still not connecting with PNC Virtual Wallet .  Is anyone else having this problem?

• Robroy7
    Robroy7 Member
    Options
    today is September 6 and I have not been able to download entries or balance since I set up the account on August 8. HELP!!!
  • chriskay
    chriskay Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Still no web express connect.  Manual download only.
This discussion has been closed.